• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Off-Season Thread — Go Into the Sadness

Phil

39 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

1 outta 2 ain't bad.

Ok. Then explain why Kakko was benched for G6 if you really think he's that far along?

I'll have to see the context of the entire question and answer before guessing if this was a potentially legitimate opinion vs canned handling of media questions.

• Bullseye 1

Everyone keeps talking about making the kid line the 2nd line, but what happens if they fail in that role?

Better to start them as 3rd line and then move them up when they deserve to be the 2nd line.

We made the ECF this year do we really want to risk not being a playoff team next year?

I prefer to keep taking the next step instead of possibly regressing.

43 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Everyone keeps talking about making the kid line the 2nd line, but what happens if they fail in that role?

Better to start them as 3rd line and then move them up when they deserve to be the 2nd line.

We made the ECF this year do we really want to risk not being a playoff team next year?

Agree.

As somebody pointed out yesterday Chytil went on a 3-4 game heater where everything he threw at the net went in  something he'd never done before, great to see, He's still not a 2C. Kakko and Laf had 4 goals in a combined 39 games. I really think the whole kid line is here now and ready to play top six second line mins  (on a potential ECF's team) is a huge stretch. They had legs, nobody else did, that's a good thing. But other than Igor there was absolutely nothing to hype on the rangers side so imo the kids line phenomenon was overplayed by a lot.  It was equally about the others (not including Zib up front doing so little). Don't get me wrong I hope they all step way up but production wise this year in total and including the playoffs were meh.  

Still all TBD what they really are production wise imo.

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Ok. Then explain why Kakko was benched for G6 if you really think he's that far along?

I'll have to see the context of the entire question and answer before guessing if this was a potentially legitimate opinion vs canned handling of media questions.

Maybe Kakko was hurt or had something personal going on and the coach is falling on the sword for him.

Or maybe Drury screamed at him in a closed door meeting about his choice and he is now reading the room and realizing he needs to make Kakko stick.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, jsrangers said:

Agree.

As somebody pointed out yesterday Chytil went on a 3-4 game heater where everything he threw at the net went in  something he'd never done before, great to see, He's still not a 2C. Kakko and Laf had 4 goals in a combined 39 games. I really think the whole kid line is here now and ready to play top six second line mins  (on a potential ECF's team) is a huge stretch. They had legs, nobody else did, that's a good thing. But other than Igor there was absolutely nothing to hype on the rangers side so imo the kids line phenomenon was overplayed by a lot.  It was equally about the others (not including Zib up front doing so little). Don't get me wrong I hope they all step way up but production wise this year in total and including the playoffs were meh.  

Still all TBD what they really are production wise imo.

I would point out that Ryan Strome was not a 2nd line center until he started playing with Panarin. Last time he had that role for a sustained amount of time, was playing with Tavares on the Islanders.

It's odd that alot of the same people who are saying that he is not ready have Kravtsov penciled in as the 2nd line right wing on that line after a good, but certainly not great season in the KHL.

Not saying that Chytil should be handed anything, but he should absolutely be given every opportunity to earn that role. It just seems like there is so much more upside in that, rather than locking in Strome at 5.5 million X 6 years for diminishing returns every season, and then having  to choose between locking down Lafrenaire/Miller long term or overpay them when they get to their UFA years.    

Edited by MuddyInTheMiddle

7 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

I would point out that Ryan Strome was not a 2nd line center until he started playing with Panarin. Last time he had that role for a sustained amount of time, was playing with Tavares on the Islanders.

It's odd that alot of the same people who are saying that he is not ready have Kravtsov penciled in as the 2nd line right wing on that line after a good, but certainly not great season in the KHL.

Not saying that Chytil should be handed anything, but he should absolutely be given every opportunity to earn that role. It just seems like there is so much more upside in that, rather than locking in Strome at 5.5 million X 6 years for diminishing returns every season, and then having  to choose between locking down Lafrenaire/Miller long term or overpay them when they get to their UFA years.    

I think Kravtsov is a complete unknown and assuming he can play the wing on the second line is way premature as well.  I don't think either Strome of Chytil is the answer at 2C, hoping Drury can come up with a better option.  Time will tell, it certainly won't be easy. 

