• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Alexis Lafreniere and the Rangers Reach a Critical Point

Pete

@Philjust saw your twitter posts from the Athletic, 

Can Laf go down to Hartford?  I thought after year 2 or games played he'd have to pass through waivers?  unless he's "hurt" put him on IR, and go down for 2 weeks of conditioning?  If he can go down to Hartford, it would probably be ideal to send him down around the All-Star Break so he can get some games down there, and maybe only miss 3-4 games up here before or after the break.  

2 hours ago, Phil said:

I just don't agree. It's not sunk cost at all. There's an entire playoffs ahead. The results of which would also dramatically influence the look and justification of this type of deal. If the Rangers win the Cup, in fact, they could arguably dump him for only one of the Habs' two picks, and it could be justified purely on finances alone.

I'm not saying this can't happen at the deadline. I just don't think it's nearly as likely to, because the implications of doing that deal and it not working is itself a fireable offense. I don't think Lafreniere is much to write home about at all, but he still has "first overall" brand value associated with his name. If they liquidate him and then get bounced in the first round, fans will call for Drury's head.

Let me clarify, because maybe sunk cost isn't the right term to use. If he is good rest of season, which is possible, a summer trade wouldn't even be on the table, so I think we agree that is not the scenario we are discussing. We are discussing a summer trade because we are assuming that means he wasn't good. If he's not good, he's a hole in the top 9 of a team that is trying to win a Cup and that hurts their chances of doing so. It also hurts his trade value even more by the summer compared to now. It's actually a pretty good double whammy to take on the chin and then turn around and trade him anyway. The two most optimal decisions here are to keep him through at least next season, or trade him at the deadline to improve this year's run (and the next couple years).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Heaven said:

@Philjust saw your twitter posts from the Athletic, 

Can Laf go down to Hartford?  I thought after year 2 or games played he'd have to pass through waivers?  unless he's "hurt" put him on IR, and go down for 2 weeks of conditioning?  If he can go down to Hartford, it would probably be ideal to send him down around the All-Star Break so he can get some games down there, and maybe only miss 3-4 games up here before or after the break.  

I believe he has to miss 5 consecutive games prior to even qualify for that conditioning stint too so you likely are talking about laf missing about 10-12 games

(Only for Junior eligible players, might not apply to Laf)

Edited by Keirik
Might not apply to LaFreniere.

Just now, Keirik said:

I believe he has to miss 5 consecutive games prior to even qualify for that conditioning stint too so you likely are talking about laf missing about 10-12 games

Oh yea you don’t wanna miss the 3 seconds of puck possession and the 4 shots he would take right into the goalies chest during that time period. 

I don't understand what people think will change about this player if he stays in this organization. 

Look at it like the Lundkvist situation.  There is no spot for him here in the upcoming years. There is no advancement opportunity. He's not forcing his way up. He's squandering his chances to give hope. 

He pretty much has to go. Why even resign him to a bridge? For what?  He doesn’t fit here currently or in 2 years. Especially if he is what he's shown in his Ranger career.  I don't want to be reminded of the failure if he's just a weak 3rd liner that was "supposed to be". His role can and should be filled by Othmann. 

He's going to be better elsewhere. There's no doubt about that. Come to terms that that is going to happen. He's not going to flourish here, unless there's a firesale and a total rebuild. Just like Edmonton had to take one on the chin with Hall, the Rangers need to do the same with Lafrenière. 

He's a goner and I  think he brings back more before the draft/offseason. Again.  This relationship is not going to end well. Get out as fast as possible.  Give up hope of getting equal value. Make the move that gives the team the best chance to win now, because that's the mode the team is in and the reason why there's no way for him to develop and prosper here. 

End the misery. 

• Like 3
  • Keeps it 100 1

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I don't understand what people think will change about this player if he stays in this organization. 

Look at it like the Lundkvist situation.  There is no spot for him here in the upcoming years. There is no advancement opportunity. He's not forcing his way up. He's squandering his chances to give hope. 

He pretty much has to go. Why even resign him to a bridge? For what?  He doesn’t fit here currently or in 2 years. Especially if he is what he's shown in his Ranger career.  I don't want to be reminded of the failure if he's just a weak 3rd liner that was "supposed to be". His role can and should be filled by Othmann. 

He's going to be better elsewhere. There's no doubt about that. Come to terms that that is going to happen. He's not going to flourish here, unless there's a firesale and a total rebuild. Just like Edmonton had to take one on the chin with Hall, the Rangers need to do the same with Lafrenière. 

He's a goner and I  think he brings back more before the draft/offseason. Again.  This relationship is not going to end well. Get out as fast as possible.  Give up hope of getting equal value. Make the move that gives the team the best chance to win now, because that's the mode the team is in and the reason why there's no way for him to develop and prosper here. 

End the misery. 

While I think there’s still time for him to develop- your other point is why I think ultimately he’s gone. Othman will take his spot. My guess is that this off season he’s gonna get traded. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

End the misery. 

Liked the post because it makes sense. I'm not entirely sure about pulling the plug yet, but this adds to the points I was making too re: deadline deal makes more sense than summer deal. If he's essentially a dead man walking with no role, then why wait?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Only on a conditioning stint. He requires waivers to be formally assigned.

Here's some of the quotes from Vally on Staple's podcast, for those interested:

That’s what I thought, then why sending him to Hartford for 2 weeks even mentioned in the article if it’s not even permitted? 

4 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

That’s what I thought, then why sending him to Hartford for 2 weeks even mentioned in the article if it’s not even permitted? 

Is it possible they can point to his huffing and puffing after long shifts to say, he needs conditioning? A Dr's note of some sort?

I really don't understand why they haven't sat Blais for atleast 5 consecutive games, to get him to Hartford.  At this point I'd rather see Carpenter back than see Blais. 

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Is there language around this?

There is with Shane Wrights situation. I don’t think that counts anymore for Laf as he’s 21 now and not junior eligible. I wonder if there is any language at all of qualifications but there is a negative one that could affect any possibilities. I’m not sure if it’s been ratified since this article but if not, I can’t see how Laf wouldn’t trigger this since he’s been playing. 

NHL Conditioning Assignment Rules

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

11 hours ago, Keirik said:

There is with Shane Wrights situation. I don’t think that counts anymore for Laf as he’s 21 now and not junior eligible. I wonder if there is any language at all of qualifications but there is a negative one that could affect any possibilities. I’m not sure if it’s been ratified since this article but if not, I can’t see how Laf wouldn’t trigger this since he’s been playing. 

This tracks with what I thought. If the player agrees, there appear to be no required qualifications. You just can't exceed 14 days.

9 hours ago, siddious said:

I think you’re all just mad because he’s right 

Awkward George Costanza GIF

Yup. Staple even mentioned it on the podcast, saying something to the effect of "he's not even not helping out there, he's sometimes hurting them."

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yup. Staple even mentioned it on the podcast, saying something to the effect of "he's not even not helping out there, he's sometimes hurting them."

He was out there for the Pp. Puck gets sent in deep, somehow donut boy is the first guy in, loses the puck battle and the puck is out. The next play the rangers had possession in the zone, pass came to Laf and he almost loses it, luckily it bounces to one of the other rangers. 

I think it was on the next pp he gets it in the zone and it’s immediately somehow going the other way. 

I didn’t wanna say it out loud but I was just thinking “there’s no way this kid is ever going to get it”.

maybe he can train with Crosby or something this off season I dunno