• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Reports From the Rink

Drew a Penalty

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

As does Vesey. That's the biggest reality. 

The process of elimination isn't very hard here. 

50 goal scorer who has had tremendous chemistry with Zibanejad for a few years. 

PTO guy who hasn't sustained any chemistry with anyone anywhere since maybe 2019.

One of these players doesn't belong with Zibanejad. Or in the top 6. 

But yeah, removing the 50 goal scorer from the top 6 is more likely the reason that the team looks much better. Attitude and all. 

The teams abysmal play and moping attitude STARTED when Vesey was pushed up the lineup. 

It looks to have reversed itself immediately after he was put back WHERE HE BELONGS, in the bottom 6. 

Yes, you're right. Just moving Vesey changed, everything. That must have been it all along.

spacer.png

4 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Well if Drury didn’t make the mind boggling 1 year extension to Reaves, could have kept Rooney. 

I really just miss Motte. Solves an issue of redundancy.  Team needs an energy player that can PK. Blais ain't it. Vesey can but doesn't bring the desired energy level.  

Carpenter was brought here to be a PK expert. He's had experience killing penalties. They just didn't realize he was good at it before they signed him. 

Not sure Brodzinski is a permanent fixture, simply because he's not a PK guy and he's not cracking the top 9. 

Gotta be some kind of minor move coming. Maybe a Rooney for Gauthier swap (maybe with Calgary retaining a huge chunk) if/when Rooney clears waivers? Calgary would be a good place for Gauthier to get a chance. 

48 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I really just miss Motte. Solves an issue of redundancy.  Team needs an energy player that can PK. Blais ain't it. Vesey can but doesn't bring the desired energy level.  

Carpenter was brought here to be a PK expert. He's had experience killing penalties. They just didn't realize he was good at it before they signed him. 

Not sure Brodzinski is a permanent fixture, simply because he's not a PK guy and he's not cracking the top 9. 

Gotta be some kind of minor move coming. Maybe a Rooney for Gauthier swap (maybe with Calgary retaining a huge chunk) if/when Rooney clears waivers? Calgary would be a good place for Gauthier to get a chance. 

Gauthier is heads and shoulders better than Rooney.

18 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Which means he's a goner. And like I said, they could maybe get Calgary to eat half his salary, making up for how much better Gauthier is. 

Trust me. I want to keep Gauthier (you new around here????)  But I don't see much of a future here for him and I think the Rangers really want to get an asset for him before he walks as UFA this summer. They certainly don't plan on giving him a bigger role.  Sucks, but I don’t think he makes it here past the deadline. 

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Which means he's a goner. And like I said, they could maybe get Calgary to eat half his salary, making up for how much better Gauthier is. 

Trust me. I want to keep Gauthier (you new around here????)  But I don't see much of a future here for him and I think the Rangers really want to get an asset for him before he walks as UFA this summer. They certainly don't plan on giving him a bigger role.  Sucks, but I don’t think he makes it here past the deadline. 

You’re just trying to act impartial about Gauthier. Gauthier for even a retained Rooney would be utterly awful. He can have a future here. RWs aren’t exactly pounding down the door around here

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Better? Yes

More valuable? Probably not.

Rooney plays center, is average or better in. terms of defensive responsibility, and kills penalties. 

Not advocating for Rooney. 
Agree Gauthier is better.

But he brings a different skill set and plays a completely separate and different role.

We don't need Rooney. This is a great lineup when they play with purpose. 

Laf Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Kravtsov

Kreider Trochek Vesey

Blais Goodrow Gauthier

Cullye (as an extra)

That 4th line just needs to keep opposition pinned in their zone. 

• Bullseye 1
  • The Chyt! 1

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

Better? Yes

Rooney plays center, is average or better in. terms of defensive responsibility, and kills penalties. 

But he brings a different skill set and plays a completely separate and different role.

Rooney is trash though. 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Better? Yes

Pretty much this.  

14 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I know you love Gauthier bro. But what are you expecting there?

And I get why too… great size and skating with a 1st round pedigree.

But… 

He’s 25, 6 years removed from his draft class. He’s  produced 9 goals as an NHL’er in 119 games. Has no other virtue to his game. 
And on a roster that had ample room and opportunities at his position, he can’t make or stay on the club or in the lineup.

Don’t know what you’re looking for there?

Im fine with him as a 13/14th forward. 
If he gets going and blah blah etc. then fine, give him shots.

Ill grant you that he’s been better of late.

But he’s unimpressive overall. 

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

We don't need Rooney. This is a great lineup when they play with purpose. 

Laf Zib Kakko

Panarin Chytil Kravtsov

Kreider Trochek Vesey

Blais Goodrow Gauthier

Cullye (as an extra)

That 4th line just needs to keep opposition pinned in their zone. 

I like this lineup too (now). But Gallant probably doesn't. For some reason he doesn't like using Goodrow as a center. I can see him wanting a guy like Rooney (Carpenter) that can play center or wing, which enables him to push Goodrow up and down the lineup (which I hate). If it's not Rooney,  it's going to be someone like Rooney. 

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Rooney is trash though. 

That’s not true.

Rooney is an adequate 4th line/13-14th forward on a good team wherein the cap is $3.5-5 million less than what it should be.

Essentially even hockey plus pretty good on the PK in 115 games as a Ranger over 2 seasons.

Now I’ll say he played way too many minutes over that span. He averaged 13+ a night. Too much. Even if he’s on your 1st PK that’s too much.

But what do you want there?

