• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Well, sure, but he also kinda, maybe wants to win again. Pretty sure no one's doing that in Montreal for the next 3-5 years.

I was kidding, lol. But Montreal has some prime spots! 

Nah, he wants to win for sure. I also think, without trying to sound like a homer here, that this is where he personally has as a target in his head. At least for a run this season. I really believe that the Rangers are his preferred landing spot. Big city, good chance to win, big market, play with Panarin. It’s all been said before and will continue to be said. 

And truthfully, let’s be real, anytime his name has come up, various hockey guys have mentioned the Rangers. Where there is smoke, there’s fire. I think there is a decent chance that whenever Kane gets moved this season, that it may be here.

Would make sense though if both were wanting to move on now rather than wait to the TDL. The situation in CH is going to be insufferable. May just be coming down to Kane saying I want to GTFO here, now.

Edited by jsrangers

It doesn't much matter if he says he wants out now. Almost no one can afford a $10.5 million aging winger. Right now, just the Isles, Stars, Sabres, Ducks, and Coyotes have at least $11M in open space.  Which of those teams is contending? His (and Toews') best shot here is to suck it up for a while, then get dealt with retention at the trade deadline or close to it to a contender.

• Keeps it 100 1

16 minutes ago, Phil said:

It doesn't much matter if he says he wants out now. Almost no one can afford a $10.5 million aging winger. Right now, just the Isles, Stars, Sabres, Ducks, and Coyotes have at least $11M in open space.  Which of those teams is contending? His (and Toews') best shot here is to suck it up for a while, then get dealt with retention at the trade deadline or close to it to a contender.

I think if he wants out bad enough almost every other team in the league looks better than CH does to him right now. I'm also relatively confident there's deals including retention that could be worked out now for him to move without waiting. Other contenders I'm sure would also find creative ways to suddenly free-up the gap to bring him in if they want him bad enough. I guess my overall point is if the situation is so bad now that he'll be open to moving elsewhere now rather than solely waiting around on us at the TDL.  He could also be dealt now and moved again at the TDL.

Edited by jsrangers

41 minutes ago, Phil said:

Aging winger? He scores 92 points last year and is a UFA. 

The only way this could get done now would be for Chicago to retain half, take a bad contract, and get some very serious prospects (no Howdens or Hajeks) and multiple No. 1 picks.  It would be a lot less complicated to do it at the deadline.

15 hours ago, Sod16 said:

The only way this could get done now would be for Chicago to retain half, take a bad contract, and get some very serious prospects (no Howdens or Hajeks) and multiple No. 1 picks.  It would be a lot less complicated to do it at the deadline.

If it's pre deadline with salary retention,   think it starts with Kakko and Miller and more. Don't see how CBH GM can make such a deal and not get Miller. At deadline, might not be as expensive. 

56 minutes ago, Pete said:

I would gladly trade Chytil, Kakko, Nils and a first plus conditional picks for Kane and Toews at deadline. 

12 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Overpayment

I think that’s an over pay.

If they weren’t straight rentals, sure.

Though that actually gives some cap relief moving forward. 

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Overpayment

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

I think that’s an over pay.

If they weren’t straight rentals, sure.

Though that actually gives some cap relief moving forward. 

Absolutely not, spare parts. 

You can't talk in one post about how bad KK is and then complain about moving him for those caliber of players with playoffs and cup winning experience. 

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

You can't talk in one post about how bad KK is and then complain about moving him for those caliber of players with playoffs and cup winning experience. 

I think you’re referring more to rmc than to me, but I don’t think either Kakko or Chytil are bad. Both need to really take a step this season. Not fully established in my mind whether they are just spare part guys who can be replaced in their respective roles. 

That could change by deadline time

And I think you could get those 2 for less. 
And it’s more likely only 1.

Edited by RangersIn7

23 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

I think you’re referring more to rmc than to me, but I don’t think either Kakko or Chytil are bad. Both need to really take a step this season. Not fully established in my mind whether they are just spare part guys who can be replaced in their respective roles. 

That could change by deadline time

And I think you could get those 2 for less. 
And it’s more likely only 1.

These feel like contradictory statements.

I also don't see how you're getting them for less. Look at what it took to get Copp.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

So many things wrong with this post lol

Also just bait really 

Edited by rmc51

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

These feel like contradictory statements.

I also don't see how you're getting them for less. Look at what it took to get Copp.

Copp didn’t cost an actual player. Let alone 3. All of which were first round picks. All of whom are under age 23. 

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

So many things wrong with this post lol

Also just bait really 

I don't see how it's bait, you're talking about two under performing players, a defenseman we don't have room for, and a pick.

For Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews (even at a shell of himself).

There's nothing wrong with the post. You just don't have a counterpoint.  

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Copp didn’t cost an actual player. Let alone 3. All of which were first round picks. All of whom are under age 23. 

Morgan Barron isn't a player?

Andwho cares what round they were picked in, they don't perform like first round picks and that's why they would be getting shipped out. 

OK they're under 23... And there are players ready to come in the next season ('23-'24) and replace them. Kakko out for Kane, Kane walks, enter Othmann. 

Toews walks, Goodrow to 3C, enter Cullye. 

Losing Chytil and Kakko are like clipping nails (assuming they don't increase production, which is why we'd need Kane and Toews anyway).

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pete said:

Morgan Barron isn't a player?

Andwho cares what round they were picked in, they don't perform like first round picks and that's why they would be getting shipped out. 

OK they're under 23... And there are players ready to come in the next season ('23-'24) and replace them. Kakko out for Kane, Kane walks, enter Othmann. 

Toews walks, Goodrow to 3C, enter Cullye. 

Losing Chytil and Kakko are like clipping nails (assuming they don't increase production, which is why we'd need Kane and Toews anyway).

I completely forgot about Barron.

I double checked the transaction too on Copp’s HR page and Barron isn’t listed. 
That’s weird.

Anyway… yeah. I get your point. But I think they are pretty committed to seeing how it goes as of now. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I don't see how it's bait, you're talking about two under performing players, a defenseman we don't have room for, and a pick.

For Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews (even at a shell of himself).

There's nothing wrong with the post. You just don't have a counterpoint.  

You want to give the equivalent of 4 1st round picks for 2-3 months of Kane along with a guy who looks washed and is worth pretty little in a trade right now. That’s just no bueno.

I also never said Kakko was bad, but I wouldn’t blame anyone for having that opinion. That being your takeaway from stuff I’ve said about him kind of just proves my point though that Rangers fans in general right now are incapable of critiquing young players who have been hyped up or drafted high. They get attached and so badly want to be contrarian to the “NY fans and media can’t be patient!” stigma, that it has to be optimism full of rainbows and butterflies all of the time. Critique is mischaracterized as hatred or dislike.

Edited by rmc51

How many of the Rangers 1st and 2nd round prospects of recent years are sunk costs at this point?

The scouting department overhaul may be based on the organizations interpretation of the question above.