• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hulking Adam Edstrom, Matt Rempe Having Big Rangers Effect

Phil

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Nobody ever wants to talk about the Rangers up here, now people are stopping me in the street to ask about Rempe. I'd say he's one of the top 5 most popular hockey players in the world the past 2 weeks. Really weird.

They should work harder to get this out of the game ASAP. Personally, I would like to see more Michigan attempts. 

I agree. The Rangers should definitely trade Miller for Zegras. This way we see more Michigan attempts  and less bull fighter attempts ('Ole!). 

Edited by The Dude
  • LMFAO 1

I think we'll have a big nothing sandwich here with Reaves and Rempe.  I doubt they even get on the ice much tonight. 

Guarantee the league has already told whoever is reffing the game to warn the benchs prior to this game.  

I honestly don't think Reaves cares about the hype. He doesn't seem to fight other people's battles.  He did absolutely nothing when he was here to step up and send a message to Tom Wilson.  If it didn't happen on his watch, he doesn't seem to care. I think he's more into being a mouthpiece off the ice than he is being the old school enforcer.

Can't blame him either.  Many wanted these players gone. He seemed to be trying to adapt to the new NHL. The fighters were all but extinct until recently. I haven't seen so much chatter about fighting In 25-30 years. 

If they manage to go. I think Rempe handles this old fart pretty well (doesn't get killed).  I could see Reaves trying to turn it into a wrestling match more so than going toe to toe, throwing bombs. 

"If you don't use your reach, it's useless. It's almost a hindrance," he said. "Being a tall guy too, I know how to protect myself, but still be able to do my job and inflict some damage."

Some have expressed concerns about Rempe's future health with the way he has taken punches in these fights. It turns out one of the NHL's most prolific fighters of the last 15 years shares those concerns.

"I've just been trying to give him a few tips on how to protect yourself a little bit and prolong your career," Scott said. "If he keeps doing what he's doing, he will have a short career. He'll get concussions and it'll just be hard for him to come back.""

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/39631880/new-york-rangers-matt-rempe-fights-hits-penalty-minutes#:~:text=NHL,to come back."

#

##

Almost sounds like he's not a great fighter right now and has a lot to learn about defending himself.

Could have sworn I heard that somewhere, but what do I know?

Press Conference Kermit GIF

Someone get Lidstrim or Pronger to reach out to Miller. Guy has sucked on defense for 4 years now. Maybe they can teach him the position. Apparently all time great Phil Housley isn't reaching him. 

Rempe fresh out of Jrs is getting shit for "not being good at fighting " after 6 NHL games, going 2 and 1 in his 3 fights. 2 wins against some pretty tough customers.

There's an obvious learning curve for fighting, just like anything else.  But let's shit on this 21 year old after six games and make excuses for players "still learning " in years 4 and 5 in the NHL.. 

Leonardo Dicaprio Laughing GIF

• LMFAO 1

6 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

No one is shitting on Rempe.  Just pointing out that absorbing punches with your face isn't a good strategy for career longevity.  

Exactly.

Posted that because the other day I said I was worried about him because he can't defend himself and somebody lost their shit, like I was making it up. It's something everybody's seeing.

I also said he was going to learn, and he was just 21. 

I don't understand why this is controversial or why people are whining about it. It's just a fact, he's not a good fighter. It doesn't mean he never will be, he's just not one today. 

I never saw so many people up in arms about a factually accurate statement and jumping to the defense of a player that everybody is rooting for.

They may want to argue just to argue. 

Edited by Pete

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

No one is shitting on Rempe.  Just pointing out that absorbing punches with your face isn't a good strategy for career longevity.  

I've seen comments about how he "isn't good at fighting" and others on how he didn't even do well in the A. 

https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/n32523

This shows a little different. He seemed to do just fine. Only real big big loss (not even that bad) was to Mcllrath, who is a monster and probably wipes the floor with all on comers. 

Some people just like to yap at people and ruin something others are enjoying. 

People 

"Hey Rempe is a spark plug and is doing pretty good in his fights so far. I love what hes brought to the team"

Debbie Downers (paraphrasing, lumping together and exaggerated for humor)

"Actually he is leaving himself open (like many other NHL fighters of the past) and might die one day. Also, he didn't even do good in the AHL (even though video proof and short library says otherwise)  Thus proving, he's not good at fighting. The tall guy with the most hockey fights in history (yet kinda low on the totem pole for best fighters) has offered him advice, so... I win. Nanny nanny poo poo. "

Kinda reads like shitting on a player when someone says a kid isn't good at something he's here to do and is making a name for himself around tge league. . Then topping it off with saying he couldn't even do the job in the AHL...

It's certainly not an endorsement. It's more of a "when this dies down (and it will), I'll have receipts for being right and I'm totally going to be there to tell everyone I told em so when he gets TKOed one day ."

Edited by The Dude

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I've seen comments about how he "isn't good at fighting" and others on how he didn't even do well in the A. 

https://www.hockeyfights.com/players/n32523

This shows a little different. He seemed to do just fine. Only real big big loss (not even that bad) was to Mcllrath, who is a monster and probably wipes the floor with all on comers. 

Some people just like to yap at people and ruin something others are enjoying. 

