• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

5 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

I feel like the market is crazy and he is on a career year 30+g pace. That's the guy we want to catch lightning for a run this year. I'd absolutely give Jones and a first knowing we get two cracks at it with him, especially next year being a contract year for him. If I'm Drury, I'm pursuing nothing else at the moment. I think by giving Jones and a first, we lose nothing of value for the next two shots at bringing Lord Stanley back to NY. 🤞

We have Perrault and Othmann in the wings for the next couple years as well. I'm all in.

Jones and a number 1 doesn’t affect the roster at all but it seems like a lot for Vatrano who’s having a career year.  That being said it is a crazy market.   Rather see something like Sykora and Robertson traded for him.  Or Robertson and the #1.   Jones can be traded for a veteran D like when they got Braun 2 years ago I think it was.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Jones and a number 1 doesn’t affect the roster at all but it seems like a lot for Vatrano who’s having a career year.  That being said it is a crazy market.   Rather see something like Sykora and Robertson traded for him.  Or Robertson and the #1.   Jones can be traded for a veteran D like when they got Braun 2 years ago I think it was.  

Vatrano comes with another year attached to him. You'd be lucky to get a 30 goal guy going into unrestricted free agency for the cost of a 1st. Getting Vatrano signed for so cheap next season is going to cost the  Rangers a pretty penny. Anaheim probably wants the 1st and a guy like Sykora,  Berard, along with maybe Jone/Robertson.  

Vatrano is a good fit because of his salary along with his prior success here. 

But you can probably get Reilly Smith for a similar if not lesser cost. But he carries a 5 million dollar cap hit this year and next. 

Both fit nicely on the roster. But they play different games. Not sure Smith works cap wise next season  though. I think Vatrano can squeeze in with little needed to do so. I totally guessing there. 

47 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Drury is really going to have to pull a rabbit out of his hat. The one guy I see on TSN's trade bait list who can potentially make a sizable enough impact is the one guy who would never be back here (Buchnevich).

celebrate happy birthday GIF by San Jose Sharks

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Drury is really going to have to pull a rabbit out of his hat. The one guy I see on TSN's trade bait list who can potentially make a sizable enough impact is the one guy who would never be back here (Buchnevich).

Guentzel. That's a guy you give up real assets for IMO. I'd trade Othmann + for him.

11 hours ago, The Dude said:

Vatrano comes with another year attached to him. You'd be lucky to get a 30 goal guy going into unrestricted free agency for the cost of a 1st. Getting Vatrano signed for so cheap next season is going to cost the  Rangers a pretty penny. Anaheim probably wants the 1st and a guy like Sykora,  Berard, along with maybe Jone/Robertson.  

Vatrano is a good fit because of his salary along with his prior success here. 

But you can probably get Reilly Smith for a similar if not lesser cost. But he carries a 5 million dollar cap hit this year and next. 

Both fit nicely on the roster. But they play different games. Not sure Smith works cap wise next season  though. I think Vatrano can squeeze in with little needed to do so. I totally guessing there. 

Vatrano is a 30-goal guy on a Ducks team where he gets PP1 time. He's not getting that here. It's not to say he can't still be a good 5v5 goal scorer for them, but it's important context.

1 hour ago, Phil said:

Vatrano is a 30-goal guy on a Ducks team where he gets PP1 time. He's not getting that here. It's not to say he can't still be a good 5v5 goal scorer for them, but it's important context.

11 of his 29 are on the PP. Hes pretty much a career 25ish goal a year guy, getting lower line minutes prior to this year. He's adding a bit more getting increased icetime,  but he's not doing much different than he typically does according to boxcar stats.  He's just getting prime minutes as a 1st liner. It's not all PP.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/v/vatrafr01.html

The price point should be right there in the Rangers wheelhouse. The addition of another year attached to him is a good selling point. He's a decent player,  but not good enough to keep an Othmann, Perreault out of any future plans.

Meaning, you're not slamming the door closed on them for a Vatrano, like you would for Guentzel (if by some miracle they could keep him past this season)

He's likely to get 7-8+ mill for another 7 years on his next deal. I don't open the cupboard for a rental of Guentzel. They can't keep him. 

Vatrano or Reilly Smith should be at the Rangers price point all around. I like Zucker too. But you have a point that he's not known as a RW. 

I think 3C is definitely back on the need list. Brodzinski has returned back to being Brodzinski and this team needs that much more of a legit player if 20/93 can't get going or be split up. 

3 hours ago, Phil said:

No, for a rental they keep. They're a 30+ win now team. Lean in.

No chance they can sign him long term....or should.  The Pens know better and so should the Rangers. 

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

11 of his 29 are on the PP. Hes pretty much a career 25ish goal a year guy, getting lower line minutes prior to this year. He's adding a bit more getting increased icetime,  but he's not doing much different than he typically does according to boxcar stats.  He's just getting prime minutes as a 1st liner. It's not all PP.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/v/vatrafr01.html

The price point should be right there in the Rangers wheelhouse. The addition of another year attached to him is a good selling point. He's a decent player,  but not good enough to keep an Othmann, Perreault out of any future plans.

