• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan McDonagh, J.T. Miller Headed to the Lightning

ClearedForContact

Miller for Namestnikov is far more of a one for one swap than some are acknowledging. Miller and Namestnikov are the same age. They were drafted the same year. Namestnikov's path to the NHL has been longer because of center depth in Tampa. It's hard to crack a lineup when you look at the center depth the Lightning have had over the last few years. Wasn't really until this season that he's been used in a more offensive role. He's a far more well rounded player than Miller. He's maybe not as dynamic as Miller, but you're getting someone who's more than capable of doing well.

He's also now the team leader in goals and points.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed that it's kind of a 1-for-1, almost a hockey trade. TBL gets more explosive and NYR gets another two-way center.

I think that Miller was kind of a throw in though, even if he's close to a wash with Namestnikov.

I think getting Namestnikov back made the Rangers more willing to include Miller. I imagine Namestnikov's name was included before Miller's.

Granted, that's because he's been the Alexandre Burrows/Pascal Dupuis/Chris Kunitz/etc to Kucherov and Stamkos. I don't know if he's a 50+ point player without elite talent. 40 more so with good two-way play.

My point is, it's sad that the Rangers leading scorer has a point total in the 40s. I don't expect him to be a great scoring center but I see him as a better fit than JT simply because we had so many guys that play in a straight line and only do one thing.

Lotta people bringing negativity into something they know nothing about.

It's a weird time to be a fan but it's also an exciting time. Let's see who these kids are before we criticize them. Let's see what this team looks like after the draft, after July 1st, after training camp. Lots of unanswered questions. They're getting back players who are of playing age and hopefully drafting a kid who can jump right in. I don't think this is going to be as painful as the "sky is falling crew" is making it out to be.

It?s not negative. Everybody can read about them on the internet. If people here would post the full picture than it would be one thing. The guy has a lot of great qualities. Read them from the 20 other posts telling you that. Fact is the guys brother was a first round bust. It doesn?t matter to some others might want to know that, it?s a discussion. That?s what the board is for. I swear do people just post here to read what they wrote? I come here for knowledge and discussion. Ignoring the potential either way is foolish. I bring up his skating which is not my scouting report, it?s what?s out there. If his skating has improved good, nothing to worry about.

His brother never made it in the nhl. Now he?s apparently tearing up the khl. Also good info.

I really don?t understand the threads here if the only discussion to be had is with people who all have the same thing to say.

Is it not at least somewhat interesting that his brother was basically the same prospect and he busted? Is it to early to say the truth?

It?s not negative. Everybody can read about them on the internet. If people here would post the full picture than it would be one thing. The guy has a lot of great qualities. Read them from the 20 other posts telling you that. Fact is the guys brother was a first round bust. It doesn?t matter to some others might want to know that, it?s a discussion. That?s what the board is for. I swear do people just post here to read what they wrote? I come here for knowledge and discussion. Ignoring the potential either way is foolish. I bring up his skating which is not my scouting report, it?s what?s out there. If his skating has improved good, nothing to worry about.

His brother never made it in the nhl. Now he?s apparently tearing up the khl. Also good info.

I really don?t understand the threads here if the only discussion to be had is with people who all have the same thing to say.

Is it not at least somewhat interesting that his brother was basically the same prospect and he busted? Is it to early to say the truth?

there is a difference between pointing out valid points and just being negative. I mean whenever someone says anything slightly critical of jt miller you go bananas

there is a difference between pointing out valid points and just being negative. I mean whenever someone says anything slightly critical of jt miller you go bananas

What does Quinton Howden have to do with jt miller?

And no people referencing “private sources” about players without divulging who they are is ridiculous. The best writers and the professionals who cover the nhl don’t report anything close to what these “sources” claim. Saying that I’ve seen players out before and saying you never see a certain player hanging out means he’s a bad teammate. Never mentioning the guy is married and is away from his family half the year and maybe he doesn’t do the nightlife thing, who knows. I’m not saying you said any of this but that is what’s being posted and others are buying it as gospel. It may all be true but how about some proof, even a tweet from somebody who knows. Anything. So yes I will defend any player under those circumstances.

