• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Ryan McDonagh, J.T. Miller Headed to the Lightning

ClearedForContact

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll trust many of you on the prospect front, much better versed than I am... The draft is the real key here, 5 top 50 picks in a deep draft is a chance to really change fortunes... And thats assuming there are no pre-draft deals.

Gorton and the scouting guys better buckle in and knock this shit out of the park.

It seems like people are disappointed that we didn't get their top 2 prospects but like I mentioned most teams are very unwilling to trade their top prospects unless its for a elite player who is young. I like the kids we got. Tey may not be the hig upside prospects but they aren't underwhelming by any means. I like Howden a lot, lindgren is mor eof a tough defensemen but I think he is a nhl player, and the other two defensemen have a higher upside. Also like you said we have 5 picks that are gonna be in the top 50 in a good draft. Now some are already willing to deal all those for a chance at Dahlin but I really hope Gorton doesnt do that. We are in a better position than most teams even if we dont win the lottery

Drew, hoping Hajek turns out better than Foote and fits what we want more simply because of his skating. However, right now everyone, including Tampa (who knows best) think Foote is better. He is considered extremely reliable in his own end, great at positioning and very agile and athletic. He is the highest ranked Tampa prospect by all the services.

Eh screw that, hoping you're right.

Except it's reported that the Rangers wanted Hajek in the deal for it to work. Foote is liked for his potential but he's wavery. His skating is still a concern of mine and I think his offense is overvalued the same way Hajek's is. There's absolutely nothing about his offense that leads one to believe that it'll really carry over. If it's a battle of defense versus defense I take Hajek every day. All Foote has is size.

Drew, hoping Hajek turns out better than Foote and fits what we want more simply because of his skating. However, right now everyone, including Tampa (who knows best) think Foote is better. He is considered extremely reliable in his own end, great at positioning and very agile and athletic. He is the highest ranked Tampa prospect by all the services.

Eh screw that, hoping you're right.

Of course Tampa will say that. they will downplay all of those prospect they traded just to make themselves look good. Howden is extremely underrated as well.

I can't see how Tampa will be be able to resign McD after next year with all of their contracts. Doubt we'll see him again, but wouldn't it be ironic if we found ourselves improving and in need of a good veteran defenseman and having cap space. He may be taking two rings back to St. Paul, but the Wild has still got the forever Suter and Parise contracts as load-stones. There will be inertia towards the Wild thing at some point. I go to Wild games, and of all the local boys from the metro (Leddy, Lee, Wheeler, Okposo, Goligoski, Stepan, Skjei, Buchstad etc.) McD always has the most customized visitors jerseys and went to high school 2 miles from the rink.

If Cal Foote's name was Cal Smith nobody would want him. We don't even know what happened. They could have been pushing Foote on us for all we know.

Pretty much this. The Foote name carries a lot of weight. That's not to say Foote is bad. He's good, but not remotely as good as so many hype him up to be. He's a smart player but a bad skater. That doesn't translate so well.

I can't see how Tampa will be be able to resign McD after next year with all of their contracts. Doubt we'll see him again, but wouldn't it be ironic if we found ourselves improving and in need of a good veteran defenseman and having cap space. He may be taking two rings back to St. Paul, but the Wild has still got the forever Suter and Parise contracts as load-stones. There will be inertia towards the Wild thing at some point. I go to Wild games, and of all the local boys from the metro (Leddy, Lee, Wheeler, Okposo, Goligoski, Stepan, Skjei, Buchstad etc.) McD always has the most customized visitors jerseys and went to high school 2 miles from the rink.

It's tough. I thought I could just cut bait and forget about it.

Reflecting the past couple days has been hard. McD was a great Ranger and probably the 4th greatest D-man this Org has ever produced and employed.

A lot of great memories, and moving forward, you realize what a luxury it was to have a horse like McD who could truly do a little bit of everything out there and play the game any way you wanted to.

It's tough. I thought I could just cut bait and forget about it.

Reflecting the past couple days has been hard. McD was a great Ranger and probably the 4th greatest D-man this Org has ever produced and employed.

A lot of great memories, and moving forward, you realize what a luxury it was to have a horse like McD who could truly do a little bit of everything out there and play the game any way you wanted to.

