• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

6 minutes ago, josh said:

Wait, so are we talking about old Patrick Kane (scored, off ice issues, winner) or modern Patrick Kane (not scoring, not engaged, not good)? 

or cherry picking?

Kane had 92 points last year. We aren’t talking about a guy far removed from being good. And the team traded away, Kubalik, DeBrincat, Strome, Dach, Hagel from last year. Kane is playing on an absolute skeleton roster. 

• Bullseye 1
  • Applause 1

People better start getting used to the idea of Drury going all-in. It doesn't matter what you think of the coach. It doesn't matter what you think about clutching onto every prospect in the system. It doesn't matter what you think about Kane arguably mailing it in for a franchise that basically stabbed him in the back and traded everyone around him. Moves are going to be made. Big ones. Kane will be a Ranger.

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 2
  • VINNY! 2
  • Keeps it 100 2

Playoff hockey is much different then regular season.

Rangers soft players on the top 6:

Zibb

Panarin

Chytil - he is on the list because his pussy gets hurt all the time

do we need another small sized player? 

It would be better to ad RW who has speed and a shot while playing physical hockey which playoff require.

we also need to upgrade our 4th line and Left D, so spend the assets properly.

Edited by Rangers

29 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Kane had 92 points last year. We aren’t talking about a guy far removed from being good. And the team traded away, Kubalik, DeBrincat, Strome, Dach, Hagel from last year. Kane is playing on an absolute skeleton roster. 

lol, yes I know.

Still not one of the first few moves they make, and especially when it comes to including top prospects being floated. 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Rangers said:

Zibb

Panarin

It would be better to ad LW who has speed and a shot while playing physical hockey which playoff require.

Stop. Kane has 125 points in 136 playoff games. 

• Bullseye 1
  • The Chyt! 1
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Rangers said:

Zibb

Panarin

It would be better to ad LW who has speed and a shot while playing physical hockey which playoff require.

Don't limit the soft scale to only the top six, cause it doesn't stop there and I think you're being kind, there's no edge to one of them if Kreids continues to play the way he has to date this year. Yet he's the closest thing we have in the "top six".  There's so little tough to play against it's frightening throughout, some but not much at all. 

I think it depends what Kane you get and what the cost is, I also think it's only a matter of time before we find out. 

Edited by jsrangers
  • Keeps it 100 1

16 minutes ago, josh said:

lol, yes I know.

Still not one of the first few moves they make, and especially when it comes to including top prospects being floated. 

I'm not crazy about Kane per say, but it does make perfect sense given the need to get bread going when it matters and their relationship. Kane playoff history is off the charts good. 

I also am interested in Tarasenko if the Blues continue to plummet but I figure they won't be sellers and straighten oit their season eventally. 

Guys who have been with their current team for a long time don't always jump in and perform for new teams that acquire them at the deadline.  (Marty St. Louis, one goal in his first 20 odd games with the Rangers; Eric Staal, dud).  If Kane came here, I think his production would be somewhere in between what he's doing now and what he's done in the past, and that's not worth the price we would have to pay.

I agree that some foot soldiers in the mold of Copp, Vatrono, Motte and Braun represents a better approach.

• Keeps it 100 1

8 hours ago, Sod16 said:

Guys who have been with their current team for a long time don't always jump in and perform for new teams that acquire them at the deadline.  (Marty St. Louis, one goal in his first 20 odd games with the Rangers; Eric Staal, dud).  If Kane came here, I think his production would be somewhere in between what he's doing now and what he's done in the past, and that's not worth the price we would have to pay.

I agree that some foot soldiers in the mold of Copp, Vatrono, Motte and Braun represents a better approach.

Kane would also be coming to play with a familiar face whom he had good chemistry with in Panarin. If Andrew Copp cost so much, I can't imagine what this deal will cost. Would you give Othmann to Chicago for Kane? 

8 hours ago, Sod16 said:

You mean, the approach that didn't work last year?

25 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Kane would also be coming to play with a familiar face whom he had good chemistry with in Panarin. If Andrew Copp cost so much, I can't imagine what this deal will cost. Would you give Othmann to Chicago for Kane? 

Othmann no. 

Kakko yes. 

24 minutes ago, josh said:

Too much for an old ,small guy

“…I've seen what happens to 5-10, 180# players and in 2-3 years …”

Conveniently leaving out the rest of it. If you're going to quote me, don't cherry pick. And just man up and quote me with the link to my post so everybody can read what I actually said, and not your butchering of it. 

10 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Kakko no.

Jones and Cuylle yes.

