• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Barry Trotz: Yay or Nay?

BrooksBurner

Barry Trotz: yay or nay?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you on the Trotz wagon?

• Yes
    • No, but I'd make a coaching change
    • No, stick with Gallant

6 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Kakko has been growing on me. I’m not sure I’d trade him right now. Chytil is pacing 50 points without PP time. He’s not the problem unless he can’t shake the injury proneness.

I’d probably trade Miller. This guy has been severely overrated by Rangers fans. Myself included, except I’ve adjusted. I wondered out loud here over the summer if we might see a regression like we saw with Skjei after the first year or two. And sure enough… . My only concern however is his trajectory looks more like Hedman’s in a structured system. Hedman’s first 4 years were nothing to write home about. So again if they are thinking they swap coaches and go Trotz, yeah I’m not trading Miller.

Miller had a good playoff, but the comparison to Skjei might be spot on - @Drew a Penalty made a similar one a while back. There's definitely still a lot of buzz out there from his playoff performance, but anyone who has watched him this season knows what we're seeing now is more close to normal. Hopefully that blinds a few teams. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, LindG1000 said:

I don't know about Trotz in part because this roster is not built to play his style nor is our organization built for the path he wants, but I think I'm at the point where Gallant can take a hike. There is far too much talent on this team to not be scoring goals or not be defending effectively, and the lack of change has to fall on the coach at this point.

I think a coaching change fires the offense in the right direction, but I still think we need to fill a defensive spot so that Jones, Schneider, and Hajek (yeah, he's been fine) can keep learning the game they need to be playing to succeed at this level. We can't be a Lindgren injury away from a defensive death spiral at all times.

If Backstrom and Ovechkin can play Trotz’s system, this team can.

52 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

It took them a few years to buy into the Trotz system.

The results were almost immediate, it took four years to win the cup.

2014 (Missed Playoffs) - 2.74 GF/GP (13th), 2.79 GA/GP (21st)

2015 (Trotz Hired, 2nd Rd. Exit) - 2.79 GF/GP (7th), 2.43 GA/GP (7th)

2016 (2nd Rd. Exit) 3.02 GF/GP (2nd), 2.33 GA/GP (2nd)

2017 (2nd Rd. Exit) 3.18 GF/GP (3rd), 2.16 GA/GP (1st)

2018 (Won Cup) 3.12 GF/GP (9th), 2.90 GA/GP (16th)

The Capitals were a top 10 scoring team through all of Trotz's tenure in addition to being a strong defensive team. I don't know why people assume the Rangers couldn't become the same when they're not remotely built like the Islanders. Good coaches adapt to their personnel.

• Like 1
  • JIMMY! 4
  • Believe 2

4 hours ago, rmc51 said:

If Backstrom and Ovechkin can play Trotz’s system, this team can.

Just because this isn't a team built for Trotz's style of hockey does not mean that he won't figure out how to use it well. That said, the overwhelming majority of Trotz's career has been trying to figure out having almost no talent on forward. 15 years with Nashville and they had a few pieces moving in and out there (Kariya for a little while, a year or two of pre-shit Jason Arnott, a short window of Foppa, sure), but very little stellar up front. It's been a lot of "do more with less" - probably until 2016-17 where the Caps really came into their own and it was more than Ovechkin et al.

It's not a stretch to say that if Trotz were to coach this years' Rangers, they'd instantly be the most offensively talented team he's every coached. And that is different for a guy who has made his hay on the defensive end of things for the majority of his career.

Just seeing the name Ovechkin is a reminder of just how much of a unicorn he is. I don't think we have a single forward who plays with that kind of edge then there's the fact the guy is one of the best goal scorers of all time. Nice benefit to have as a coach.

• Keeps it 100 1

“I coach them every day. I want the best out of our players, I try to get the best out of our players, and I’m doing my job,” Gallant said. “Sometimes, it doesn’t work, but I’m the coach and the leader of the group, and like I said, I was disappointed with [Saturday’s 4-3 loss to Edmonton] like they were.”

“I think you have to be consistent. It’s a long season and like I said, I have emotion like our players, I played the game and [Saturday] was I upset? Yeah,” he said. “I wasn’t happy at all."