For him? And his ability level? And what he can do?

At a 1.7% cap hit over a short-term deal?

He has his flaws, sure. But he’s not a bad hockey player at 12/13/14

21 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I know you love Gauthier bro. But what are you expecting there?

And I get why too… great size and skating with a 1st round pedigree.

But… 

He’s 25, 6 years removed from his draft class. He’s  produced 9 goals as an NHL’er in 119 games. Has no other virtue to his game. 
And on a roster that had ample room and opportunities at his position, he can’t make or stay on the club or in the lineup.

Don’t know what you’re looking for there?

Im fine with him as a 13/14th forward. 
If he gets going and blah blah etc. then fine, give him shots.

Ill grant you that he’s been better of late.

But he’s unimpressive overall. 

Well he hasn't really gotten an opportunity.  Whether it be attitude or poor decisions by the past 2 coaching staffs. He was benched and scratched in favor of Colin Blackwell and garbage players by 2 coaches who were trying to keep their jobs and squeeze out wins. 

What I was expecting was a legit chance in the top 6. He's gotten maybe 3 periods worth of icetime in the top 6 since he became Ranger property. The names of the scrap heap garbage that has played over a guy who's metrics are insanely good and who (IMO) has consistently brought effort and creativity more often than, those he sat in favor of, is ridiculous.  Fast, Blackwell, DiGiuseppe, Rooney, Howden, Hunt, Mckegg all got more opportunities than a guy that does nothing but get scoring chances by going to the net.   Which is (oddly) the big thing THIS staff preaches to the media.  That they want their players to attack the net.. 

IMO, it can be legit argued, that this player hasn't gotten the opportunity he should have. I'm that guy. For this guy. 

Edited by The Dude

10 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

That’s not true.

Rooney is an adequate 4th line/13-14th forward on a good team wherein the cap is $3.5-5 million less than what it should be.

Essentially even hockey plus pretty good on the PK in 115 games as a Ranger over 2 seasons.

Now I’ll say he played way too many minutes over that span. He averaged 13+ a night. Too much. Even if he’s on your 1st PK that’s too much.

But what do you want there?

For him? And his ability level? And what he can do?

At a 1.7% cap hit over a short-term deal?

He has his flaws, sure. But he’s not a bad hockey player at 12/13/14

He's also not a good hockey player. He's just a guy taking up space, and I would much rather just put Goody at 4C and Cullye at wing. 

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's also not a good hockey player. He's just a guy taking up space, and I would much rather just put Goody at 4C and Cullye at wing. 

If you’re saying Goody should be the staple on line 4, I totally agree. 
And I think Cuylle could get a shot.

Small sample as a Pro. But he’s looked like he’ll be a pro

I disagree that Rooney is a bad hockey player.

Hes what he is 

A cheap, somewhat versatile, 12/13/14 in cap crunch NHL. 

He’s a serviceable player.

Im ok with a look at Rydahl or Henrikksen too

10 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

If you’re saying Goody should be the staple on line 4, I totally agree. 
And I think Cuylle could get a shot.

Small sample as a Pro. But he’s looked like he’ll be a pro

I disagree that Rooney is a bad hockey player.

Hes what he is 

A cheap, somewhat versatile, 12/13/14 in cap crunch NHL. 

He’s a serviceable player.

Im ok with a look at Rydahl or Henrikksen too

Two of those spots are in the press box.....cuz he trash.

• LOL 2
  • LMFAO 1

Blais - Goodrow - Gauthier lacks something, for me. 4th lines still needs that flashy quick plug.

Brodzinski is filling in now,  but it never last. Blais’ early season jump is gone. Gauthier has straight ahead speed, and has been doing a better job getting on the defense, but not enough for a solid, long term impact. 

carpenter was just too slow. And maybe gallant doesn’t like Goodrow there for the same reason. We saw this line wasn’t effective when they weren’t quick on the forecheck pressuring the D. You don’t need the best players, as long as they are quick and forecheck. 

24 minutes ago, josh said:

Blais - Goodrow - Gauthier lacks something, for me. 4th lines still needs that flashy quick plug.

Brodzinski is filling in now,  but it never last. Blais’ early season jump is gone. Gauthier has straight ahead speed, and has been doing a better job getting on the defense, but not enough for a solid, long term impact. 

carpenter was just too slow. And maybe gallant doesn’t like Goodrow there for the same reason. We saw this line wasn’t effective when they weren’t quick on the forecheck pressuring the D. You don’t need the best players, as long as they are quick and forecheck. 

He trusts Goodrow and is going to play him 15-17 a night. More if he needs too. 
Personally, while I think Goodrow is a very good hockey player that I trust and I’m very comfortable with him out there, if he’s getting played above 15, he needs to be used very specifically. Especially later in games.

Yet another issue with Gallant, who he plays, and how, when, and where he plays who he has. 

This team needs some form of system, a structure to lean and fall back on, a solution to playing with a lead, particularly late in games, and better utilization of personnel in terms of how they’re specifically deployed.

If Goodrow and Blais are on your 4th line, you’re in good shape.

Blais has played 25 games after not playing hockey for 10+months. He’s playing plus hockey in 10 minutes a night, not playing with any light the world on fire players offensively, zero PP time, plays with physicality, doesn’t make awful mistakes, and doesn’t take penalties. 
He’s fine. I’m more concerned with where Blais is in 3-4 months than now. 

I’ll agree that I’d like to see Goodrow and Blais on the 4th line full-time, with a spark plug guy. That would be great if they could find the right guy.