• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Training Camp: Go Into the Happiness

Cash or Czech

3 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

he's pretty much already said he's not changing the way he approaches handling the PP this year. So everybody else including the kids better figure out another way to find that next level.

Hence my concern, and again I'm not saying the glass is empty, just as some were saying the other day a step back wouldn't surprise me even a little. Not the end of the world.

if they get 45-50 mins of PP each PP, they should be fine and would be putting up points IMO.  But Gucci likes to keep the first PP unit out there for minute and 40 secs

10 minutes ago, CCCP said:

because the team is about winning and competing for the cup rather than developing players.  

Yeah, it’s always been the rangers problem. Hence the 4 cups.

the cup isn’t won by 1 shift in the 2nd period in game 4 of the season. Even a single season is a long-term project. 

“We’ll Fox seems to do just fine”. No shit, he’s given ice time and opportunity. 

10 minutes ago, CCCP said:

because the team is about winning and competing for the cup rather than developing players.  

the cup isn’t won by 1 shift in the 2nd period in game 4 of the season. Even a single season is a long-term project. 

“We’ll Fox seems to do just fine”. No shit, he’s given ice time and opportunity. 

5 minutes ago, Phil said:

He probably should. He's outperformed Kravtsov, but we both know what will happen here.

Not sure how many of these had a legit shot of going in if there was a goalie in net. Not sure how many went into the empty net (3?), I do know the forth one was me with a blindfold on.

I mean, Kravtsov still has higher upside, probably, but I'm just calling this like I see it. He's done very little to stand out thus far in preseason and everyone understands that relationship nearly fractured, so I can't imagine the Rangers have any appetite to risk breaking it again.

8 minutes ago, Phil said:

I mean, Kravtsov still has higher upside, probably, but I'm just calling this like I see it. He's done very little to stand out thus far in preseason and everyone understands that relationship nearly fractured, so I can't imagine the Rangers have any appetite to risk breaking it again.

At this point what’s there to lose by letting him play? There’s 0 upside to sending him down and his value is low. Might grow and get good enough to trade at some point or be a contributor on this team. 

can't come up with a better opportunity for the kid than having panarin, among the best russian hockey players in the world, mentor him.

if he doesn't show significant progress throughout this season, shouldn't be too hard to move on without regret.

Edited by Jdog99
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Phil said:

but these decisions are a big part of the problem. 3 years and he’s had 2 decent shifts during the preseason. He’s mostly invisible besides when he crashes into the goalie once a month. 

the decision has to be made by evaluating - who is going to be a better player in 2 months, who can move up/down to help other lines, who could play a defensive role, who can play an offensive role, who can be a role player, who can drop down the lineup.

again, Gauthier crashes into the goalie once every 12 starts and is invisible every other shift. And checks no boxes - even a huge pussy with his size. Let’s move on, already. 

I think I know what Gauthier already is....Kravvy could possibly be something a lot better than he's showing.  @Jdog99 I believe has the right idea; in a worst case scenario, we can get to see what Kravtsov is a little bit and also add some more value to him by letting him play with a star like Panarin.

We win both ways,  unless he's just totally shits the bed....which I don't see happening.

19 hours ago, josh said:

Gauthier hasn’t done anything to make the team. That’s clear. Even Dude admits.

kravtsov has been underwhelming. Compared to Gauthier, I’d they they’re pretty even. The difference is one has play for three fucking years with the team and doesn’t look better than a kid living it up in a new city. 

and Jesus H Christ the Kreider Zibanejad line needs a skilled player. Someone that can pass and skate with the puck. Gauthier, fuck no. Wtf kinda proposal is that? How the fuck does that guy still have a job?

Whoa whoa whoa. I don't admit that. I think he's earned a spot over Hunt, and Carpenter. But with Gallant being a coach who prefers "his" guys, Carpenter is an automatic and Vesey is just Veseying us. He will be terrible in a month. These are the types Gallant eats up and will overuse until Christmas, when it becomes unbearable and impossible to defend their spots. 

I'd rather use Goodrow as the 4th line center and stop this charade of pushing him up the lineup.  To me, he's only productive as an energy player on an energy line. Trying to force him into the top 6 is something they will continue to do,  just because of that contract. He doesn't bring the same game when he's inserted into a scoring line. Put him with like minded players and he shines. I'd try to pass Carpenter through waivers and keep Vesey and Gauthier. Obviously you know what I think of Hunt. 

Gauthier in the top 6 isn't the worst idea. Obviously I want Kravtsov up in there, and I'm banking on them eventually moving Lafreniere over to the right. But right now, I think they need to keep offensive minded wingers for depth, because these current options penciled in may not work or don't look very promising in preseason.

