• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

44 minutes ago, Pete said:

When I say they don't need a RW, I mean they have like 5 guys who can line up there.

They literally don't have enough centers on the team right now. 

That’s not true. They have Zib,Chytil, Goodrow, Brodzinski, Rydahl a vet they just signed from the SHL. They are also capable of signing another depth center or two. It’s not an issue.

So the discussion comes down to quality, not quantity. That’s why everyone is focused on 2C. But when you look at the top 9, I’m decidedly less worried about Zib/Chytil/Goodrow than I am Lafreniere/Kakko/Kravtsov. I learned my lesson thinking the Rangers would be OK on the right side this past season. It was an abomination, and well worse than what I would expect down the middle from the 3 guys we have now.

5 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

That’s not true. They have Zib,Chytil, Goodrow, Brodzinski, Rydahl a vet they just signed from the SHL. They are also capable of signing another depth center or two. It’s not an issue.

So the discussion comes down to quality, not quantity. That’s why everyone is focused on 2C. But when you look at the top 9, I’m decidedly less worried about Zib/Chytil/Goodrow than I am Lafreniere/Kakko/Kravtsov. I learned my lesson thinking the Rangers would be OK on the right side this past season. It was an abomination, and well worse than what I would expect down the middle from the 3 guys we have now.

No offense, but you really discredit your entire argument when you use Brodzinski and Rydahl to prove your point. 

You can't say you don't have faith in RW when Chytil is your 2C, and 2 guys who no one ever heard of are in your rotation. That's not depth. 

• Bullseye 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

No offense, but you really discredit your entire argument when you use Brodzinski and Rydahl to prove your point. 

You can't say you don't have faith in RW when Chytil is your 2C, and 2 guys who no one ever heard of are in your rotation. That's not depth. 

No I don’t. Not anymore than you having to go to Ryan Reaves and Dryden Hunt when you go down 4 or 5 guys on the right.

The fact is Zibanejad and Goodrow are more dependable players than the names you can give me on the right wing. And Chytil, for all his shortcomings to this point, has shown more than Kakko and Kravtsov.

9 hours ago, Pete said:

They just don't need a RW though. 

I think if Miller could work with Pettersson he can work with Bread. Miller has the same qualities as Strome in knowing where to be, finding lanes, being an outlet who can make plays. He's just got a mean streak and is willing to play in traffic. 

I think we’ll certainly have some Nylander-like regret when Strome is gone. I can see Miller being A fit with Strome. I’m not sure about “in place of”.

Same with Copp. 

sure, Panarin can play with anyone, but he was a top 5 player in the league with Strome. 

id almost rather settle for a shit player like Mckegg over paying (cap/assets) a lot for a guy hoping it works. 

38 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

No I don’t. Not anymore than you having to go to Ryan Reaves and Dryden Hunt when you go down 4 or 5 guys on the right.

The fact is Zibanejad and Goodrow are more dependable players than the names you can give me on the right wing. And Chytil, for all his shortcomings to this point, has shown more than Kakko and Kravtsov.

The smarter move today is to solidify your top 6 Center and take your chances on RW simply because you can grab wingers easier than centers later in the year. 

Kane is a luxury, a center is a necessity. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

The smarter move today is to solidify your top 6 Center and take your chances on RW simply because you can grab wingers easier than centers later in the year. 

Kane is a luxury, a center is a necessity. 

They don't need to solidify center long term right now, but if a PLD were available, I'd hope they go that route. Otherwise, they can wait until next summer to make a long term center decision. They don't need to rush that. They have one star center, a defensive center, and a young hopeful one. Its a fine mix. At RW, it sounds like we agree that it is a mess on the depth chart filled with a bunch of hope-ium. More hope-ium than currently exists at center. You're just ok taking a chance on it. I'd rather not. Again...last year. Lessons learned. I don't see a proven RW as a luxury. It's a need.

From a one year rental standpoint, I'll take the best available player. That's Kane.

