• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hulking Adam Edstrom, Matt Rempe Having Big Rangers Effect

Phil

This wasn’t a trade in the conventional sense, but when the Rangers exchanged Nick Bonino and Tyler Pitlick for Adam Edstrom and Matt Rempe with internal organizational moves, the dynamic shifted just as surely as if the club had gone out onto the market to import a missing piece or two.

For the promotions of the 23-year-old, 6-foot-7 Edstrom and the 21-year-old 6-8 ¹/₂ Rempe represented a clear indication that the hierarchy believed the Blueshirts were in need of added size, strength, physicality and attitude.

“Definitely. You watch those two play, they’re going all out, they’re playing simple and they’re playing hard,” Braden Schneider told The Post. “I definitely think that when you see Remps go out there on his first shift and blows someone up, it gets you going and makes everyone on the bench excited.

“Obviously you don’t want to see anyone get hurt, but he’s bringing his all and I think it definitely trickles down and makes you want to up your game and bring that intensity and physicality to it.”

And if franchise history is littered with examples of the Rangers rushing prospects, here are two examples of the organization nurturing and molding youngsters who might have been on the periphery of the prospect pool and discarded.

Over the short term, the kids have made an impact. They get the puck in deep. They tend to run into anything that moves. There’s a kind of chaos created when they’re out there even if ice time is precious with head coach Peter Laviolette relying ever increasingly on his marquee athletes to get the team across the finish line.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/22/sports/hulking-adam-edstrom-matt-rempe-having-big-rangers-effect/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=nypost_sitebuttons

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

Its been obvious to anyone that has watched the Rangers this year.  I just hope Drury doesn't ruin things trying to be GM of the year and lets this team play this way the rest of the season and in the playoffs.  Chemistry can beat just talent and this team has good chemistry right now and it doesn't need to be fucked with.   Keep Jonny at 3C and keep all our draft picks and prospects, and keep the Hansen Line together.  Screw the trade deadline.  They are showing what they can do, so put it on THEM to do this in the playoffs.  No excuses, no what if's.....let em play.  

• Keeps it 100 1

The key is they can both skate. usually the big fellas are slow. Not those two. Physical intimidation only matters if the big guy can catch you and, well, they are two very big and very fast guys. Not fun to play against.

If you look around the team generally, actually, we have to be on the extreme end of size around the NHL. Like Mika and Kreider both play soft but let's not forget that those two are huge. Cuylle and Kakko on the third line are both very big and strong boys, and then these two, well.

It's easy to forget that lafreniere is also fairly large and does not play soft. 

Edited by Valriera
  • Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Valriera said:

The key is they can both skate. usually the big fellas are slow. Not those two. Physical intimidation only matters if the big guy can catch you and, well, they are two very big and very fast guys. Not fun to play against.

If you look around the team generally, actually, we have to be on the extreme end of size around the NHL. Like Mika and Kreider both play soft but let's not forget that those two are huge. Cuylle and Kakko on the third line are both very big and strong boys, and then these two, well.

Team of giants. I like it. 

• Like 1

I'm still trying to figure out how Rempe, sort to peeling off and not hitting Bastian, can use his body in that position. He' s a giant and unless the other player is perfectly vertical, its going to be hard to not make head contact. I'm not trying to litigate the call, but more understand how he needs to play? 

10 hours ago, delneggs said:

Its been obvious to anyone that has watched the Rangers this year.  I just hope Drury doesn't ruin things trying to be GM of the year and lets this team play this way the rest of the season and in the playoffs.  Chemistry can beat just talent and this team has good chemistry right now and it doesn't need to be fucked with.   Keep Jonny at 3C and keep all our draft picks and prospects, and keep the Hansen Line together.  Screw the trade deadline.  They are showing what they can do, so put it on THEM to do this in the playoffs.  No excuses, no what if's.....let em play.  

Could not agree with you more dude!! 
excellent points throughout! 

LGR!!!

RANGER ED 

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1

Glad to see this post.  I watched the hit on Nathan Bastian multiple times.  It was a great clean hit by a big man going to play the puck against a guy with his head down.  Then he defended himself perfectly.  This is exactly what this Rangers team needs, and more of it!  Other teams run into Igor without punity, they run at Adam Fox without punity.  The Rangers need to get control of this problem as a team because the Refs are not calling the penalties properly.  The best example of blown fighting calls was the penalty Trouba received for fighting after Bastian horse-colored him, spun him around and started punching him.  What exactly was Trouba supposed to do in that situation?  Why wasn't Bastain ejected?  This is an age-old problem in NHL hockey.  The league doesn't want gratuitous fighting, the Refs (2 now and 2 linesmen with the ability to review the play), however continue to ignore the rules and try to make everything "fair."  