Meaning, you're not slamming the door closed on them for a Vatrano, like you would for Guentzel (if by some miracle they could keep him past this season)

He's likely to get 7-8+ mill for another 7 years on his next deal. I don't open the cupboard for a rental of Guentzel. They can't keep him. 

Vatrano or Reilly Smith should be at the Rangers price point all around. I like Zucker too. But you have a point that he's not known as a RW. 

I think 3C is definitely back on the need list. Brodzinski has returned back to being Brodzinski and this team needs that much more of a legit player if 20/93 can't get going or be split up. 

Vatrano would be fine.

I know people are looking for a bigger name, but really, there isn’t one out there right now, even as a straight rental, that the Rangers should pay for given what the prices are. 
People shouldn’t be turning their noses up so much on him. 

You know him. He’s had success with 20/93 before. Isn’t bothered by NY, in fact it’s the opposite. He skates well, shoots first, and 
he’s in the midst of his best season as a pro as he’s getting top-6 minutes. 
He also plays in all situations. 
This is a good hockey player who can help and does make your top-6 better. 

At a reasonable price, and having that extra year at manageable cap number, I’d be totally down for them getting him

9 hours ago, Phil said:

Guentzel. That's a guy you give up real assets for IMO. I'd trade Othmann + for him.

You have to find out if Guentzel wants here or not.  He's been a rival for long enough that you need to nail down whether he is re-signable after the season.

No interest at all in giving up Othman plus a 1st for him if he's not part of the long-term picture.

The Pens may also be unwilling to deal Guentzel within the division without receiving a King's ransom in return.

6 hours ago, delneggs said:

No chance they can sign him long term....or should.  The Pens know better and so should the Rangers. 

The Pens and Rangers aren't in the same alignments on window of contention. The Pens need to rebuild. The Rangers need to win now. All this team's best players, minus Lafreniere, are on the wrong side of 30.

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Kreider-Zibanejad-Eberle

Cuylle-Gourde-Duclair

You can swap the mid 6 wings any which way you like.

Next Year

Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere

Kreider-Zibanejad-Chytil/Eberle/Duclair*

Cuylle-Gourde-Othmann

If Chytil isn’t coming back, use his cap to sign replacement. Hopefully Eberle if he looks good with KZ.

Ballpark figures: Kakko/1st/? for Gourde/Eberle half retained. 2nd, or 3rd/Zac Jones for Duclair half retained.

2 hours ago, Phil said:

The Pens and Rangers aren't in the same alignments on window of contention. The Pens need to rebuild. The Rangers need to win now. All this team's best players, minus Lafreniere, are on the wrong side of 30.

Not a reason to trade away one of their best forward prospects for a rental in my opinion.  They have other RW options out there that won't cost them prime assets and can help them get better.    

8 hours ago, delneggs said:

Not a reason to trade away one of their best forward prospects for a rental in my opinion.  They have other RW options out there that won't cost them prime assets and can help them get better.    

I'm not interested in a rental. I'm giving this up for Gunetzel with an extension.

26 minutes ago, Phil said:

I'm not interested in a rental. I'm giving this up for Gunetzel with an extension.

There is no way they can afford an extension PLUS they already have too much cap space concentrated in to few players.  Gunetzel will command 7 years at a big number, so no thanks to that.  

The Pens don't want to give him that contract and it's not because they don't want to win now.  They just signed Malkin and Letang to deals to try to win one more with Crosby, so it's not like they are looking to rebuild.  They just don't want to play a soon to be 30 years old big bucks for 7 or 8 more years, and I don't blame them.  

Edited by delneggs
Added
  • Keeps it 100 1

8 hours ago, delneggs said:

There is no way they can afford an extension PLUS they already have too much cap space concentrated in to few players.  Gunetzel will command 7 years at a big number, so no thanks to that.  

The Pens don't want to give him that contract and it's not because they don't want to win now.  They just signed Malkin and Letang to deals to try to win one more with Crosby, so it's not like they are looking to rebuild.  They just don't want to play a soon to be 30 years old big bucks for 7 or 8 more years, and I don't blame them.  

I think they would if they could. They can if the trade Reilly Smith. 

Edited by The Dude

Thoughts on Bryan Rust from Pitt? Not mentioned anywhere but he's got 18 goals this year and they are on the verge of a fire sale.

5.125 mil per so it's a bit expensive but....just looking at different options. 

Edited by jsm7302

7 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

Thoughts on Bryan Rust from Pitt? Not mentioned anywhere but he's got 18 goals this year and they are on the verge of a fire sale.

5.125 mil per so it's a bit expensive but....just looking at different options. 

Believe Friedman noted the Pens said they won't even ask him to waive his NTC.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Dude said:

I think they would if they could. They can if the trade Reilly Smith. 

If Jake is all that, there should be no reason to trade him, they could easily move Smith. They don't like what he will be asking in his next deal.  

Posted (edited)

Friedman mentioned that the Rangers checked in with Buffalo about the availability of Alex Tuch. Apparently the talks didn’t go very far.

Hes 27. Signed for 3 more years for under $5M annually. Scored 37 goals last year. Has 18 this year. Plays a position of need for us. That would have been a real nice get for Drury but I’d call it a long shot.

Edited by RichieNextel305