• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

21 hours ago, Pete said:

Bingo, especially because at the time they were doing their shopping, nobody (even Tank) knew he was only getting $5M.

Yeah.

On the behalf of Tank and his agent though, it’s a real misread of the landscape.

They had to know limited money was available in the desirable places he might have wanted to go, and that a long-term deal at the number he wanted might not be available to him in those places. 

On 1/1/2024 at 12:26 AM, The Dude said:

I'd think Wahlstrom is available.  

Could be a volume shooter. Cheap. Needs a fresh start.  Should have been drafted by the Rangers anyway. 

Zac Jones is rotting away. Isles are dying for a D man. 

If the Islanders would give up Wahlstrom straight up for Zac Jones(or something close to aproximating straight-up), I would do that in a NY minute.

I believe the last time they made a trade was almost 14 years ago however, so it probably won't happen. 

Anyone that wants a laugh, please read the blog article below for the trade proposal that is so absurd it could have come straight from the old Hockey's Future boards.

https://eyesonisles.com/2020/02/17/new-york-islanders-rangers-end-trade-embargo-chris-kreider/ 

46 minutes ago, MuddyInTheMiddle said:

If the Islanders would give up Wahlstrom straight up for Zac Jones(or something close to aproximating straight-up), I would do that in a NY minute.

I believe the last time they made a trade was almost 14 years ago however, so it probably won't happen. 

Anyone that wants a laugh, please read the blog article below for the trade proposal that is so absurd it could have come straight from the old Hockey's Future boards.

https://eyesonisles.com/2020/02/17/new-york-islanders-rangers-end-trade-embargo-chris-kreider/ 

Plenty of folks on this board would have traded Kreider for that

I'm starting to wonder if the Rangers are going to go to Ottawa with Laffy and try to pull Tarasenko + a young C or RW out of the deal.  Ottawa's got some young talent that doesn't quite have Laffy's pedigree but are developing well.  Ottawa could rationalize it as upgrading the young guy at the cost of Tarasenko.

All of this assuming that Laffy is actually raising his trade value this season with his nose closer to the grindstone than it has been.

Edited by Br4d

Looking at some bottom feeders. 

St. Louis could  have a few alternatives. 

How about a change of scenery for Kasperi Kapanan? 3.2 cap hit. Never lived up to his potential.  Has a lot of wasted tools. Probably get him half retained for a song.

Sammy Blais.  Hasn't had the success he had upon returning to the Blues. Maybe reverse that magic by bringing him back? 1 mill cap hit. Would imagine Laviolette would love this type of player. It's better than Brodzinski.  

Odd question (and I think it's a yes answer). Can Brandon Saad play center? 4.5 cap hit (for 2 more seasons). If Chytil is done, here's a perfect replacement. Probably cost a pretty penny. This guy is always on the move, yet always nets a decent return.  Could make this into a much bigger trade by offering them Miller for Saad and a whole lot more. Like top prospect more. Though I don't know who that would be. 

Edited by The Dude

Jason Dickinson (2.75, UFA) + Colin Blackwell (1.2, UFA) from Chicago.

Luke Kunin (2.75, UFA) + Anthony Duclair (3.0, UFA) from San Jose.

Sean Monahan (1.985, UFA) + Joel Armia (3.4 x 1) from Montreal.

Henrique (PUKE, UFA) + Vatrano (3.65 x 1) from Anaheim.

Pinto (RFA) + Kubalik (2.5, UFA) from Sens.

Lots of options if you're looking to combo buy.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Odd question (and I think it's a yes answer). Can Brandon Saad play center? 4.5 cap hit (for 2 more seasons). If Chytil is done, here's a perfect replacement. Probably cost a pretty penny. This guy is always on the move, yet always nets a decent return.  Could make this into a much bigger trade by offering them Miller for Saad and a whole lot more. Like top prospect more. Though I don't know who that would be. 

Not really no. He's taken about 650 faceoffs in his 800+ NHL career. For context, Kreider has taken 650 faceoffs in nearly the same amount of time. Further context is that a guy like Chtil has taken over 2000 faceoffs in under 350 NHL games. Copp (considered a C/W guy) has taken nearly 5,000 faceoffs in 500 games. He's a winger. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Keirik said:

Not really no. He's taken about 650 faceoffs in his 800+ NHL career. For context, Kreider has taken 650 faceoffs in nearly the same amount of time. Further context is that a guy like Chtil has taken over 2000 faceoffs in under 350 NHL games. Copp (considered a C/W guy) has taken nearly 5,000 faceoffs in 500 games. He's a winger. 

Chytil lost 1,999 of them!  LOL

• LMFAO 2
  • Keeps it 100 1

...been watching this goalie from Arizona, Karel Vejmelka.  He looks pretty damn good.  Now if he only had a team in front of him that could pick up a player in the D Zone.

Not a trade target right now, but something to watch for maybe around "Igor time"

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

...been watching this goalie from Arizona, Karel Vejmelka.  He looks pretty damn good.  Now if he only had a team in front of him that could pick up a player in the D Zone.

