• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

6 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I would be pretty happy if they were able to put together a Cuylle-Domi-Kakko line. That line has peskiness, hitting, and some skill. And also Kakko (I kid, I kid, I think he actually fits this kind of line).

but Domi sucks.  So does Kakko

10 minutes ago, Albatrosss said:

but Domi sucks.  So does Kakko

He'd be 4th on the Rangers in 5v5 production. If you can add that at a low cost of. 4th round pick, he's a better add than the other more expensive options being talked about, who are just as mediocre.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Here's a couple of examples. Max Domi - Leafs. Teddy Blueger - Vancouver. Both players are on expiring contracts. Both teams might be willing to shed them for a 4th to go acquire a Lindholm. Both players would be excellent upgrades on the Rangers' bottom 6 center situation.

Bleuger in particular would be excellent, and your analysis that weaponizing the open cap to take a bottom six center for free is sound imo. 

Vince mentions, as others have, the bad blood between the Rangers and Montreal front offices, thus making a deal for Monahan unlikely. Which isn’t surprising. I think Monahan fits the bill for a lot of contending teams, comes cheap, is a UFA, a lot of things. He’s someone that’s gonna fetch a good package for Montreal because I think the market will be high for him. Someone will overpay. And from the sound of it, even without a relatively big market, Montreal would want the Rangers paying a premium in this situation.

He mentions Lindholm, who I’ve been vocal about. He profiles more as a Top-6 player, but for us would slide nicely on the 3rd line. He’s a do-everything guy. Can score, defend, wins faceoffs, plays a straight ahead game. He will fetch a premium, but is more worthy of that package than Monahan as he is a better player. He for sure would be a rental, but may end up being the best player to hit the market by far.

Also mentions hes heard chatter about (Phil, cover your ears…) the Rangers having interest in Adam Henrique. Again, another guy who would fit nicely. Defends well. Good in the dot. Can score. Playoff experience. Wouldn’t be the worst fit here.

Says he wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a few moves to solve a few problems. The center position is obvious, but also touches on needing help at right wing also. Said he expects Drury to be aggressive. The Rangers are a win-now team given the age and contract status of just about all of their big pieces.

Edited by RichieNextel305

58 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Vince mentions, as others have, the bad blood between the Rangers and Montreal front offices, thus making a deal for Monahan unlikely. Which isn’t surprising. I think Monahan fits the bill for a lot of contending teams, comes cheap, is a UFA, a lot of things. He’s someone that’s gonna fetch a good package for Montreal because I think the market will be high for him. Someone will overpay. And from the sound of it, even without a relatively big market, Montreal would want the Rangers paying a premium in this situation.

He mentions Lindholm, who I’ve been vocal about. He profiles more as a Top-6 player, but for us would slide nicely on the 3rd line. He’s a do-everything guy. Can score, defend, wins faceoffs, plays a straight ahead game. He will fetch a premium, but is more worthy of that package than Monahan as he is a better player. He for sure would be a rental, but may end up being the best player to hit the market by far.

Also mentions hes heard chatter about (Phil, cover your ears…) the Rangers having interest in Adam Henrique. Again, another guy who would fit nicely. Defends well. Good in the dot. Can score. Playoff experience. Wouldn’t be the worst fit here.

Says he wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a few moves to solve a few problems. The center position is obvious, but also touches on needing help at right wing also. Said he expects Drury to be aggressive. The Rangers are a win-now team given the age and contract status of just about all of their big pieces.

Vince is right on.

Whether or not anyone believes in the core is immaterial.

The organization does.

And let’s face it, 

They have 100 wins last 2 seasons, plus a trip to the ECF.

With a guy, no matter what we think of Gallant, that is a meh head coach.

And this year, despite a really shitty stretch, they find themselves at 30-16-3 and in 1st place in the division and poised for another season of 45-50 wins and another 100+ points.

If you told me they’d be 30-16-3 at the all-star break, I’d have signed for it.

There is a group here you can win with.

Currently, looking at the bench, I see this…

A Norris trophy winner.

A Vezina trophy winner.

A 40-goal scorer.

A 50-goal scorer.

A 100 point player.

All playing for a coach that’s won a Cup and has played for 2 more.

Plus… Trouba, Trochek, LaFreniere, Lindgren, Miller.

And the cast behind them is good.

