• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hulking Adam Edstrom, Matt Rempe Having Big Rangers Effect

Phil

14 minutes ago, Valriera said:

These guys were excellent again tonight

I know the rest of the game wasn't indicative of it...but....Columbus is also trash regardless if they have our number or not. However, if we can ice a better fourth line than most, we will always win those matchups. Rempe slotted up a little and tbh, he didn't look bad.

They’re just really efficient. I wouldn’t call them fast but they play like rangey defenseman play. Efficient use of long stride and reach will beat fast players all the time. They dump it, they go in, if they make a turnover they go to the net, all in a straight line since nobody can stop them. TBH I’ve been more impressed with the on ice play than I thought I’d be. The fighting is fun, but doesn’t do much aside from pump ppl up. But these guys have, what, six points in seven games? For their role that’s tops in the league. It’s definitely some lightning in a bottle but they also play the game the right way when they’re on the ice. I don’t think I can chalk it all up to coincidence based on their play. 

I saw some narrative after those few fights from Rempe that he was just a goon, but it's just ignorance from people who don't even know him or really have seen him play. The typical goon type roles from yesteryear are dead. You need to play, and he can play hockey. I think with him, there was just some opening week jitters and excitement, so he went nuts. If he continues to fight more, then word will get around that it might not be a great idea to do so. When Reaves played here, there were complaints that he wasn't fighting at all anymore. That wasn't because he didn't really want to, it's that no one really wants to go with him anymore. He was very established in that category.

39 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I saw some narrative after those few fights from Rempe that he was just a goon, but it's just ignorance from people who don't even know him or really have seen him play. The typical goon type roles from yesteryear are dead. You need to play, and he can play hockey. I think with him, there was just some opening week jitters and excitement, so he went nuts. If he continues to fight more, then word will get around that it might not be a great idea to do so. When Reaves played here, there were complaints that he wasn't fighting at all anymore. That wasn't because he didn't really want to, it's that no one really wants to go with him anymore. He was very established in that category.

I think if it was just the fights, folks would have chalked it up for what it was. I think it was the Bastian hit that got people thinking he's just out there to hurt people. 

11 hours ago, Br4d said:

Rempe and Edstrom are deceptively fast because of their size.  They don't look like they're going so fast but the stride is enormous.

No , they're both fast....believe me.  Edstrom is the faster of the two, but that stride is HUGE!  They look like giraffes in person.  They tower over everyone, and it's actually comical when you look down the bench! 

You see all the players, and then 2 radio towers in the middle!!!   LOL

• LMFAO 1

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

No , they're both fast....believe me.  Edstrom is the faster of the two, but that stride is HUGE!  They look like giraffes in person.  They tower over everyone, and it's actually comical when you look down the bench! 

You see all the players, and then 2 radio towers in the middle!!!   LOL

Just imagine these guys folding into the player base over the next 4 or 5 seasons.  This would be a unique add to the Ranger's chances at a Stanley Cup.

• Keeps it 100 1

1 hour ago, Br4d said:

Just imagine these guys folding into the player base over the next 4 or 5 seasons.  This would be a unique add to the Ranger's chances at a Stanley Cup.

A couple more training camps and some weight room guidance does a body good!  They have the talent...

• Like 1

I doubt Reaver is going to let this kid come into his house and make noise.  They're going at it tomorrow...I'd be really surprised if they didn't.

Edited by Ozzy

It would be a bad look for Rempe to beat up an old man and worse for Reaves to beat on a kid.

This is one fight that does not need to happen unless there's a natural cause.

4 minutes ago, Br4d said:

It would be a bad look for Rempe to beat up an old man and worse for Reaves to beat on a kid.

This is one fight that does not need to happen unless there's a natural cause.

You make it sound like Reavo walks around with a cane.

(you know I’m a hockey guy when I spelled it “Kane” then corrected myself 🤣)

• VINNY! 1

The Devils have acquired somebody who can almost see over Edstrom and Rempe.

Will help them a lot when the Rangers make the obvious move and put Panarin on the wing with the big guys and let him skate all serpentine around them before shooting the puck.

Nobody ever wants to talk about the Rangers up here, now people are stopping me in the street to ask about Rempe. I'd say he's one of the top 5 most popular hockey players in the world the past 2 weeks. Really weird.

They should work harder to get this out of the game ASAP. Personally, I would like to see more Michigan attempts. 

14 hours ago, siddious said:

Love Rempe and his body of work thus far. If we think Olivier was bad....Reavo will put him down like a lame puppy on strength alone. Not a good idea.

On 2/28/2024 at 11:17 PM, siddious said:

They look like awkward chickens but they fly lol

The boom of the boards when the check the defensemen into the boards is sure proof of that

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Love Rempe and his body of work thus far. If we think Olivier was bad....Reavo will put him down like a lame puppy on strength alone. Not a good idea.

Reaves really didn't look for fights when he was w the Rangers. I don't think by any stretch he'd walk away if challenged but......I don't think these two drop them in this game

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dem said:

Reaves really didn't look for fights when he was w the Rangers. I don't think by any stretch he'd walk away if challenged but......I don't think these two drop them in this game

I sure hope not. Idk if Reavo didn't fight because people didn't want to fight him or in his older, wiser age, he wasn't seeking it out. Either way, I hope Rempe deflects another puck in the net and doesn't have to shed his mitts in this one.

• Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, Pete said:

Reavo will look for a fight because he's desperate to stay in the NHL and he's otherwise irrelevant. 

I see that point of view but I thought the same thing when the Rangers signed him but he did it really sparingly. I haven't followed his career since then so you could be right. Hope not

Edited by Dem