• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

7 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I think this tells an accurate story. Most facets they are very good, except 5v5 defense is average and average defense isn't usually good enough to get it done when it counts.

Agreed. 

Not only that, but when all else fails they can't just "clamp down" and wait for an opportunity. They don't have anything to clamp to... 

Edited by Pete

32 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agreed. 

Not only that, but when all else fails they can't just "clamp down" and wait for an opportunity. They don't have anything to clamp to... 

Right. ALA Tampa in close games last 3 years. So good at clogging everything up and exhibiting patience waiting for the other team to make the mistake.

Not to mention for protecting a lead either. I don’t even trust this team up 2-3 goals in the 3rd.

Is it possible to still win? Yes. A ticket to the show gives you a chance. Just not a maximized one if the simple things can’t be done defensively.

I’m pretty worried the team is too competitive to make a coaching change to someone who can get the team playing this way when needed, and will be competitive for a few seasons but top out short of the prize. But hey, maybe I’m wrong about GG.

Edited by rmc51
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Right. ALA Tampa in close games last 3 years. So good at clogging everything up and exhibiting patience waiting for the other team to make the mistake.

Not to mention for protecting a lead either. I don’t even trust this team up 2-3 goals in the 3rd.

Is it possible to still win? Yes. A ticket to the show gives you a chance. Just not a maximized one if the simple things can’t be done defensively.

I’m pretty worried the team is too competitive to make a coaching change to someone who can get the team playing this way when needed, and will be competitive for a few seasons but top out short of the prize. But hey, maybe I’m wrong about GG.

I hope your wrong but I almost feel the same way. This team is missing the bear down, clog up the neutral zone and send pucks deep to keep the puck out of your own zone. That type of hockey is integral come playoff time and this team doesn't know how to do it. That's a coaching issue.

On 12/23/2022 at 8:39 AM, Pete said:

Agreed. 

When your best player is inappropriate in almost any defensive scheme it makes it hard to have the system you so desperately want.

At some point you're going to have to concede that the Rangers freewheeling offense - led by Artemi Panarin - is also the thing that makes it extremely unlikely they can put a grind-grind-grind defensive system in play.

12 minutes ago, Br4d said:

When your best player is inappropriate in almost any defensive scheme it makes it hard to have the system you so desperately want.

At some point you're going to have to concede that the Rangers freewheeling offense - led by Artemi Panarin - is also the thing that makes it extremely unlikely they can put a grind-grind-grind defensive system in play.

This is patently false. There are plenty of teams who's best offensive player is not their best defensive player. 

It's just another empty talking point for the agenda. 

Panarin actually garnered Selke votes his first year here. If there was a defensive plan at all, I'm sure he'd partake.

But there isn't. So he doesn't. 

Edited by Pete
  • Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Applause 2

43 minutes ago, Pete said:

This is patently false. There are plenty of teams who's best offensive player is not their best defensive player. 

It's just another empty talking point for the agenda. 

Panarin actually garnered Selke votes his first year here. If there was a defensive plan at all, I'm sure he'd partake.

But there isn't. So he doesn't. 

We’ve all seen Panarin make some very good plays defensively and be a guy who is aware and responsible there when he needs and wants to be.

That is to say… he’s actually a good defender. 

Yes… it’s secondary to his offensive game, as it should be. And no… due to his size, there won’t be a physical element to his game. 

Guy can fit into anywhere. 

What's the point with this? Don't need to turn everything upside-down just because of one bad game. Laf on the 4th line (or even scratched)?? He's not looked good and it could probably be good for him to watch a game or two from the stands, but this isn't really the time to do it. The kid has 7 points in the last 10 games and the kid line has looked good the last few weeks, so I don't get this.

Chytil who's been amazing so far this season and is currently our best 5v5 forward is being put on a 3rd line with Kravtsov and Gauthier? Kravtsov on his off-wing as well.

• Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I get his point, but if the problem is inconsistency I don’t think changing the lines after every loss is the right answer.

100%. The roster that played last night should be trotted back out tomorrow night. The team was playing so well pre break. This guy can't help himself. Switching lines mid game and every other game is not going to get them going. Give better pre game speeches. Motivate them. Make an unexpected scratch of a vet who isn't producing. Get the team to buy in. This haphazard coaching style is not going to win a championship. It just isn't.

9 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

100%. The roster that played last night should be trotted back out tomorrow night. The team was playing so well pre break. This guy can't help himself. Switching lines mid game and every other game is not going to get them going. Give better pre game speeches. Motivate them. Make an unexpected scratch of a vet who isn't producing. Get the team to buy in. This haphazard coaching style is not going to win a championship. It just isn't.

I agree. Just roll. 

In actuality, they generated plenty of shots and chances last night. Just off. 

• Cheers 1