Again if there is proof to the narrative he’s a bad teammate and he’s a cancer then good. At least it will explain the situation. That’s not what anybody is reporting and mcd himself was thrilled J.T. was going with him. You would think he’d at least say nothing if he didn’t like him. Instead he volunteers a statement saying the opposite.

And no people referencing “private sources” about players without divulging who they are is ridiculous. The best writers and the professionals who cover the nhl don’t report anything close to what these “sources” claim. Saying that I’ve seen players out before and saying you never see a certain player hanging out means he’s a bad teammate. Never mentioning the guy is married and is away from his family half the year and maybe he doesn’t do the nightlife thing, who knows. I’m not saying you said any of this but that is what’s being posted and others are buying it as gospel. It may all be true but how about some proof, even a tweet from somebody who knows. Anything. So yes I will defend any player under those circumstances.

Again if there is proof to the narrative he’s a bad teammate and he’s a cancer then good. At least it will explain the situation. That’s not what anybody is reporting and mcd himself was thrilled J.T. was going with him. You would think he’d at least say nothing if he didn’t like him. Instead he volunteers a statement saying the opposite.

again there is no need to go through your whole miller defense...we get it he is innocent you miss him. Anyway back to howden you brining up his brother being a bust really has no bearing on his future. It seemed like a little

Jab. Also his skating isnt bad he just doesnt have bigtime speed

JT was one of the more frustrating players for me to watch this year. I love his grit & speed, but for every good play he will make either a stupid blind or cross-ice pass, or will take a dumb/lazy penalty or will do the little things wrong like not taking one more step to get to the center line before dumping the puck & causing an icing. And that's the frustrating part of watching him play. For all his talent, if he just took care of the little/easy things he'd be a complete player.

1. Left unsaid in the decision to trade Ryan McDonagh to Tampa Bay on Monday is management’s belief the Blueshirts were/are in need of a more inspirational and perhaps even confrontational personality as team captain.

No one would dare dispute McDonagh’s character, commitment, toughness or work ethic. The man played the final three games of the 2015 conference finals on a broken ankle, for goodness sakes. He was a lead-by-example guy since getting the “C” at the start of 2104-15.

But with Alain Vigneault, a coach who believes in leaving the locker room to his player leadership core, there was a sense that the club needed a captain who would get in his teammates’ faces when necessary and that McDonagh was not that kind of leader.

Had such a player emerged, the Rangers might have considered changing captains, as the Sharks did in going from Joe Thornton to Joe Pavelski; as the Kings did in moving from Dustin Brown to Anze Kopitar; as the Devils once did in going from Patrik Elias (after one year) to Jamie Langenbrunner and, before that, from Bruce Driver (after one season) to Scott Stevens; as the Islanders did in moving from Clark Gillies (after one year) to Denis Potvin in the offseason preceding their first Stanley Cup; and as the Blueshirts themselves did way back when, in going from Harry Howell to Red Sullivan. But no such alternative presented itself.

3. The Rangers had become convinced J.T. Miller’s coachability issues were not linked to Vigneault and they were concerned he had regressed in his work habits and off-ice preparation, according to individuals familiar with the inner dynamic.

As such, they were not going to grant Miller, an upcoming restricted free agent with arbitration rights, the long-term deal for between $5 million and $5.4 million per season that would have been required to keep him off the open market following next season. Had the parties gone to arbitration on a one-year deal, Miller likely would have been in the $4.5 million range during what would have been his walk season. That was the impetus behind the decision to include him in the deal with the Lightning.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/27/breaking-down-why-rangers-chose-to-move-mcdonagh-miller/

That would be really bogus if it was the leading reason management chose to deal McDonagh. If required, then strip him of the C and assign it to someone else. You don't just trade away a player of that caliber as it is extremely difficult to fill the void. No way he should pay the price just because AV is a softie coach and can't fire up his roster.

And no people referencing ?private sources? about players without divulging who they are is ridiculous. The best writers and the professionals who cover the nhl don?t report anything close to what these ?sources? claim. Saying that I?ve seen players out before and saying you never see a certain player hanging out means he?s a bad teammate. Never mentioning the guy is married and is away from his family half the year and maybe he doesn?t do the nightlife thing, who knows. I?m not saying you said any of this but that is what?s being posted and others are buying it as gospel. It may all be true but how about some proof, even a tweet from somebody who knows. Anything. So yes I will defend any player under those circumstances.

