• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

Fully on board with just handing over the 2C reigns to chytil...for an entire season. Everyone understands the rangers need to be creative to field a team under the cap over the next few seasons, so you just have to be open to taking a big time chance on someone unproven, in some capacity. If its not on a guy like chytil, then who?

I'd rather include Chytil in a trade for a 2C and plug in a 3C/use Goodrow than give Chytil the 2C. We were just 2 wins away from a SCF. He hasn't done jack shit to prove anything outside of a hot week in the playoffs. We say every year is the year for him. 5th full NHL season coming up, show a pulse. 

• Keeps it 100 1

11 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

But tell me how you really feel about Chytil 🤣

If we are really sticking to point totals, and in partial seasons, then Lafreniere and Kakko aren’t top 6 players either. The Rangers might as well just trade them too, yeah?

Btw I’ll drive Chytil to the airport in a PLD trade.

He just doesn’t make his line, or linemates, better. 
i still try to be optimistic with him, but how long does that go?

the kid line was ok, but not good enough  to be the 2nd line. I’d love to see Chytil break out offensively but he continues to show he has no idea how to work with others. I use to trash Zibanejad for his single digit ES assist totals, and I assume Chytil is worse. 
they love him because he has skill, and he is huge on the ice. I think his best bet is a Goodrow- Chytil - Kakko “checking” line. None of these guys show chemistry, but they can go muck it up, and that’s a big, heavy line.  Although I’d like to see a bit more skill dispersed throughout the lineup, I think this will meet the needs of the team.

15 minutes ago, josh said:

the kid line was ok, but not good enough  to be the 2nd line. I’d love to see Chytil break out offensively but he continues to show he has no idea how to work with others. I use to trash Zibanejad for his single digit ES assist totals, and I assume Chytil is worse. 
they love him because he has skill, and he is huge on the ice. I think his best bet is a Goodrow- Chytil - Kakko “checking” line. None of these guys show chemistry, but they can go muck it up, and that’s a big, heavy line.  Although I’d like to see a bit more skill dispersed throughout the lineup, I think this will meet the needs of the team.

I get all that. He hasn’t proven enough. But none of the kids have, so that leads me back to my point in this thread about trading for Kane rather than a top 6 C rental like Miller. There are other proven Cs around Chytil, and they don’t have that at RW. Right now it’s looking like Laf/Kakko/Krav/maybe Blais. I don’t mind a couple kids on the right in the top 9, but there needs to be at least one proven commodity next year. They had to stick two trade deadline guys there this year. I’m more comfortable hoping for one guy (Chytil) elevating his play than at least two of those guys on the right. Just sign a mid-range $3-4M C like Stastny for extra depth and see what happens.

Edited by rmc51

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

Took 30 seconds on nhl.com there. Is there a generational gap between us? I can do a webex meeting to show ya how to navigate the interwebs 😉

That's 30 seconds too many... Looking for the one thing that's happened the one time. 

And the fact that you just said WebEx means that I'm on the younger side of the generation gap here. 🤣

Edited by Pete

Just now, Pete said:

That's 30 seconds too many... Looking for the one thing that's happened the one time. 

That’s just the most recent one I remembered off the top of my head. You are not baiting me into digging up more. No sir. But you can watch just about any game the last couple months of the season to see plenty of it.

2 hours ago, josh said:

Who's going to make Panarin better? Who's going to make a Panarin driven line? If it all goes through Panarin (it does), what does the center actually have to do that Chytil doesn’t? Go to the net and in back of the net.  Have your RW, work the boards and be a net front presence. Everyone has to find open ice or create open ice for Panarin. 

You go with Chytil because all the other options cost too much in every facet of acquiring them. It's either too much term for a FA, or not enough term for trade options. Stick it out for atleast half the season,  then reassess. But absolutely sign a guy like Stastny as a safety net. 

I mean Strome put up 54 points this season.  If Chytil (or Stastny) puts up 40 points in his first full season, I'd think things would be going in the right direction. 

IMO he deserves a chance. He hasn't gotten one yet. 

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

But tell me how you really feel about Chytil 🤣

If we are really sticking to point totals, and in partial seasons, then Lafreniere and Kakko aren’t top 6 players either. The Rangers might as well just trade them too, yeah?

Btw I’ll drive Chytil to the airport in a PLD trade.

Well, the difference clearly is that Chytil has played about a season + worth of games more than either of those two and isn’t even trending up really. Besides a couple of good weeks in the playoffs.. In Alf’s case, in his second year he’s outscored anything Chytil has ever done. 

4 hours ago, Niko said:

Am I too late to catch Pete wetting his pants over the idea of Kane in a rangers sweater?

Not like you saw 10 years ago. 

He’s not really on the wagon, as it doesn’t fit a need and will cost too much to acquire. 

• Bullseye 1

I dont even know what Chicago would want. They are voiding the team of all young talent. 

We would need to send salary back their way and no one with a hefty contract would waive to go there. This is a non story. Near impossibl

I can't imagine any scenario that would let us afford to have Kane here.  I would love to have the guy, no doubt!  If anyone could pull it off, it would be Drury.  He's been really great so far.  Maybe some wacky 3 or 4-team deal to get us a 2nd line center, Kane and what ever else we need? 

Though I still think Drury would have a better chance of eating 6 apples and shitting a fruit salad!!  LOL

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

This just doesn't compute for me, and bluntly...it's one that the Breakaway guys got 100% right, imo.

