• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will be in on Patrick Kane

Phil

Just now, rmc51 said:

Kakko ain’t going anywhere no more. I think we can rest easy on that one.

I hope so, RMC!  I've been riding the "Kakko train" since he got here, and I'm really digging watching him become a pretty good NHL player now.

I'd like to see us take a swing at it this year by only making those "Buy Low" trades @Phil mentioned in the other thread.  We did superb last year with that approach.  I'm not denying Kane, because I'm a pretty big fan of his, but I'm just curious to see how we'd do with the kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Kane missed some time recently and two league sources confirmed reports already out there that the Hawks winger is dealing with a lingering issue that will require surgery. If Kane decides to shut it down now and have the surgery he’s off the trade board and likely heads to free agency in the offseason. If he plays through the pain, he could potentially be moved at the deadline and have surgery when his season’s done, pushing back his start time for 2023-24, which could complicate his free-agency choices.

Not ideal for Kane or the Hawks. For the Rangers it’s probably not a huge blow — they were likely to be in on Kane, especially if the player requested to only be moved to the Rangers, which would have kept the trade price low. Now it’s hard to see Drury having a keen interest in a player everyone knows is fighting through something and may not be helpful down the stretch or into the playoffs.

Kane’s decision should come soon. If he opts for surgery now, that tightens the higher end of the trade market a bit. But it could save the Rangers from having to make an unpleasant decision.

https://theathletic.com/4104473/2023/01/19/rangers-trade-deadline-patrick-kane-filip-chytil-contract/?source=emp_shared_article

4 minutes ago, Pete said:

Have to wonder what the injury is that will take 4+ months to rehab and push back his start next season, or miss the rest of this one...

Best speculation is that he needs arthroscopic, rest and rehab.

Its not serious in true scope. But short term, that’s bad. If it’s serious enough to where he won’t need more than a maintenance day or it could deteriorate to where he can’t play, or isn’t effective or worse when he does play, then I think you look elsewhere.

But if what he needs is just some rest and daily treatment for 3 months vs a right now clean out and such and the stuff nagging and he’s 34, etc., fine. 

Have to be certain on the medical and can’t ignore it. 

2 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

Best speculation is that he needs arthroscopic, rest and rehab.

Its not serious in true scope. But short term, that’s bad. If it’s serious enough to where he won’t need more than a maintenance day or it could deteriorate to where he can’t play, or isn’t effective or worse when he does play, then I think you look elsewhere.

But if what he needs is just some rest and daily treatment for 3 months vs a right now clean out and such and the stuff nagging and he’s 34, etc., fine. 

Have to be certain on the medical and can’t ignore it. 

Just feels like they should have shut him down earlier. Why were they letting him stink it up on a bad team? Complete asset mismanagement.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Just feels like they should have shut him down earlier. Why were they letting him stink it up on a bad team? Complete asset mismanagement.

Simple answer.

Cause with that injury, there’s a chance you can play through it under the right circumstances.

Final answer yet to be determined 

18 hours ago, Pete said:

Agreed.  Shut him down in November and if he gets the surgery right away he has all of December, January, February to rest/rehab if all it needs is 3 months.  Then he has a few weeks to get back into game shape just in time for the TDL.  Did this injury happen during this season or has this been lingering?  I don't remember it being mentioned here.  If he came into the season with it then why bother even starting the season?  Get it taken care of early on and he would have been back by now.

Edited by SaveByRichter35
  • Bullseye 1

I don’t, for a second, believe this is an injury that will require surgery this season. Maybe come summer. But I would imagine the Blackhawks wouldn’t fumble this and I imagine Kane wouldn’t fumble the opportunity to have a chance at a new contract and a chance to play for a contender.

I still think he gets dealt, probably here, I a few weeks provided his medical is clear. He probably does have something he’s dealing with. But I imagine by now, it would have been addressed.

The injury he just sat out a few games for was from a hit he took against San Jose.

4 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I don’t, for a second, believe this is an injury that will require surgery this season. Maybe come summer. But I would imagine the Blackhawks wouldn’t fumble this and I imagine Kane wouldn’t fumble the opportunity to have a chance at a new contract and a chance to play for a contender.

I still think he gets dealt, probably here, I a few weeks provided his medical is clear. He probably does have something he’s dealing with. But I imagine by now, it would have been addressed.

The injury he just sat out a few games for was from a hit he took against San Jose.

I believe he's still on IR. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Yeah. But look at their recent/summer moves. Not exactly the most sensible moves. They're a mess. 

18 hours ago, Pete said:

Yup. My guess is they literally just took him at his word.

"You feeling OK?"

"Yeah, I'm fine, just a little sore."

Then weeks go by and they're like... "are you sure you're OK? Let's see a doc, maybe?"

We are really at the point where serious self awareness is critically important.. 

Is this team 1 player away from beating Boston or Carolina.. or Tampa.. hell, Pittsburgh or Jersey in 7?  I don't think so, and I'm foolishly optimistic by nature. 

If that one guy- Kane, Meier, Tarasenko, Horvat can push you over, its absolutely worth the haul required, and the cap pain next year.

I just don't see volunteering for cap fuckery in 2023-24 coupled with dealing assets when I still don't feel great about getting out of the 1st round. 

• Like 1
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

18 minutes ago, Flynn said:

We are really at the point where serious self awareness is critically important.. 

Is this team 1 player away from beating Boston or Carolina.. or Tampa.. hell, Pittsburgh or Jersey in 7?  I don't think so, and I'm foolishly optimistic by nature. 

If that one guy- Kane, Meier, Tarasenko, Horvat can push you over, its absolutely worth the haul required, and the cap pain next year.

I just don't see volunteering for cap fuckery in 2023-24 coupled with dealing assets when I still don't feel great about getting out of the 1st round. 

You know what, Flynner....You have a solid point here.

I was very disheartened watching that "display" last night.  We weren't even playing badly.  I thought we had some pretty good opportunities to score, and also played a solid 50 minutes of that 60, only to come away with a loss at home, against a team on a back to back, against their #2 goalie.

The effort was actually there last night, and yet it didn't even look like we were in their league.

Maybe we should roll the dice with what we've got.  No need to swing for the roof knowing full well that we may very well NOT have the horses to contend for a Cup this season.  I know that won't be a popular decision for some, and likely not Dolan, but right now I'm not feeling like we're just one or two players away. 

Not only that, but I also feel like this team needs structural help defensively, and also offensively....They're make the same mistakes seemingly every game.