Yeah he was a warrior. But something seemed to happen after that 2013-14 season when he was just a beast. he was still very good the next couple years but wasn't the same defensive machine he was in years past. I'm glad we didn't make the same mistake with Girardi and Staal

McDonagh, Miller traded to Lightning by Rangers

Namestnikov, two prospects, two draft picks go to New York

cut.jpg

Ryan McDonagh and J.T. Miller were traded to the Tampa Bay Lightning by the New York Rangers on Monday for Vladislav Namestnikov, prospects Libor Hajek and Brett Howden, a first-round pick in the 2018 NHL Draft and a conditional first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.

McDonagh is in the fifth season of a six-year contract and can become an unrestricted free agent after next season.

https://www.nhl.com/news/ryan-mcdonagh-jt-miller-traded-to-tampa-bay-lightning/c-296209422?tid=278542340

FIVE former NYR players are now starters for Tampa. Sad day for this fan to see yet another Capt. shipped out along with the versatile J.T.M.

I cant find the video of the bench sequence after, but Miller tried explaining why he threw the stick and Boyle basically laid into him like a dad to a son and told him to shut up.

You can’t throw a stick to a teammate, you can only pick it up and hand it to him or it’s a penalty. I’m sure you know that, but I’m way too lazy to go back and find the point of discussion. Then again, Miller didn’t know the rule, so who knows?

I cant believe some of you are upset over this deal, we needed to re-stock the cupboards and we did, plus we get 3 picks in the First round and possibly a fourth if TB wins the cup lol, this is a huge win for us. Howabout all them years with no first rounder? This makes up for lots of bad decisions in my opinion. Being a fan means feeling great when your team wins, and still supporting your team when they go thru shitty times as well, its all on the up and up now, better days are a coming fellas :)

My takeaway re: Namestnikov is that this was either:

1) A necessary swap (see; trade request/in-room issues that needed immediate sorting)

2) A show of the cards that yes, we're indeed in on, or looking to seriously consider, Kovalchuk.

There's no coincidence that we get an older, less cost protected player for any reason other than this. You could say this was to sweeten the pot re: prospects, but I think we would've gone deeper in that regard rather than take back Namestnikov.

I cant believe some of you are upset over this deal, we needed to re-stock the cupboards and we did, plus we get 3 picks in the First round and possibly a fourth if TB wins the cup lol, this is a huge win for us. Howabout all them years with no first rounder? This makes up for lots of bad decisions in my opinion. Being a fan means feeling great when your team wins, and still supporting your team when they go thru shitty times as well, its all on the up and up now, better days are a coming fellas :)

I'm happy with the deal. The problem is that some want to rip off every teamin a trade which is very hard to do...it was a fair trade. We were NEVER getting their two prized prospects(they aren't trading them for anybody outside of Matthews/macdavid). I think people are severely underrating BOTH hajek and howden. Also even if the 1st ends up being 31st that just meanswe get another first next year and we have Boston's first. Also if we end up top 5 in this draft(likely) we are golden whether we get dahlin or not

My takeaway re: Namestnikov is that this was either:

1) A necessary swap (see; trade request/in-room issues that needed immediate sorting)

2) A show of the cards that yes, we're indeed in on, or looking to seriously consider, Kovalchuk.

There's no coincidence that we get an older, less cost protected player for any reason other than this. You could say this was to sweeten the pot re: prospects, but I think we would've gone deeper in that regard rather than take back Namestnikov.

My first thought was that we wanted Namestnikov to help Buch, Rykov and Shesteryokin (and convince them to come over), but this could also be something they consider.

I just feel so bad for Namestnikov. Going from having a career year playing with two of the best players in the league on the best team in to league to be playing with Hayes and Vesey and hoping to lose.

From someone I know, he said Miller was an issue in the locker room, so that might be one of the reasons he was moved. They say his attitude changed last year and was becoming a big issue this year behind the scenes. The guy I know works with the team, so I can?t say who he is.

I mentioned this a few days ago in the trade thread. Heard Vesey and Hayes were no prizes in the room either.

McDonagh, Miller, Girardi, Callahan and Stallman....know who I?m rooting for this cup run. This one stings me some but get we need to rebuild. I just can?t believe Big Mac is gone and Shattenkirk is here...sucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived