• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hulking Adam Edstrom, Matt Rempe Having Big Rangers Effect

Phil

Rempe and Edstrom should keep playing a physical, north/south game like they have.  Rempe has been looking to make a reputation for himself but maybe he should play hockey first and fight when and if he needs to instead of looking for fights at the drop of a puck.  I get why he has been doing it but he should focus on playing hockey first.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

It would be beyond stupid for him to fight Olivier again.

Life is about learning. He asked Olivier for the fight. There should be a mutual respect going into tomorrow where that isn't revisited.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

There's no reason to fight Olivier again unless a reason gets created in the game (like a dirty play/hit). But that same first shift agreed-upon fight shit... hard pass.

were you at the Cheesecake Factory?  honestly!

16 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

Olivier kicked his ass, so maybe get revenge?

If you asked to go, and got your ass handed to you by a guy 6" shorter and 20 pounds lighter, it would be beyond stupid to fight him again 4 days later.

4 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Keep cheering and egging on Rempe.  25 years from now, when he is in obsurity and broken from CTE, you won't have to confront it.

This is such an insane jump to made up conclusions. 

god forbid we get excited when a prospect comes up with an edge. Or that people who watch hockey enjoy fighting. 

I wouldn't worry too much about Rempe, fellas.  I'm pretty sure he knows he has some work to do to improve on what his "role" is going to be here.

There hasn't been this much excitement around a player like him in the league for a long time....and I'm looking at all these 4th line "skill players" that think they're gonna take advantage of teams that have a weak bottom 6.

The Rempe factor will kick them in the teeth over the next several years.  This kid is for real, and he can dish it out in a big way. 

These players know the risks, and they're fine with it.  I'll push my chips in the middle of the table on a kid like this, whose work ethic is burying the needle. 

• Believe 1

20 minutes ago, siddious said:

This is such an insane jump to made up conclusions. 

god forbid we get excited when a prospect comes up with an edge. Or that people who watch hockey enjoy fighting. 

I mean, that guy also speculates Mika has CTE because he shoots from further out...so...yea. Everyone is a neurologist these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

I mean, that guy also speculates Mika has CTE because he shoots from further out...so...yea. Everyone is a neurologist these days.

No Pete, I didn't speculate that Mika has CTE.  I said nothing about shooting from further out.  I said it was possible that beyond the fact that he is getting older, the lack of intensity that I see in his play compared to a few years ago might be related to his history of concussions.  Having some residual minor symptoms does not equate to CTE.

Interesting study.  Enforcers were found to die on average 10 years earlier than other NHL players.

https://www.publichealthpost.org/research/fighting-hockeys-deadly-toll/

Derek Boogaard; Reggie Flemming; Steve Montador; Larry Zeidel; Rick Rypien; Bob Probert; Wade Belak; Tod Even etc.  Enforcers dead before their times with CTE.  And we don't even have the formal diagnosis for so many who are still alive but suffer from headaches, emotional difficulties and substance abuse, like Chris Nilan, who we all cheered on in day.

26 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

No Pete, I didn't speculate that Mika has CTE.  I said nothing about shooting from further out.  I said it was possible that beyond the fact that he is getting older, the lack of intensity that I see in his play compared to a few years ago might be related to his history of concussions.  Having some residual minor symptoms does not equate to CTE.

Interesting study.  Enforcers were found to die on average 10 years earlier than other NHL players.

https://www.publichealthpost.org/research/fighting-hockeys-deadly-toll/

Derek Boogaard; Reggie Flemming; Steve Montador; Larry Zeidel; Rick Rypien; Bob Probert; Wade Belak; Tod Even etc.  Enforcers dead before their times with CTE.  And we don't even have the formal diagnosis for so many who are still alive but suffer from headaches, emotional difficulties and substance abuse, like Chris Nilan, who we all cheered on in day.

You obviously missed the sarcasm. Point being, you're not a neurologist. 

27 minutes ago, Pete said:

You obviously missed the sarcasm. Point being, you're not a neurologist. 

Fair enough, but in preparing for a deposition Bob Cantu, the world's foremost authority on CTE, and other related work, I acquired a lot more knowledge on the subject than might be possessed by the average hockey fan collecting fight videos.

https://concussionfoundation.org/about/staff/robert-cantu

When the CTE suit was settled, my close friend and law partner drove up to a hard scrabble Canadian town to find a frequently concussed player who is not coping well, as it was the only way to assure that he would get his check.  He asked around on the street for a day before finally finding him in a dark single room in an SRO.  Kinda put a damper on my cheering when guys are slugging each other in the head with bare knuckes.

I understand that Rempe will not be fighting as often after he goes through the league once, but it may not take as much as you might think to do the damage.  I hope he plays with an edge, creates space, and rarely, if ever, fights.

40 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

Fair enough, but in preparing for a deposition Bob Cantu, the world's foremost authority on CTE, and other related work, I acquired a lot more knowledge on the subject than might be possessed by the average hockey fan collecting fight videos.

When the CTE suit was settled, my close friend and law partner drove up to a hard scrabble Canadian town to find a frequently concussed player who is not coping well, as it was the only way to assure that he would get his check.  He asked around on the street for a day before finally finding him in a dark single room in an SRO.  Kinda put a damper on my cheering when guys are slugging each other in the head with bare knuckes.

I understand that Rempe will not be fighting as often after he goes through the league once, but it may not take as much as you might think to do the damage.  I hope he plays with an edge, creates space, and rarely, if ever, fights.

I totally get it. I don't think he should be fighting every game either. He obviously needs to learn to defend himself if he does fight. It's part of the game until it isn't. 

1 hour ago, Sod16 said:

I think the worst is out of the game. The role of the enforcer is essentially extinct. No one wants staged fights and they rarely if ever happen. 

kid has come in and made a name For himself. No way this pace continues. no one wants concussion issues. 

with that said…

spacer.png

• Like 1