43 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

They don't need to solidify center long term right now, but if a PLD were available, I'd hope they go that route. Otherwise, they can wait until next summer to make a long term center decision. They don't need to rush that. They have one star center, a defensive center, and a young hopeful one. Its a fine mix. At RW, it sounds like we agree that it is a mess on the depth chart filled with a bunch of hope-ium. More hope-ium than currently exists at center. You're just ok taking a chance on it. I'd rather not. Again...last year. Lessons learned. I don't see a proven RW as a luxury. It's a need.

From a one year rental standpoint, I'll take the best available player. That's Kane.

I'm more OK taking a chance on our RWs than with Chytil at 2C centering Panarin and Kane, yes. The puck would never see the inside of the dots. 

Miller is the type of player they need. Kane isn't. It's really that simple. Kane wasn't helping against Tampa. Miller was. 

Edited by Pete

51 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm more OK taking a chance on our RWs than with Chytil at 2C centering Panarin and Kane, yes. The puck would never see the inside of the dots. 

Miller is the type of player they need. Kane isn't. It's really that simple. Kane wasn't helping against Tampa. Miller was. 

Both make valid arguments. We are weak depth wise in both positions. Problem is centers are more expensive and integral to success. Kravtsov could come and be uber successful. Chytil has been here and we know most likely won't be.

We definitely need a center more than anything else. Not addressing that issue is letting a year of Panarins contract go for no reason than future planning. We need to plan for now. That means making a hockey trade from a position of strength. Not signing a free agent to the going rate. If its two years of PLD or one of JT Miller. We do what we need to win now.

Patrick Kane is not the answer to this teams woes. Frank Vatrano was a better pick up for that due to contract and the way he gelled into this lineup and his ability to SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK. 

Gimme Malkin. Gimme PLD. Gimme JT Miller. Anyone to make the second line chug along successfully.

I just gamble on chytil here and bide my time. At some point we will need the kids to shine if we’re going to win ever and to me they earned their shot in the playoffs. Chytil in particular showed the skill set that could be good with panarin as a big guy that created space and can shoot. You gotta put him out there and give him the shot. At worst its a low risk high reward gamble. Doesn’t work? All the rental trades discussed are cheaper in the middle of the year. We’re not losing out on any UFA center who would really be the answer outside of moving significant cap 

• Bullseye 1
  • VINNY! 2

I don’t see how 3 maybe 4 good playoff games by Chytil cancels out 4 years of shit and earns him the right to 2C.   He has to play 20 or so good games at 3C to earn the promotion in my book.  Maybe we take a step back this year like many people predict but putting Chytil at 2C based on a handful of good playoff games is too big a gamble and almost guarantees less success this season.    Center is too important a position.  Wing you can gamble with a little more.  Hell they played Hunt on the 2nd line 20+ games and still won games.   

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Filip Chytil has played four full seasons in the NHL and has yet to eclipse 25 points in any of them and some of you want to slide him into the 2c role because he earned it in a few playoff games? I just don't get it. He isnt a 2c, not here, not anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1

I dislike chytil as much as the next guy but you two are missing the point. It’s not that he’s earned the right to the position - far from it actually. It’s that he’s earned a shot at it this year as much as any other move we’re thinking of making outside a very select few that probably involve him going the other way. We want a guy to play with bread who is big, can do some dirty work on the corner, and shoot the puck. That’s chytil all postseason. There isn’t a similarly affordable option (pld excluded) so I think you just put chytil there and see what happens. We’re not signing any of the kadris, and outside of copp and strome, everyone else is as much of a gamble as chytil is. Can we get strome or copp for the right number? Sounds great, I’m in, but absent those two things I don’t think you make a move just to get rid of chytil, I think you give him the spot and see what happens, and if nothing happens we’re in the same spot halfway through the season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Filip Chytil has played four full seasons in the NHL and has yet to eclipse 25 points in any of them and some of you want to slide him into the 2c role because he earned it in a few playoff games? I just don't get it. He isnt a 2c, not here, not anywhere. 

