• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Off-Season Thread — Go Into the Sadness

Phil

There is much to be optimistic about for the future, and some matters of concern.  The resilience and moxy of this team are remarkable.  One thing that concerns me is that our first line (Zib-CK-Whoever) was decisively outplayed at even strength by the first line of each of our three playoff opponents.  Is there any reason to believe that that will change or that we can win a Cup if it doesn't? 

Fuck Tampa so hard. But yoooooooo!!!

What a fucking amazing season we got to witness. Everyone got experience. Our deadline deals were good. We finally have that tough player who you have to try and tame; gone are the paint-tiger-stripes days. 

We played hockey into mid June! I am a very happy New York Rangers fan. 

• Believe 1

7 hours ago, Flynn said:

Tonight ate the largest dick imaginable, but once again a great season of Rangers talk here @BSBH.  Thanks to @Phil@Dave, and the mods- @Morphinity@Puck Head@LindG1000 @High and Wide@Shane Falco @Drew a Penalty

Masterful job gentleman, it was a hell of a ride. Just imagine how fucking fun it’s going to be when this team wins a Cup..  

Offended I’m not on this list

• LOL 1

7 hours ago, rmc51 said:

So who are the Rangers targeting in the 1st round? 😒

Figures. All the conditional shit the Rangers put on picks coming back in the McDonagh, Zuccarello, etc., trades never hit...the one time the Rangers do it in reverse, they don't make the conditional hard enough. Should have been SCF - no exceptions. No, I'm not mad they lost the pick. I'm mad it never works out the other way LOL.

It’s even more annoying knowing McD made the SCF three times in a row right after the two season included in the conditional pick.

This experience is more important to the team than that 1st rounder, but it would be nice to have it. We need more forwards prospect the coming years.

6 hours ago, Sod16 said:

There is much to be optimistic about for the future, and some matters of concern.  The resilience and moxy of this team are remarkable.  One thing that concerns me is that our first line (Zib-CK-Whoever) was decisively outplayed at even strength by the first line of each of our three playoff opponents.  Is there any reason to believe that that will change or that we can win a Cup if it doesn't? 

They were definitely not outplayed by Canes first line. Zib is 3rd in points and had a really good problem, their line was not the problem.

The problem is we dont have any «matchup-line». Canes used the Staal line and Tampa the Cirelli line against Mika/Zib. We didn’t have that. I think that’s what GG tried after he scratched Reaves, but it didn’t really work.

re-sign Motte and find another player like him and play Motte - Goodrow - X.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, phillyb said:

Fuck Tampa so hard. But yoooooooo!!!

What a fucking amazing season we got to witness. Everyone got experience. Our deadline deals were good. We finally have that tough player who you have to try and tame; gone are the paint-tiger-stripes days. 

We played hockey into mid June! I am a very happy New York Rangers fan. 

💪🏼

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I could not be more proud. What a run. What a young group we have. Our window hasn’t even cracked open. First time I was able to watch the handshakes after a Ranger loss, because I know soon it’s going to be our turn. We are going to make some serious noise. And when we do, look the fuck out.

Great year. Great being back chatting with you fine people. I know we’ve had some major run-in’s in the past, but was fun to put it all aside and follow this wild ass season we were given. 

Looking forward to the future but I’m gonna need some better sunglasses, because the future is too damn bright…

That being said? Tonight is a night to drink. So with that being said….

Thought that in 2014. This year guarantees you exactly nothing. It's the hardest trophy to win. There's lots of positives but things can go sideways for any of a mess of reasons.

On this Biron pointed out; the 2012 Rangers were favored to win it all. And then like this year, fucked around in the early rounds rather than closing out lesser teams. Granted winning those 2 rounds was wonderful, but were a number of opportunities in all 3 rounds to take command, and this team never really did that. By the time the 2012 NYR  got to the ECF, they were tapped out. 2015, same thing; get to game 7 of ECF and have nothing left. It's learning to win, and no way to say for certain they do learn that. 

Edited by Bugg
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 2

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

My way too early roster for next season

Kreider-Zibanejad-Blais

Panarin-Copp-Kravtsov

Lafraniere-Chytil-Kakko

Othmann-Goodrow-Motte

Hunt & Rooney extra forwards

Lindgren-Fox

Miller-Trouba 

Jones-Schneider

7th D Rutta 

Shesterkin

Halak

I like most of this…  But Sammy Blais is not a 1st line winger on a team that wins anything . 

