• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan McDonagh, J.T. Miller Headed to the Lightning

ClearedForContact

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i can feel for you i know you are a big JT miller fan but in the end he was the odd man out with hayes and now spooner and namestikov

I don’t care about trading him. The narrative here by many supporting the trade is ridiculous. And I’m pointing that out. If you want to take that as me being a huge miller fan fine. However that is not the case. My argument is that he was treated as a throw in the counter is that he’s a cancer so they were lucky to get rid of him.

i can feel for you i know you are a big JT miller fan but in the end he was the odd man out with hayes and now spooner and namestikov

It's not really about Miller being the odd man out. They threw him into this trade when they really didn't have to.

Also at this point, who gives a flying fuck about the locker room, the team isn't going anywhere and losing is the word. So with that logic they should have kept him to ruin the locker room so they keep losing and get a better pick...then move him at the draft.

The Rangers did okay here. They didn't hit a homerun, they didn't get top value imo for a guy that every team would take in a heartbeat.

If the situation was reversed, Rangers were tops in the league and just landed a team's top Dman/captain/all star/etc. along with one of their top point producers without touching any of their top young players or prospects, we ALL would be pounding our chests saying Yzerman got bent over and gorton is the man.

I don’t care about trading him. The narrative here by many supporting the trade is ridiculous. And I’m pointing that out. If you want to take that as me being a huge miller fan fine. However that is not the case. My argument is that he was treated as a throw in the counter is that he’s a cancer so they were lucky to get rid of him.

ok then why cant you just let it go?

I think you’re over exaggerating it just a little, and possibly taking it out of context. Which happens a lot on forums when you can’t see the person or hear their tone. I’m guilty of it at times, I think we all are. I’m saying that because I’m reading your posts as being angry, but as I’ve posted about this, I’m not mad at Miller, I don’t think he sucks, I wouldn’t say we were “lucky” to get rid of him either. It’s just some more info shared on the situation.

Also, and I’m not saying this in general, not at you ... Fans tend to get emotionally attached to players and during times like this things will get heated. Everyone loves, hates, likes, dislikes, etc .. players on the team they’re passionate about. Not everyone does it, but most do. I love McD, sad to see him go, but it is what it is. Miller, I’m not upset about either way. I try to keep the “what is best for the team” mentality rather than worrying about players I like or their personalities. Like Callahan, he had to go, get off my team, thanks for the memories. But he’s a good dude and was very personable with my kid when he was 6-7 y/o. I wish him well, good luck, I just don’t want your contract on my team. Lol

Heard Dave Maloney say Miller is a different kind of guy. He's married, has a kid and a dog, very suburban Ohio/Penn. middle class kind of guy, bit more grown up than the typical 20 something pro athlete. The implication being he's neither a major junior nor an American college kid, so he is doesn't readily fit in with any group within a typical NHL team.

Suspect Jon Cooper will get a lot more out of him than AV ever did.To anyone who still supports the gum-chewing idiot; he did not help a potentially productive young player get better, a running theme here. And as to vets running the room, it's become a disaster. A change of scenery is probably going to be good for Miller. Also not getting benched for nonsense while the likes of David Desharnais gobble up your ice time unproductively will be a new experience. Think NYR are going to regret getting rid of him(while the deal had to be done in some form), but it's done, let's move on.

I think you’re over exaggerating it just a little, and possibly taking it out of context. Which happens a lot on forums when you can’t see the person or hear their tone. I’m guilty of it at times, I think we all are. I’m saying that because I’m reading your posts as being angry, but as I’ve posted about this, I’m not mad at Miller, I don’t think he sucks, I wouldn’t say we were “lucky” to get rid of him either. It’s just some more info shared on the situation.

Also, and I’m not saying this in general, not at you ... Fans tend to get emotionally attached to players and during times like this things will get heated. Everyone loves, hates, likes, dislikes, etc .. players on the team they’re passionate about. Not everyone does it, but most do. I love McD, sad to see him go, but it is what it is. Miller, I’m not upset about either way. I try to keep the “what is best for the team” mentality rather than worrying about players I like or their personalities. Like Callahan, he had to go, get off my team, thanks for the memories. But he’s a good dude and was very personable with my kid when he was 6-7 y/o. I wish him well, good luck, I just don’t want your contract on my team. Lol

I agree with this 100%. I know my posts can be read as angry they are not. Passionate yes and sure with opinion hopefully rightly or wrongly with my reasoning for that opinion.

I’m all for what is going on. I liked everything Gorton did. I wanted to move mcd because we cannot resign him. I’m fine with moving miller. I really don’t gave an opinion either way about the player he currently is. I do feel there is more there a lot more. Will anybody ever see it? Who knows. I just think if we move on from him it should be for something of considerable potential. I see him as a throw in here. Maybe I’m wrong.

