• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

2 hours ago, Slobberknocker said:

hmm,  trade nemeth.  move kakko and get chicago to retain some kane dough, this almost looks doable.

Not sure Kakko is enough to get Kane double-retained through a 3rd team so his cap hit fits at $2.625M.

With the moves that Drury made today, it's clear now that the play for Kane is a deadline move. There were options for it to be a full season move, but not anymore.

2 hours ago, rmc51 said:

Not sure Kakko is enough to get Kane double-retained through a 3rd team so his cap hit fits at $2.625M.

With the moves that Drury made today, it's clear now that the play for Kane is a deadline move. There were options for it to be a full season move, but not anymore.

May not need double retention at the deadline. If they keep enough room open during the year, they should accrue enough space that a simple 50% deal, NYR-CHI, should get it done.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

May not need double retention at the deadline. If they keep enough room open during the year, they should accrue enough space that a simple 50% deal, NYR-CHI, should get it done.

Agree. I meant for a full season on that. At the deadline they can get him half retained like you said and probably for only a 1st and C prospect. Maybe less if he only waives for here. I can’t imagine he wants to do the Hawks any favors right about now after they fucked him over so restrict it to one team to ensure cheap price or walk and they get nothing.

Edited by rmc51

1 minute ago, rmc51 said:

Agree. I meant for a full season on that. At the deadline they can get him half retained like you said and probably for only a 1st and C prospect. Maybe less if he only waives for here. I can’t imagine he wants to do the Hawks any favors right about now after they fucked him over.

Yeah, to get him now, you 100% need a third team for double retention, which they can't really afford to pay for.

Reading between the lines with Kane saying he wants to stay in Chicago for now to see how the season goes, this is 100% the play. This is gonna be like the worst kept secret in hockey this season. First-rounder and, like, Lundkvist or something. It's not even gonna take much, because I bet he pulls an MSL and says "New York only."

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1
  • VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Yeah, to get him now, you 100% need a third team for double retention, which they can't really afford to pay for.

Reading between the lines with Kane saying he wants to stay in Chicago for now to see how the season goes, this is 100% the play. This is gonna be like the worst kept secret in hockey this season. First-rounder and, like, Lundkvist or something. It's not even gonna take much, because I bet he pulls an MSL and says "New York only."

Yup.

Which is why they should find a way to do it now. 

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

That narrative is so overplayed....just like it was for....

Gretzky, Lindross, Jagr, Shanahan....etc.... the big player name on the marquee. Yea, we get it. Weekes fails to address the logistics of costs of acquisition and salary caps.

Just now, jsm7302 said:

That narrative is so overplayed....just like it was for....

Gretzky, Lindross, Jagr, Shanahan....etc.... the big player name on the marquee. Yea, we get it. Weekes fails to address the logistics of costs of acquisition and salary caps.

Except that all those guys did extremely well.

In the case of Kane, I firmly believe this is going to be the worst kept secret in hockey. It's happening. Just not until the deadline for cap purposes.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Phil said:

Except that all those guys did extremely well.

In the case of Kane, I firmly believe this is going to be the worst kept secret in hockey. It's happening. Just not until the deadline for cap purposes.

Whats the cost? I'm cap-dumb. How does that work with his salary? We only get hit for the remainder of the year?

1 minute ago, jsm7302 said:

Whats the cost? I'm cap-dumb. How does that work with his salary? We only get hit for the remainder of the year?

He's in the final year of his deal. $10.5M cap hit. Cap room increases throughout the season, so this depends somewhat on exactly what roster the Rangers ice in terms of their ability to accrue space as the season goes on, but a healthy estimate is around $3.8M of room at the deadline. If Chicago eats as much as 50% of the contract, which I'd imagine they would, it's entirely plausible. The bigger question is who goes the other way to entice them. My guess is one of Kakko or Kravtsov — whoever is the bigger disappointment this season.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Phil said:

He's in the final year of his deal. $10.5M cap hit. Cap room increases throughout the season, so this depends somewhat on exactly what roster the Rangers ice in terms of their ability to accrue space as the season goes on, but a healthy estimate is around $3.8M of room at the deadline. If Chicago eats as much as 50% of the contract, which I'd imagine they would, it's entirely plausible. The bigger question is who goes the other way to entice them. My guess is one of Kakko or Kravtsov — whoever is the bigger disappointment this season.

