• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Barry Trotz: Yay or Nay?

BrooksBurner

Barry Trotz: yay or nay?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you on the Trotz wagon?

• Yes
    • No, but I'd make a coaching change
    • No, stick with Gallant

This is where a coach should be stepping in and yet Gallant is defaulting to his veteran group that has shown little ability to self-motivate. Never mind that the Rangers issues don't only come from a lack of fight, but a lack of a system to fall back on. Change isn't going to come while Gallant is here because he's only going to look to the players. If there were going to be any structural adjustments we would've seen them already because all we see is the same shit night after night.

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Drew a Penalty said:

This is where a coach should be stepping in and yet Gallant is defaulting to his veteran group that has shown little ability to self-motivate. Never mind that the Rangers issues don't only come from a lack of fight, but a lack of a system to fall back on. Change isn't going to come while Gallant is here because he's only going to look to the players. If there were going to be any structural adjustments we would've seen them already because all we see is the same shit night after night.

When did GG not hold back about the vets?

12 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

Agreed 100%, however.... there's always a however... 😉🤣

Will the Rangers fan do the same as the Devils fans?

Devils fans at the beginning of the season:

Devils fans a month later:

Just put it out there...

1 hour ago, Cr00zng said:

Agreed 100%, however.... there's always a however... 😉🤣

Will the Rangers fan do the same as the Devils fans?

Devils fans at the beginning of the season:

Devils fans a month later:

Just put it out there...

There are Devils fans? Are you sure about this?

“I don’t know whether it’s arrogance or what, but we consistently refuse to do the things we know we need to do to win games,” Chris Kreider told The Post after the Rangers blew a 3-0 third-period lead and lost 4-3 to the Oilers at the Garden on Saturday afternoon. “We talk about it, we know what we need to do to close out games but we don’t do it.

“I don’t know why. But it’s costing us games. Every loss, the same story.”

Another quote that tells you everything you need to know about the state of the team. No one has answers. Kreider and the team are completely lost and Gallant is putting the onus on them to figure it out. Figure what out? They have absolutely zero structure to fall back on. Where are the coaches to fix what's been going on?

The stats show the wheels falling off. The eye test shows the wheels falling off. At what point do you stop trying to Fred Flinstone the fucking car and admit there's a problem?

This is only going to get worse before it gets better. They play the Devils on Monday who will almost assuredly beat them, and it could get very ugly. The Devils are then followed up by a trio of trap games against Ottawa (x2) and Chicago.

It is not yet December, but really, it’s late already for the Rangers. They have won 10 of 22 games (10-8-4). They have won four of 11 (4-4-3) at the Garden. Perhaps it is getting late for Gallant.

Because games like these — and that’s plural — can cause repercussions.

https://nypost.com/2022/11/27/why-this-rangers-brutal-loss-is-even-worse-than-the-others/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4EverRangerFrank said:

The last intro at MSG before the game starts, “…and head coach Gerard Gallant.” At which time the crowd should chant,

”We don’t want you. We don’t want you.”

It’s time. 

Then in a month we chant “sorry Gerard!”?

• Cheers 1

From September:

https://theathletic.com/3619753/2022/09/23/barry-trotz-nhl-return-lebrun/?source=user_shared_article

“That was my summer,” Trotz said after summarizing all the comings and goings.

Time spent with his dad, with his family, and some plains, trains and automobiles across the continent.

All good.

But the pause in his coaching career is just that: a pause.

Trotz already feels refreshed, and the hunger to return is building within him.

“I’ve been staying pretty relevant, trust me. I’m watching and following everything,” said Trotz, a two-time Jack Adams Award winner as NHL coach of the year in 2016 and 2019.

And from October:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/barry-trotz-says-coaching-an-original-six-team-would-intrigue-him/sn-amp/

Is he ready to come back now?

“I think No. 1 is, I’m not quite there,” Trotz said on the Cam and Strick Podcast on Tuesday. “I think probably to get everything settled, I’m going to be into early December before I feel comfortable (that) I’ve got the family stuff in control and after that I’m probably going to have to take a little break, a week or two, to maybe go somewhere warm in the winter and then after that …”

Trotz said he still has a desire to return to the NHL and has been watching lots of games this season, keeping an eye on the league.

“I don’t know if any coach that takes a job in Canada ever wants to deal with it,” he said. “Original Six, for me, I have never coached an Original Six team. That would intrigue me … those teams always intrigue you. But the Canadian teams — you’re under the microscope. You sort of are in New York, too.

Trotz put the timeline essentially around the beginning of January and is fascinated by the idea of coaching an original 6 team. At this point, I think we kind of need to hope the Rangers continue with mediocrity for the next 4 weeks and don’t go on a fool’s gold hot streak.

Go. Get. Barry.

On 11/24/2022 at 12:31 PM, Pete said:

Normally a coach is owed a trade before he gets the axe.

Let's see what happens. 

He got Trocheck in FA instead of Strome. There’s no way that was just Drury’s decision without Gallant giving input on a guy who used to play for him. I’m not sure what potential trade we might be talking about here, but I have serious reservation about making any significant roster moves before a coaching move.

