• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

7 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

Why? How are you gauging if they should

be fair game come deadline time or not?

FWIW if Kakko was a at 25 pts come deadline time and the Rangers are at the top of Metro, I have no hesitation dealing him for Kane. If he’s at 45 pts come deadline time, he’s off the table.

Why is this silly?

Because I don't make up arbitrary numbers when evaluating deals. There's a lot of intangibles there. Does Kakko have 25 points but is a top PKer on the team, is he driving improved 5v5 play? Does he have 45 points living off his linemates? You know who was missed last year? 40 point player Jesper Fast at 2RW.

I'm not going to make up a point threshold, but I will say that if Kakko (or Laf) are buzzing and producing at the TDL it's moot because it likely means you don't need Kane, anyway.

We didn't go into last year knowing RW would be a black hole, but it was very clear by the TDL. I'm assuming we'll have that clarity this year, too.

4 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I raise you with 15years of Lafreniere+3cups+Othmann.

If we're just automatically adding cups, I feel Lafreniere will help the Rangers win 3 in his 15 years as a Ranger.

Well now you've jumped the shark, so this is where I leave you.

Edited by Pete

Rangers may have no need for Patrick Kane if key youngsters keep this up

Do you know how the Rangers can best answer this question? By having their top-six right wings play and produce at a level that obviates the need to deplete the organization’s prospect pool in a deal for a one-and-done addition to the lineup, even one as potentially life-altering as Kane, that’s how.

Wouldn’t it be grand if general manager Chris Drury could enter the deadline in a position of strength without being obligated to move either or both of his 2023 first-rounders or any of the young blue-chippers within the organization?

Yes, it is only four games out of a scheduled 82 with Monday’s 6-4 victory over the Ducks at the Garden in which Lafreniere and Kakko both scored. Yes, this constitutes a teeny sample size. This does not negate the fact that the lads have built something to grow on.

Lafreniere was on the come last year, his 18 goals at five-on-five good for club runner-up to Chris Kreider’s 20. The question circling around Lafreniere has focused on the lefty-shooter’s ability to adapt to his off-side on the right. Thus far, stepping up into the slot on the line with Artemi Panarin and Vincent Trocheck that opened upon Kravtsov’s opening-period injury, this has been a non-issue.

But Kakko seemed close to hitting an organizational wall with the expiration of his entry-level contract coinciding with his healthy scratch for the elimination Game 6 in Tampa Bay. Even the 2019 second-overall pick’s contributions to the Kid Line throughout the tournament had not been enough for head coach Gerard Gallant to keep him in the lineup.

There are nearly five months to go until the March 3 trade deadline. Twists and turns lay ahead. But if Lafreniere and Kakko can ride the baseline they have established this week and maintain their status as productive top-six right wings, the Rangers may have no need to raise Kane.

https://nypost.com/2022/10/17/rangers-may-not-need-patrick-kane-if-key-youngsters-keep-it-up/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

• Believe 2

It’s the truth. If Lafreniere and Kakko can each be viable Top-6 wingers for this team, it’d be an ideal scenario.

Still, the temptation of adding Kane to push us over the top is real. I was actually talking to a friend the other day about this. 

Imagine going into the playoffs with Kane potentially playing on a line with Chytil. And you have to try and figure out, as an opponent, how to match lines. You have the Zibanejad line, a line with Panarin on it, and then a line with Kane on it? One of the 3 would see time against a 3rd pair.

Its tempting. If Lafreniere and Kakko produce, yeah it may not be needed necessarily. But, it may also be the very thing that pushes you over the hump. Zibanejad on 1 line, Panarin on another, Kane on another. That is….oof.

On 10/14/2022 at 9:36 AM, Pete said:

Because I don't make up arbitrary numbers when evaluating deals. There's a lot of intangibles there. Does Kakko have 25 points but is a top PKer on the team, is he driving improved 5v5 play? Does he have 45 points living off his linemates? You know who was missed last year? 40 point player Jesper Fast at 2RW.

I'm not going to make up a point threshold, but I will say that if Kakko (or Laf) are buzzing and producing at the TDL it's moot because it likely means you don't need Kane, anyway.

We didn't go into last year knowing RW would be a black hole, but it was very clear by the TDL. I'm assuming we'll have that clarity this year, too.

PK players are replaceable. That’s not a good argument to not get Kane. At some point, there needs to be enough offensive upside shown to remove a player from the trade equation.

I agree to some extent that points can be arbitrary, inflated because of situation rather than earned by talent. Fact is if Lafreniere or Kakko are putting up points playing with Panarin or Zib, there will always be an argument that any totals they have are inflated. What you are left with is a subjective eye test.

5 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

PK players are replaceable. That’s not a good argument to not get Kane. At some point, there needs to be enough offensive upside shown to remove a player from the trade equation.

I never said anything like this.

I agree to some extent that points can be arbitrary, inflated because of situation rather than earned by talent. Fact is if Lafreniere or Kakko are putting up points playing with Panarin or Zib, there will always be an argument that any totals they have are inflated. What you are left with is a subjective eye test.

And that's why I won't make up a number. Right now, RW looks OK.

Edited by Pete

Kakko is looking like a pretty decent fit with Zib and Kreider so far.  His puck possession skills seems to give them a little breathing room out there.  I was also digging his drive to the net and getting that deflection goal last night.

He looks/plays bigger and less frail this season, but maybe that just me.  Small sample so far though....I'm hoping to see it continue though!

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

I never said anything like this.

And that's why I won't make up a number. Right now, RW looks OK.

“Does Kakko have 25 points but is a top PKer on the team, is he driving improved 5v5 play?”

A 25 pt pker isn’t stopping anyone from getting Kane. Chicago probably wouldn’t even ask for him though lol

Hopefully this isn’t all Kakko is come deadline time.

