• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Barry Trotz: Yay or Nay?

BrooksBurner

Barry Trotz: yay or nay?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you on the Trotz wagon?

• Yes
    • No, but I'd make a coaching change
    • No, stick with Gallant

If they were to change the coach I would go for Trotz, but I still think it's too early. Yes the team hasn't looked too good lately, but we're 14 games away from a very unexpected Conference Final. They've had bad luck, played almost half the games a player short (Kravtsov x3, Chytil, Lindgren all left games early), they've had a goalie play way below his level and a backup that's struggled in the beginning.

The leash is getting shorter, but I still think even the talks about this is premature. If we're a under .500% after 30 games you should start to think about it. If we're falling way behind in the playoffs race you have to pull the trigger.

• Cheers 1

The thing with Trotz, isnt he a defensive style coach who will bore everyone to sleep?  Didnt he have a tight leash around Barzal's neck and try to reign him in, therefore Barzal was neutered offensively.  Wasnt there a power struggle between Ovie and Trotz until Ovie was basically forced to change his game to play more defensive?  Also, doesnt Trotz not really like/trust young players?  Its a dicey situation if Dolan would bring Trotz in b/c it could ruin the teams dynamic especially when they are in win now mode.  

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

It’s still too early. Way too early IMO. 
They’ve got 80% of the schedule remaining, and while it hasn’t been good and there are obvious issues, it hasn’t been disastrously bad, it’s November, and they’ve played 14 games. 

That said, if Gallant doesn’t make adjustments and improvements, and this trend continues, then it’s something they seriously need to look at doing, and Trotz would absolutely be at the top of the list. And I think he could absolutely be had. And you pay him whatever he wants. 

Adjustments need to be made. Period. 

Id start with splitting the top 2 defensive pairings when Lindgren gets back. This needs to happen.

Play Miller with Fox and Lindgren with Trouba, and deploy Lindgren-Trouba as your shutdown pair. 

Id also look at forming a 3rd line that’s an actual shutdown line too.

Maybe Blais-Goodrow-Kakko?

Or if it’s only a situational thing, I’d go with Some combination of Trochek/Goodrow/Kakko/Kreider in that role and deploy them as needed. 

Don’t know why he hasn’t tried these things yet. 

They are pretty obvious to me. You try them. If it works, great.

If not, move on. But you tried it. 

7 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

The thing with Trotz, isnt he a defensive style coach who will bore everyone to sleep?  Didnt he have a tight leash around Barzal's neck and try to reign him in, therefore Barzal was neutered offensively.  Wasnt there a power struggle between Ovie and Trotz until Ovie was basically forced to change his game to play more defensive?  Also, doesnt Trotz not really like/trust young players?  Its a dicey situation if Dolan would bring Trotz in b/c it could ruin the teams dynamic especially when they are in win now mode.  

Agree but it’s dicey because you’re in win now mode. 

They’re on a slippery slope.

I felt Gallant was the right coach when hired.

And I still think he can get it done. But maybe he’s too much of a player’s coach sometimes who won’t try or implement some things because he doesn’t want to cause upset with certain players or introduce uncomfortability or unfamiliarity.

Case in point… Panarin not wanting to play with Kakko. Or not putting Chytil on the RW of Kreider and Zib when we’ve seen that work some before in a small sampling.

12 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

And also, doesn't he...

spacer.png

15 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

That's exactly what this team needs atm tho. Just imagine this team with a 5v5 structure like Trotz teams play + the lethal PP + Igor in goal.

I wanted Torts instead of Gallant. Like Trotz, he can seemingly get the most out of a roster, regardless of the players on the team, because of his committment to defense. I’d wait a little longer here, but there is no doubt Trotz has to be the guy if it comes down to a coaching change. I think most have overrated our defensemen in their own zone. In particular Trouba, Miller, Schneider, and sometimes Fox can be wishy washy. A unicorn coach like Torts/Trotz, who can take just about any roster and start ranking near the top in defensive metrics, is probably warranted here to cover up the lack of defensive ability of the group as a whole.

I don’t blame Gallant nearly as much as I blame the players for porous defense, but we all know it’s harder to change the players.

Edited by rmc51

48 minutes ago, Morphinity 2.0 said:

Yes. Team needs structure. He provides structure, not just vibes. 

This. The offensive players want to wheel, which they can continue to do where it's most effective: on the power play. The current 5v5 game isn't good, so I don't see the point of protecting it from a more rigid defensive structure. They have the elite goaltender Trotz would need already. It's a matter of providing real structure to the defense and to the way the team approaches protecting in their own zone.

What a horrible fit for this roster. 

I’ll always comment about how Gallant doesn’t do much - but sometimes that’s fine. This team has so many players, options, skilled young guys - They have potential to have 3 dynamic and vastly different offensive line and an ideal 4th line. They just haven’t been put in a place to succeed and they haven’t figured it out yet. A guy like Gallant allowing those lines to play their own style could be a huge benefit 

8 minutes ago, josh said:

What a horrible fit for this roster. 

I’ll always comment about how Gallant doesn’t do much - but sometimes that’s fine. This team has so many players, options, skilled young guys - They have potential to have 3 dynamic and vastly different offensive line and an ideal 4th line. They just haven’t been put in a place to succeed and they haven’t figured it out yet. A guy like Gallant allowing those lines to play their own style could be a huge benefit 

i hear Trotz likes Pastel de Natas

Trotz is a winner and I think his style could work here.  A defensively responsible style with an elite goaltender is a recipe for success even if it isn't always the most exciting brand of hockey.

One name I keep coming back to is Rick Tocchet.   The Rangers interviewed him but ultimately went with Gallant.   He did a lot with a little with that Coyotes team.   I'm wondering why they ultimately passed on him and he didn't get another head coaching job and went into broadcasting.

Imagine the idea of building your team around your best player, Igor.  What a crazy idea.  Makes to much sense, I'd rather trade Kakko for Patrick Kane.  

At this point anybody but Gallant should suffice.  I despised AV's freewheeling hockey.  At least he seemed to have an identity.  I have zero idea what Gallant has done to improve any individual player or any aspect of the team as a whole.  

I wanted Torts too for the record.

Im pissed at the result from last night and I think this team has some issues that need to be corrected. 

WIth that said, the way this team succeeds is being a high offense first team and leaning on their goalie when needed.

Trotz would stifle that. He's a all defense coach. I don't think we have the players for his system he would implement. He'd be a bad fit here

• Cheers 1

i hit the trotz button...but can agree its probably too soon.

also, im not big on an overly defensive scheme.

I want to see the Rangers that came storming out of the gate the first few games, looking like they were going to drop 5 a game this season.

but you can't argue with a winner.