• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

14 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I don’t care if the trade was with the Roman Empire and the return was Jesus Christ coming back out of captivity. It might have bought a few more dinners between Christ and the disciples, but it would have been on borrowed time. It’s a deadline rental. Deadline rentals don’t get #1OAs who also look like Yukon Cornelius.

You know I'm loving this!!!  LOL

I'm not sure how the Rangers can include Chytil in this deal.  I'm not seeing a whole ton of center depth on this team or in Hartford to fill in for Chytil (as limited as he is).  Maybe if Rydahl makes a serious impression in Hartford he can be included but it seems like a big ask.  

5 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I fully expect Chytil to be in the deal for Kane unless certain things happen between now and the deadline.

1st

conditional 2nd (1st if Rangers make SCF or some shtick)

Chytil

Kravtsov or a B prospect like Sykora

That kind of package.

Then they’ll trade for the best mid-6 center rental they can get.

It’s going to be all-in time.

It was RMC

3 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I don’t care if the trade was with the Roman Empire and the return was Jesus Christ coming back out of captivity. It might have bought a few more dinners between Christ and the disciples, but it would have been on borrowed time. It’s a deadline rental. Deadline rentals don’t get #1OAs who also look like Yukon Cornelius.

We can agree to disagree there.

He's in a log jam stuck on the third line for the foreseeable future, and probably can be replaced by Othmann by the time Krieder and Panarin are gone.

Add something in the mix if you want, but he's not a blocker for getting Kane. Not one bit.

I don’t see the Rangers being willing to offer up Lafreniere to get Kane. Nor do I think it’ll come to that. I’m sure Chicago might aim high, but eventually find common ground with the Rangers as far as picks/prospects/players go.

I still think that first from Dallas is the golden ticket to these future negotiations. The opportunity to have their own (likely) high pick, plus Dallas being in the top half potentially, plus potentially the Rangers sprinkling in their own, or 2nds, plus prospects who might help there, could be enough if Kane lets it be known with the power of his no-move that this is his preferred destination. I think Chicago will work with him, while also trying to not get hood winked. But I think there is respect there, and Chicago will try to accommodate him.

My guess is it looks closer to something like Kravtsov, Robertson, maybe Cuylle, the Dallas pick and an additional NYR pick to get him here. 

14 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I don’t see the Rangers being willing to offer up Lafreniere to get Kane. Nor do I think it’ll come to that. I’m sure Chicago might aim high, but eventually find common ground with the Rangers as far as picks/prospects/players go.

I still think that first from Dallas is the golden ticket to these future negotiations. The opportunity to have their own (likely) high pick, plus Dallas being in the top half potentially, plus potentially the Rangers sprinkling in their own, or 2nds, plus prospects who might help there, could be enough if Kane lets it be known with the power of his no-move that this is his preferred destination. I think Chicago will work with him, while also trying to not get hood winked. But I think there is respect there, and Chicago will try to accommodate him.

My guess is it looks closer to something like Kravtsov, Robertson, maybe Cuylle, the Dallas pick and an additional NYR pick to get him here. 

The players bolded are junk, though. We value these players too highly. Kravtsov has been nothing so far, Robertson got sent back early in the pre-season (aka not even competing for that open 3LD spot) and is going to be 22, so not playing real minutes for a new team until 23, if he can make the new team out of camp (probably will because, Chicago). Cullye is probably a bottom 6 guy.

So you have a top 10 pick and then 3 guys who right now have very little value.

Unless Kravtsov lights the world on fire after (when healthy), that's a terrible return for a top player and that GM should be shot. Even MSL on the last hole of his career got a 28 year old ~60 point player and 2 firsts.

Nash came in at 28 and got 3 roster players and a first. He wasn't a rental, but still.

Would I trade Laf for Kane? No. Is it out of the realm of possibility? No. They traded Weight and Amonte and no one cares because Cup.

Edited by Pete

I do think the Rangers pick and the Dallas pick are the charms of the trade. I think Chicago would value having not 1, but 3 first rounders in a draft projected by many to be extremely strong. 

That, in addition to prospects like Kravtsov, who has his warts but is also young and talented, and guys like Cuylle and Robertson, could be a realistic return for someone who is, at the end of the day, a rental.

If Kane we’re signed, with term? Different story. If you were able to get Kane for a run this year, plus another additional year or 2, I’d agree. With MSL, we did what we did because we were getting him for that stretch run plus has him under control the following season.

