• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Training Camp: Go Into the Happiness

Cash or Czech

32 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I thought Robertson would've got a longer look.  Guess it's either Jones or Hajek for 6th D.

I would imagine both; with Jones getting he start opening night and Hajek being the 7th D.

Of course based on past history, it will probably be Hajek starting on opening night with Welinski or Tinnordi as the 7th D and Jones to Hartford, because of some nonsense about losing a player like Tinnordi to waivers.

#letJonesplayinNHL

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

https://theathletic.com/3578118/2022/09/29/rangers-brennan-othmann-the-gifted/?amp=1

Good write up on Othmann. I want this kid on the team more sooner than later. Im hoping he forces his way here.

I hope not. He seems almost ready but he needs to put on some muscle. Also there’s literally no spot for him unless drury finds a trade partner for krsvtsov. 

6 minutes ago, siddious said:

I hope not. He seems almost ready but he needs to put on some muscle. Also there’s literally no spot for him unless drury finds a trade partner for krsvtsov. 

Last year we had Kakko, Copp and Vatrano playing RW. Why can't that translate to Kakko, Krav and Othmann?

12 minutes ago, siddious said:

That’s not necessarily true in that sense. Neither Kravtsov nor Othmann would be expected to play every game. 
you also have Reaves that should be getting less games. Goodrow and Blais will miss their share of games for injuries. 

send down hunt and Gauthier. Jones can be sent down if you need the cap space to start the season. Vesey signed for 800k for bottom 6 duties. 

kravtsov isn’t clearing waivers.

man’s they can’t call up Othmann if sent down. Tricky situation, but Kakko and Lafreniere killing penalties last night showed this is all possible 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

https://theathletic.com/3578118/2022/09/29/rangers-brennan-othmann-the-gifted/?amp=1

Good write up on Othmann. I want this kid on the team more sooner than later. Im hoping he forces his way here.

This makes me more erect than the slap fight between @Patrick Bateman and @CCCP over trading cards. 

All the signs of a special player here... Skating, scoring, hits to hurt, leadership, swagger... Sounds like vintage Brendan Morrow. 

• LOL 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

This makes me more erect than the slap fight between @Patrick Bateman and @CCCP over trading cards. 

All the signs of a special player here... Skating, scoring, hits to hurt, leadership, swagger... Sounds like vintage Brendan Morrow. 

Hoping we found our Zegras out of that draft (mid level 1st rounder that blows it out of the water in the big show).

New York Rangers President and General Manager Chris Drury announced today that the team has cut its Training Camp roster by eight players. Turner Elson, Karl Henriksson, Patrick Khodorenko, Olof Lindbom, Brandon Scanlin, and C.J. Smith have been assigned to the Hartford Wolf Pack of the American Hockey League (AHL). Brennan Othmann has been returned to the Flint Firebirds of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) and Adam Edstrom has been assigned to Rogle BK of the Swedish Hockey League (SHL).

The Rangers have 34 players remaining in Training Camp. The roster breakdown is listed below: 

Not terribly shocked, but kind of bummed too. lol Oh well.

Not shocked either, bummer. There's still some unprovens on that side and he still didn't do enough to show Drury he belonged.  Another case of wishfully penciling a guy in all off season long who we won't see here. Off season premature speculation about kids we hang our hopes on can be such a let down. Culley next? I guess Othmann could show up after Flint's season ends but doesn't that impact his contract? 

Edited by jsrangers

Othmann's contract will slide, which undoubtedly factored heavily into their decision to send him back. This team is going to be pressed hard against the cap these next few seasons waiting for the bigger uptick in the salary cap ceiling to hopefully kick in. Deals like his, even if he doesn't end up a complete home run, are going to be requirements to keep fielding competitive teams because of the relative value of his contract when players like Kreider and Panarin are on their way out.

He probably wasn't quite ready for the NHL yet, either, and it's better he overcooks than undercooks. No one ever gets worse for spending an extra year developing, but they can absolutely go sour if they're rushed before they're ready.

Soon, Rat King™, soon.

• Bullseye 2
  • TroCheckmark 1

4 minutes ago, Phil said:

Othmann's contract will slide, which undoubtedly factored heavily into their decision to send him back. This team is going to be pressed hard against the cap these next few seasons waiting for the bigger uptick in the salary cap ceiling to hopefully kick in. Deals like his, even if he doesn't end up a complete home run, are going to be requirements to keep fielding competitive teams because of the relative value of his contract when players like Kreider and Panarin are on their way out.

He probably wasn't quite ready for the NHL yet, either, and it's better he overcooks than undercooks. No one ever gets worse for spending an extra year developing, but they can absolutely go sour if they're rushed before they're ready.

Soon, Rat King™, soon.

Ok , I can buy this, Chief.  This makes sense, but I'm still kinda disappointed because I think we can all see that this kid has some really great promise...I can wait another year, and I think you're right with the development.  It will most likely do him better with another year and even more growth as a player.

I can already see the "Bring up Othmann" posts coming this season!!!  LOL