• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

List by Vince Mercogliano.

Touches on potential fits in the event Chytil is out for season and we have his money to use. Brings up a few guys, namely Lindholm, who would be about as all-in as it could get for the Rangers.

Also touches on guys who could be fits in the event he returns and we need to go the cheaper route. Brings up Clutterbuck, which I find highly unlikely, and Duclair, among other potentially low-cost options.

Also, Pierre LeBrun recently said in an article posted by The Athletic that the Rangers and Jake Guentzel could potentially be a match at the deadline if Pittsburgh falls out of the race.

Edited by RichieNextel305

If Chytil is out for the year, I’m intrigued by the idea of dealing a 1st to rent Lindholm. Quite frankly, he’s obviously a Top-6 forward. But coming here, he likely would be our 3C. With the way that Trocheck has played on the line with Panarin, I doubt that we see him moved out there. Lindholm has lots of talent but he also does a lot of stuff good away from the puck that would make him a great fit here in the role of a 3C and it would also make the Rangers scary deep down the middle.

• Bullseye 1

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

If Chytil is out for the year, I’m intrigued by the idea of dealing a 1st to rent Lindholm. Quite frankly, he’s obviously a Top-6 forward. But coming here, he likely would be our 3C. With the way that Trocheck has played on the line with Panarin, I doubt that we see him moved out there. Lindholm has lots of talent but he also does a lot of stuff good away from the puck that would make him a great fit here in the role of a 3C and it would also make the Rangers scary deep down the middle.

Yeah.

You wait it out a bit longer on Chytil. Find out what you can and see what is likely to happen there.

If he is in fact unable to return this year, then I’d absolutely be looking at Lindholm first and foremost. 

19 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Eh.  Tro had an incredible hot streak.  Something like 20 of his points came in a 15 game stretch.  He's come back to earth.  Lindholm is the more skilled player.  I think you have to see what he looks like between Panarin and Laf.

• Keeps it 100 1

39 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Eh.  Tro had an incredible hot streak.  Something like 20 of his points came in a 15 game stretch.  He's come back to earth.  Lindholm is the more skilled player.  I think you have to see what he looks like between Panarin and Laf.

Disagree. Goes beyond just the points. They play well together and have developed chemistry. Even when not producing on the scoresheet, they often find ways to pin the opposing teams in their own zone for long stretches of play. 

• Cheers 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

57 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

💯

Laviolette probably doesn't see Tro as a second line center and the way he doesn't see Bonino as a third liner, injuries notwithstanding. 

Tro would be your prototypical third line center who you would want matching up against the other team's top line center during the course of a playoff series. I don't think you can say that about Lindholm. 

Also Guentzel is a LW. Not sure how he helps. 

20 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Disagree. Goes beyond just the points. They play well together and have developed chemistry. Even when not producing on the scoresheet, they often find ways to pin the opposing teams in their own zone for long stretches of play. 

Trocheck FO% + 75% O zone starts really help with all that.

Trocheck is the guy you want checking the other team's top guys. 

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, Pete said:

💯

Laviolette probably doesn't see Tro as a second line center and the way he doesn't see Bonino as a third liner, injuries notwithstanding. 

Tro would be your prototypical third line center who you would want matching up against the other team's top line center during the course of a playoff series. I don't think you can say that about Lindholm. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Trocheck FO% + 75% O zone starts really help with all that.

Trocheck is the guy you want checking the other team's top guys. 

Agreed.

And if they are able to acquire another C that can play in your top-6, you take a whack at that guy with Panarin and LaFreniere 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

💯

Guentzel-Zib-Wheeler

Panarin-Monahan-Laf

Kreider-Tro-Kakko

Goodrow-Bonino-Vesey

Well given the chytil news just posted this becomes very different. That almost certainly means he’s done for the year. 

I have to believe that it sends the wrong message for drury not to go after someone like lindholm. You would imagine that lindholm will figure out how to play with panarin and laf easily, and you always have trochek as an insurance policy if that doesn’t work out. It is a nice fit but an extremely expensive fit. 

Monahan could theoretically replace Bonino but I wonder what you’re really getting there. Not worth it imo. Slotting trochek back down to that role, however, is much much much different. 

Despite all that I think it still winds up being Duclair in the end. He’s going to be cheap, he’s a cup final vet, he can score and plays big. Exactly what we need. 

That said, the prospect of replacing chytil with a lindholm definitely is tasty

18 minutes ago, Keirik said:

Might be a bit of a stretch since he's the captain, but I'd really look to see if we could get Boone Jenner. He has term left with 2 more years but he's a very good player for a 3.75m cap hit especially since we now definitely need another C . 

I’d like that guy too. But as said… he’s their Captain and it would be in the division.

Gotta think that’s pretty unlikely.

28 minutes ago, Long live the King said:

Guentzel-Zib-Wheeler

Panarin-Monahan-Laf

Kreider-Tro-Kakko

Goodrow-Bonino-Vesey

That doesn't really help. Left wing isn't the problem. Right wing is. So as long as the bolded is a thing, it's not a thing. 

It doesn't make sense to give up assets to address something that isn't in need. 

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

That doesn't really help. Left wing isn't the problem. Right wing is. So as long as the bolded is a thing, it's not a thing. 

It doesn't make sense to give up assets to address something that isn't in need. 

More scoring is more scoring.  Wheeler has at least figured out where to go when he catches up to the play.  He's too slow to slot into the 3rd line role and at this point I don't see them moving him out of the line up.

Maybe we can pull back Ryan Strome, and have the best of both worlds:  Trocheck and Strome.  LOL

Seriously though....How about Bjugstadt.  I haven't seen that much of him this year, but he's a big body that can score.

Edited by Ozzy