“Today, you come to the rink, and you get ready for the next game. You’ve got to be consistent with your message, consistent with your effort and come out there and have a good practice. [Saturday], you wanted to skate the asses off of them, and today, you want to get ready for New Jersey, a real good team. “You’re always fighting yourself in making those decisions and you try and do the best you can.”

https://nypost.com/2022/11/27/how-rangers-are-moving-forward-from-frustrating-defeat/

I don't get the impression from Gallant there that anything meaningful will happen. Larry fixates on line changes as if making too many adjustments is the issue. No amount of line changes will fix what's currently wrong with the team. If Gallant has to come out and say "I'm doing my job" then he's probably not doing good enough of a job.

23 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

https://nypost.com/2022/11/27/how-rangers-are-moving-forward-from-frustrating-defeat/

I don't get the impression from Gallant there that anything meaningful will happen. Larry fixates on line changes as if making too many adjustments is the issue. No amount of line changes will fix what's currently wrong with the team. If Gallant has to come out and say "I'm doing my job" then he's probably not doing good enough of a job.

Man—I hate to keep repeating myself, but it's really easy to see why this guy gets shit-canned so quickly. There are so many (negative) ways to take that comment..."I'm doing my job, but they aren't doing theirs", "I'm doing my job" but are you really doing it? Doing it well?

That's just not a good comment at this point in time.

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

Man—I hate to keep repeating myself, but it's really easy to see why this guy gets shit-canned so quickly. There are so many (negative) ways to take that comment..."I'm doing my job, but they aren't doing theirs", "I'm doing my job" but are you really doing it? Doing it well?

That's just not a good comment at this point in time.

Yep. Was gonna say it felt like Vigneault's comments during the final stretch after they dismantled his team. This isn't a team that needs a rebuild, though.

34 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

The reality is after a 4-3 loss in the third period; those guys should be punished and skated hard. Those guys earned to wheeze on the ice. They can recuperate and continue with "the message of consistency" you have been preaching Gerard after taking a lickin in practice.

I'm not an NHL coach but I am pretty well adept in human behavior. Lack of consequences allows for this pattern to continue. This team is gutless as evidenced by Trouba watching his stick glide down the ice after Draisaitl embarrassed him.

I pine for a Tortorella type locker room for these guys. ACCOUNTABILITY.

12 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Yep. Was gonna say it felt like Vigneault's comments during the final stretch after they dismantled his team. This isn't a team that needs a rebuild, though.

So they can draft Bedard and he winds up Jay Pandolfo? No thanks. 

52 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The reality is after a 4-3 loss in the third period; those guys should be punished and skated hard. Those guys earned to wheeze on the ice. They can recuperate and continue with "the message of consistency" you have been preaching Gerard after taking a lickin in practice.

I'm not an NHL coach but I am pretty well adept in human behavior. Lack of consequences allows for this pattern to continue. This team is gutless as evidenced by Trouba watching his stick glide down the ice after Draisaitl embarrassed him.

I pine for a Tortorella type locker room for these guys. ACCOUNTABILITY.

It would be a total PR nightmare but the Rangers should have 6 A’s rather than a captain. Maybe they did the right thing the last couple of years by not having a captain

44 minutes ago, Jdog99 said:

How bout if Trotz says no...whose the next best option?

Joel Quenneville. But he's Chernobyl in May of 1986 levels of radioactive for the foreseeable future.

Then, it's Babcock. Kind of the same problem.

Tocchet is out there and probably still well respected, but I imagine it would take quite a bit to get him out of the studio. Dave Tippett is available. Claude Julien. Alain Vigneault (yeah, seriously).

From there, it'd be "how do we pry Andrew Brunette from the Devils?", "is Marc Crawford far enough from the Blackhawks scandal to be hireable again?", or "we're choosing badly (lots of ways to go there)/going completely off the wall(Rikard Gronberg, perhaps?)"

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Joel Quenneville. But he's Chernobyl in May of 1986 levels of radioactive for the foreseeable future.

Then, it's Babcock. Kind of the same problem.

Tocchet is out there and probably still well respected, but I imagine it would take quite a bit to get him out of the studio. Dave Tippett is available. Claude Julien. Alain Vigneault (yeah, seriously).

From there, it'd be "how do we pry Andrew Brunette from the Devils?", "is Marc Crawford far enough from the Blackhawks scandal to be hireable again?", or "we're choosing badly (lots of ways to go there)/going completely off the wall(Rikard Gronberg, perhaps?)"

Suspect it either would be Trotz or promoting Knoblauch. 

MSG is not going to want to deal with the baggage of Quenneville.