2 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

He got Trocheck in FA instead of Strome. There’s no way that was just Drury’s decision without Gallant giving input on a guy who used to play for him. I’m not sure what potential trade we might be talking about here, but I have serious reservation about making any significant roster moves before a coaching move.

I wouldn't care if they fired him right now. I'm just saying I think he gets a trade before they pull the trigger on firing him. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

I wouldn't care if they fired him right now. I'm just saying I think he gets a trade before they pull the trigger on firing him. 

Frightening, because if we assume nobody with a no trade/move clause is waiving, it only leaves a select few players with any value that could be in a trade (Kakko, Laf, Chytil, primarily). Or Drury empties the draft pick cupboard to make a trade happen to try and rejuvenate the team, which I suppose is possible.

7 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Frightening, because if we assume nobody with a no trade/move clause is waiving, it only leaves a select few players with any value that could be in a trade (Kakko, Laf, Chytil, primarily). Or Drury empties the draft pick cupboard to make a trade happen to try and rejuvenate the team, which I suppose is possible.

Best trade chips right now that will fetch us a decent return are Miller and Kakko imo. Miller would be pursued by A LOT of teams due to his size and potential. Kakko was a #2 OA that just hasn't had the opportunity or chemistry here. I feel like a lot of teams would also pursue him heavily. But what are we looking for in return?

I'd rather package Miller and Chytil for a better center. And then utilize the 1st round picks and Cuylle for Pat Kane. Who takes Millers spot on D though? Hmmmm.

I don't know about Trotz in part because this roster is not built to play his style nor is our organization built for the path he wants, but I think I'm at the point where Gallant can take a hike. There is far too much talent on this team to not be scoring goals or not be defending effectively, and the lack of change has to fall on the coach at this point.

I think a coaching change fires the offense in the right direction, but I still think we need to fill a defensive spot so that Jones, Schneider, and Hajek (yeah, he's been fine) can keep learning the game they need to be playing to succeed at this level. We can't be a Lindgren injury away from a defensive death spiral at all times.

Think about the Rangers last 3 head coaches

Alain Vigneault - Players Coach

David Quinn - Rookie NHL Head Coach 

Gerard Gallant - Ultimate Players Coach

They need a drill sergeant at this point to hold this team/players accountable, to kick them in the ass, to have some structure and not let these fools do whatever they want on the ice.  

The point of a coaching change would be to get fresh eyes on underperforming talent.  You're not going to get a new system installed smoothly in the middle of the season.  Some of the players won't be fits and others won't fully buy in until they see it working and it's likely just to be a grindy two months for everybody after the change.

The problems the Rangers have right now are pretty simple and they had most of them last season as well.

1.  They don't defend well in front of the net.  There's always somebody hanging in front of the net and when a loose puck happens there we get a nasty surprise.  Why are the Rangers big defensemen paired?  I get that K'Andre Miller doesn't play to his size in terms of bodywork but the answer there is to pair him with Fox and coach him into playing more physically in front of the net.

2. They don't take quick shots when they penetrate.  They're always looking to make the next pass in a never-ending sequence.  It's been a shocker lately when Panarin actually took a few shots on the rush because he's the guy everybody else is looking to emulate when they do the pass-pass-pass thing.

3. They don't take enough shots from the point.  These are low percentage shots but every even strength shot is a low percentage shot for the Rangers the last couple of years.

4. They don't establish a presence at the edge of the crease often enough.  This is because guys are running around looking to make or take another third pass too often in even strength.  This is probably also why the point shots aren't coming - hard to justify making the shot when there are no screens and nobody there to manage a rebound if it happens.

5.  For some reason despite being one of the better 5v5 goal scorers on the team Lafreniere is still having to fight for ice time.  I mean what is up with that?  Yeah he is slumping this season but it's the second season in a row that he's been mostly in a secondary role.  How the fuck can you justify putting Jimmy Vesey on line 1 even temporarily while Lafreniere is on line 3?

If GG is looking for the players to sort all of this out he's certainly making some head-scratching decisions along the way.

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

Best trade chips right now that will fetch us a decent return are Miller and Kakko imo. Miller would be pursued by A LOT of teams due to his size and potential. Kakko was a #2 OA that just hasn't had the opportunity or chemistry here. I feel like a lot of teams would also pursue him heavily. But what are we looking for in return?

I'd rather package Miller and Chytil for a better center. And then utilize the 1st round picks and Cuylle for Pat Kane. Who takes Millers spot on D though? Hmmmm.

Kakko has been growing on me. I’m not sure I’d trade him right now. Chytil is pacing 50 points without PP time. He’s not the problem unless he can’t shake the injury proneness.

I’d probably trade Miller. This guy has been severely overrated by Rangers fans. Myself included, except I’ve adjusted. I wondered out loud here over the summer if we might see a regression like we saw with Skjei after the first year or two. And sure enough… . My only concern however is his trajectory looks more like Hedman’s in a structured system. Hedman’s first 4 years were nothing to write home about. So again if they are thinking they swap coaches and go Trotz, yeah I’m not trading Miller.

Edited by rmc51
  • TroCheckmark 1