Kane is a GREAT player who doesn't fit a need. He's not a center. His acquisition cost is likely too high - even if it is Prospect, Pick, Pick. We're just stacked on wing as it is - even if we send off one of our young RW in the deal. 

Further - adding firepower is nice, but who comes off our stupidly good powerplay for him? You're not bumping Zib, you're not bumping Fox, you're not bumping Panarin, you're not bumping Kreider. Are you really getting that much more with Kane instead of Lafreniere (I guess?) in that final spot? You're not suddenly going to drop your PP1 to 60 seconds of ice time because you now have Patrick Kane on PP2 when your PP1 literally ran the season for you.

Let's talk again in March, where his retained cap hit is closer to 2m.

I'd add that if we were having this conversation about Jonathon Toews, I might feel a little different about it

• VINNY! 1

18 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I dont even know what Chicago would want. They are voiding the team of all young talent. 

We would need to send salary back their way and no one with a hefty contract would waive to go there. This is a non story. Near impossibl

Chicago is totally tanking. Tearing it all down to the studs and foundation.

Think they’d like to have that Seth Jones deal back?

1 minute ago, RangersIn7 said:

Chicago is totally tanking. Tearing it all down to the studs and foundation.

Think they’d like to have that Seth Jones deal back?

I'm 100% certain their new GM hates that deal already. He didn't make the trade or sign the contract and he's stuck with that behemoth until at LEAST 2028.

5 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

This just doesn't compute for me, and bluntly...it's one that the Breakaway guys got 100% right, imo.

Kane is a GREAT player who doesn't fit a need. He's not a center. His acquisition cost is likely too high - even if it is Prospect, Pick, Pick. We're just stacked on wing as it is - even if we send off one of our young RW in the deal. 

Further - adding firepower is nice, but who comes off our stupidly good powerplay for him? You're not bumping Zib, you're not bumping Fox, you're not bumping Panarin, you're not bumping Kreider. Are you really getting that much more with Kane instead of Lafreniere (I guess?) in that final spot? You're not suddenly going to drop your PP1 to 60 seconds of ice time because you now have Patrick Kane on PP2 when your PP1 literally ran the season for you.

I'd add that if we were having this conversation about Jonathon Toews, I might feel a little different about it

Toewes might very well be that 2nd center we could use.  But you're dead on with Kane, G-Dawg.  I just don't see where he addresses any of the team's holes at present.

Look, I'm all about coming back to this in March. I'm all about throwing the whole damn house at Chicago to get both of these guys on half retained if that's the difference between drawing blood in the playoffs and breaking the Cup a few times. 

Right now, I can't justify it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Look, I'm all about coming back to this in March. I'm all about throwing the whole damn house at Chicago to get both of these guys on half retained if that's the difference between drawing blood in the playoffs and breaking the Cup a few times. 

Right now, I can't justify it.

Retaining half salary on both still wouldn't be enough; we would need to send significant salary back their way. If we say Kakko, Nemeth and Lundkvist. That could help make it happen. 

Just now, jsm7302 said:

Retaining half salary on both still wouldn't be enough; we would need to send significant salary back their way. If we say Kakko, Nemeth and Lundkvist. That could help make it happen. 

It should work at the deadline. Usually 15 games or so after the TDL, so you're a little over 80% of the way through the season. Let's call it 75% in case I'm off.

Cap hit accrues daily. So, if we have an injury or send someone up or down, we're able to save a bit of cap. Both of them would have 2.5M of "remaining" cap hit; with full retention, 1.25 each so we'd need 2.5m total remaining cap.

A short version of this is to make sure the Rangers have 10M in deadline cap space on Capfriendly (since they're awfully kind to do this math for us). With our current cap space, we have 47M+ in deadline (just to give a sense for how it goes).

We would still need to send someone off elsewhere in all likelihood, but it's by no means insurmountable.

• VINNY! 1

23 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Toewes might very well be that 2nd center we could use.  But you're dead on with Kane, G-Dawg.  I just don't see where he addresses any of the team's holes at present.

I’d be wary on Toews. I know he was coming back from a very serious Illness last season, but he was awful 

Gotta see what he does before I deal for him

• Keeps it 100 1

48 minutes ago, LindG1000 said:

Correct. This is what @Pete has been saying for a few days now, and I'm not sure there's a bigger Kane fan on the site than him.

I'd go so far as to say he's more than just a great player who doesn't fit a need — he's a luxury they can't afford. Not now, at least. At the deadline, with at least 50% retention? Maybe. But I'm sticking to my strategic guns on this: pay Arizona to double retain. Now we're cooking with gas.

Just now, Phil said:

Correct. This is what @Pete has been saying for a few days now, and I'm not sure there's a bigger Kane fan on the site than him.

I'd go so far as to say he's more than just a great player who doesn't fit a need — he's a luxury they can't afford. Not now, at least. At the deadline, with at least 50% retention? Maybe. But I'm sticking to my strategic guns on this: pay Arizona to double retain. Now we're cooking with gas.

I'm sorta with you on the double-retain, but at that point in the season and at that point in the contract...why do it unless we absolutely have to?

Assuming we're within a million of the ceiling, we're like...a month of missing any of the big guns away from being able to swing both of them without a double-retain. I think it's pretty likely we'll have the deadline space.

I will almost assuredly eat shit on that last sentence tomorrow.

• LMFAO 1