• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Barry Trotz: Yay or Nay?

BrooksBurner

Barry Trotz: yay or nay?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you on the Trotz wagon?

• Yes
    • No, but I'd make a coaching change
    • No, stick with Gallant

4 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yup. It’s commonplace for Cup teams to not play well in October-November-December. 

That only lapses like 35 games. 

It’s important, yes. 
But not paramount.

What's a "Cup team" in this reference?

Because I can pull dozens of articles about teams out of the playoff bubble by US Thanksgiving miss the playoffs completely most of the time. 

So I'm gonna push back hard on this one... 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

What's a "Cup team" in this reference?

Because I can pull dozens of articles about teams out of the playoff bubble by US Thanksgiving miss the playoffs completely most of the time. 

So I'm gonna push back hard on this one... 

By that I mean teams that fancy themselves as contenders and would have at least fair support on that assertion by fans and the media. 

6 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

By that I mean teams that fancy themselves as contenders and would have at least fair support on that assertion by fans and the media. 

Got it, I thought you may have meant teams with a cup run hangover. 

Yeah, I think if you look into it you'll find that in most cases if you're not in the playoffs by thanksgiving, you don't make the playoffs. 

13 hours ago, Pete said:

Got it, I thought you may have meant teams with a cup run hangover. 

Yeah, I think if you look into it you'll find that in most cases if you're not in the playoffs by thanksgiving, you don't make the playoffs. 

And more specifically… when I said teams like that not playing well, I don’t mean awful.

I mean more in the realm of underachieving, choppy, inconsistent hockey like we’ve seen.

Not bottom of standings bad

I understand that being an NHL coach must be incredibly hard with athletes these days, but my God if he's not at the point of "if you don't do it my way you're going to sit" across the board, then he's just doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. 

Edited by Pete
  • Keeps it 100 1

On 11/16/2022 at 7:48 PM, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

That was my thought too.

But he’s not the actual rapist. He’s not irredeemable. 

But if he doesn’t coach again, the cancel culture is the operative why. 

Or, alternatively, the operative why is that Quenneville knew what happened to that poor kid and did nothing about it. If he never gets to coach an NHL team again it isn’t cancel culture, it’s common sense.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Gravesy said:

Or, alternatively, the operative why is that Quenneville knew what happened to that poor kid and did nothing about it. If he never gets to coach an NHL team again it isn’t cancel culture, it’s common sense.

The whole organization botched the thing. Top to bottom. But yeah… if he doesn’t coach again, so be it. 

2 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

His seat might be getting a little warmer.

It should be uncomfortably warm right now. Not enough to light a fire or burn the skin, but just enough to not feel comfortable.

The moment the team falls out of the playoffs picture—currently a one-point margin—I'd be making a move.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Phil said:

It should be uncomfortably warm right now. Not enough to light a fire or burn the skin, but just enough to not feel comfortable.

The moment the team falls out of the playoffs picture—currently a one-point margin—I'd be making a move.

By the time they arrive home and are ready to play next Saturday....we should know if Gallant is here for good this season or not. This teeter totter garbage isn't a way to make progress on last year.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 2

A lot of cup winners are in the dulldrums early the next season.  Semi-finalists?  No such excuse.

In 1992, the defending champ Pens looked like they were going to miss the playoffs before cruising to the cup.  On the other hand, in 1996, the defending champ Devils looked like they were going to miss the playoffs... and did.

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

A lot of cup winners are in the dulldrums early the next season.  Semi-finalists?  No such excuse.

In 1992, the defending champ Pens looked like they were going to miss the playoffs before cruising to the cup.  On the other hand, in 1996, the defending champ Devils looked like they were going to miss the playoffs... and did.

Dude, all of this was 30 years ago.

This is all before three-point games and wild card spots.

Bringing up stuff that happened three decades ago is completely irrelevant to today. 

10 hours ago, Pete said:

But the parameters by which you make the playoffs the next season are wildly different, so I will say again that it is totally irrelevant what happened in 1992. 

I'm not talking about making the playoffs.  I'm talking about champions having a hangover and underperforming for at least a significant period, whether they missed the playoffs or not.  Incidentally, it was easier to make the the playoffs in 1992 than now, as 16 of 22 teams made it rather than 16 of 32.  The danger of a funk leading to missing the playoffs is greater now.

2 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

I'm not talking about making the playoffs.  I'm talking about champions having a hangover and underperforming for at least a significant period, whether they missed the playoffs or not.  Incidentally, it was easier to make the the playoffs in 1992 than now, as 16 of 22 teams made it rather than 16 of 32.  The danger of a funk leading to missing the playoffs is greater now.

Ah, gotcha.