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Kakko is looking like a pretty decent fit with Zib and Kreider so far.  His puck possession skills seems to give them a little breathing room out there.  I was also digging his drive to the net and getting that deflection goal last night.

He looks/plays bigger and less frail this season, but maybe that just me.  Small sample so far though....I'm hoping to see it continue though!

I agree. He looks a bit stronger. He also looks like he’s got a quicker first step, better acceleration, and it’s helping him operate better in tight spaces.

• Keeps it 100 1

Kakko got time with Mika and Kreider last year earlier in the year and looked good. I always was intrigued to see that given another shot. But between injuries and then Vatrano slotting nicely there ended that debate.

Lafreniere was always going to wind up somewhere in the Top-6. The talent is there. Now that the confidence seems to be, and also given that he’s now going to see more ice time with Panarin who looks to be playing better than maybe ever, points will follow.

So I see Larry’s point. I don’t necessarily disagree. But like I said earlier, I’m not sure if Lafreniere and Kakko emerging makes pursuing Kane less intriguing or actually more intriguing. 

On one hand, I see the less intriguing aspect because the Top-6 is sealed up. On another, you need depth to win in the playoffs. Hypothetically, imagine Kane lining up next to Chytil. Imagine having to gameplan how to slow down a lineup where you have to face lines featuring Zibanejad, Panarin and then Kane in succession. It would be a risk, but it may be the very thing that literally shoved us across the finish line with some hardware come June. Because this team? They are close. They’re really, really fucking close.

• The Chyt! 1
  • Believe 2

10 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Kakko got time with Mika and Kreider last year earlier in the year and looked good. I always was intrigued to see that given another shot. But between injuries and then Vatrano slotting nicely there ended that debate.

Lafreniere was always going to wind up somewhere in the Top-6. The talent is there. Now that the confidence seems to be, and also given that he’s now going to see more ice time with Panarin who looks to be playing better than maybe ever, points will follow.

So I see Larry’s point. I don’t necessarily disagree. But like I said earlier, I’m not sure if Lafreniere and Kakko emerging makes pursuing Kane less intriguing or actually more intriguing. 

On one hand, I see the less intriguing aspect because the Top-6 is sealed up. On another, you need depth to win in the playoffs. Hypothetically, imagine Kane lining up next to Chytil. Imagine having to gameplan how to slow down a lineup where you have to face lines featuring Zibanejad, Panarin and then Kane in succession. It would be a risk, but it may be the very thing that literally shoved us across the finish line with some hardware come June. Because this team? They are close. They’re really, really fucking close.

And so am I. im horny jack nicholson GIF

• LMFAO 3
  • JIMMY! 1

1 hour ago, rmc51 said:

“Does Kakko have 25 points but is a top PKer on the team, is he driving improved 5v5 play?”

A 25 pt pker isn’t stopping anyone from getting Kane. Chicago probably wouldn’t even ask for him though lol

Hopefully this isn’t all Kakko is come deadline time.

Right, point being he's not just a PKer, he's still in the top 6 providing the defensive conscience, therefore helping the 5v5 issue.

Just more in the "it's not all about the points" bucket.

Let's assume that Lafreniere and Kakko are doing well at the deadline.  Further assumption Lafreniere is doing well but might be doing better on his normal side.  The promotion to the second line has stepped up his game but LW looks like his natural spot, which it is.

The defense looks very deep and talented and is among the youngest in the NHL.

The Rangers could make a trade for Kane with retention, giving up somebody like Lindgren with picks attached to clear further space. They could also trade Braden Schneider with more picks attached but that wouldn't free up as much cap space.

Then they keep playing Lafreniere at RW for the playoff push and into the playoffs with 3  good lines running:

Kreider - Zibanejad - Kakko

Panarin - Trocheck - Lafreniere

Best LW - Chytil - Kane

Then in the offseason they swap Kreider to Boston for picks and move Lafreniere back to LW but on the top line with Zibanajad and Kakko.  Panarin - Trocheck - Kane is line two.  Othman - Chytil - Best RW is line three.

The moves of Lindgren and Kreider give the Rangers the cap space they need to keep Kane and two current Rangers imbalances (LW/RW and D/F) are at least partially resolved in the sequence.

The move of Kreider is a tough one but we send him home lessening that impact both to team and player.  We get back picks from the Bruins because they have a need at LW similar to the one we have at RW right now and Kreider is both a hometown hero and a very good LW.

6 minutes ago, CCCP said:

at this point my major concern would be getting a defenseman than Kane.  This team isnt going anywhere with Jones or Hajek. 

Don’t worry

At the deadline, expect some roster shakeup.

Not seismic.

But fairly significant

I do believe Kane will be here.

They will find a way to add a depth D.

They will add a 4th line forward of some use. 

There’s a piece or two moving off the roster in exchange.

Kravtsov is unlikely to be here.

At least 1 of 2 1st round picks is gone.

A mid-range prospect is gone. 

The NHL regular season progresses in essentially 3 parts.

Opening: First 25-27 games. Through roughly Thanksgiving. 
Heart: Middle 40 games. Half the season. Right up to deadline. 
Stretch: Final 15-17 games. Integrate new personnel. Qualify. Prepare for postseason run. 

PEIR is the only stat that matters in that span. 

Then the postseason. Which is just about finding ways. 

Edited by RangersIn7

Just now, RangersIn7 said:

Don’t worry

At the deadline, expect some roster shakeup.

Not seismic.

But fairly significant

I do believe Kane will be here.

They will find a way to add a depth D.

They will add a 4th line forward of some use. 

There’s a piece or two moving off the roster in exchange. 

making a deal for a defenseman at deadline could be too late.  

• 5 weeks later...