• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

25 minutes ago, Pete said:

I was not a fan of giving up more assets for Tarasenko but the more I think about it the more I realize you just have to take the name out of the equation.

They need a right wing with a shoot first mentality. If they kept Vatrano then maybe they don't get Tarasenko or Kane. They didn't keep either of those players, but I would trade for either of them today because either one of them will fill the role (Tarasenko moreso).

Point being, if you need to fill a role and you know it's going to cost you a first, a pick, and a prospect... Then you better get the best player available for that package, regardless if it's one that you let walk last year. That player was going to walk regardless, and you still need a player now, you don't cut your nose off despite your face. 

If what you’re saying is that they’re going to spend the asset anyway, yeah. 
Cause they are.

Frankly, anyone who thinks this years 1st rounder isn’t getting traded at the deadline is crazy. It’s getting dealt. 

So at the end of things, all that matters is that you got the right player that fits

And it’s probably even safer with Tank, cause he’s been here already. So some kind of sample to go on. And it’s not a bad sample. 

But you are paying for the same real estate twice. Under similar circumstances. 
Though they’ve already done that twice with Motte. Albeit for pennies on the dollar. 
A bit different with Tank if that happens. 

Also… there’s no argument to be made in the “they should have just kept Tank”

They simply couldn’t do it. It was never a possibility 

If the Rangers are still on target near the trade deadline they should just pass it up.

At that point the risk of an injury is probably similar to the risk of messing up the chemistry that has them floating high above the waterline.

You want a crazy hypothetical at or near the deadline?

EXTREMELY UNLIKELY

TOTALLY HYPOTHETICAL 

Probably never happen, but under very specific circumstances….

Stamkos.

Last year of his deal.

TB is still a good and dangerous team, but currently sitting outside the playoff picture. Missing playoffs or early exit is possible there.

He wants extension.

They put him on hold.

He expressed upset.

He’s been linked to the Rangers before.

He plays C and W.

He is a proven winner and playoff performer. 
Could slot several places. 

Big cap hit.

Chytil would have to not play in the rest of regular season.

Tampa would have to be basically out of it.

Or he’d have to ask out or want to come specifically here, for whatever reason.
Tampa would have to retain.

And you’d need a 3rd team or to send salary out. 

Again… this is just a talking point, purely hypothetical, and EXTREMELY UNLIKELY scenario. 

Stamkos is like their career leader in goals and points at this point.  You have to think they're going to work out a deal for him that takes him through 36 or 37.   He's going to be looking for the same 8.5M he currently covers.

If he was having a bad season he maybe becomes available but he's got 15 goals already and 36 points.

45 minutes ago, Br4d said:

Stamkos is like their career leader in goals and points at this point.  You have to think they're going to work out a deal for him that takes him through 36 or 37.   He's going to be looking for the same 8.5M he currently covers.

If he was having a bad season he maybe becomes available but he's got 15 goals already and 36 points.

Yes.

I think most likely he stays there.

As I said…. HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

But… I put this out there as a purely hypothetical question/scenario/talking point.

And also… yeah, while he’s at a 30+ goal, and better than a point per game pace, he’s also -15. 

He took their attitude about his contract as a slight. 

It’s hypothetically possible 

Yegor Sharangovich is someone who hasn't been mentioned that I'd look at. Calgary isn't pressed to make a decision about him the way Nashville is with Novak, but they're staring down a potential rebuild and really should be considering most anyone. Sharnagovich is 25 and plays all three forward positions. He has one more year at $3.1M. He's been playing first line RW for Calgary over the last few weeks and has been one of their more consistent players during that stretch (12 P in 14 GP). He's also been playing on the first powerplay unit and the second PK unit. He has 5 SHP on the season because he's part of a really dangerous PK unit with Coleman. He's the type of skilled Swiss Army knife the Rangers could use right now. There's also a little bit of a Buch vibe to him. 

If not Sharangovich then go for someone like Novak.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

If what you’re saying is that they’re going to spend the asset anyway, yeah. 
Cause they are.

Frankly, anyone who thinks this years 1st rounder isn’t getting traded at the deadline is crazy. It’s getting dealt. 

So at the end of things, all that matters is that you got the right player that fits

And it’s probably even safer with Tank, cause he’s been here already. So some kind of sample to go on. And it’s not a bad sample. 

But you are paying for the same real estate twice. Under similar circumstances. 
Though they’ve already done that twice with Motte. Albeit for pennies on the dollar. 
A bit different with Tank if that happens. 

Also… there’s no argument to be made in the “they should have just kept Tank”

They simply couldn’t do it. It was never a possibility 

As stated. Dump Goodrow and its possible. I'm pretty sure that was the plan. They just couldn't find a taker. 