I don’t think it is fair to label the guy as a cancer or use that perception as the reason why it was ok throw him in like it’s no big deal. I don’t know peoples sources so I ask how credible they are. I think that’s reasonable and not angry or argumentative.

I feel like the best young player in this trade is miller. That’s my opinion. It’s not that I love him but he is a proven nhl producer at 24. The rangers are looking for building blocks here and miller to me anyway fits that bill. I just think adding him into this trade made little sense.

I’m asking again because I don’t know, probably none of us know this but what would this trade look like without miller?

Is it mcd for Howden first and Hajek? That seems better to me for what they are trying to do here. That’s just me. Honestly I really believe that even the conditional first might be part of the haul just for mcd. So is it Namestikov for miller? I’d rather have miller. Namestikov is a one dimensional player with far less production at this point in his career even with playing with superior line mates. Miller has plenty of faults but he brings more to the table here.

Maybe I’m wrong with how the values were considered in this trade. But if tartar gets a 1,2,and 3. Miller should get more than Namestikov. It maybe nitpicking but getting full value when you have zero ultimatum to have to trade the asset is a must. I don’t think that happened here. If miller was a demand by sy then Gorton should demand something sy doesn’t want to give up.

I’m ready to move on. I’m excited for the draft. I really am. I’m not down on what they are doing. I just don’t agree with this return for what we gave up. That’s all. It’s not comical I think it’s reasonable to have an opinion.

Heard Dave Maloney say Miller is a different kind of guy. He's married, has a kid and a dog, very suburban Ohio/Penn. middle class kind of guy, bit more grown up than the typical 20 something pro athlete. The implication being he's neither a major junior nor an American college kid, so he is doesn't readily fit in with any group within a typical NHL team.

Suspect Jon Cooper will get a lot more out of him than AV ever did.To anyone who still supports the gum-chewing idiot; he did not help a potentially productive young player get better, a running theme here. And as to vets running the room, it's become a disaster. A change of scenery is probably going to be good for Miller. Also not getting benched for nonsense while the likes of David Desharnais gobble up your ice time unproductively will be a new experience. Think NYR are going to regret getting rid of him(while the deal had to be done in some form), but it's done, let's move on.

look im not a AV fan but i dont buy the whole "he was ruining JT" angle. I actually felt he handled him well. In the beginning JT was given oppurtunity but was not mature enough yet. However the last few years he has shown much more trust in him and put him with hayes and grabner who both helped him. I admit ive never been a big miller fan and didnt want to pay him but he has talent. But truthfully with some of the young kids we have coming along with spooner and nakestikov there was really no room for him

I agree with this 100%. I know my posts can be read as angry they are not. Passionate yes and sure with opinion hopefully rightly or wrongly with my reasoning for that opinion.

I’m all for what is going on. I liked everything Gorton did. I wanted to move mcd because we cannot resign him. I’m fine with moving miller. I really don’t gave an opinion either way about the player he currently is. I do feel there is more there a lot more. Will anybody ever see it? Who knows. I just think if we move on from him it should be for something of considerable potential. I see him as a throw in here. Maybe I’m wrong.

I don’t think it is fair to label the guy as a cancer or use that perception as the reason why it was ok throw him in like it’s no big deal. I don’t know peoples sources so I ask how credible they are. I think that’s reasonable and not angry or argumentative.

I feel like the best young player in this trade is miller. That’s my opinion. It’s not that I love him but he is a proven nhl producer at 24. The rangers are looking for building blocks here and miller to me anyway fits that bill. I just think adding him into this trade made little sense.

I’m asking again because I don’t know, probably none of us know this but what would this trade look like without miller?

Is it mcd for Howden first and Hajek? That seems better to me for what they are trying to do here. That’s just me. Honestly I really believe that even the conditional first might be part of the haul just for mcd. So is it Namestikov for miller? I’d rather have miller. Namestikov is a one dimensional player with far less production at this point in his career even with playing with superior line mates. Miller has plenty of faults but he brings more to the table here.

Maybe I’m wrong with how the values were considered in this trade. But if tartar gets a 1,2,and 3. Miller should get more than Namestikov. It maybe nitpicking but getting full value when you have zero ultimatum to have to trade the asset is a must. I don’t think that happened here. If miller was a demand by sy then Gorton should demand something sy doesn’t want to give up.

I’m ready to move on. I’m excited for the draft. I really am. I’m not down on what they are doing. I just don’t agree with this return for what we gave up. That’s all. It’s not comical I think it’s reasonable to have an opinion.

i think you are overrating miller a bit. Plus you would probably have to give him a big raise....is he really worth it?

i think you are overrating miller a bit. Plus you would probably have to give him a big raise....is he really worth it?

I never said not to trade him. I never said to pay him any amount of money. The fact is he’s a rfa. You still own his rights. He had value. I don’t think they got back fair value for him.

