• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan McDonagh, J.T. Miller Headed to the Lightning

ClearedForContact

Steve Kournianos

@TheDraftAnalyst

Brett Howden is a Stepan-type 2-way playmaker. Strong center, smart all-round game and has size.

Hajek is a big-bodied shutdown guy who can skate. Very good mobility, footwork and can play on a top pairing one day. Almost like a McDonagh-lite. Good late in games.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I mean, after this draft we'll likely have the best system in the NHL.

This is exactly what was trying to be accomplished.

How is that? ZERO elite capable players to speak of. How does this make them the best system? They improved their system, but that doesn't really say much. They had next to nothing.

Steve Kournianos

@TheDraftAnalyst

Brett Howden is a Stepan-type 2-way playmaker. Strong center, smart all-round game and has size.

Hajek is a big-bodied shutdown guy who can skate. Very good mobility, footwork and can play on a top pairing one day. Almost like a McDonagh-lite. Good late in games.

That's a good comparison. I always felt that if Stepan only had more size and speed he would be even more dangerous. I think howden brings that aong with all of stepan's great attributes. People are bitching about not getting foote but I personally like Hajek better

Thoughts from the media …

John Shannon: “NYR President Glen Sather traveled with the team on the charter, in order to tell JT Miller he was traded. That way he wouldn’t have to be told by team personnel when they landed in Vancouver.”

Elliotte Friedman: “From what I understand, Hajek was the guy NYR wanted to seal the deal”

Steve Kournianos: “Hajek went in the 2nd round in 2016 but I had him as a 1st. Love this kid’s game. Prolly wont put up more than 25-30 points but the kid can skate and doesnt buckle under pressure.”

Ryan Kennedy: “Libor Hajek is a solid all-around D-man who played very well for the Czechs at the world juniors. Skates well, munches minutes. Brett Howden is a 200-foot center with skill who won gold with Canada at the same tournament.”

Joe Smith: “With McDonagh in fold, #tblightning would need to lose a defenseman as it’s carrying eight. None of them are waiver-eligible”

Joe Smith: “The fact #tblightning didn’t lose Cal Foote, Taylor Raddysh, etc is good news for a still-deep system. Tough for them to lose Howden, a former first rounder, and Namestnikov, a 20-goal scorer and well-liked in room. But you’ve got to give up something good to get McDonagh”

Alex Nunn: “I like Namestnikov and Hajek, but that really is not enough for McDonagh AND Miller.”

NHL Numbers: “- Namestnikov has 20 goals in 62 games this year. Big time selling high here. – Hajek (D-man) was a 2016 second rounder (35 pts in 51 WHL games) – Howden (forward) was a 2016 first rounder (58 pts in 38 WHL games)”

Steve Kournianos: “Brett Howden is a Stepan-type 2-way playmaker. Strong center, smart all-round game and has size. Hajek is a big-bodied shutdown guy who can skate. Very good mobility, footwork and can play on a top pairing one day. Almost like a McDonagh-lite. Good late in games.”

Chris Johnston: “Of note: Vlad Namestnikov is a pending RFA with arb rights who is having a career year production-wise.”

Cam Robinson: “Brett Howden is a former first rounder and very solid centre prospect. Definite top six upside. Libor Hajek was a top performer at WJC and has legit top four upside. Those are two A- / B+ prospects”

Dimitri Filipovic: “Tampa Bay was making a lot of noise that they didn’t want to pay Namestnikov this summer, who was going to be in for a really nice raise after all of his time riding shotgun with Kucherov and Stamkos. I like him as a player, but makes sense that he’d be the piece to go.”

Adam Gretz: “I don’t understand this rebuild/reset by the Rangers.”

Chris Peters: “That’s a pretty solid haul for NYR. TB has a deeeep prospect pool. I like Hajek and Howden a lot (a lot, a lot), but it doesn’t empty the cupboard for what they got. Fascinating deal.”

Justin Bourne: “Depending how you rate McDonaugh, seems a quality haul for NYR. And if you’re TB, swapping Namestnikov for McDonaugh makes you better today. So, sure. Think TOR pursued hard but couldn’t match what TB was willing to give.”

Ryan Wagman: “Hajek impressed the hell out of me in the WJC. Howden a solid 3rd liner type. Namestnikov, it will be interesting to see how he does away from Stamkos/Kucherov. Has talent, for sure.”

