• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Off-Season Thread — Go Into the Sadness

Phil

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

If a team thinks he’s a half time starter or more, why wouldn’t they? They also might want to have his RFA rights and negotiate signing him for longer (3-3.5M x 3) rather than just resorting to a QO. If he hits UFA market, nobody knows how many bidders or how high it might drive the price up.

I guess if they really think he's a starter, or whatever a "half-time starter" is (platoon/1B?), but it still seems pretty unlikely to me. His save percentage has dropped year-by-year since he came into the league (918, 914, 910, 905, 898 — in that order).

I just don't see why anyone would see the upside here, let alone at full freight. He's going to get a one-year prove-it deal in a market that needs competent goal tending like Arizona or Buffalo IMO.

Just saw the Vegas odds to win the 2023 Cup. 

Rangers tied for 10th overall with Pittsburgh- tied for 5th in the East.

Caesar's big on the Blueshirts- 4th best odds- tied with Carolina   

Edited by Flynn

So, the season is officially over. Aves are the champs. The Rangers didn't get there so it is a completely moot point BUT in a goaltending duel, Shesty outperforms Kuemper as well the Rangers winning the defensive battle. This series would have been close if the Rangers didn't blow that 2-0 lead in game 3 against Tampa.

Replicating this post season is going to be hard. Hope these guys are up to the challenge next year. Play less games in the earlier rounds is the answer. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

So, the season is officially over. Aves are the champs. The Rangers didn't get there so it is a completely moot point BUT in a goaltending duel, Shesty outperforms Kuemper as well the Rangers winning the defensive battle. This series would have been close if the Rangers didn't blow that 2-0 lead in game 3 against Tampa.

Replicating this post season is going to be hard. Hope these guys are up to the challenge next year. Play less games in the earlier rounds is the answer. 

Rangers would have gotten smoked vs. Colorado.  Avs has much more speed than the Pens/Canes/and Lightning.  Mackinnon would have made the forwards, and 1/2 the defensemen look silly.  

We definitely have some work to do over the off season, but these kids got a ton of experience and knowledge out of this year.  There might be a step back in some cases in duplicating what we accomplished this year, but overall, I think we're on the right track to win it all within the next 3 seasons.  The kids are only going to get bigger/stronger/better, and I trust Drury to do what's necessary to arm this team at the deadline next season to try and take the whole fuckin' thing!

I'm looking forward to seeing how Drury approaches this off season!  It should be very interesting to watch.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

9 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Rangers would have gotten smoked vs. Colorado.  Avs has much more speed than the Pens/Canes/and Lightning.  Mackinnon would have made the forwards, and 1/2 the defensemen look silly.  

For sure. I feel like every game against Colorado would've basically been Game 3/4 of the PIT series all over again. Rangers are a lot closer after this season than many expected but still some major work to be done before they're at a level where they can legit compete with a COL caliber team.

• Believe 1

https://theathletic.com/3385036/2022/06/27/nhl-offseason-questions-trade-free-agent/

For the last few years, Ryan Strome, another UFA, has held the 2C position down. Strome’s produced at a high-end top-six clip in that role, but those numbers are likely juiced from the opportunity he’s had to play with Artemi Panarin. That’s why it’s so hard to properly value Strome on his next contract.

There are a couple more factors complicating matters too. Andrew Copp was a fantastic trade deadline add, chipping in with 14 goals and 32 points in 36 combined games between the regular season and playoffs. Copp’s a legitimate 2C option although his stock is rising so quickly that he might price himself out of New York.

Then there’s the emergence of Filip Chytil. Chytil had a disappointing regular season but broke out in the playoffs with seven goals and 9 points in 20 games. It was also only a year ago when he put up 22 points in 42 games as a 21-year-old. Could he be a 2C option if the Rangers want to go cheap there and allocate the rest to keeping the likes of Vatrano and Tyler Motte?

GM Chris Drury could also turn to the trade market. Miller, for example, makes only $5.25 million against the cap next season. It’s been widely reported that the Rangers and Canucks engaged in trade talks regarding Miller prior to the deadline. Would the Rangers have an interest in pursuing Miller as a one-year rental (they probably couldn’t afford him beyond that given the sizeable commitments to Panarin, Zibanejad, Adam Fox and Jacob Trouba)? Miller’s excellent but I can’t see the exorbitant price it’d take to acquire him being worth just one season. If the Rangers are already thinking of spending premium assets, would they be inclined to look at Scheifele, who has two years left on his deal at a manageable $6.125 million AAV?

5 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

They needed the experience and to get bloodied. It’s helpful in the long-run with a younger team and not tons and tons of playoff experience amongst the vets as well.

I agree it’s a hard act to follow for them moving into next season. As well as the need to get through an early round series in fewer games. That never hurts you. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I haven’t seen it written about anywhere, and I guess it’s possible I missed it. But has anyone seen anywhere whether or not Strome will require surgery?

Still no update since Drury spoke about it on the 15th.