13 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

I think Kravtsov is a complete unknown and assuming he can play the wing on the second line is way premature as well.  I don't think either Strome of Chytil is the answer at 2C, hoping Drury can come up with a better option.  Time will tell, it certainly won't be easy. 

I'll go a step further and say that if Kravtsov plays well and showcases himself in the preseason, he gets traded before opening night. Maybe I am just a pessimist, but I think Drury is completely done with him.

Look, I like Strome.  Love what he brings from a chemistry/leadership stand point.

But, even at a team friendly discount, he's gonna cost more than Chytil.  We need a true shutdown line and Strome isn't that.  Depending on who else is available Copp could be.

Gimme a top 9 of...

Panarin-Zib-Krav

Laf-Chytil-Kakko

CK-Copp(or another good defensive C)-Goody

And let's go.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Look, I like Strome.  Love what he brings from a chemistry/leadership stand point.

But, even at a team friendly discount, he's gonna cost more than Chytil.  We need a true shutdown line and Strome isn't that.  Depending on who else is available Copp could be.

Gimme a top 9 of...

Panarin-Zib-Krav

Laf-Chytil-Kakko

CK-Copp(or another good defensive C)-Goody

And let's go.

Copp isn't that either. My third line in your lineup is CK Goody Blais.

But the reality is they're not splitting up 20 and 93.

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

Copp isn't that either. My third line in your lineup is CK Goody Blais.

But the reality is they're not splitting up 20 and 93.

True, likely not to see 20 and 93 split.  Gonna rely on good production from Kakko, Laf, and Krav.  Out of those 3 kids and Panarin, CK is most suited to be the defensive stopper.  He should still top 30 goals on breakaways and PP alone.

I'd like to see a good shutdown C between CK and Goody (or play Goody at C and get a solid defensive RW)  And then a better Rooney between Motte and Blais on the 4th line.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

They need the ice time. They need the opportunity to succeed. And the Rangers need to know if they’ve got too 6 players, bottom 6 players, or trade chips. This needs to be decided before Cuylle and Othmann get here. 

with Copp, Motte, Vatrano - you had the interchangeable tools to move guys within that middle 6. But those guys are likely gone. So it’s time to shit or get off the pot for the kids so the team can move forward, one way or the other 

• Like 1

Money 

Kid line

Hurt Locker

RRR

Panarin- Zibanejad- Kreider 

Lafreniere - Chytil- Kakko 

Motte-Goodrow- Blais

Reaves - Rooney - the Russian

hopefully get a younger guy that can potentially fill that 3C role, mixing in with the bottom 6. Goodrow is a decent option, but I’d prefer a bit younger legs, limiting the miles on Goodrow due to the high importance minutes he plays on PK and at end of games they’re winning. 

24 minutes ago, josh said:

Money 

Kid line

Hurt Locker

RRR

Panarin- Zibanejad- Kreider 

Lafreniere - Chytil- Kakko 

Motte-Goodrow- Blais

Reaves - Rooney - the Russian

hopefully get a younger guy that can potentially fill that 3C role, mixing in with the bottom 6. Goodrow is a decent option, but I’d prefer a bit younger legs, limiting the miles on Goodrow due to the high importance minutes he plays on PK and at end of games they’re winning. 

That's a good spot for a veteran stop-gap, where Rooney can be carried as a 13F.

Sam Gagner, maybe?

1 hour ago, Phil said:

That's a good spot for a veteran stop-gap, where Rooney can be carried as a 13F.

Sam Gagner, maybe?

It really depends on what they do with their UFAs. They need more in the ‘identity’ department. If the UFAs are all gone, a Gagner or Namestnikov doesn’t do it for me. They need a more physical presence. 

Identity and no pussies. I’ll have to come up with a better tag line for the summer theme. 

8 hours ago, josh said:

It really depends on what they do with their UFAs. They need more in the ‘identity’ department. If the UFAs are all gone, a Gagner or Namestnikov doesn’t do it for me. They need a more physical presence. 

Identity and no pussies. I’ll have to come up with a better tag line for the summer theme. 

That rules out Gagner but not Namestnikov. He plays hard. But if you want an identity center, why not just use the one you have in Goodrow? 

• Like 2

I hope they do whatever it takes to get a fast, physical, 2C with a great shot. JT Miller- Josh Anderson. I am fully aware that cost is an issue and the other teams not wanting to give up those players per say. Bread needs someone to score off his feeds, period.