3 hours ago, Bugg said:

Thought that in 2014. This year guarantees you exactly nothing. It's the hardest trophy to win. There's lots of positives but things can go sideways for any of a mess of reasons.

On this Biron pointed out; the 2012 Rangers were favored to win it all. And then like this year, fucked around in the early rounds rather than closing out lesser teams. Granted winning those 2 rounds was wonderful, but were a number of opportunities in all 3 rounds to take command, and this team never really did that. By the time the 2012 NYR  got to the ECF, they were tapped out. 2015, same thing; get to game 7 of ECF and have nothing left. It's learning to win, and no way to say for certain they do learn that. 

As most of you I watched them play the ECF four times now and every time it's the same song, way too many games played, rarely able to close out a series early. 2015 against the Pens, I think that's the only series that didn't go to 6 or more that we actually won in those long runs.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, H-Dreamer said:

As most of you I watched them play the ECF four times now and every time it's the same song, way too many games played, rarely able to close out a series early. 2015 against the Pens, I think that's the only series that didn't go to 6 or more that we actually won in those long runs.

The difference between this years team and 2015 or whenever they went to the finals is that this years team is younger and more skilled. We gotta be patient, this team is putting something nice together. No team is suddenly amazing, you have to learn to play in the playoffs and do some losing before you do any serious winning. Ask Tampa.

The experience laf, kakko, Chytil, Igor, Schneider, miller… hell even Zib got this year is invaluable. 

imo if drury can figure out that 2C and 6d spot this team can compete for years to come. 

What a ride this season was, from projected to being a bubble team to going to game 6 of the ECF vs. the 2 time defending Stanley Cup Champions, what more can we really ask for.  The young group of kids got the learning experience of a lifetime just in these playoffs on how to try and win the Cup from being down 3-1 vs. the Pens, down 3-2 vs. the Canes, being up 2-0 vs. the Lightning and seeing how TB rebounded to win 4 straight.  It stings and should like even more of a fire under them for the next season and seasons to follow.  Got a great core group to build on and expect most of them to take the next step.  Will Kreider score 50 goals again, I wouldn't count on it but that's where you would hope Lafreniere can pitch in for 25-30, Kakko put up 15-20, Chytil (if he's here) to put up 15-20, and instead of relying on Kreider to be the leading goal scorer with 50 but to have a more balanced offensive team.  

Looking forward to seeing what Chris Drury has up his sleeve for this off season as he has to do some cap gymnastics for this upcoming season.  Looks like Kravstov is signed for a 1 year deal, probably makes him an easier trade piece being under contract.  

Hoping that their is a team that would trade for Nemeth b/c Schneider is ready for the 82 game season.  I would consider bringing Braun back as a veteran depth defenseman.  

I know Gallant is not an X's and O's guy, but he needs to figure out a way for this team to get 5v5 scoring, and not rely on the PP.  That's great for the regular season but not in the playoffs.  

On a personal level for me, this season was a magical ride that I got to enjoy especially the 2nd half of the year with my daughter.  She went from a pissing machine at the games (taking her to the bathroom 2 times a period), to actually sitting there watching the games, chanting LGR with the 1 time a period bathroom break and I didn't even have to take her to the family bathroom 3 levels down, now a girl who wants to rush to the women's bathroom outside my section and be back before the puck drops.  😀 .  I got to experience taking her to Game 2 of the ECF and the excitement of a NYR playoff game, she got to stay up late to watch the first period of most playoff games, we watched last nights game on the projector in my backyard.  She is slowly becoming that die-hard NYR fan, and as a new yearly tradition starting next season I promised her to take her to a NYR away game anywhere of her choice (within reason) .  So thank you NY Rangers for this amazing journey we have been on since September.  

Thanks @Philand the mods for maintaining the board and have it be a fun/enjoyable place to read some knowledgable shit, and keeping it mostly civil.  Have a great summer boys, looking forward to the offseason moves and chatter.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

1 hour ago, Flynn said:

I like most of this…  But Sammy Blais is not a 1st line winger on a team that wins anything . 

I’m with you on that but two things I’d also consider- I know he wasn’t lighting it up but if I’m not mistaken he was getting too 6 minutes when St. Louis won, no?

and maybe he’s the exact kinda guy you put with someone like Zib and Kreider.. maybe a little grit and puck retrieval is what they need. I’d argue he might fit better on Panarins wing actually.