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Maybe it becomes a 3 way deal. Lafreniere might fetch a ton. I think I agree with @Pete in that Lafreniere can be replaced with Othmann in the future,  as hes very much blocked (as well as soon to be too expensive to resign).

If Lafreniere can fetch you 2 - 1sts AND a young roster player (3C), then the Rangers can swing a deal for a mix of 2 firsts and Chytil,  or a first, Chytil and Cuylle for Kane+ it kinda solves some cap issues going forward, while also replacing youth with picks instead of only a vet. 

After a cup run, they decide if they can or want to resign Kane to a team friendly deal. Then potentially insert Othmann into the roster in a better suited role for his style of play (3rd line), where Lafreniere isn't the greatest fit as he deserves better. 

Start looking for a team with a really good, young, large bodied 3C, that plays a 3C game.  Target that team for your Lafreniere haul. Unless I'm missing a perfect fit with Chicago..

Chytil, Garand, 1st, 2nd 

maybe Jones in place of one of the above.

salary retainer, maybe a 5th going elsewhere for additional retention. 

and if that’s the cost to acquire, it might not include an extension but will be a verbal agreement based on rangers cap the next season. Maybe a 1 year deal if the cap is projected to go higher the following season. 

Add another group commenting on Kane and the Rangers. He just did an interview on TNT before the season opener. They go back to the panel where they ask if he will finish the season in Chicago. Biz brings up that others on the panel brought up Carolina. And then as they’re pulling away, someone said something about the Rangers.

Everytime his name has been brought up, we have been attached.

”Where there is smoke, there is fire.”

I know Laf's been underwhelming, but we're not trading him for a half season rental. Even if he's blocked or not lived up to the hype. He's a talented player that even if he's not gonna be a superstar, will round out to a 30g, 60p+ player with a little nasty edge. He's also still a recent 1st overall pick, you don't trade that (especially not just as a part of a package) for a rental.

1st, two of Robertson, Kravtsov, Cuylle, Chytil and a conditional 1st. Can't see anyone offering a better deal than that, so take it or leave it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pete said:

The players bolded are junk, though. We value these players too highly. Kravtsov has been nothing so far, Robertson got sent back early in the pre-season (aka not even competing for that open 3LD spot) and is going to be 22, so not playing real minutes for a new team until 23, if he can make the new team out of camp (probably will because, Chicago). Cullye is probably a bottom 6 guy.

So you have a top 10 pick and then 3 guys who right now have very little value.

Unless Kravtsov lights the world on fire after (when healthy), that's a terrible return for a top player and that GM should be shot. Even MSL on the last hole of his career got a 28 year old ~60 point player and 2 firsts.

Nash came in at 28 and got 3 roster players and a first. He wasn't a rental, but still.

Would I trade Laf for Kane? No. Is it out of the realm of possibility? No. They traded Weight and Amonte and no one cares because Cup.

Put your Broadway blue glasses back on and admit that Kravtsov is going to be the next Bure....how dare you....😏

16 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Add another group commenting on Kane and the Rangers. He just did an interview on TNT before the season opener. They go back to the panel where they ask if he will finish the season in Chicago. Biz brings up that others on the panel brought up Carolina. And then as they’re pulling away, someone said something about the Rangers.

Everytime his name has been brought up, we have been attached.

”Where there is smoke, there is fire.”

The Rangers are mentioned in the conversation around every high profile player.

We even have a beat writer talking about a trade and Kane re-signing, which we all know is practically impossible unless she plays for $1M.

At first I was thinking “long term?? Ain’t no money Lol”. Now I’m not. His next contract probably looks like Malkin’s. He’ll be 35 early in the season next year. Think 4yrs x $6-6.5M.

Out

Kakko $2.1M

Chytil $2.3M

Goodrow $3.625M

Total Out $8.025M

In

Kane $6.5M

Othmann $900k

<bot 6 center> $1.5M

Total In $8.9M

It can work, but it’s extremely unlikely.

Of course, if you go @Pete’s route and trade Lafreniere instead of Kakko, you’ll be saving at least $4M (estimated value on his next contract, assuming bridge) rather than Kakko’s $2.1M. But I mean cmon, we ain’t trading Lafreniere…right???

Edited by rmc51

Chicago's going to want a ton for Kane.....and they should.  He's a very sought after piece of the puzzle for any team, and he could literally push the needle to make that team a solid favorite to win it all.