Mike Kelly: “In terms of addressing needs, McDonagh to Tampa checks a ton of boxes. He moves puck well, blocks shots & passes at a high rate. Tampa is bottom 5 allowing shots from the middle and struggles to limit chances via rush. Mcdonagh steps in with 2nd best zone denial rate of TB D-men.”

I was told he was becoming a big problem in the locker room. They said he got worse after he got married.

We gotta assume the org did the right thing then. I was hoping a new coach, fresh start, new system would really benefit him. We'll see how he does with Cooper. Cooper is good at this intangible shit and managing personalities.

He can play the game, and he could probably be better. After a while of watching a guy not doing all he can to get there, it?s time to move on.

I think this is the best way to look at it. I think Miller is the better player out of him and Hayes, but at least Hayesis progressing where Miller really isn?t. I still don?t think Hayes will be worth what he is gonna get, but Miller wasn?t progressing enough to warrant what he was gonna get here.

Steve Kournianos

@TheDraftAnalyst

They say Derek Stepan, I say Ryan Getzlaf.

Need to root for a Boston tank in the playoffs, want that pick as early as possible (and fuck Boston).... A Tampa Cup turns that 2nd rounder into a 1st, then we root for the most embarrassing post Stanley Cup hangover ever seen in 18-19.

The 2nd becomes a low 2nd if they win the cup. MINT.

We gotta assume the org did the right thing then. I was hoping a new coach, fresh start, new system would really benefit him. We'll see how he does with Cooper. Cooper is good at this intangible shit and managing personalities.

You can’t change someone who is just an asshole. If Torts and AV couldn’t get through to him, I doubt Cooper can.

You can’t change someone who is just an asshole. If Torts and AV couldn’t get through to him, I doubt Cooper can.

Maybe its the guys around that can help. He's walking into a good situation, and he knows some of the guys. Do or die for him.

Stevie aint giving him cash if he dont earn it.

The problem is sergachev is deemed untouchable, then point, then Foote. Oh and no roster players but you can have Namestnikov. The rangers were trading a top defenseman wanted by multiple teams. They threw in a 24 year old who everybody thinks sucks yet is one of their leading scorers the past three years. It?s ok for Gorton to say fine then we will pass until you?re willing to trade something that hurts too.

I think the haul is ok but just ok. There is nothing coming back that is guarneteed core going forward. Maybe this will end up being a home run maybe a bust. It just seems like Yzerman dictates extactly the deal he wanted and we took nothing that hurt. Namestikov does not excite me at all. I?d rather he not be something of value coming to us. The rangers are going to negotiate a contract with this guy based on numbers put up with Stamkos and Kucherov as his line mates? How do you even determine what he?ll be without playing with superstars? What do you pay him?

The problem is sergachev is deemed untouchable, then point, then Foote. Oh and no roster players but you can have Namestnikov. The rangers were trading a top defenseman wanted by multiple teams. They threw in a 24 year old who everybody thinks sucks yet is one of their leading scorers the past three years. It’s ok for Gorton to say fine then we will pass until you’re willing to trade something that hurts too.

I think the haul is ok but just ok. There is nothing coming back that is guarneteed core going forward. Maybe this will end up being a home run maybe a bust. It just seems like Yzerman dictates extactly the deal he wanted and we took nothing that hurt. Namestikov does not excite me at all. I’d rather he not be something of value coming to us. The rangers are going to negotiate a contract with this guy based on numbers put up with Stamkos and Kucherov as his line mates? How do you even determine what he’ll be without playing with superstars? What do you pay him?

I think Gorton was smart enough to know that serg and point were untouchable. Also I'm sure gorton checked with other teams who said the same thing about their top 2 prospects. When it comes to foote I think Gorton just likes hajek better and howden is a piece I wanted too. As for Miller I feel he was expected to take the next step but didn't. I'm not saying you are totally wrong about namestikov but its also possible gorton flips him at the draft as well if a good offer comes along or even wants to much money. We have to take into account that Mcdonagh sint the same player he was and I'm sure tampa knows that they are getting a real good defenseman but not the old mcdonagh. I doubt they resign him either. they are going for it these next two yaers. If they win I guess it was a success but if they don't this trade may sting because I personally think howden and hajek will become good nhl players and they agve up 2 high picks as well

The problem is sergachev is deemed untouchable, then point, then Foote. Oh and no roster players but you can have Namestnikov. The rangers were trading a top defenseman wanted by multiple teams. They threw in a 24 year old who everybody thinks sucks yet is one of their leading scorers the past three years. It?s ok for Gorton to say fine then we will pass until you?re willing to trade something that hurts too.

