• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hulking Adam Edstrom, Matt Rempe Having Big Rangers Effect

Phil

Dude can take a shot too.  DeShlongerius hit him square on the nose and nothing.   

Which Bluebonnet gets it today ?  Mr. Gudbranson - your appointment is set for 6:11 PM.

Let's Go Rangers -   #11 cometh today ! 

28 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Kid should not have to prove it with his fists every night.  Reaves certainly did not have to do that.  Maybe one more but at some point reputation should take over.  

He's two games into his career. He will certainly have to build his reputation. You think a guy like him with two games under his belt doesn't have to prove it anymore? Come on man. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Rempe should just take down Trouba in the locker room.

That story gets out and nobody will want to drop gloves with him because if he was willing to take down his own Captain what is he going to do to them?

47 minutes ago, Pete said:

He's two games into his career. He will certainly have to build his reputation. You think a guy like him with two games under his belt doesn't have to prove it anymore? Come on man. 

There is a difference between having to prove it every time out and never having to prove it again.  I understand he is just three games into his career.  All I am saying is that the needle has to start moving from the former towards the latter at some point as much as this fan base might enjoy the show and as much as we have been without a true enforcer since maybe as long ago as Joey Kocur

1 hour ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Kid should not have to prove it with his fists every night.  Reaves certainly did not have to do that.  Maybe one more but at some point reputation should take over.  

There were a few guys up here that liked having an "enforccer" on a team.  I'm one of them.  I always feel a little better when there's a big dog in our front yard.  That's just me.  Has the game passed that by?  Yeah, I'll admit to that!

This kid isn't really an enforcer though.  He's being treated as such, but he can play the game and has some pretty good skating ability.  Edstrom too!

The thing is, I watched Tie Domi when the Rangers brought him up;  He fought every-fucking-body in the world and ate it up!  He made his mark for a couple of seasons before guys started honoring the fact that if you fuck with him, you're gonna have a war on your hands!

Rempe is gonna get tested for a spell here.  Granted I actually think he's tougher than Tie ever was, and he's fucking huge, with a really LONG reach.  Guys are gonna get fucked up testing him, and after a while this should cool down.  But make no mistake, this kid is gonna eat this up, and I hope he becomes a rockstar here!

What a story!! 

When I saw that puck go in, and saw the #73 in front of the net, I swear I think I peed a little!

Edited by Ozzy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

There were a few guys up here that liked having an "enforccer" on a team.  I'm one of them.  I always feel a little better when there's a big dog in our front yard.  That's just me.  Has the game passed that by?  Yeah, I'll admit to that!

This kid isn't really an enforcer though.  He's being treated as such, but he can play the game and has some pretty good skating ability.  Edstrom too!

The thing is, I watched Tie Domi when the Rangers brought him up;  He fought every-fucking-body in the world and ate it up!  He made his mark for a couple of seasons before guys started honoring the fact that if you fuck with him, you're gonna have a war on your hands!

Rempe is gonna get tested for a spell here.  Granted I actually think he's tougher than Tie ever was, and he's fucking huge, with a really LONG reach.  Guys are gonna get fucked up testing him, and after a while this should cool down.  But make no mistake, this kid is gonna eat this up, and I hope he becomes a rockstar here!

What a story!! 

When I saw that puck go in, and saw the #73 in front of the net, I swear I think I peed a little!

LOL at the whole pee thing.

Hey look I love the fact that he can also skate.  Maybe he will become our version Tom Wilson but maybe without the whole being a giant douchebag part.

There is little doubt that having a physical presence on the team actually seems to make the whole team play bigger somehow.  This is money in the bank come playoff time where more physicality is required across the board.

As I have said here before the two of them are passing the "first do no harm" test of not being a liability on the ice.  As long that they can both continue to do that then anything else (big hits, highlight reel fights or even points) is a bit of a bonus.

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

47 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

There is a difference between having to prove it every time out and never having to prove it again.  I understand he is just three games into his career.  All I am saying is that the needle has to start moving from the former towards the latter at some point as much as this fan base might enjoy the show and as much as we have been without a true enforcer since maybe as long ago as Joey Kocur

I think the thing you might be forgetting is that he's a willing participant. He's loving every minute of this. I don't think he sees himself as a target, I think he sees himself as a celebrity. All these old guys who won't even fight each other anymore want to fight him. Then then he destroys them. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Everyone should slow down on both of them.

I like what they bring too.

And they’ve earned some right to a chance.

Lavy should also continue to ride it.

Except he has barely played them.

Because it also remains to be seen if they can actually PLAY every night. 

At this point Rempe averages more PIM than TOI.

So maybe relax.

Its more likely right now that those two are a gimmick.

Perhaps they are more. And there are things present that say maybe they can be. 

But that’s undecided.

Still need to look for an upgrade.

• Applause 2

2 hours ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

If you mean that you think he should be given a chance to be more than just a goon who get 5 minutes of icetime.  I agree.

The massive hits and great fights are awesome. Don't get me wrong. But if that's all he is? This can't and won't last.  A 5 minutes a game player isn't something the team will be able to use come playoff time. 

I know very little about this kid. I've seen good skating and an ability to plant himself in the crease. I'd like to concentrate on that rather than clamoring that we have Ryan Hollweg on the team.  You can't use Ryan Hollweg in the playoffs. 

There's more to Rempe than the fighting.  No? 