Ballsy prediction: this is the season he finally breaks 23 points! 

its ballsy because we’ve been saying it for 3 seasons, now 

23 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

There's a lot of missing context in this though. He's been here four seasons, yeah, but not for four seasons worth of games. And, no, he hasn't eclipsed 23 points, but when he's had 3 seasons in a row of 60 something or 40 something games played, total points isn't looking at the whole picture (injury issues are another valid talking point). Projected totals over 82 games matter more when there aren't full season samples to look at, and when you look at those he's really been about a 10-15 goal, 30-35 point center on 13-14 minutes a night, with negligible PP time. It's not that much of a stretch thinking Chytil is a 15-20 goal, 35-40 point guy by moving up in TOI and with more consistent line mates, all of which would still be at ES because he's not cracking PP1. That's comparable to Ryan Strome at ES, as he had 15 goals and 24 assists for 39 points in 74 games. Harder matchups of course, but also more TOI and playing with Panarin and then 2 months of Copp instead of a revolving door between Lafreniere, Gauthier, and Goodrow.

8 minutes ago, josh said:

Ballsy prediction: this is the season he finally breaks 23 points! 

its ballsy because we’ve been saying it for 3 seasons, now 

If you've been saying it for 3 seasons, the error lies in your expectations. This past season was the first season he did not meet expectations, and the last 3 months of it (playoffs included) was a good step up.

1 hour ago, Valriera said:

I dislike chytil as much as the next guy but you two are missing the point. It’s not that he’s earned the right to the position - far from it actually. It’s that he’s earned a shot at it this year as much as any other move we’re thinking of making outside a very select few that probably involve him going the other way. We want a guy to play with bread who is big, can do some dirty work on the corner, and shoot the puck. That’s chytil all postseason. There isn’t a similarly affordable option (pld excluded) so I think you just put chytil there and see what happens. We’re not signing any of the kadris, and outside of copp and strome, everyone else is as much of a gamble as chytil is. Can we get strome or copp for the right number? Sounds great, I’m in, but absent those two things I don’t think you make a move just to get rid of chytil, I think you give him the spot and see what happens, and if nothing happens we’re in the same spot halfway through the season. 

The words "Chytil" and "corners" don't belong in the same sentence unless you are including the word "dunce" somewhere. 

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

If you've been saying it for 3 seasons, the error lies in your expectations. This past season was the first season he did not meet expectations, and the last 3 months of it (playoffs included) was a good step up.

good excuse?

I mean, 4 seasons... hasnt topped 23 points.

Brett Howden put up as many points playing 20 less games.

He's a one-trick pony, and he can't even do that.

His 'successful' playoff translates to about 37 points over 82 games. Minus the 30 he'll probably miss, and he's at 25 points. No, that's not 2C. Panarin deserves more. Fuck, we deserve more.

Chytil is not holding up any trades, and is incredibly luck the Rangers C-depth is non-existent. Well, he might be due to lack of value for the other team.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

The words "Chytil" and "corners" don't belong in the same sentence unless you are including the word "dunce" somewhere. 

I’d always agree except he showed it all playoff long much to my own shock, in the hardest time to show it no less, hard to explain away as just a fluke. A fluke is 20 regular season games 

It's been awhile since Chytil was a star level player anywhere.

Maybe he got on track this last post-season.

Maybe the Rangers will be moving on after next season.  

If they throw him out on the ice with what is likely to be 3rd/4th line caliber players it increases the chances they're moving on.

Edited by Br4d

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

Good job wasting your Sunday scouring the internet for the one time the one thing ever happened. 

Took 30 seconds on nhl.com there. Is there a generational gap between us? I can do a webex meeting to show ya how to navigate the interwebs 😉

1 hour ago, josh said:

good excuse?

I mean, 4 seasons... hasnt topped 23 points.

Brett Howden put up as many points playing 20 less games.

He's a one-trick pony, and he can't even do that.

His 'successful' playoff translates to about 37 points over 82 games. Minus the 30 he'll probably miss, and he's at 25 points. No, that's not 2C. Panarin deserves more. Fuck, we deserve more.

Chytil is not holding up any trades, and is incredibly luck the Rangers C-depth is non-existent. Well, he might be due to lack of value for the other team.

But tell me how you really feel about Chytil 🤣

If we are really sticking to point totals, and in partial seasons, then Lafreniere and Kakko aren’t top 6 players either. The Rangers might as well just trade them too, yeah?

Btw I’ll drive Chytil to the airport in a PLD trade.

Edited by rmc51
  • Applause 1