Blais is going to need a lot of time to get his game back. I suggested earlier that he should be sent to Hartford on a conditioning assignment. This could stall the need to put one of these forwards on waivers and prevent a temper tantrum by Kravtsov, whom hasn’t looked all that good. He looked better last year. 

When people say Gauthier does nothing really annoys me. Scoring chances are HUGE in this game. To maintain pressure on the opposition and to wear them down, is an effective way to use your lower lines. Obviously you'd rather they score, but running over D-men,  taking it to the net and forcing the goalie to do something, is 1000X better than having guys chuck it down the boards, and not even chasing it.  Or if they do chase it, they lose the puck battle anyway and go for a  change going back the other way..

Gauthier hasn't played any time with top players. Maybe having a Kreider there on the doorstep with him, or Panarin on the side of the net for rebounds/stuff ins, on the moves to the net would be more beneficial for everyone. 

If you look at all these missed Gauthier chances, you will notice his linemates are nowhere near the net. It's a simple formula. He's crashing the net. He's either going to bury it, or there's going to be a rebound in  a pile of bodies in the crease.  It should be easy pickings. But last year Lafreniere wouldn't dare go near the front of the net until later in the year and Chytil wasn't really a confident player at all until later. It's not rocket science. The coach should LOVE these power moves to the net and try to figure a way to complement the guy doing it,  by giving him more opportunities with better players.. 

He hits, he plays competent D, he carries and controls the puck, and he gets scoring chances while playing with players that aren't very good or are struggling to get their own shit together. I'll never understand why he never got a bigger chance here. 

I've concluded that Gallant will choose 2 players that I have no confidence in over a guy that I feel deserved a better look over the years.  I honestly think he will have success with another team, if they move on. He's not passing through waivers. 

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Would like to see Kravtsov play at least one pre season game with Panarin and Trochek before commenting on his pre season performance.

I'd like to see Kravtsov become a Buchnevich clone. He sure would be a nice fit for the top 6. Why can't the Rangers develop players like Buchnevvvvver mind. 

2 hours ago, josh said:

but these decisions are a big part of the problem. 3 years and he’s had 2 decent shifts during the preseason. He’s mostly invisible besides when he crashes into the goalie once a month. 

the decision has to be made by evaluating - who is going to be a better player in 2 months, who can move up/down to help other lines, who could play a defensive role, who can play an offensive role, who can be a role player, who can drop down the lineup.

again, Gauthier crashes into the goalie once every 12 starts and is invisible every other shift. And checks no boxes - even a huge pussy with his size. Let’s move on, already. 

I'm not defending Gauthier as much as I'm panning Kravtsov. Right now, today, neither inspires much of anything.

• Keeps it 100 1

13 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm not defending Gauthier as much as I'm panning Kravtsov. Right now, today, neither inspires much of anything.

But one we’ve seen for 3 seasons, and is even with a young kid with more upside that can check some needed boxes. 

my same issue in the Vesey PTO thread. We know exactly how the whole thing pans out. Barely better hockey from pros that have gone through this process for years are playing slightly better hockey now, when we know damn well which player would be a better contributor during crunch time. But if you continue to play Vesey, Blackwell, Gauthier, DiGipetto, Letteiri garbage - these fake stop gaps that are only stopping development 

Rome wasn’t built in day, but if you decide to play in the sand, Rome never gets built… unless we can import it from the 80s Oilers, again. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, josh said:

Fox earned ice time and opportunity. He started on the 3rd pair when ADA was QBing the PP.

None of the other kids are forcing the coach to give them the ice time the way Fox did.

15 minutes ago, josh said:

But one we’ve seen for 3 seasons, and is even with a young kid with more upside that can check some needed boxes. 

my same issue in the Vesey PTO thread. We know exactly how the whole thing pans out. Barely better hockey from pros that have gone through this process for years are playing slightly better hockey now, when we know damn well which player would be a better contributor during crunch time. But if you continue to play Vesey, Blackwell, Gauthier, DiGipetto, Letteiri garbage - these fake stop gaps that are only stopping development 

Rome wasn’t built in day, but if you decide to play in the sand, Rome never gets built… unless we can import it from the 80s Oilers, again. 

Agree. The Rangers are dangerously close to “playing in the sand” in your analogy.

Gallant seemed to have more confidence with the kids once the kid line was put together. At least until Kakko’s benching lol. Maybe that translates to more PP time, particularly in instances where it’s not critical to have the best unit out there all the time.