People 

"Hey Rempe is a spark plug and is doing pretty good in his fights so far. I love what hes brought to the team"

Debbie Downers (paraphrasing, lumping together and exaggerated for humor)

"Actually he is leaving himself open (like many other NHL fighters of the past) and might die one day. Also, he didn't even do good in the AHL (even though video proof and short library says otherwise)  Thus proving, he's not good at fighting. The tall guy with the most hockey fights in history (yet kinda low on the totem pole for best fighters) has offered him advice, so... I win. Nanny nanny poo poo. "

Kinda reads like shitting on a player when someone says a kid isn't good at something he's here to do and is making a name for himself around tge league. . Then topping it off with saying he couldn't even do the job in the AHL...

It's certainly not an endorsement. It's more of a "when this dies down (and it will), I'll have receipts for being right and I'm totally going to be there to tell everyone I told em so when he gets TKOed one day ."

Now let me paraphrase.

NHL fighters: he needs to learn how to defend himself.

Some people here: A lot of NHL fighters are saying he needs to defend himself, being good fighter means that you can defend yourself and be an aggressor at the same time.

You: HOW DARE YOU SHIT ON HIM! YOU WANT RECEIPTS FOR WHAT NHL PLAYERS SAID.

BLAH ARGEJE ABLAHAB.

Get a fucking hold of yourself. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

Now let me paraphrase.

NHL fighters: he needs to learn how to defend himself.

Some people here: A lot of NHL fighters are saying he needs to defend himself, being good fighter means that you can defend yourself and be an aggressor at the same time.

You: HOW DARE YOU SHIT ON HIM! YOU WANT RECEIPTS FOR WHAT NHL PLAYERS SAID.

BLAH ARGEJE ABLAHAB.

Get a fucking hold of yourself. 

Yeah no. Not even close to my reaction.

Reach much?

Point Reaching GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

38 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Reach much?

40 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Reach much?

Yeah Right Ok GIF by mi Posicionamiento Web

On 2/26/2024 at 8:22 AM, Blue Heaven said:

Love Rempe as much as the next guy but the dude needs to chill.  He doesn't need to accept every challenge.  If he does drop the gloves almost every game, he's going to get his bell rung a number of times and could very well turn into Michael Sauer.  

Rempe needs a coach to mentor him like a Colton Orr, to teach him the proper techniques of fighting.  Rempe leaves himself wide open b/c he just throws haymakers.  No way w/ the size of Rempe that a dude 6'1 (Olivier) should be able to clean his clock.  Use that reach, and keep him at bay.  The fight w/ Deslauriers as good as it was, Rempe could have f'd him up even more, Rempe could have used his left to give him some rabbit punches to the schnozz while he was holding him.  

🤔

I see he used my advice (or maybe John Scott's).

35 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

🤔

I see he used my advice (or maybe John Scott's).

Yeah. He thanked you after the game for your advice and everyone else's.  Said he'd never win a hockey fight without BSBH. 

A Christmas Story Lol GIF by filmeditor

Just busting chops. 

8 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

After the Rangers trade for a RW I rather see Rempe play than Edstrom.  I’m not really seeing much from Edstrom the last couple of games.  

Edstrom plays a quieter game but he’s been solid too. Can’t argue with that frickin size… it never hurts to have it.

• Like 1

Rempe is fast.  He might be the Ranger's fastest skater right now.  Was watching him last night and it's just amazing how much territory he covers with each stride.  The first step is normal and then he's moving fast.

1 hour ago, siddious said:

Edstrom plays a quieter game but he’s been solid too. Can’t argue with that frickin size… it never hurts to have it.

Edstrom doesn’t hit.  He doesn’t really go to the net.  If people are complaining about Kakko, Kreider and Zibanejad how the hell do they like this kid.  He does absolutely nothing.  He’s just tall. 

1 hour ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Edstrom doesn’t hit.  He doesn’t really go to the net.  If people are complaining about Kakko, Kreider and Zibanejad how the hell do they like this kid.  He does absolutely nothing.  He’s just tall. 

I disagree but I’ll watch him closer going forward if he’s still in the lineup

22 minutes ago, siddious said:

I disagree but I’ll watch him closer going forward if he’s still in the lineup

I could be wrong but I don’t remember him playing in any of the recent games.  Not 1 memorable thing.  Not a good pass, not a decent scoring opportunity, not a big hit, no defensive play, just height.  Granted he doesn’t get much playing time but he’s not doing anything with it either.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Br4d said:

Rempe is fast.  He might be the Ranger's fastest skater right now.  Was watching him last night and it's just amazing how much territory he covers with each stride.  The first step is normal and then he's moving fast.

Imagine what he could do with a little edge work.

2 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Agreed. 

-  he's only been around for 10 games scoring twice. Although his .2 goals per game is higher than Kakko's .175, so he does have that going for him I guess

- he helped replace 2 useless old farts who stunk from the roster

-he's very tall and cheap, he's also being completely overshadowed by the  Rempe show

- but I don't see how he doesn't become a spare part going into the playoffs after the trade deadline barring injuries

- future Black Ace, then see what next year brings if he isn't moved in a deal

- big TBD as far as what he may or maynot bring down the road for now imo

Edited by Scott
  • Applause 1