• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Barry Trotz: Yay or Nay?

BrooksBurner

Barry Trotz: yay or nay?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Are you on the Trotz wagon?

• Yes
    • No, but I'd make a coaching change
    • No, stick with Gallant

3 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Suspect it either would be Trotz or promoting Knoblauch. 

MSG is not going to want to deal with the baggage of Quenneville. 

Well, my man asked if Trotz says no....I'm just surveying the field.

I do agree that there's little to no chance that Quenneville gets hired, but he is unquestionably the best coach without a contract right this moment.

5 minutes ago, Lord Al said:

Trots lives in Nashville. Just bought a brand new house there special needs child in a very important school there . Reportedly, he will become the president and general manager of the Nashville predators after the season.

So you're saying he's available today? 

21 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Joel Quenneville. But he's Chernobyl in May of 1986 levels of radioactive for the foreseeable future.

Then, it's Babcock. Kind of the same problem.

Tocchet is out there and probably still well respected, but I imagine it would take quite a bit to get him out of the studio. Dave Tippett is available. Claude Julien. Alain Vigneault (yeah, seriously).

From there, it'd be "how do we pry Andrew Brunette from the Devils?", "is Marc Crawford far enough from the Blackhawks scandal to be hireable again?", or "we're choosing badly (lots of ways to go there)/going completely off the wall(Rikard Gronberg, perhaps?)"

I would hope if ADA's twitter account is more than can be tolerated that a coach who turned a blind eye to a player being raped by his assistant would be a non starter.  

5 minutes ago, cupalife said:

I would hope if ADA's twitter account is more than can be tolerated that a coach who turned a blind eye to a player being raped by his assistant would be a non starter.  

Yes, obviously, that's the point of saying he's radioactive. As in you won't go near him. 

3 minutes ago, cupalife said:

"for the foreseeable future". Sounds like you think at some point he will be given another chance.  Am I reading that wrong?

I'm not ruling out the possibility that the NHL - a league in which two teams have tried to take a crack at a racist sociopath in under 18 months, in which players have been credibly accused of sexual assault and kept playing, in which players have been asked to dope themselves up on painkillers to keep going leading directly to deaths and suicides, and much, much more I can't recall off the top of my head (didn't Craig MacTavish kill a woman?) - will not change and will offer him another chance. 

I'll believe the league changes when it does. For now, I'll bank on someone taking a shot at Q at some point in the future. It won't be us, and it won't be now, but it would not at all shock me to see him coaching again.

On 11/28/2022 at 11:22 PM, LindG1000 said:

I'm not ruling out the possibility that the NHL - a league in which two teams have tried to take a crack at a racist sociopath in under 18 months, in which players have been credibly accused of sexual assault and kept playing, in which players have been asked to dope themselves up on painkillers to keep going leading directly to deaths and suicides, and much, much more I can't recall off the top of my head (didn't Craig MacTavish kill a woman?) - will not change and will offer him another chance. 

I'll believe the league changes when it does. For now, I'll bank on someone taking a shot at Q at some point in the future. It won't be us, and it won't be now, but it would not at all shock me to see him coaching again.

It’s still too soon for Q I think.

But yes, it’s a decent possibility he’ll get another shot 

On 11/28/2022 at 11:05 PM, cupalife said:

For the time being, yes. But guys have gotten second chances and come back from worse. Q made a terrible decision and the Hawks organization completely mishandled the thing from the beginning. By that I mean, before the actual incident. I don’t assume NHL coaches do the vetting of potential hires themselves, so you’d have to assume they either missed his history, or ignored it. 

Now, if Q was informed of it before the hire, if that can be established, that’s another story. But I don’t believe that’s what happened but whether he knew or not beforehand hasn’t been made public.

Its a slippery slope for any team that might consider hiring him. And when you consider his age too, it might be over for him. 

Lil'John, not a serious candidate. But there has never been a collection of hockey player like this who skate around indifferent to trying to score goals. Get a lead, and then play like trying to generate scoring chances is beneath them, uncool, better to try to make an impossible pass or 7. And defensively, there is really nothing that looks like structure. If anyone gets the puck in the defensive zone, no sense they do anything else than making a panicked blind pass. There were numerous NYR who had a chance to steady themselves, burn clock and make a decent pass out of the zone  when Sens pulled the goalie. None did. Just flailing. 

When your newly minted captain handles the puck like a grenade and is out of position more often than not that's not a good thing, right?  To me that's a lack of brain cells, running out of talent sure coaching. In the end a deadly combination. 

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

On 12/3/2022 at 6:41 AM, Pete said:

What's mind boggling to me is coaches would rather be fired than do something radical like scratch Trouba, Kreider, and Miller. Take the L, you're fucking losing anyway. Get your pound of flesh. 

You don't that move though right?  I suggested it in another thread and you called out benching guys with letters as a pee wee hockey move.

2 hours ago, Bieser said:

You don't that move though right?  I suggested it in another thread and you called out benching guys with letters as a pee wee hockey move.

I think it is, that's why I called it radical. But I think it's human nature for frustration to take over at some point and you start sitting players that aren't performing or doing what you're asking them to do.

Instead we see guys do literally nothing lost after loss after loss. Swapping in Jones for Hajek and Krav for Carpenter are like fringe moves. 

• Bullseye 1

Total speculation from a relatively casual fan with not a single connection to an insider...but i think if Trotz was interested Drury would've already made the move (at least post the Chicago game). He doesn't strike me as gun shy.

Edited by Jdog99

• 2 weeks later...

Barry Trotz said it's unlikely he returns to coaching this season while he continuing to take care of family matters.

"I don't know yet," the 60-year-old said on the latest episode of "The Chirp with Daren Millard" podcast. "I'm deciding. There's a couple teams that reached out and I said I'm not there yet. I'm probably going to take the rest of the year off and see where I am. It's still a part of me but I'm going to continue to stay true to myself and my family right now."

https://www.nhl.com/news/barry-trotz-talks-coaching-future-alex-ovechkin-on-the-chirp-with-daren-millard/c-338788188

On 12/14/2022 at 5:46 PM, Keirik said:

So I am kind of sour on Trotz.  Great coach.  But if you want a break, stop doing press.  Do not talk about interest in an original 6 coaching gig.  Just spend time with your family, golf, play poker, whatever.  'I don't want a job right now, but don't forget about me' (?) Or 'I love the limelight, please don't stop talking about what a great coach I am' (?)

• Cheers 1
  • Applause 1

If the timing works out, maybe all the smoke and bullshit surrounding Quenneville blows over and maybe we get a shot at him.  I think he'd be perfect for the Rangers.  I wanted Rod the Bod too, but he's taken now.

Here's hoping Quenneville gets another shot!