When your star goalie has to pop-up after a save and slug someone that plowed into him after the save your team has a problem.  The opponents know the Rangers aren't going to do anything so they continue to run into Igor game after game.  That particular play reminded me of the interview I saw years ago with a Flyer from their 1974 team who said the Flyers knew they were going to beat the Rangers after Dave Shultz pummeled Dale Rolfe and none of the Rangers stepped in to help Rolfe or to defend him, instead they stood and watched.

The game may have changed (a little) but the players haven't.  If the Refs aren't going to make the calls and your team is getting physically run over game after game then it is up to the players and the team to step in and protect and defend themselves.  The Rangers need players who are physically able and capable of doing just that game after game until the word gets around that you don't plow Igor and you don't run at Fox.

Edited by Steve
fixed "horse-collar" and missed a word at the end
  • Like 2
  • Applause 1

I like Rempe and what he brings to the team. My wife loves him more than any athlete not named Lundqvist or Kelce.  But I can’t see him playing in the playoffs unless it’s because of injuries.  Brodzinski and Edstrom is risky enough going into the playoffs.  

• Bullseye 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I like Rempe and what he brings to the team. My wife loves him more than any athlete not named Lundqvist or Kelce.  But I can’t see him playing in the playoffs unless it’s because of injuries.  Brodzinski and Edstrom is risky enough going into the playoffs.  

The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

2 hours ago, Steve said:

Glad to see this post.  I watched the hit on Nathan Bastian multiple times.  It was a great clean hit by a big man going to play the puck against a guy with his head down.  Then he defended himself perfectly.  This is exactly what this Rangers team needs, and more of it!  Other teams run into Igor without punity, they run at Adam Fox without punity.  The Rangers need to get control of this problem as a team because the Refs are not calling the penalties properly.  The best example of blown fighting calls was the penalty Trouba received for fighting after Bastian horse-colored him, spun him around and started punching him.  What exactly was Trouba supposed to do in that situation?  Why wasn't Bastain ejected?  This is an age-old problem in NHL hockey.  The league doesn't want gratuitous fighting, the Refs (2 now and 2 linesmen with the ability to review the play), however continue to ignore the rules and try to make everything "fair."  

When your star goalie has to pop-up after a save and slug someone that plowed into him after the save your team has a problem.  The opponents know the Rangers aren't going to do anything so they continue to run into Igor game after game.  That particular play reminded me of the interview I saw years ago with a Flyer from their 1974 team who said the Flyers knew they were going to beat the Rangers after Dave Shultz pummeled Dale Rolfe and none of the Rangers stepped in to help Rolfe or to defend him, instead they stood and watched.

The game may have changed (a little) but the players haven't.  If the Refs aren't going to make the calls and your team is getting physically run over game after game then it is up to the players and the team to step in and protect and defend themselves.  The Rangers need players who are physically able and capable of doing just that game after game until the word gets around that you don't plow Igor and you don't run at Fox.

Agree with some of this RE: Igor but not Fox. Nobody ran him.

Firstly it was Sebastian Aho, secondly hit was kinda in a grey area. Rempe isn't going to do anything. It's Aho. 

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

The rotation gets shortened some in the playoffs and Laviolette is already showing signs of shortening with the Panarin double shifts.

I would expect Rempe and Edstrom both to be on the bench for the playoffs at this point.  It would give Laviolette options he does not have in their absence.

Obviously any significant deadline deal lowers the chances that the kidz get to play however that's a strong argument against making any deadline deal.

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

I'm not sure what the risk is with Brodzinski.  He is not a flashy player, or overly physical, I will give you that, but the kid hustles every shift, backchecks his ass off, is reliable defensively, wins 53% of his faceoffs and is chipping in about 0.40 points per game.  Plus, this is the best Kakko has looked all year skating on his right wing.  He's doesn't have the talent of a Chytil, but he has been a solid 3C since he got the job.  Cuylee/Brodzinki/Kakko line has been good almost every game and I think they are possessing the puck well and out chancing other teams consistently, so I see no risk at all with keeping them together.  

• Like 1
  • TroCheckmark 1