It just needs some beefing up. 

They need a RW for the top-6 and a C for the middle-6.

And Igor needs to be himself.

They’re a really good team. 

• Bullseye 1
  • The Chyt! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Believe 2

12 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Vince is right on.

The organization does.

And let’s face it, 

And this year, despite a really shitty stretch, they find themselves at 30-16-3 and in 1st place in the division and poised for another season of 45-50 wins and another 100+ points.

A Norris trophy winner.

A Vezina trophy winner.

A 40-goal scorer.

A 50-goal scorer.

A 100 point player.

They are as good as any other team picked to contend. Out of all the top teams, only Vancouver hasn't faltered at some point. Every team has bad stretches, and not all of them dealt with some of the injuries the Rangers have.

if you are going to pick up the phone to try and get Tarasenko, i inquire as to how happy Giroux is as well. He has another year at 6.5m but he's also adjusted to both wing and center. He's played in the division, is a playoff performer, etc etc etc. I'll figure out where he fits next year next year when Chytil likely doesn't come back. Just a thought.

51 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Vince is right on.

The organization does.

And let’s face it, 

A Norris trophy winner.

A Vezina trophy winner.

A 40-goal scorer.

A 50-goal scorer.

A 100 point player.

They are on track to finish behind what they accomplished with Gallant. Being in Metro 1st right now is a bit meaningless when it comes to evaluating how they are performing and where things are trending.

With how things look currently, their only chance is for Shesterkin, Panarin, and Zibanejad to catch a hot streak. Historically speaking, relying on just hot streaks to happen, rather than just being consistently good and playing sound hockey as a team, is the worst odds of any approach to actually winning. The grind is too long for it, and the numbers suggest they are not nearly as competitive of a team as most of the other teams trending towards making the playoffs. The eye test shows it too.

• Bullseye 1

4 minutes ago, Keirik said:

if you are going to pick up the phone to try and get Tarasenko, i inquire as to how happy Giroux is as well. He has another year at 6.5m but he's also adjusted to both wing and center. He's played in the division, is a playoff performer, etc etc etc. I'll figure out where he fits next year next year when Chytil likely doesn't come back. Just a thought.

i think Giroux picked the Sens so he could be close to home.  He's from the area.  i doubt he'd want to move voluntarily 

• Thanks 1

What you see as a hot streak, everyone else sees as progression to the mean, as far as Zib and Shesterkin go.

I know some people like to wallow in "this is who they are", especially with Zib. But many others know there's more than a few guys who have more to give.

Zib

Kreider

Kakko

Goodrow

Fox

Miller

Shesterkin

Have all been better than we've seen them this year. Nobody needs to "hope" for a "streak". We anticipate that they will deliver on either what they always have (Zib, Shesty, Fox, Kreider), or what their potential says they can (Miller, Kakko).

11 minutes ago, Pete said:

What you see as a hot streak, everyone else sees as progression to the mean, as far as Zib and Shesterkin go.

I know some people like to wallow in "this is who they are", especially with Zib. But many others know there's more than a few guys who have more to give.

Zib

Kreider

Kakko

Goodrow

Fox

Miller

Shesterkin

Have all been better than we've seen them this year. Nobody needs to "hope" for a "streak". We anticipate that they will deliver on either what they always have (Zib, Shesty, Fox, Kreider), or what their potential says they can (Miller, Kakko).

This is a complete word salad you could have said with Gallant as coach. It's about playing as a team, and they aren't haven't shown that yet. They are running out of time to show they can do anything other than riding individual hot streaks.

1 hour ago, Long live the King said:

Lindholm doesn't have to be a rental.  I wouldn't be opposed to this next year:

Panarin - Lindholm - Laf

Othmann - Zib - Vatrano

Cuylle - Tro - Kakko

Trading Krieder recoups assets you spent on Lindholm and gives you money to keep Lindholm. 

Lindholm is a rental unless you are simultaneously getting rid of both K'Andre Miller and one of Chris Kreider/Barclay Goodrow sometime before the end of next season (I did the math earlier). I don't think a buyout on Goodrow does it.

Next season we would have enough room to figure out how to fit lindholm at around 6-7 range which is what I think he'll sign for. It's the season after where we need to give Laf, Cuylle, and Miller all new contracts with little additional cap relief than we have next season that I'm worried about. Those three players are all looking at minimum 2M extra, each, on their current deals on average.  