It shouldn’t be one of those 2, unless it’s a disaster, for a rental. 

4 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Agreed, but it will be a steep price if Chicago is eating half of the cap hit.

Every playoff team and their dog will want to add a productive Patrick Kane at that cost. Impossible to say which prospect(s) as we don't know who is going to continue to develop this season with injuries and opportunities factored in; but I would think two first round picks plus will be the ask(depending on the prospect/player going the other way). 

• Keeps it 100 1

3 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

Agreed, but it will be a steep price if Chicago is eating half of the cap hit.

Every playoff team and their dog will want to add a productive Patrick Kane at that cost. Impossible to say which prospect(s) as we don't know who is going to continue to develop this season with injuries and opportunities factored in; but I would think two first round picks plus will be the ask(depending on the prospect/player going the other way). 

We will see. But they need to avoid sending a roster piece the other way on a rental.

Im somewhat encouraged by the lower return Chicago got on Debrincat and Dach.

That potentially bodes well for the Rangers.

Plus I’m not worried too much about other suitors as Kane gets to pick

Edited by RangersIn7

32 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Probably not, no, but I'd imagine that's what Chicago will ask for. I suppose you can supplant with Blais and someone like Nils Lundkvist if they still see tremendous upside in him. Blais likely isn't long for the team anyway and you need to clear out at least one RW in the deal to slot in Kane.

23 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

We will see. But they need to avoid sending a roster piece the other way on a rental.

Im somewhat encouraged by the lower return Chicago got on Debrincat and Dach.

That potentially bodes well for the Rangers.

Plus I’m not worried too much about other suitors as Kane gets to pick

They'll likely have to. Assuming one of Lafreniere or Kreider moves right, you have Kakko and Kravtsov still there, plus Blais, and possibly Reaves. Reaves doesn't matter, but all the others do. Is Blais going to be a healthy scratch for your team, with Kravtsov or Kakko on your fourth line?

If Kravtsov lights it up, he's going the other way in a deal for Kane.

There are two teams involved here, and we're getting the better player, so it's unrealistic to this Chicago is going to take our "disappointment" and retain half Kane's cap hit.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Well, that sounds like a no brainer honestly. Maybe they will need a D man instead?? Like a Lundkvist? Considering what we just paid for Copp, this is going to be a HAUL.

56 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Well, that sounds like a no brainer honestly. Maybe they will need a D man instead?? Like a Lundkvist? Considering what we just paid for Copp, this is going to be a HAUL.

Not the same scenario. Copp was open market. Multiple bidders. From what we know now, Kane only wants the Rangers.

7 minutes ago, Phil said:

Not the same scenario. Copp was open market. Multiple bidders. From what we know now, Kane only wants the Rangers.

I completely overlooked that detail in my last post, and it is great to have the bread man as a pull. In all fairness though, that is what he is saying now(supposedly). 

It might be a different scenario when the trade deadline comes around and he sees the landscape a little better about who has the best chance to win the cup. I have to assume that winning the Stanley Cup will take precedence over playing on Bread's off wing. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

If Kravtsov lights it up, he's going the other way in a deal for Kane.

There are two teams involved here, and we're getting the better player, so it's unrealistic to this Chicago is going to take our "disappointment" and retain half Kane's cap hit.

Absolutely not. If Kravtsov lights it up, he’s not going anywhere for a rental.

Kane holds the cards. If he forces the move to New York, Chicago can choose to take a fair price or simply get nothing. Kane might be the best option at the deadline, but he will not be the only one for the Rangers.