• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

On 7/22/2022 at 7:04 AM, Br4d said:

The Rangers are in cap hell right now.  It doesn't look like cap hell because we're keeping the high-cap players but the truth is the layers below them are rotting and the depth is already bad from a contender's perspective.

The nightmare is that Miller proves out big time and the Rangers have to keep him at any cost and Lafreniere just idles along keeping the Rangers from being comfortable with the kind of 2 year deal he will demand after the season.

That's where the imbalance in the cap really starts to look like hell.

Great post

On 7/22/2022 at 7:04 AM, Br4d said:

The Rangers are in cap hell right now.  It doesn't look like cap hell because we're keeping the high-cap players but the truth is the layers below them are rotting and the depth is already bad from a contender's perspective.

The nightmare is that Miller proves out big time and the Rangers have to keep him at any cost and Lafreniere just idles along keeping the Rangers from being comfortable with the kind of 2 year deal he will demand after the season.

That's where the imbalance in the cap really starts to look like hell.

Tight against the cap and some issues with depth are common for contending teams.

We’ve seen it before. In all capped sports.

The trick is navigating it.

Look at Colorado.

After this coming season, they’ll be in a real spot too. Only 12 on that roster are under contract after next season. Mackinnon is getting a huge raise. Probably a max contract. They’re going to have to maneuver a lot.

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Tight against the cap and some issues with depth are common for contending teams.

We’ve seen it before. In all capped sports.

The trick is navigating it.

Look at Colorado.

After this coming season, they’ll be in a real spot too. Only 12 on that roster are under contract after next season. Mackinnon is getting a huge raise. Probably a max contract. They’re going to have to maneuver a lot.

I agree with everything you just said.

However Colorado has their Cup in hand and they have a really good shot at another one.

The Rangers aren't on that progression at this point.  They're going to have to get very lucky to avoid getting stuck at tier 2 through the remainder of their veteran core contracts.

29 minutes ago, Br4d said:

However Colorado has their Cup in hand and they have a really good shot at another one.

The Rangers aren't on that progression at this point.  They're going to have to get very lucky to avoid getting stuck at tier 2 through the remainder of their veteran core contracts.

Meh, they have to replace 150ish points from Kadri and Burakovsky.  They're not gonna have anywhere near the depth the had last year.

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Yeah.

But they’re close. 
And Colorado has already lost guys and will lose more. 

Point is, both teams are married to their core.

So are numerous other contending teams 

I think in one of these years, Rangers will be good enough. 

• Believe 1

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

But they’re close. 
And Colorado has already lost guys and will lose more. 

Point is, both teams are married to their core.

So are numerous other contending teams 

I think in one of these years, Rangers will be good enough. 

I say this without being biased, without being a homer and without trying to sound like an uneducated hockey fan:

I truly, from the bottom of my heart and my brain, believe this group will get to the top of the mountain. I do. I believe they will win a Stanley Cup.

During the Lundqvist era, we had some star players who were good here, but better elsewhere. We had really good youngsters come up and emerge (McDonagh, Callahan, Zuccarello, as a few examples). But I always looked at other teams and their hardware and gaudy stats. “Wow, that team has a 90-100 point player every year? Or this one has a Norris Trophy winner? Look at that team with a Vezina Trophy winner.”

We have guys who are young and near the top of the ranks in their positions in critical areas. We have one of the best wingers in the sport. We have a Top-10 center in the sport. A top-3 defenseman. Arguably the best goaltender. And that’s not to mention other key guys we have.

They need work. They’re not at the top yet. But man, the fact we were able to make this type of run this fast in the process is so encouraging and just a reminder that the best will eventually come. It may not be next year. It may take some time. But I truly do believe that this core, this elite level core, will bring a Stanley Cup to MSG eventually.

• Believe 4

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I say this without being biased, without being a homer and without trying to sound like an uneducated hockey fan:

I truly, from the bottom of my heart and my brain, believe this group will get to the top of the mountain. I do. I believe they will win a Stanley Cup.