Plus that leaves us with continual holes in the right side. 

Me personally, I do the deal, because I want our center ice position to be rock solid and it hasn't been for a long long time. I'm willing to trade from perceived strength (defense) to shore that up.  This season just exposed that to the world. I'm happier with a hole in RW than center, for that matter.

The only issue is I don't think Lindholm is the right player for that trade, Erikkson Ek is. If I'm including Miller in a package for a good center Lindholm is not the player I want, it's Erikkson Ek. 

But it's expensive and risky, so it's not a decision I would hope Drury takes lightly if they go that route and I could see a lot of different approaches there, including a strict 3c and RW upgrade as well. 

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Valriera said:

Lindholm is a rental unless you are simultaneously getting rid of both K'Andre Miller and one of Chris Kreider/Barclay Goodrow sometime before the end of next season (I did the math earlier). I don't think a buyout on Goodrow does it.

Next season we would have enough room to figure out how to fit lindholm at around 6-7 range which is what I think he'll sign for. It's the season after where we need to give Laf, Cuylle, and Miller all new contracts with little additional cap relief than we have next season that I'm worried about. Those three players are all looking at minimum 2M extra, each, on their current deals on average.  

Plus that leaves us with continual holes in the right side. 

Me personally, I do the deal, because I want our center ice position to be rock solid and it hasn't been for a long long time. I'm willing to trade from perceived strength (defense) to shore that up.  This season just exposed that to the world. I'm happier with a hole in RW than center, for that matter.

The only issue is I don't think Lindholm is the right player for that trade, Erikkson Ek is. If I'm including Miller in a package for a good center Lindholm is not the player I want, it's Erikkson Ek. 

But it's expensive and risky, so it's not a decision I would hope Drury takes lightly if they go that route and I could see a lot of different approaches there, including a strict 3c and RW upgrade as well. 

Well thought out. I'm still wondering why people would think of Minnesota would trade Ek, though. 

9 minutes ago, Pete said:

Well thought out. I'm still wondering why people would think of Minnesota would trade Ek, though. 

From my perspective, it's because they have Marco Rossi as the future 1c, so with Rossi and Frederick Gaudreau, they only really need one 4-5M center. Could be hartman, could be Erikkson Ek. 

But it's not like I picked up the phone and asked so I don't have any reason to believe they would. I do think if you start shopping Miller around, a lot of doors open up. Especially because they have Jonas Brodin and nothing else on defense. 

22 minutes ago, Valriera said:

From my perspective, it's because they have Marco Rossi as the future 1c, so with Rossi and Frederick Gaudreau, they only really need one 4-5M center. Could be hartman, could be Erikkson Ek. 

But it's not like I picked up the phone and asked so I don't have any reason to believe they would. I do think if you start shopping Miller around, a lot of doors open up. Especially because they have Jonas Brodin and nothing else on defense. 

Ah, I'm not really sold on that. I think they're going to keep him because his production is outsized versus his contract. 

I also don't think they see themselves as sellers,and this guy has 5 years left on his deal. 

They might move him at the draft because next year has trade protection kicks in, but I'd imagine there are a lot of teams who could put together more attractive package. 

1 hour ago, Keirik said:

Giroux is an interesting idea. Can't stand him on the other team, hard nose, good motor, physical....exactly what this team needs come playoff time

9 hours ago, LindG1000 said:

Would not be the craziest idea to see if Kevin Hayes could return to us.  He's still a good two-way player, still a 35-40ish point guy; if the Blues eat a little, the contract is beyond manageable and provides some level of insurance against Chytil. 

We already have Kakko to skate the puck into the corner then do nothing with it. 

I can't stand Kevin Hayes.  

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dem said:

Giroux is an interesting idea. Can't stand him on the other team, hard nose, good motor, physical....exactly what this team needs come playoff time

its been said he wanted to be closer to family so who knows. I'm thinking he might also wants a cup before he retires and lord know he isn't getting that in Ottawa this or next year most likely. 

2 hours ago, Dem said:

Didn't he flat out say he didn't want to be traded to NY last year or year prior? 

• VINNY! 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

Didn't he flat out say he didn't want to be traded to NY last year or year prior? 

From the Philadelphia Flyers......not sure it had anything more to do than that rather than a desire to not play in NY.