Again if there is proof to the narrative he?s a bad teammate and he?s a cancer then good. At least it will explain the situation. That?s not what anybody is reporting and mcd himself was thrilled J.T. was going with him. You would think he?d at least say nothing if he didn?t like him. Instead he volunteers a statement saying the opposite.

If you don?t want to believe things that are shared by some people here, that?s fine. I understand the who, what, where, and why of the whole thing. That?s certainly your choice. I, for one, have not lashed back at you, or claimed anything you wrote or felt was ?ridiculous?. I just ask for the same in return.

Fwiw, I knew Zuccarello had a stroke before he did, and I posted it here, like when he was on his way to the hospital. There?s 20+ people that?ll tell you I?m not lying. There?s been other stuff, but I thought that would be a solid example. Again, your choice on whether or not to believe who and what you want. I can?t say how or who, so I understand the reason of doubt.

I?m by no means lashing out at you. I made my point before and I tried to do it without offending. I bring up other points and get rided for a love affair with miller so I made the point again not meaning anything towards you. Sorry for that but I didn?t think my issue orginally posted was out of line or without merit

I?m sure your inside knowledge is great. However I mean this with zero disrespect, I have zero idea what your name is no less your source. It?s the internet. Honestly can?t tell you how many times people have made up shit on here alone let alone Twitter. Again I have no idea who you are let alone anyone else.

You know the rangers were very open with that ludicrous letter. Why if they are so open wouldn?t something be somewhere in some kind of report. I would imagine if you?re right we will hear it sooner rather than later.

You do realize you apparently have great influence here. I?m rather new to this site. When the trade was announced almost everyone here hated the deal and before the players we were getting was announced people were all saying that we better be getting sergachev with miller involved.

You make a post regarding miller in the locker room and to a man gave the reason for many to justify the trade. If you?re right it does justify it mostly. It?s just amazing how people at least those like myself who have no idea who you are can just trust that info as fact without any other source anywhere collaborating it. I?m just not wired that way. Hard to believe a username and a ghost. And in return nobody should take me all that serious either for the same reason.

I think the only thing that bothers me right now about the trade, other than the obvious of losing a career Ranger like McDonagh, is the fact that we would apparently settle for a conditional pick. Just lay down the law and say no, you are getting a top pairing defensemen....that has to be another first locked in. If not locked in outright, it could have been a more obtainable condition like what we did for the St. Louis (cond. 2nd, became first if reaching ECF).

Winning the Cup is hard to do, even with Tampa's roster. My money would still be on Pittsburgh beating them.

I’m by no means lashing out at you. I made my point before and I tried to do it without offending. I bring up other points and get rided for a love affair with miller so I made the point again not meaning anything towards you. Sorry for that but I didn’t think my issue orginally posted was out of line or without merit

I’m sure your inside knowledge is great. However I mean this with zero disrespect, I have zero idea what your name is no less your source. It’s the internet. Honestly can’t tell you how many times people have made up shit on here alone let alone Twitter. Again I have no idea who you are let alone anyone else.

You know the rangers were very open with that ludicrous letter. Why if they are so open wouldn’t something be somewhere in some kind of report. I would imagine if you’re right we will hear it sooner rather than later.

You do realize you apparently have great influence here. I’m rather new to this site. When the trade was announced almost everyone here hated the deal and before the players we were getting was announced people were all saying that we better be getting sergachev with miller involved.

You make a post regarding miller in the locker room and to a man gave the reason for many to justify the trade. If you’re right it does justify it mostly. It’s just amazing how people at least those like myself who have no idea who you are can just trust that info as fact without any other source anywhere collaborating it. I’m just not wired that way. Hard to believe a username and a ghost. And in return nobody should take me all that serious either for the same reason.

I understand. But sometimes you can figure out who is lying and who isn’t. It’s easier to just not believe anything, but being slightly open minded to some posters on here may give a better idea on certain topics. That’s why certain members post some info.

Also, I posted that about Miller 4 days before he was traded. I had also posted that Hayes and Vesey were not good locker room guys either. I never said Miller was a cancer. “Not goos locker room guys” could mean other things. I also said I didn’t pry for examples. I will state exactly what I was told, and will openly admit to not knowing every detail rather than making things up.

Archived