I think the haul is ok but just ok. There is nothing coming back that is guarneteed core going forward. Maybe this will end up being a home run maybe a bust. It just seems like Yzerman dictates extactly the deal he wanted and we took nothing that hurt. Namestikov does not excite me at all. I?d rather he not be something of value coming to us. The rangers are going to negotiate a contract with this guy based on numbers put up with Stamkos and Kucherov as his line mates? How do you even determine what he?ll be without playing with superstars? What do you pay him?

You don't. You give him a bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Fine to all that but they didn’t have to move them today. If Tampa wants to win and deems them the missing pieces make them pay something that they don’t want to give up. If no then do nothing and wait for the draft. If that’s all you can get then then do be it. This was an artificial deadline set by our management. This is not the best deal possible. Let Yzerman explain to his fan base that he did nothing at the deadline while Pitt and Boston added. We had the leverage here because we could have done nothing yet somehow there is Yzerman again dictating terms of the trade again all the while holding the bluff cards. I’m sorry this is terrible work here.

Stop pointing to all our picks in this draft only 1 comes from this trade and it’s basically a second rounder. How does Nash a ufa get us a prospect around the same Regard as Hajek, a first, spooner very close to Namestikov. While miller a rfa and 24, and mcd our captain with another year at great value only get us Howden and a second more? How the fuck is that possible?

Just my opinion we got bent over here. Yes we got good pieces but look at what we gave up. If Nash gets that return how does two way better assets only get us a second and a b+ prospect more than what he did? Sugar coat it all you want. Yzerman plays chess Gorton plays chutes and ladders.

And yes I’m driving the train for a rebuild but this trade wants me to bang my head against a wall. Great moves with grabner and Nash. I was really excited to see what Gorton did next especially with our biggest chip. The trade he made today made no sense. Miller mcd and maybe a pick or two gets you draistl possibly. Instead we got what? Nobody of consequence and nobody who’s upside is greater than millers.

Lindgren and Hajek aren’t similar at all. Do a little research. You’ll only find rave reviews of Hajek. That’s nothing against Lindgren. He was a good add. Hajek is just that underrated. If he was picked 10 spots earlier everyone would be talking about how we got a first round defenseman. He was picked 37th in 2016. Apparently he was good enough then and he’s only improved his game since.

Fine to all that but they didn’t have to move them today. If Tampa wants to win and deems them the missing pieces make them pay something that they don’t want to give up. If no then do nothing and wait for the draft. If that’s all you can get then then do be it. This was an artificial deadline set by our management. This is not the best deal possible. Let Yzerman explain to his fan base that he did nothing at the deadline while Pitt and Boston added. We had the leverage here because we could have done nothing yet somehow there is Yzerman again dictating terms of the trade again all the while holding the bluff cards. I’m sorry this is terrible work here.

Stop pointing to all our picks in this draft only 1 comes from this trade and it’s basically a second rounder. How does Nash a ufa get us a prospect around the same Regard as Hajek, a first, spooner very close to Namestikov. While miller a rfa and 24, and mcd our captain with another year at great value only get us Howden and a second more? How the fuck is that possible?

Just my opinion we got bent over here. Yes we got good pieces but look at what we gave up. If Nash gets that return how does two way better assets only get us a second and a b+ prospect more than what he did? Sugar coat it all you want. Yzerman plays chess Gorton plays chutes and ladders.

Gorton had 4 other offers for McDonagh. I’d have to imagine this was the best one, plus he got to move Miller who is not well liked by a lot of guys in the room. Someone with that reputation isn’t easy to get rid of. It’ll always show a little less on paper, but in reality they got what they wanted.

What did we give up?

A 45 point headcase and a D man we ran in to the ground who, if he isn't on the back 9 of his career, is in the clubhouse getting a sandwich at the turn.

If the two prospects were Foote and Raddysh would it change your mind?

It's worth noting that the untouchable Point was a mid 3rd round pick three years ago.

I believe some dark days are coming

I'm feeling like this right now. We are in for it. I don't think we got enough for both. I wasn't a big fan of Miller this year. He didn't really progress much. Still making some of the same old mistake. More PP time in front of the net and i was disappointed he wasn't able to score more there. But still, he was a valuable asset. And i'm just feeling we are underestimating the importance of McD to our team. And he is VERY valued, but still underestimated how much he held this team together.

Don't mind Nash or Grabner. Those felt ok. But this one feels like TB is screwing us again.

Archived