• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

22 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Drury must have something big up his sleeve.  Missing out on guys who are being traded for small returns.

Hope you’re right 

There's two days til the trade deadline and the Rangers fan base is going bat shit because Drury hasn't made a deal two days early. Some teams may be more incentivized to making a deal today based on the schedule. The Rangers don't play until Saturday. I'm probably the biggest pessimist about Drury on this board, but the fan base needs to chill. 48 hours to go.

25 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

There's two days til the trade deadline and the Rangers fan base is going bat shit because Drury hasn't made a deal two days early. Some teams may be more incentivized to making a deal today based on the schedule. The Rangers don't play until Saturday. I'm probably the biggest pessimist about Drury on this board, but the fan base needs to chill. 48 hours to go.

It doesn't matter when Drury makes the trades.  Would prefer the sooner the better, but it really doesn't matter much.  We fans get impatient when we see players that could help the team get traded for next to nothing and the available players become less and less.

44 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

18 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

It doesn't matter when Drury makes the trades.  Would prefer the sooner the better, but it really doesn't matter much.  We fans get impatient when we see players that could help the team get traded for next to nothing and the available players become less and less.

Players moved today who nobody even knew were available, specifically Byram and Mittelstadt.

Like I said earlier, not every trade is available to every club. I don't think Buffalo wants to do business with the Rangers, especially with a young guy like Mittelstadt. 

I'm glad they didn't get Henrique. Vatrano is still in the mix, and they don't really have to worry about integrating him since he was here already and knows most of the team. He just has to learn systems.

There's nothing really to freak out about. We weren't going after Sean Walker or Tanev. 

Nobody consequential to the Rangers got moved. I agree that everyone just needs to settle down. 

Buchnevich should be getting way more chatter.

Low cap hit? ✅ 2.9m at half retention is supposedly on the table.

Some term? ✅ Through next year.

Proven chemistry with KZ? ✅ Zibanejad arguably had the best years of his career with Buch on his line, and Buch has only gotten better.

I know the optics stink because they traded him away for essentially nothing, but not even looking his way because of that is making another mistake. The trade is water under the bridge. They didn't trade him at a 3m cap hit. They traded him to avoid the full cap hit. That's a meaningful difference. If Drury didn't originally trade him away, I guarantee everyone would be talking about him as an ideal target. Fits the window. Fits the money. Fits as a potential impact player.

Drury's ego too high to consider it, or Buchnevich has some sour grapes from the trade? Get. Over. It.

This is the guy to get.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Proven chemistry with KZ? ✅ Zibanejad arguably had the best years of his career with Buch on his line, and Buch has only gotten better.

I know the optics stink because they traded him away for essentially nothing, but not even looking his way because of that is making another mistake. The trade is water under the bridge. They didn't trade him at a 3m cap hit. They traded him to avoid the full cap hit. That's a meaningful difference. If Drury didn't originally trade him away, I guarantee everyone would be talking about him as an ideal target. Fits the window. Fits the money. Fits as a potential impact player.

Drury's ego too high to consider it, or Buchnevich has some sour grapes from the trade? Get. Over. It.

This is the guy to get.

The only pause I have is that he's not a shooter. He's just more pass pass pass. 

I'm assuming once they strike out on Guentzel, they'll turn their attention to Buch. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

The only pause I have is that he's not a shooter. He's just more pass pass pass. 

I'm assuming once they strike out on Guentzel, they'll turn their attention to Buch. 

Zibanejad needs to be able get in better positions to shoot. I think part of the problem is he can’t do that as the sole distributor on his line. It sounds backwards, but I actually think he needs that playmaker/passer more than a shooter which requires Zibanejad to lean into the distributor role.

The other part of it is Zibanejad is leaned on to stabilize the line defensively. He’s a really good two way guy. He can start to trail the play more as a shooter joining the rush, if there‘s another guy who can carry/push the puck up ice instead of him. We already know Kreider is not that guy, and that guy doesn’t exist on the roster outside of the Panarin line which is not getting touched.

• Keeps it 100 1

Jason Zucker with 50% retention and it won't cost that much.  Plays a physical game, defensively responsible, chips in offensively and can play either wing.  A guy to go into the corners and win battles for Mika and Kreider line which send Kakko to the 3rd line with Cuylee and Wennberg and the 4th line is Brodz, Vesey and Goodrow.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, delneggs said:

Jason Zucker with 50% retention and it won't cost that much.  Plays a physical game, defensively responsible, chips in offensively and can play either wing.  A guy to go into the corners and win battles for Mika and Kreider line which send Kakko to the 3rd line with Cuylee and Wennberg and the 4th line is Brodz, Vesey and Goodrow.   

I’m not sure why anyone wants Zucker. Outside of one year playing with Crosby, he’s done very little for the last five years. This guy would offer absolutely no help. 

13 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

To NYR: Buchnevich half-retained

To STL: 2024 1st, Sykora, 2026 conditional 3rd (if Rangers win a Cup either year with Buchnevich, it upgrades to a 1st)

Who says no?

Probably Doug Armstrong…

That isn’t a bad deal, though probably not the best deal he could get 

• Cheers 1

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/why-blues-pavel-buchnevich-is-one-trade-target-worth-the-high-asking-price-this-year

Doug Armstrong has set a high bar, a framework that reportedly includes two first-round picks, or one first-round pick plus a first-round equivalent, and an additional prospect. That’s because the Blues are in a no-lose position. Armstrong either gets a hefty price for one of the best players available at this deadline, or he puts him up for auction again this summer with more teams in the mix.

7 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

This is the guy to get.

I'd love it.

Gotta wonder why the Blues would be willing to get rid of him. Gotta wonder why the Rangers didn't want to keep him too. 

Remember he and Shesterkin had that car accident together.  Pure speculation here. Is there a Buchnevich character or off ice issue (booze?).

Edited by The Dude

10 hours ago, BrooksBurner said:

Zibanejad needs to be able get in better positions to shoot. I think part of the problem is he can’t do that as the sole distributor on his line. It sounds backwards, but I actually think he needs that playmaker/passer more than a shooter which requires Zibanejad to lean into the distributor role.

The other part of it is Zibanejad is leaned on to stabilize the line defensively. He’s a really good two way guy. He can start to trail the play more as a shooter joining the rush, if there‘s another guy who can carry/push the puck up ice instead of him. We already know Kreider is not that guy, and that guy doesn’t exist on the roster outside of the Panarin line which is not getting touched.

I can get behind that.

In the breakdown the Athletic did, They also mentioned how much zib is leaned on to get the puck out of his own zone. We all know Kreider should have the poke on his stick as little as possible in the neutral zone because it's a turnover waiting happen, so Buch can work that two-man game to get the puck out of the zone with the zib. 

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I can get behind that.

In the breakdown the Athletic did, They also mentioned how much zib is leaned on to get the puck out of his own zone. We all know Kreider should have the poke on his stick as little as possible in the neutral zone because it's a turnover waiting happen, so Buch can work that two-man game to get the puck out of the zone with the zib. 

Buch’s two-way game really developed when he spent 1+ seasons playing next to Zib.

And his passing complimented Zib well too. 

9 minutes ago, Br4d said:

2024 1st, Kakko and one of Jones/Sykora/Berard.

It's an honest offer that leaves space for one of the towers to keep skating after the deal.

They're not trading Kakko.