They aren't going to want Jones (they have 2 of their own already), and Cullye is worth more to this team as bottom 6th depth than Kakko.

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Pete said:

You mean, the approach that didn't work last year?

As opposed to the approach that didn't work with St.Louis? (or Yandle or Shattenkirk if those count)

I doubt the price of Kane would be worth it, but should they do it I look forward to being proven wrong.

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

They aren't going to want Jones (they have 2 of their own already), and Cullye is worth more to this team as bottom 6th depth than Kakko.

That's a crazy statement. Cuylle is struggling in the A while Kakko has been one of our better forwards this season. Even if Cuylle's style may be more suited for a 4th line role than Kakko's, there's no way he's more valuable or "worth more to the team" than Kakko.

They're never going to trade Kakko for a rental, nor should they. There's also no chance Kane signs for anything under 5 mill next year and there's no chance Rangers can fit that under the cap.

Kane would be a rental only and the price should to acquire him will reflect that. Picks (we have many), Kravtsov, Jones, Cuylle, Robertson is what they can get.

5 minutes ago, H-Dreamer said:

As opposed to the approach that didn't work with St.Louis? (or Yandle or Shattenkirk if those count)

I doubt the price of Kane would be worth it, but should they do it I look forward to being proven wrong.

Shattenkirk was a UFA.

And they were acquired to play on a completely different team, not last year's team which is pretty much the same as this year's team. So if it didn't work last year, and they only got so far with a ton of luck, why run it back this year?

By this logic we should never acquire any player, ever.

8 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

That's a crazy statement. Cuylle is struggling in the A while Kakko has been one of our better forwards this season. Even if Cuylle's style may be more suited for a 4th line role than Kakko's, there's no way he's more valuable or "worth more to the team" than Kakko.

They're never going to trade Kakko for a rental, nor should they. There's also no chance Kane signs for anything under 5 mill next year and there's no chance Rangers can fit that under the cap.

Kane would be a rental only and the price should to acquire him will reflect that. Picks (we have many), Kravtsov, Jones, Cuylle, Robertson is what they can get.

How crazy is it? All we hear about is Kakko being wasted in the bottom 6. He doesn't get PP time. Cullye doesn't need PP time. Cullye is something this team doesn't have.

It all depends on what you think Kakko's value to the team is. If Kakko continues to be a 35pt player here, in the bottom 6, as a PKer, since when does that make him untouchable? The drafted Jesper Fast at #2 overall.

People need to forget about draft position at this point. His best value to NYR may just be a tradebait.

That said, no one knows what Kane is going to sign for, so we can pause on the "there's no way" talk.

Edited by Pete

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Shattenkirk was a UFA.

And they were acquired to play on a completely different team, not last year's team which is pretty much the same as this year's team. So if it didn't work last year, and they only got so far with a ton of luck, why run it back this year?

By this logic we should never acquire any player, ever.

I don't necessarily disagree, but what would've needed to happen for it to "have worked" last year? They brought in a few rentals that all worked out really well individually and the team made the Conference final for the first time since 2015 and only lost to the back2back champs in 6 games. Yes I know about the injuries and luck, but I'm just curious to know exactly what that team last season would've needed to do for it to "have worked"?

And what would the difference be between what they did last season and what they're gonna do this year (if they get Kane)? I thought they went as "all in" as they could last year, the same would getting Kane be this year.

• Keeps it 100 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

How crazy is it? All we hear about is Kakko being wasted in the bottom 6. He doesn't get PP time. Cullye doesn't need PP time. Cullye is something this team doesn't have.

It all depends on what you think Kakko's value to the team is. If Kakko continues to be a 35pt player here, in the bottom 6, as a PKer, since when does that make him untouchable? The drafted Jesper Fast at #2 overall.

People need to forget about draft position at this point. His best value to NYR may just be a tradebait.

That said, no one knows what Kane is going to sign for, so we can pause on the "there's no way" talk.

It's really crazy actually. An established NHL'er that's been playing really good, even if his points total doesn't indicate that at the moment vs a late 2nd rounder that's been kind of struggling in the AHL. Kakko is only 1 year older as well.

There's no guarantee Cuylle will even be anything close to that. Kakko's floor is probably around Cuylle's ceiling.

Considering people look at him as a bust and only takes his points total into considerations, I'm pretty sure his best value is not in a trade. His trade value doesn't reflect his actual value at the moment because everyone is so disappointed because of lack of production relative to his draft position.

He's signed for 2mill for this and the next season. Even if he's only a middle-6 35p guy that's great value.