It's a great story and I  hope he's continues to be a physical force. I just hope he can play hockey. He'd be a great asset in the playoffs if he can. 

If he can't,  I don't think it's wise to hitch the wagon to this long term.  It would be a detriment in the playoffs. The whistles don't get put away in the post season. 

Last season against the Devils is a perfect example. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/2023-new-jersey-devils-vs-new-york-rangers-eastern-first-round.html

Goodrow- 29 PIM

Fox- 16

Trocheck- 14

Mikkola- 12

Motte-12

Vesey-10

Schneider-9

The Devils felt it too. 

Yes. The refs got out of hand in the one game handing out misconducts. But.. . The refs got out of hand, handing out misconducts.

It happens. They will dictate the game and won't let it get overly physical. 

Gotta play the game. I hope Rempe can do more than just fight. I think he can.  I doubt Drury would draft such a player,  and fast track him to the NHL. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

What a story!! 

Agree with everything but the tougher than Domi comment. 

Domi took on the best there ever was and won one, then lost one (Probert). 

His utter size and reach reminds me alot of Eric Cairns.

At this stage the remaining tough guys (there aren't many) are all going to want some.  It's really cool to see. But this model won't last if the kid can't play hockey. I hope he can. So far, so good. 

25 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Everyone should slow down on both of them.

I like what they bring too.

And they’ve earned some right to a chance.

Lavy should also continue to ride it.

Except he has barely played them.

Because it also remains to be seen if they can actually PLAY every night. 

At this point Rempe averages more PIM than TOI.

So maybe relax.

Its more likely right now that those two are a gimmick.

Perhaps they are more. And there are things present that say maybe they can be. 

But that’s undecided.

Still need to look for an upgrade.

There is no way, imo, the Rangers roll into the playoffs with 5 rookies on the roster. 

Brodzinski (for all intents and purposes)

Cuylle

Jones

Edstrom

Rempe

I just don't see it happening. They are definitely looking to shore up the wing and center position. 

• Keeps it 100 1

Jones doesn't count.  He only gets play when somebody else is out.

The other 4 could easily be on the roster for the playoffs.  Laviolette is going to shorten the roster then some anyway.  Playing the Kidz 7 minutes a game isn't going to kill the Rangers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Jones doesn't count.  He only gets play when somebody else is out.

The other 4 could easily be on the roster for the playoffs.  Laviolette is going to shorten the roster then some anyway.  Playing the Kidz 7 minutes a game isn't going to kill the Rangers.

Of course he counts. Do you think they're going to go through the playoffs completely healthy? And do you think they're comfortable replacing a roster player with a rookie? I certainly don't. I think you'll see Connor Mackey come up and I think you'll see them trade for forwards at the deadline. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

There is no way, imo, the Rangers roll into the playoffs with 5 rookies on the roster. 

Brodzinski (for all intents and purposes)

Cuylle

Jones

Edstrom

Rempe

I just don't see it happening. They are definitely looking to shore up the wing and center position. 

And that’s exactly what I’m saying. 

Don’t get too high on these guys yet.

But it’s also possible there’s a quality, bottom-6 hockey player there.

Let’s see. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Of course he counts. Do you think they're going to go through the playoffs completely healthy? And do you think they're comfortable replacing a roster player with a rookie? I certainly don't. I think you'll see Connor Mackey come up and I think you'll see them trade for forwards at the deadline. 

Because trading for veteran forwards worked so well last season?

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

18 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Because trading for veteran forwards worked so well last season?

Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results...

That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about rookies in the playoffs. You said Jones doesn't count. He counts.

I don't know why you're bringing up other shit for. They're definitely making trades. You might as well get used to it. You can never have too much depth. They're one injury away from Belzile and Riley Nash. 

Edited by Pete
  • Applause 1

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

That's not what we're talking about. We're talking about rookies in the playoffs. You said Jones doesn't count. He counts.

I don't know why you're bringing up other shit for. They're definitely making trades. You might as well get used to it. You can never have too much depth. They're one injury away from Belzile and Riley Nash. 

Yeah they can’t let this be the case either, for obvious reasons. The play of the rookies might impact the quality of the guys they bring in though. Perhaps they have confidence in those guys, and instead of a Henrique they go get a Wennberg or Dowd. Or instead of a Vatrano they get a Zucker. Cheaper options. You can justify playing a hot rookie over those guys who cost a 3rd or 4th if they earn it and can handle it. You pay a 1st for a guy and he’s getting jammed into the lineup no matter what.

Edited by BrooksBurner

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah they can’t let this be the case either, for obvious reasons. The play of the rookies might impact the quality of the guys they bring in though. Perhaps they have confidence in those guys, and instead of a Henrique they go get a Wennberg or Dowd. Or instead of a Vatrano they get a Zucker. Cheaper options. You can justify playing a hot rookie over those guys who cost a 3rd or 4th if they earn it and can handle it. You pay a 1st for a guy and he’s getting jammed into the lineup no matter what.

If They want to play in the middle of the ice, they'll get Tarasenko and then Wennberg is just the utility forward who can slot in at any forward position. 

• Like 1

Another game, another goal with simple and effective hockey. These two guys have me believing in them, at some point in every persons career you have the “why not me” moment and I really can’t think of a reason if they’re going to keep playing big boy straight ahead hockey. The last time our fourth line looked this good was a few years ago when Rooney was scoring double digits. Before that? When a guy named Brian Boyle was here