Not a trade target right now, but something to watch for maybe around "Igor time"

They have two sneaky good goalies 

• TroCheckmark 1

Well now is the time to pull the trigger. You let chytil sit the rest of the year til playoff time and pull the trigger on the deal to make to fix the forward group. Or we risk wasting a really good shot. The conference is really tight and everyone is right behind us.

theres no shame in conceding that we’ve been hard done by injuries. But if you don’t address it despite the heroics to start the year that’s a different story.

Go do it Chris.

Edited by Valriera

On 12/31/2023 at 11:44 AM, Drew a Penalty said:

Yegor Sharangovich is someone who hasn't been mentioned that I'd look at. Calgary isn't pressed to make a decision about him the way Nashville is with Novak, but they're staring down a potential rebuild and really should be considering most anyone. Sharangovich is 25 and plays all three forward positions. He has one more year at $3.1M. He's been playing first line RW for Calgary over the last few weeks and has been one of their more consistent players during that stretch (12 P in 14 GP). He's also been playing on the first powerplay unit and the second PK unit. He has 5 SHP on the season because he's part of a really dangerous PK unit with Coleman. He's the type of skilled Swiss Army knife the Rangers could use right now. There's also a little bit of a Buch vibe to him. 

If not Sharangovich then go for someone like Novak.

5 goals in his last two games including another shorty.

13 hours ago, Drew a Penalty said:

5 goals in his last two games including another shorty.

I'm not sure Calgary sees themselves as sellers. And I don't see them selling him. I think they're trying to extend. 

2 minutes ago, Pete said:

I'm not sure Calgary sees themselves as sellers. And I don't see them selling him. I think they're trying to extend. 

He’s a UFA after next season so they only have so much control. They stand to lose some significant guys in Lindholm, Hanifin, and Tanev. Kylington, who’s working his way back, is also on an expiring deal. If they’re close to a spot they’ll probably just ride them out as self-rentals, but there’s an argument for them taking advantage of what assets they have. Sharangovich might not be amongst their top five guys to sell off, that doesn’t mean he’s not amongst the next group. Given their inability to retain talent headed for UFA I’d imagine they’d at least listen.

3 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

He’s a UFA after next season so they only have so much control. They stand to lose some significant guys in Lindholm, Hanifin, and Tanev. Kylington, who’s working his way back, is also on an expiring deal. If they’re close to a spot they’ll probably just ride them out as self-rentals, but there’s an argument for them taking advantage of what assets they have. Sharangovich might not be amongst their top five guys to sell off, that doesn’t mean he’s not amongst the next group. Given their inability to retain talent headed for UFA I’d imagine they’d at least listen.

Per 32 Thoughts Hanafin conversations are heating back up. They're probably losing Lindholm.

None of that really suggests they would move Sharangovich this year. 

18 minutes ago, Pete said:

Per 32 Thoughts Hanafin conversations are heating back up. They're probably losing Lindholm.

None of that really suggests they would move Sharangovich this year. 

And I’ve said twice that he’s neither at the top of their list nor are they pressed to move him yet. I think they’d be open to discussions if the right deal came along. Sharangovich is a guy I’d rather pay a little more for than some of the rental opportunities out there.

• TroCheckmark 1

31 minutes ago, Drew a Penalty said:

And I’ve said twice that he’s neither at the top of their list nor are they pressed to move him yet. I think they’d be open to discussions if the right deal came along. Sharangovich is a guy I’d rather pay a little more for than some of the rental opportunities out there.

No need to get testy homie. I don't remember everything you write.

I just don't think he's even on the market. 

On 1/10/2024 at 6:12 PM, Phil said:

Jason Dickinson (2.75, UFA) + Colin Blackwell (1.2, UFA) from Chicago.

Luke Kunin (2.75, UFA) + Anthony Duclair (3.0, UFA) from San Jose.

Sean Monahan (1.985, UFA) + Joel Armia (3.4 x 1) from Montreal.

Henrique (PUKE, UFA) + Vatrano (3.65 x 1) from Anaheim.

Pinto (RFA) + Kubalik (2.5, UFA) from Sens.

Lots of options if you're looking to combo buy.

Scratch the Chicago-Dickinson idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now it’s time for a bump. 

with chytil confirmed out for the season I think the target has to be lindholm. It’s not crazy to think that’s the end of chytil’s career and I’d prefer to have some actual depth at center rather than a Monahan type if I can avoid it. If the cost of acquisition winds up ridiculous then I could settle and try to sign the player in the offseason, but I think you have to be bold in this situation and make a move for a strong center. If you don’t, then the team is completely fucked if one of trochek or zbinajead goes down, more so than panarin, and given Mika’s history it’s just not a place you can be imo in the most important position.

This is perhaps the only case I’d include a chip like kakko or miller in a trade for someone already signed too. Those two are expendable on our roster right now and the center position is threadbare at best. Even Ottawa has better center depth than us.

Edited by Valriera