• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Training Camp: Go Into the Happiness

Cash or Czech

Gauthier hasn’t done anything to make the team. That’s clear. Even Dude admits.

kravtsov has been underwhelming. Compared to Gauthier, I’d they they’re pretty even. The difference is one has play for three fucking years with the team and doesn’t look better than a kid living it up in a new city. 

and Jesus H Christ the Kreider Zibanejad line needs a skilled player. Someone that can pass and skate with the puck. Gauthier, fuck no. Wtf kinda proposal is that? How the fuck does that guy still have a job?

43 minutes ago, josh said:

Gauthier hasn’t done anything to make the team. That’s clear. Even Dude admits.

kravtsov has been underwhelming. Compared to Gauthier, I’d they they’re pretty even. The difference is one has play for three fucking years with the team and doesn’t look better than a kid living it up in a new city. 

and Jesus H Christ the Kreider Zibanejad line needs a skilled player. Someone that can pass and skate with the puck. Gauthier, fuck no. Wtf kinda proposal is that? How the fuck does that guy still have a job?

If only we had a second overall pick RW that was billed to fit that mold.....if only.....

2 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

If only we had a second overall pick RW that was billed to fit that mold.....if only.....

Kakko should be on a line that allows him to carry the puck. That line might be the only line that would cycle, as well. Or maybe a Goodrow - Chytil- Kakko third line which I’ve suggested before. More of a checking role, but can control the puck on offense. 

these guys can do it. They need the confidence and the ice time 

19 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

Vesey's last contract was $800k, same as Gauthier's cap hit 👀

Hunt and Carpenter are cheaper.

there's so much fodder here, including a gapping hole on the 1st line,  I wouldn't be surprised if they do take a step back this season.  

I just don't see the lineup complaints. No team has 50 goals scorers on all three lines. Colorado just won the Stanley cup with a far worse roster than this on paper. Every team in the league would murder for the Rangers' roster right now. It's exceptional. Which team has the luxury of playing a 3rd line of first round picks, including a number two and an number one overall? This is an excellent roster. Excellent. The roster is around half upside, which is fantastic. 

We all know the gaping holes in our game. Our team D was below average for most of last year and as a result, our 5v5 play was poor. This is not something that roster gymnastics is going to solve, it's all coaching. This is a cup winning roster if it gets into the top 10 in 5v5 play and it is likely going to get there by just figuring some defensive zone stuff. I don't expect anything less than a repeat of last season, where the team was competitive the whole year, exciting to watch, and made the playoffs. Once there, who knows.  

In the cap world, no team is going to be flawless. We have flaws, but so does everyone else. Even with that being said, I still love the way we look on paper. Yes, it looks a bit off having a revolving door on the 1st line on the wing. But I doubt that is going to be the bane of our existence. We’re still gonna put some numbers up.

I didn't say we suck to start. But I do think there are concerns.

Obviously top line RW is a big one.

The kid line, you have Chytil who went on a 5-7 heater in the playoffs but otherwise was more of the same all season. Kakko played himself into street clothes. So I don't know what you can truly expect out of them.

Kravtsov - who knows he certainly looks like a guy who could very well take a while to get going or not get going at all and/or be dealt away.  If I had to bet I don't think he's a big time contributor early on/first half etc. 

The handful of elite guys have to be elite with little drop in play, I think that Igor putting up the same numbers would be remarkable. Same for Kreids.  PP needs to continue to be deadly. 5v5 play needs to be significantly better. Then a handful of others need to show more than they ever have (some more than others), that's asking a lot. Meaning the next step for some is no baby step while other like Miller's would be at the same pace.

Again, if only the kids have been given legit opportunities to grow, instead of sheltered minutes and no PP, we’d be seeing the top line picks in those slots as opposed to practice all stars like Vesey that we KNOW Gallant falls in love with. 

• Like 1

he's pretty much already said he's not changing the way he approaches handling the PP this year. So everybody else including the kids better figure out another way to find that next level.

Hence my concern, and again I'm not saying the glass is empty, just as some were saying the other day a step back wouldn't surprise me even a little. Not the end of the world.

9 minutes ago, josh said:

Again, if only the kids have been given legit opportunities to grow, instead of sheltered minutes and no PP, we’d be seeing the top line picks in those slots as opposed to practice all stars like Vesey that we KNOW Gallant falls in love with. 

because the team is about winning and competing for the cup rather than developing players.