• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Off-Season Thread — Go Into the Sadness

Phil

5 hours ago, Cash or Czech said:

There's gotta be a work stoppage coming. These long term contracts for these bottom line players are insane.  They can't seriously expect to fulfill this deal, nor the Rangers one for Goodrow.  

Guys like this used to get short term deals that would be at most 4 years and at a team friendly number. 3 X 7 from Tampa is ridiculous.  They usually are smart about these types.  They let Goodrow walk, but signed this dude for 7 years? 

• Keeps it 100 1

9 minutes ago, Cash or Czech said:

After the season he had? Can’t imagine why. 

I think it's more that they made him an offer which he doesn't like, and Carolina just said "see if anyone else beats it, and if they do will trade you there."

The ownership there puts a very specific dollar amount on both players and coaches, and if you want more then they show you the door. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I think it's more that they made him an offer which he doesn't like, and Carolina just said "see if anyone else beats it, and if they do will trade you there."

The ownership there puts a very specific dollar amount on both players and coaches, and if you want more then they show you the door. 

I think it's exactly this. He's probably asking for like $1–2 million more than they are willing to give. They did the same exactly thing with Dougie Hamilton.

6 hours ago, Phil said:

I can't see any situation where he shouldn't just land in Philly. Torts would love him and he's pretty much a Philly guy.

He's not UFA though. So, Carolina still has to qualify him to keep his rights. Does his qualifying offer go by the Rangers contract? Or by what he signed for with Carolina? If it's the Rangers contract,  I kinda understand Carolina walking away. Then again that price point (4.5) is a bargain for what he produces. The twerp should be getting atleast 5- 6 mill a year. 

The guy really shit the bed in the Rangers series. I was certain he was going to be a factor. He didn't seem to play his style of game and was rendered a non issue,  while Brendan Smith was able to continually break towards the net. Not even a dangerous point shot from him. 

Where he lands is going to be interesting (to me atleast). I'll always kinda be a fan of his. 

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Crazy they're just letting ADA walk... Not really, though. 

Cap strapped team avoiding the danger zone.

let his agent see if anyone wants to pay him, maybe they get a late pick out of it. If not, he probably Re-signs there on another cheap contract. Win-win. 

• Bullseye 1

On 7/1/2022 at 10:08 AM, rmc51 said:

Guy had an incredible 3 months and is getting PAID. Good for him, but this has potential to sour quickly.

On 7/1/2022 at 11:33 AM, jsm7302 said:

7 years is a long investment in bottom line talent.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:43 PM, The Dude said:

There's gotta be a work stoppage coming. These long term contracts for these bottom line players are insane.  They can't seriously expect to fulfill this deal, nor the Rangers one for Goodrow.  

Guys like this used to get short term deals that would be at most 4 years and at a team friendly number. 3 X 7 from Tampa is ridiculous.  They usually are smart about these types.  They let Goodrow walk, but signed this dude for 7 years? 

It's the going rate for a high end bottom-six player. This is the same thing that the Preds did with Jarnkrok and Scissons and a few others;  it's fine, it's not a bad contract.

On 7/3/2022 at 7:20 PM, josh said:

Cap strapped team avoiding the danger zone.

let his agent see if anyone wants to pay him, maybe they get a late pick out of it. If not, he probably Re-signs there on another cheap contract. Win-win. 

This exactly. What’s the worst that can happen for CAR? He signs elsewhere? Meh. If he searches and comes up with so so offers, CAR is in the perfect spot to say “show me one more time” and revisit it next offseason. 

On 7/3/2022 at 12:09 PM, Pete said:

I know this hampers them to some extent but god damn do I wish the Rangers practiced some of this over the last 30 years.

• Bullseye 1

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Unless Vancouver is taking Lundkvist as the core piece, I don’t see it happening.

I don’t see the Rangers trading Chytil, Kakko, or Schneider for a 1 year rental. If the plan would be to extend Miller, better off keeping your pieces and waiting to try and sign him during UFA in that case.

6 hours ago, ThirtyONE said:

I know this hampers them to some extent but god damn do I wish the Rangers practiced some of this over the last 30 years.

Maybe they did with Strome and/or Copp.    Strome might be testing the market as a free agent, but if he doesn't get what he thinks he can in the open market I wonder if there is an offer at a lower value with the Rangers.

1 hour ago, Cash or Czech said:

But people here said “nahhhh he’s fuckin getting $5.5-6mil”!?!

I was one of em. I can't wait to talk about this at the end of next season and the following when Kadri can't replicate this outlier and another team is looking to move this MONSTER contract. This just has disaster written all over it.