This year needs to unfold.  By the time the TDL comes around, things should be a lot clearer as to what we need, who we need, and who goes packing.

One thing I will say though...I'm not underestimating the guy he plays next to out there as a rental;  Toews would make one fucking hell of a 3rd line center behind Zibby and Trochek.

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Chicago's going to want a ton for Kane.....and they should.  He's a very sought after piece of the puzzle for any team, and he could literally push the needle to make that team a solid favorite to win it all.

This year needs to unfold.  By the time the TDL comes around, things should be a lot clearer as to what we need, who we need, and who goes packing.

One thing I will say though...I'm not underestimating the guy he plays next to out there as a rental;  Toews would make one fucking hell of a 3rd line center behind Zibby and Trochek.

They may want a ton but the teams that he'll waive his NMC for will definitely limit the offers that they get as well as his cap hit for the rest of the season.  I think when the deal is finally made there will be a lot of people saying "that's it?".  

• Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

29 minutes ago, Kevin said:

They may want a ton but the teams that he'll waive his NMC for will definitely limit the offers that they get as well as his cap hit for the rest of the season.  I think when the deal is finally made there will be a lot of people saying "that's it?".  

Which is usually the case anyway

On 10/12/2022 at 4:56 PM, Kevin said:

I'm not sure how the Rangers can include Chytil in this deal.  I'm not seeing a whole ton of center depth on this team or in Hartford to fill in for Chytil (as limited as he is).  Maybe if Rydahl makes a serious impression in Hartford he can be included but it seems like a big ask.  

the other way to look at it for me is, they've already committed to their 1st and 2nd line centers for super long term. Chytil is improving and I like him on our third line but at some point, ias his value as a trade piece (especially in a Kane deal)  more than we get out of him as a 3rd liner? (not to discount the importance of a good third line)

Kane holds all the leverage in this deal. Full No move (not including the 'good will' kind of move this could be from the blackhawks to a guy whose been a franchise defining player to get a deal done that works for him) so it's not necessarily gonna take a huge package to acquire him. Chytil Plus the Dallas pick and maybe another conditional pick if he re-signs with the Rangers is probably a decent framework (I'm sure with cap implications there might have to be more to consider, Phil has mentioned roping in a team like the yotes for a double retention)

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I think people are overblowing a reunion with Panarin. Why wouldn't he want to go to Ottawa to play with the Cat? Why not go to the blues and play with  Saad? 

5 hours ago, rmc51 said:

At first I was thinking “long term?? Ain’t no money Lol”. Now I’m not. His next contract probably looks like Malkin’s. He’ll be 35 early in the season next year. Think 4yrs x $6-6.5M.

Out

Kakko $2.1M

Chytil $2.3M

Goodrow $3.625M

Total Out $8.025M

In

Kane $6.5M

Othmann $900k

<bot 6 center> $1.5M

Total In $8.9M

It can work, but it’s extremely unlikely.

Of course, if you go @Pete’s route and trade Lafreniere instead of Kakko, you’ll be saving at least $4M (estimated value on his next contract, assuming bridge) rather than Kakko’s $2.1M. But I mean cmon, we ain’t trading Lafreniere…right???

I have to be honest, the more I think about it the more I think that trading Lafreniere doesn't matter if you wind up with a cup, Kane and Othmann. 

I really think we're overreacting every time Lafreniere makes a competent hockey play... When I think about overall team makeup, if we lose him but add Othmann and Kane ... That's just an overall better team. 

Edited by Pete

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I have to be honest, the more I think about it the more I think that trading Lafreniere doesn't matter if you wind up with a cup, Kane and Othmann. 

I really think we're overreacting every time Lafreniere makes a competent hockey play... When I think about overall team makeup, if we lose him but add Othmann and Kane ... That's just an overall better team. 

big No, here.

you don’t trade a Lafreniere in a deal for an 83 year old that won cups when dentist dad still posted here 

7 minutes ago, josh said:

big No, here.

you don’t trade a Lafreniere in a deal for an 83 year old that won cups when dentist dad still posted here 

You have a lot of hot takes, but this has to be the hottest. 

I understand you have your own personal beef with Kane, but think objectively. 

5 minutes ago, Pete said:

You have a lot of hot takes, but this has to be the hottest. 

I understand you have your own personal beef with Kane, but think objectively. 

dude, you are suggesting trading a 1st overall ++++++++ for a rental.

take your own advice, lol 

including Lafreniere in a Kane trade might be an all-time Worse take