• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Hulking Adam Edstrom, Matt Rempe Having Big Rangers Effect

Phil

Love Rempe as much as the next guy but the dude needs to chill.  He doesn't need to accept every challenge.  If he does drop the gloves almost every game, he's going to get his bell rung a number of times and could very well turn into Michael Sauer.  

Rempe needs a coach to mentor him like a Colton Orr, to teach him the proper techniques of fighting.  Rempe leaves himself wide open b/c he just throws haymakers.  No way w/ the size of Rempe that a dude 6'1 (Olivier) should be able to clean his clock.  Use that reach, and keep him at bay.  The fight w/ Deslauriers as good as it was, Rempe could have f'd him up even more, Rempe could have used his left to give him some rabbit punches to the schnozz while he was holding him.  

3 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Love Rempe as much as the next guy but the dude needs to chill.  He doesn't need to accept every challenge.  If he does drop the gloves almost every game, he's going to get his bell rung a number of times and could very well turn into Michael Sauer.  

Rempe needs a coach to mentor him like a Colton Orr, to teach him the proper techniques of fighting.  Rempe leaves himself wide open b/c he just throws haymakers.  No way w/ the size of Rempe that a dude 6'1 (Olivier) should be able to clean his clock.  Use that reach, and keep him at bay.  The fight w/ Deslauriers as good as it was, Rempe could have f'd him up even more, Rempe could have used his left to give him some rabbit punches to the schnozz while he was holding him.  

I remember Chara started the same way with his fights.  Big, powerful guy with a lot of reach and strength.  He took some lumps early on too, until he got acclimated to "how it's done".

Nobody really would fuck with him after that, unless they were "selected" by Chara himself.

Rempe's 21, and he's doing fine.  This is what I feel like the learning curve is for a big tough guy at that age.  What's more is the kid came back, shook it off and popped an assist to tie the game at that point.

He can play his role pretty well.  He's going to learn that he doesn't have accept every invitation, but at this point, whether he loves it or not, he's probably the hottest thing in NY.  They'll teach him, don't worry.  He has PLENTY to work with!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue Heaven said:

Agreed. This is adrenaline, though, and I can't really blame him for taking on every challenger out of the gate. He very likely feels like this is a major reason he's where he is, and he knows better than most that his fights fire up the team.

Fighting every single game is insanity, though, and I'd love it if Laviolette calmed his nerves by telling him you're here for more than this.

3 minutes ago, Kick save and a beauty said:

Except for Tom Wilson I would agree.  That one is long overdue but he does need to learn some defense first

That's not "scripted," though. That's carryover. It's something the whole hockey world expected to see because of the events that preceded it.

Scripted is when two guys meet at center ice during warm ups and go "wanna go?" and fight off the puck drop for the purpose of fighting.

20 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Yeah they can’t let this be the case either, for obvious reasons. The play of the rookies might impact the quality of the guys they bring in though. Perhaps they have confidence in those guys, and instead of a Henrique they go get a Wennberg or Dowd. Or instead of a Vatrano they get a Zucker. Cheaper options. You can justify playing a hot rookie over those guys who cost a 3rd or 4th if they earn it and can handle it. You pay a 1st for a guy and he’s getting jammed into the lineup no matter what.

Has Zucker been a name that's been floated out there in the media? I've been saying he's a good fit all season.

I hope he's on their radar. He was such a pain in the ass with Pittsburgh. A hard hitter that can add offense in a few different ways.  I just couldn't confirm that he played RW. 

And love a good fight but I am saying enough is enough!

The kid has proved he can fight but he also has proved he is good at standing in front of the net and causing scoring chances!

The next time a team's goon skates up to one of our own during warm ups the whole team should skate up and say shut the fuck up and leave us alone!

Eventually the bloom will come off the rose a bit with the fighting. I think after awhile no one is really going to scrap with him too much, assuming he continues to make a name for himself for a bit. Once that settles down, they should focus on him getting more ice time and doing what he did offensively against Philadelphia and Columbus.

• Applause 1

22 minutes ago, Pete said:

Zucker is a 5-11, 190 pound LW who's wildly and consistent and can't stay healthy.