During the Lundqvist era, we had some star players who were good here, but better elsewhere. We had really good youngsters come up and emerge (McDonagh, Callahan, Zuccarello, as a few examples). But I always looked at other teams and their hardware and gaudy stats. “Wow, that team has a 90-100 point player every year? Or this one has a Norris Trophy winner? Look at that team with a Vezina Trophy winner.”

We have guys who are young and near the top of the ranks in their positions in critical areas. We have one of the best wingers in the sport. We have a Top-10 center in the sport. A top-3 defenseman. Arguably the best goaltender. And that’s not to mention other key guys we have.

They need work. They’re not at the top yet. But man, the fact we were able to make this type of run this fast in the process is so encouraging and just a reminder that the best will eventually come. It may not be next year. It may take some time. But I truly do believe that this core, this elite level core, will bring a Stanley Cup to MSG eventually.

Look… this is what gets overlooked.

Its really damn hard to win a Cup.

Even Dynastic teams with multiple HOF players don’t win every year. Nor do they have an infinite window.

Ideally, you hope to assemble a group that over a 5 year span, can win a Cup, in a single season.

And if you win one, you can talk about more than 1.

But that’s it. 

Chicago won 3 in 6 seasons with 3-4 HOF’ers

Pittsburgh won 3 in 10 seasons with 3-4 HOF’ers. 
Tampa and LA got 2 a piece with 2-3 HOF’ers.

Its hard.

Plus you need the right cast behind those guys.

I think the Rangers have that enough to win a Cup at some point in next 3-5 seasons. 

2 hours ago, Phil said:

The play is still Patrick Kane, but a Kane+Toews combo (likely with a third team like Arizona for potential double retention) is a real possibility at the deadline.

I think we need to stop with the Arizona double retention proposals. 

On 7/26/2022 at 8:27 PM, josh said:

Toews should be the target. Now. Worry about Kane at the deadline - not a necessity. 

all Toews does is check boxes.

I wouldn’t rush in on Toews. That illness really took a lot out of him.

He was dogshit last year.

Gotta see him rebound this year because I’m not dealing for him off his most recent season 

Towes, if he is 100% would be a pretty decent add at the deadline, I think.

I still feel like Phil hit this one on the head....Kane to the Rangers at the dealine is going to be the worst kept secret all season in the NHL.

6 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Towes, if he is 100% would be a pretty decent add at the deadline, I think.

I still feel like Phil hit this one on the head....Kane to the Rangers at the dealine is going to be the worst kept secret all season in the NHL.

Love Toews, and sorry to keep dialing the same number, but I’m full stop on him until he shows otherwise.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

Love Toews, and sorry to keep dialing the same number, but I’m full stop on him until he shows otherwise.

He had 24 points in the last 41 games, that's about a 50-point season and he wasn't playing with Kane or Debrincat. 

He's never going to be what he was, but that doesn't mean he's not going to be productive. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

He had 24 points in the last 41 games, that's about a 50-point season and he wasn't playing with Kane or Debrincat. 

He's never going to be what he was, but that doesn't mean he's not going to be productive. 

I kinda think he would be a heck of a 3rd line center, especially with the playoff mileage he has, Pete.  If he's even close to 100% healthy, it may be a fairly decent option down the pike a bit (TDL).   I'm sure we'll be watching for it!!!  = )

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Pete said:

I know

And there are other aspects to his game that have value 

Just saying I’d need to see more first

1 minute ago, Phil said:

1. Boy band insider is notoriously unreliable.

2. If this is legit, Patrick Sharp probably told him about how sick the strip clubs in the Big D are to convince him to go for a short trip.

If he’s landing where the strip clubs are best, might as well hand him a Habs jersey and a “how to” book on how to speak French and how to understand your currency now features phrases like loonie and toonie.

• Keeps it 100 1