• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan McDonagh, J.T. Miller Headed to the Lightning

ClearedForContact

I'm reviewing the reactions to this trade from many commentators this morning. The opinion of one doesn't mean too much, but taken as a whole I think they do. Everyone is surprised that they would end up giving up McD without getting one of Tampa's two top rated prospects. Let's face it, when it first leaked out that there was a deal with Tampa, in the half hour or so before the return was disclosed, EVERYONE assumed we'd be getting one of their top two. This is what happens when you telegraph your blows.

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am thinking the Rangers simply did not want to pay Miller. Be it his attitude if that is even true or his play on the ice. He has a tendency to be extremely careless with the puck, even in the playoffs. Also his playoff performance in a half a seasons worth of games there was terrible.

I'm pretty sick of the Miller playoff goal stat. He's a pass-first player who played a bunch of games with 4th liners and played fewer than 12:00 in 7 games. He played almost half of his playoff games at age 21. What were we honestly expecting?

Yes, he should have scored more, but it's not indicative of what he can be in the playoffs.

I'm pretty sick of the Miller playoff goal stat. He's a pass-first player who played a bunch of games with 4th liners and played fewer than 12:00 in 7 games. He played almost half of his playoff games at age 21. What were we honestly expecting?

Yes, he should have scored more, but it's not indicative of what he can be in the playoffs.

well i agree about that but i just dont think he was ever any good in playoffs

I'm reviewing the reactions to this trade from many commentators this morning. The opinion of one doesn't mean too much, but taken as a whole I think they do. Everyone is surprised that they would end up giving up McD without getting one of Tampa's two top rated prospects. Let's face it, when it first leaked out that there was a deal with Tampa, in the half hour or so before the return was disclosed, EVERYONE assumed we'd be getting one of their top two. This is what happens when you telegraph your blows.

Except that Tampa already said that they WOULD NEVER EVER trade their their top 2 prospects even for karlsson

It's just an anecdote but it's pretty hilarious.

Except that Tampa already said that they WOULD NEVER EVER trade their their top 2 prospects even for karlsson

So what should our reaction to that be? "Oh, sorry we asked Mr.Yzerman, can we have some of your lesser prospects for our best skater" or "thank you for your time, we'll trade with someone else or not trade him at all"

I just don't like our history of "bargaining" with this guy. As has often been pointed out, how did Yzerman get as good of a deal from us in 2014 when MSL was demanding a trade and would only go to one team?

So what should our reaction to that be? "Oh, sorry we asked Mr.Yzerman, can we have some of your lesser prospects for our best skater" or "thank you for your time, we'll trade with someone else or not trade him at all"

I just don't like our history of "bargaining" with this guy. As has often been pointed out, how did Yzerman get as good of a deal from us in 2014 when MSL was demanding a trade and would only go to one team?

this was the best offer available otherwise gorton would have taken something else. Yes Yzerman is a crafty GM but this wasnt a fleece job at all. If Tampa doesnt win it will sting

I'm pretty much convinced that they were pushing Foote and Raddysh on us and we held out for Howden and Czech Dude.

Foote smells like Jared Cowan/Zach Boychuk/Brandon Gormley with name recognition to me. Anything short of world class skating is huge red flag in today's game.

I'm pretty much convinced that they were pushing Foote and Raddysh on us and we held out for Howden and Czech Dude.

Foote smells like Jared Cowan/Zach Boychuk/Brandon Gormley with name recognition to me. Anything short of world class skating is huge red flag in today's game.

I kind of feel like Gorton asked for Sergachev and Point, Yzerman countered with Foote and Raddysh. They met in the middle with Hajek and Howden.

Ranger fans are underestimating this return. Both are going to be good NHLers.

I did not mention his goal scoring stats at all. In fact, I focused on his carelessness with the puck. This includes not making smart and safe plays, especially when skating the puck up out of his own zone or through the neutral zone. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen him attempt a dipsy doodle around opponents at the wrong time, playoffs included. He is a rather irresponsible player with the puck.