Hard pass. 

Agreed. It's the LW issue more than anything. They need a center and a natural RW.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Has Zucker been a name that's been floated out there in the media? I've been saying he's a good fit all season.

I hope he's on their radar. He was such a pain in the ass with Pittsburgh. A hard hitter that can add offense in a few different ways.  I just couldn't confirm that he played RW. 

He was on TSN’s trade bait list

• Thanks 1

For all the guys talking about the referees and even the commissioner having to step in and put an end to Rempe being forced into fights every game should now reassess  your thought process. Rempe is the guy who should be tapping the brakes and he  should stop looking to fight every chance he gets. He asked for yesterday's, he's forcing the issue and hopefully he'll learn sooner than later to not go out there looking for it every game. Take a breath Matt, it will benefit you in the long run.  

Indeed Ozzy, very classy from Olivier. Nicely done on his part.

Edited by Scott
  • Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

4 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

He was on TSN’s trade bait list

I'm almost positive he played mostly RW with the Pens while he was there (im unable to find anything to prove that though).  Love his energy, his ability to get shots off and his nose for the net. He's an upgrade in many ways over what the Rangers have at RW.

Most of all, he plays playoff style hockey. Don't care if he's 5"11. Kakko is 6'3. Miller is 6'5. They play like they are 5'0. Zucker plays big and has a nasty shot. 

They'll probably go with Vatrano though. 

Edited by The Dude

49 minutes ago, Scott said:

For all the guys talking about the referees and even the commissioner having to step in and put an end to Rempe being forced into fights every game should now reaccess the your thought process. Rempe is the guy who should be tapping the brakes and he  should stop looking to fight every chance he gets. He asked for yesterday's, he's forcing the issue and hopefully he'll learn sooner than later to not go out there looking for it every game. Take a breath Matt, it will benefit you in the long run.  

Indeed Ozzy, very classy from Olivier. Nicely done on his part.

Shouldn't Lavy be able to put the breaks on Rempe? And if not, the refs could step during the dancing around phase of the fight to stop it. The Blue Jackets with Oliver is coming up this Wednesday, then Saturday it's Toronto with Reaves. I for one who would not like to see Rempe fighting with five seconds into his first shift on ice, with couple of minutes into the game. He may just get his clock cleaned again for no reason at all. There's time when one needs to fight for himself, or for the team. The first couple of minutes into the game is not the right time.

Yes @Ozzy, Oliver was very classy in the YT video...

• Applause 1

1 hour ago, Cr00zng said:

Shouldn't Lavy be able to put the breaks on Rempe? And if not, the refs could step during the dancing around phase of the fight to stop it. The Blue Jackets with Oliver is coming up this Wednesday, then Saturday it's Toronto with Reaves. I for one who would not like to see Rempe fighting with five seconds into his first shift on ice, with couple of minutes into the game. He may just get his clock cleaned again for no reason at all. There's time when one needs to fight for himself, or for the team. The first couple of minutes into the game is not the right time.

Yes @Ozzy, Oliver was very classy in the YT video...

IMO - sure Lavy can, although who knows what his thoughts are, the last two games (Philly/BJs) in his post game stuff he didn't seemed to be bothered by it. After the Philly game he thanked Rempe for getting the team and the crowd into the game. He may feel differently after how yesterday played out. I don't think it's realistic for him to fight every game especially the way he opens himself up and seems to think he can just trade bombs with everybody. Hopefully he will learn to play defense and not leave himself so completely exposed.  Olivier seemed to be much less of a douchebag that some assumed he was based on the interview @Ozzyposted earlier. 

Who knows what Reaves take will be, but I don't think it will take much to set them off. Personally though I kind of hope Rempe goes the next two without dropping his gloves unless he jumps in if someone is taken advantage of. He shouldn't go out there looking for one imo.

I don't think the linesman are going to be stepping in when two heavyweights are hellbent on squaring off and throwing haymakers. The guys who have been involved in all his fights (especially the last two) aren't guys looking to dance and hug it out, they're wide open. Martin did the kid a favor by offering him a go in his first game, I think the fight game has really passed him on by though at this stage in his career.