• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2021-22 Off-Season Thread — Go Into the Sadness

Phil

14 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Tell me why Tyler Motte should get more AAV than Cup champion 4th liner Andrew Cogliano?

Cogliano is 35 and has career earnings of $32.5 million.  He chose to stay with the cup winner.

Motte is 27 and has career earnings of $5.5 million.  He's trying to get paid.

4 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Cogliano is 35 and has career earnings of $32.5 million.  He chose to stay with the cup winner.

Motte is 27 and has career earnings of $5.5 million.  He's trying to get paid.

Good for Motte. Everyone wants to get paid. That doesn't answer why he should get more.

Lafreniere- Zibanejad- Kreider 

Panarin - Strome (5m)- Kravtsov 

Goodrow - Chytil-Kakko

Hunt- White (1.6) - Blais

Reaves

Lindgen - Fox

Miller - Trouba

Nemeth- Schneider

Shesterkin

Holtby (1m)

11 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Should the Rangers pay a 4th liner more money because they are younger, or should they find an older equivalent like Cogliano for less money?

That's a different question. Probably the latter. Teams like Tampa and Toronto kind of dined out doing this the last number of seasons. In theory, there should be no real shortage of players willing to come to a winning team to play for cheap.

But you asked why Motte should make more. Age is why. His earning potential exceeds Cogliano's by miles.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

That's a different question. Probably the latter. Teams like Tampa and Toronto kind of dined out doing this the last number of seasons. In theory, there should be no real shortage of players willing to come to a winning team to play for cheap.

But you asked why Motte should make more. Age is why. His earning potential exceeds Cogliano's by miles.

Yes. My initial question was phrased poorly. What I was really trying to drive at was why should the Rangers in a cap crunch pay Motte more when they should be able to find comparable veteran options for less. They aren’t really in a position to be throwing chunks of money at 4th liners.

Just now, rmc51 said:

Yes. My initial question was phrased poorly. What I was really trying to drive at was why should the Rangers in a cap crunch pay Motte more when they should be able to find comparable veteran options for less. They aren’t really in a position to be throwing chunks of money at 4th liners.

Agreed. They can do it. They just probably shouldn't. For me, it's all about getting an AAV under $2M. If you can get him at like $1.8M, I'm OK giving him the years, but I'm not interested in giving him his pay day. That's what free agency is for. I'm sure someone else will. Let them.

22 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

The reason is because Rangers. They haven't had a 4th line with any real identity for some time. With Motte at term you get stability instead of a random group of guys every year. 

Now if you're gonna ask why other teams don't have that problem with their random mixes of 4th liners, I'll just say there's a GG thread around here somewhere. 😅

• LOL 1

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

This is how we end up with McKegg and DiGuiseppi on the 4th line...

Am I hallucinating or did I see that the Rangers came to terms with Gauthier on a one year deal???

I thought I saw that during the Yankees pre-game on the ticker....but then again, I drink a lot, and can't see very well!

Teams are delicately approaching the Flameson Matthew Tkachuk

clubs are calling to feel the Flames out on Tkachuk. It goes without saying the Flames’ lone intention right now is to sign Tkachuk long-term and keep him in the fold. But if he prefers to do a one-year deal and bring himself to UFA in a year, it puts Calgary in a brutal spot.

per Pierre Lebrun in his latest Athletic article.

I would almost…almost say fuck a center to just go ahead, trade for Tkachuk, and put fucking Greg McKegg at 2C

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

13 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

per Pierre Lebrun in his latest Athletic article.

I would almost…almost say fuck a center to just go ahead, trade for Tkachuk, and put fucking Greg McKegg at 2C

Conventional logic: winning teams build up the middle!
Rangers: Hold my beer (as they proceed to collect all the left-wings).

• LOL 3
  • LMFAO 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Conventional logic: winning teams build up the middle!
Rangers: Hold my beer (as they proceed to collect all the left-wings).

Let’s be a trend setter. Either we can push building down the wings OR push positionless hockey!

• LMFAO 1
  • The Chyt! 1

17 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Let’s be a trend setter. Either we can push building down the wings OR push positionless hockey!

@Long live the King just updated his lineup to have our 50G scorer on the 4th line. "Don't worry guys, he'll just get a bunch of breakaways while Motte and Blais chip off the glass!"

33 minutes ago, Pete said:

@Long live the King just updated his lineup to have our 50G scorer on the 4th line. "Don't worry guys, he'll just get a bunch of breakaways while Motte and Blais chip off the glass!"

While Chytil puts up another 23 point season and Kakko is "tough" to play against, both in the top six. Sounds good.

• LOL 1