• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

18 hours ago, Pete said:

Teams are practicing less and less due to conditioning/wear and tear. 

The Athletic had an article about how the Wild IIRC barely practice. 

Just another wierd change to life as we once knew it..... I get why my Grandpa seemed so out of touch growing up....because staying up to date with things is so time consuming. Trying to understand it all.

In a few years, they won't practice at all outside of VR and riding the peloton.

3 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

Just another wierd change to life as we once knew it..... I get why my Grandpa seemed so out of touch growing up....because staying up to date with things is so time consuming. Trying to understand it all.

In a few years, they won't practice at all outside of VR and riding the peloton.

There's a science to it that wasn't there before. These are elite athletes who are only going to get so much better, seems better that they conserve their energy for games and work on skills over the summer and in training camp. 

Vince also said on his pod that leading up to the break (which was only 2 days), they had a schedule of something like six games in nine nights. They needed the rest. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

There's a science to it that wasn't there before. These are elite athletes who are only going to get so much better, seems better that they conserve their energy for games and work on skills over the summer and in training camp. 

Vince also said on his pod that leading up to the break (which was only 2 days), they had a schedule of something like six games in nine nights. They needed the rest. 

Just odd that coaches constantly bring up how well a player practices and all that, to reason for player benchings/scratches . Yet they don't really practice often enough for a coach to make such claims. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Just odd that coaches constantly bring up how well a player practices and all that, to reason for player benchings/scratches . Yet they don't really practice often enough for a coach to make such claims. 

Whether or not a player plays hard in practice has nothing to do with how often they practice. 

20 minutes ago, Pete said:

Whether or not a player plays hard in practice has nothing to do with how often they practice. 

It does if it's a coaches go to reasoning for scratching or dressing players. Can't show the coach the supposed needed efforts in practice if they hardly ever practice. 

Not that it's been used as a reason by Gallant very often this season,  but it was last season. Pretty sure we heard about Hunts amazing efforts from Dumb Dumb most of last season. 

Just a nit pick. 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

It does if it's a coaches go to reasoning for scratching or dressing players. Can't show the coach the supposed needed efforts in practice if they hardly ever practice. 

Not that it's been used as a reason by Gallant very often this season,  but it was last season. Pretty sure we heard about Hunts amazing efforts from Dumb Dumb most of last season. 

Just a nit pick. 

I don't think I've ever heard a coach actually use that phrase when the team hasn't practiced LOL. 

51 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

According to Mollie Walker Lindgren & Motte are game time decisions tomorrow.

Motte playing D and Lindgren playing 4th line....useless unthinkable changes no one asked for ....right in Gallants wheelhouse.

• LOL 1

58 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Where's Lindgren?

I never realized how important a piece of the puzzle that guy is until he's out!

Lindgren is the Rangers best defenseman in transition.  He's the guy most likely to get back and break up a play.  That's because that's his job and he has the speed to do it.

• VINNY! 1

8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Lindgren is the Rangers best defenseman in transition.  He's the guy most likely to get back and break up a play.  That's because that's his job and he has the speed to do it.

Fox has been rough on that way...

8 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Fox has been rough on that way...

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

I have seen enough of Fox without Lindgren to make keeping the latter a priority over Miller, Chytil, LaF etc.  I don't care if he's prone to wear down at 30 ala Girardi.

And Lindgren will only be 26 at the start of his next contract. I would give him 6 or 7 years to keep the AAV down, which might be 2 or 3 years too long, and worry about the backend of it later. For comparison, Girardi was signed to a 6 year deal at age 30, taking him to 36. This isn't that.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

15 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

And Lindgren will only be 26 at the start of his next contract. I would give him 6 or 7 years to keep the AAV down, which might be 2 or 3 years too long, and worry about the backend of it later. For comparison, Girardi was signed to a 6 year deal at age 30, taking him to 36. This isn't that.

That’s exactly what they need to do with him.

I don’t think he’ll be much after age 30-31, but if it’s only a year or two, 5 years from now, who cares?

16 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Agreed with this philosophy but you're a year late, he'll be 26 but halfway to 27. I think you can get him at $4x5. He's got it pretty good here and I think he knows it. 

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agreed with this philosophy but you're a year late, he'll be 26 but halfway to 27. I think you can get him at $4x5. He's got it pretty good here and I think he knows it. 

I was figuring closer to mid $5s on value. $4 seems a little low when he’s playing top pairing minutes and it’s proving out how obvious of a cog he is on the team. If he’s willing to settle at 5 years then that’s probably the sweet spot though. A 5 year contract would expire with Fox’s contract.

34 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I was figuring closer to mid $5s on value. $4 seems a little low when he’s playing top pairing minutes and it’s proving out how obvious of a cog he is on the team. If he’s willing to settle at 5 years then that’s probably the sweet spot though. A 5 year contract would expire with Fox’s contract.

That's def his market value. I was wondering if he would take a team friendly deal, on the other hand he really can't afford to leave money on the table while his body isn't completely mangled yet.