I kind of feel like Gorton asked for Sergachev and Point, Yzerman countered with Foote and Raddysh. They met in the middle with Hajek and Howden.

agreed. Howden and hajek were already good prospects but their stock has been rising rapidly these past few months

The more I read about Hajek the more I fall in love. He's big, but compact, skates well, smaaaht.

I see him as Tyutin type at the low end. Which I like.

I did not mention his goal scoring stats at all. In fact, I focused on his carelessness with the puck. This includes not making smart and safe plays, especially when skating the puck up out of his own zone or through the neutral zone. I cannot tell you how many times I have seen him attempt a dipsy doodle around opponents at the wrong time, playoffs included. He is a rather irresponsible player with the puck.

Yea, sorry. I really was quoting you just because you were the last in line, but I thought thats what you meant by his playoff production.

He's irresponsible at times, but at least he tries to make plays. That's one of the things I like about him and I think what AV has coached out of him. He's no different than pretty much anyone else on the Rangers in that there are a lot of passes and plays that go nowhere. Nash and Grabner are....were... the only two who are consistently purposeful with the puck.

That doesn't bode well for Lindgren then, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Most commentators I've read this morning seem to think we did well. Certainly haven't come across anyone being surprised we didn't get their top prospects.

Depends where you look I suppose.

its pretty impossible to get another teams top prospects unless you are trading away a elite player in their prime. As much as i loved mcdonagh i wouldnt say he was elite even his best years. I guess you can say we traded duclair but i think sather was a bit blinded by trying to win it all and his admitted longtime hunt for yandle. However most teams wont do it. Im telling you fans are gonna love howden and hajek though

its pretty impossible to get another teams top prospects unless you are trading away a elite player in their prime. As much as i loved mcdonagh i wouldnt say he was elite even his best years. I guess you can say we traded duclair but i think sather was a bit blinded by trying to win it all and his admitted longtime hunt for yandle. However most teams wont do it. Im telling you fans are gonna love howden and hajek though

Yeah. If you look at all our business the returns have been good. I don't think we can complain at all tbh.

We've got loads of picks in a deep draft. Rykov, Howden, Hajek all excellent prospects by virtually all accounts. It's basically all down to what we do from here. This is what a rebuild feels like.

I like it.

Most commentators I've read this morning seem to think we did well. Certainly haven't come across anyone being surprised we didn't get their top prospects.

Depends where you look I suppose.

I think we did well, could we have done better? I just don't know.

I am pleased we got Howden and Hajek at least ... and as far as already NHL-capable, we also get Namestnikov, who I like.

Spooner who fills a need in production. Bu Matt Belesky looks like he's on the bubble, if not in trouble.

Nice to be looking forward to some quality prospects down the road:

Howden

Andersson

Chytil

Rykov

Hajek

Rob O’Gara

all kinda knocking on the door soon or relatively soon.

and first round picks #7 #26 and #31 who we have no idea about yet , aside from speculation at:

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Did I forget anyone?

Howden’s weakness is his skating so there is that. Both prospects in every single site and publication is projected as a 3rd line center and a 4-6 defenseman. That is only a projection but that’s what they are considered today. I think Howden is the safer bet but Hajek has a higher ceiling.

Howden’s weakness is his skating so there is that. Both prospects in every single site and publication is projected as a 3rd line center and a 4-6 defenseman. That is only a projection but that’s what they are considered today. I think Howden is the safer bet but Hajek has a higher ceiling.

his skating is good he just doesnt have top flight speed

His skating is why they don’t consider him a top 6 forward. That is the report I’ve read everywhere. It doesn’t mean anything. I just bringing into the conversation because it hasn’t yet been included in his description. I’ve only seen him in the wjc. I’ll be honest I really didn’t notice him to be special. He looked like a nhl player but nobody I was wowed by like middlestadt or Mcavoy or chabot two years ago. Again it doesn’t mean much. I remember watching Stepan at the wjc and thinking he was an ahler because he couldn’t skate. I was wrong on that one no doubt. If he turns into a Stepan type I will be thrilled. That all said it has to be noted that his perceived weakness in terms what’s stopping scouts of grading him higher is his skating. Take what you want from that.

Archived