I never said not to trade him. I never said to pay him any amount of money. The fact is he’s a rfa. You still own his rights. He had value. I don’t think they got back fair value for him.

i dont really agree. Truthfully him and namestikov kinda cancel eachother out and maybe add the cinditional first

look im not a AV fan but i dont buy the whole "he was ruining JT" angle. I actually felt he handled him well. In the beginning JT was given oppurtunity but was not mature enough yet. However the last few years he has shown much more trust in him and put him with hayes and grabner who both helped him. I admit ive never been a big miller fan and didnt want to pay him but he has talent. But truthfully with some of the young kids we have coming along with spooner and nakestikov there was really no room for him

Not "ruined' him by any means. But how is it Miller was very productive regular season guy and then would disappear in the playoffs? Why was he especially benched to play 4th liners? PP is a disaster and NOBODY seems to shoot nor go to the net. Miller did some of those things more often than other forwards. Instead we get a pass around the perimeter festival until the other team intercepts and clears the puck.

As Dunny stated, NYR now have a mess of interchangeable 2nd liners. And Miller's highest ceiling is nothing more than that. You can hope some of these guys step up and become something more. We'll see.

Namestnikov and Spooner seem like AV guys. They're both slick and gutless.

Now I'm worried.

And that’s the other part. Miller is the one guy who has a different dimension to his game from Hayes, spooner, and Namestnikov. Those three are all very similiar. Not only was miller a leading scorer he was also one of our leading hitters. I know there is less value placed on that. However we are seriously lacking guys who can forecheck and takeaway the puck and win battles along the boards. Miller was not great at that but he’s better than those three in that regard and he goes to the net

Not "ruined' him by any means. But how is it Miller was very productive regular season guy and then would disappear in the playoffs? Why was he especially benched to play 4th liners? PP is a disaster and NOBODY seems to shoot nor go to the net. Miller did some of those things more often than other forwards. Instead we get a pass around the perimeter festival until the other team intercepts and clears the puck.

As Dunny stated, NYR now have a mess of interchangeable 2nd liners. And Miller's highest ceiling is nothing more than that. You can hope some of these guys step up and become something more. We'll see.

oh come on. He sucked in the playoffs because of himself....be a little fair. If you want to be mad about him sometimes being moved around in the lineup fine BUT usually it was after a terrible turnover that led to a goal. Like i said i want AV gone but i cant blame him for millers inconsistency

No one said he was worthless. In fact, I think he?s a good player and probably has more room to be better and more consistent. Currently, I believe Namestnikov is better than Miller, not by miles, but better. It remains to be seen what he can do here, and what Miller will do in Tampa.

I'm a big fan of JT Miller's game and think he could be every bit of what Mike Richards was in Philly. 70ish points, physical, all situations, and thought we'd start to see it this year.

I've never been as disappointed by a player's performance as JT's this year. He hasn't responded well to anything. It was pretty obvious that he was a bit immature entering the league, and who knows what is or isn't true about the locker room stuff, but he just seems to have grown into more of an odd man out than part of the core. I will say that part of that is on AV - Miller should have been playing in the top-6 a lot more than he has, particularly in Zucc's spot - and I think Miller is right to be frustrated by that. But his on-ice response hasn't been good. His upside is still ridiculously high, but it just wasn't going to happen here in NY.

Having said that, I think Namestnikov and a 2nd, if that's the way it balanced out, is a really, really good return on him. In a more offensive role, Namestnikov could be more productive and, if it's addition by subtraction in the locker room, this is a big win. JT was my favorite player when he was on, but it was time to move him, and the return is right.

I'm a big fan of JT Miller's game and think he could be every bit of what Mike Richards was in Philly. 70ish points, physical, all situations, and thought we'd start to see it this year.

I've never been as disappointed by a player's performance as JT's this year. He hasn't responded well to anything. It was pretty obvious that he was a bit immature entering the league, and who knows what is or isn't true about the locker room stuff, but he just seems to have grown into more of an odd man out than part of the core. I will say that part of that is on AV - Miller should have been playing in the top-6 a lot more than he has, particularly in Zucc's spot - and I think Miller is right to be frustrated by that. But his on-ice response hasn't been good. His upside is still ridiculously high, but it just wasn't going to happen here in NY.

Having said that, I think Namestnikov and a 2nd, if that's the way it balanced out, is a really, really good return on him. In a more offensive role, Namestnikov could be more productive and, if it's addition by subtraction in the locker room, this is a big win. JT was my favorite player when he was on, but it was time to move him, and the return is right.

Good Post and thanks for being honest. I dont think anybody questions millers talent but its his mentality that seems to be holding him back. He needed a change of scenery. Im happy with the return. I think tampa fans and our fans are downplaying howden and hajek since they arent the sexy names but i think both might end up being better than the other guys

I second this! Time to move him was now, I agree. (McD too - who wants that next contract on their books? Not us, thankfully.)

Archived