16 minutes ago, The Dude said:

As stated. Dump Goodrow and its possible. I'm pretty sure that was the plan. They just couldn't find a taker. 

I'm not so sure. Vince reported many times that he'd never heard anything about Goodrow being shopped. It seemed pretty clear they were bargain shopping.

Even if they removed Goodrow with no retention and signed Tarasenko for that $5M, they wouldn't have been able to sign any of the depth, including Pitlick and Gustafsson. 

1 minute ago, Pete said:

I'm not so sure. Vince reported many times that he'd never heard anything about Goodrow being shopped. It seemed pretty clear they were bargain shopping.

Even if they removed Goodrow with no retention and signed Tarasenko for that $5M, they wouldn't have been able to sign any of the depth, including Pitlick and Gustafsson. 

Probably get him at around 4 and you don't get Pitlick. Oh no.. lol

I remember that that's all I heard was that they were trying to dump Goodrow.  Vince acknowledged it here. 

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/06/30/ny-rangers-free-agency-preview-10-possible-ufa-targets/70369312007/

"The one that’s been whispered about around the league for months is either trading or buying out veteran forward Barclay Goodrow."

8 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I remember that that's all I heard was that they were trying to dump Goodrow.  Vince acknowledged it here. 

https://www.lohud.com/story/sports/nhl/rangers/2023/06/30/ny-rangers-free-agency-preview-10-possible-ufa-targets/70369312007/

"The one that’s been whispered about around the league for months is either trading or buying out veteran forward Barclay Goodrow."

Yeah, there were rumors ... But no one covering the team heard the Rangers were shopping him or buying him out.

Very next sentence:

As I’ve repeated a few times now, my sense is that the Rangers won’t attach an asset to a player they still value just to convince another team to take him.

He goes on to say with the Rangers could do with the cap space if they bought him out, but he never says that he has heard the team is shopping or buying him out. 

37 minutes ago, Pete said:

30 minutes ago, The Dude said:

19 minutes ago, Pete said:

Yeah, there were rumors ... But no one covering the team heard the Rangers were shopping him or buying him out.

Very next sentence:

He goes on to say with the Rangers could do with the cap space if they bought him out, but he never says that he has heard the team is shopping or buying him out. 

It was speculated cause it made sense. That’s all I can really see there.

No real confirmation… just people speculating.

7 hours ago, Pete said:

Very next sentence:

He talked about it. Even discussed buying him out. Thevquote you dropped,  meant they weren't going to add a pick or prospect to the contract just to move him.

Doesn't matter.  It never happened. He's still here and still the player that should go to make cap room if they need it. 

7 hours ago, RangersIn7 said:

It was speculated cause it made sense. That’s all I can really see there.

No real confirmation… just people speculating.

Can't say he heard chatter league wide. Then turn around and say he hasn't had any confirmation on it. Why would he say he heard it, if he hasn't heard anything? 

Bring me a quote that says he's heard nothing about it,  which was the point that was brought up. 

I'd think Wahlstrom is available.  

Could be a volume shooter. Cheap. Needs a fresh start.  Should have been drafted by the Rangers anyway. 

Zac Jones is rotting away. Isles are dying for a D man. 

Edited by The Dude

7 hours ago, The Dude said:

Can't say he heard chatter league wide. Then turn around and say he hasn't had any confirmation on it. Why would he say he heard it, if he hasn't heard anything? 

Bring me a quote that says he's heard nothing about it,  which was the point that was brought up. 

I think he means he’s heard it from other media people around the league, but in terms of them being the ones speculating about it. Nothing from any team.

At least that’s how it landed with me. 

9 hours ago, The Dude said:

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

I think he means he’s heard it from other media people around the league, but in terms of them being the ones speculating about it. Nothing from any team.

At least that’s how it landed with me. 

He said on his podcast that fans keep bringing it up but team sources never said it (that they were shopping him or buying him out).

At any rate, it's moot. They didn't sign Tank and it's pretty clear they didn't plan to. 

Edited by Pete

21 minutes ago, Pete said:

He said on his podcast that fans keep bringing it up but team sources never said it (that they were shopping him or buying him out).

At any rate, it's moot. They didn't sign Tank and it's pretty clear they didn't plan to. 

Yeah.

Thats kind of how I took it 

Some fans put it out there.

Some media members put it out there. 
But as said, no team sources. 

They knew all along they couldn’t afford to pay Tank.

55 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Yeah.

Thats kind of how I took it 

Some fans put it out there.

Some media members put it out there. 
But as said, no team sources. 

They knew all along they couldn’t afford to pay Tank.

Bingo, especially because at the time they were doing their shopping, nobody (even Tank) knew he was only getting $5M.