• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

8 Early Trade Deadline Targets for Rangers

RichieNextel305

5 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Friedman mentioned that the Rangers checked in with Buffalo about the availability of Alex Tuch. Apparently the talks didn’t go very far.

Hes 27. Signed for 3 more years for under $5M annually. Scored 37 goals last year. Has 18 this year. Plays a position of need for us. That would have been a real nice get for Drury but I’d call it a long shot.

Drury probably didn't want to give up what Buffalo wanted, as it'd be a hefty package. Too bad, because I think he'd be a great fit. I after splurging the last couple of deadlines, Drury might be looking for cheaper adds this time around.

Edited by Sharpshooter

11 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Friedman mentioned that the Rangers checked in with Buffalo about the availability of Alex Tuch. Apparently the talks didn’t go very far.

Hes 27. Signed for 3 more years for under $5M annually. Scored 37 goals last year. Has 18 this year. Plays a position of need for us. That would have been a real nice get for Drury but I’d call it a long shot.

I mentioned Tuch a few weeks ago but also read Buffalo was shutting down anyone calling about him like right after I posted lol.

Still, this makes me feel like Drury is doing due diligence trying to find a piece that is a really good piece in the mid-long term and not just rentals. Let’s hope he can swing it for a different target.

2 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I mentioned Tuch a few weeks ago but also read Buffalo was shutting down anyone calling about him like right after I posted lol.

Still, this makes me feel like Drury is doing due diligence trying to find a piece that is a really good piece in the mid-long term and not just rentals. Let’s hope he can swing it for a different target.

This is the same reason I wanted them to ask about Hartman and Jenner.

They all fit the same general mold. Built for playoffs but produce in high profile roles.

33 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

Patrick Kane 31 points in 30 games.  Rangers missed the boat not even attempting to sign him.  

Well, they probably read all the reports from folks here that Kane would be a "shell", so they said "hard pass" and ... well... yea.

Edited by Pete
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Well, they probably read all the reports from folks here that Kane would be a "shell", so they said "hard pass" and ... well... yea.

A point a game RW for under 3M would look really good on Mika's line right now.  

• CK20! 1

If the price for Vatrano ends up being way too high for Drury, I still stand by the fact I would have little issues reuniting with Tarasenko.

As it’s been said, any deal for him means Drury picking up the full cap hit and being unable to bring in other teams to lessen it. That said, while I do see the issues with his foot speed, he’s still someone who knows how to play and produce in the playoffs, he’s played under disciplined coaches before so even in a scoring role I expect him to responsible, he has familiarity playing with Zibanejad and Kreider to varying degrees of success, and, if we’re picking up the full tab on a deal, we likely wouldn’t have to sacrifice as much as a team who would be searching for retention in a trade for him.

Again, just spitballing here. But given the situation, I wouldn’t despise seeing him be the one that ends up slotting in on that line, honestly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

If the price for Vatrano ends up being way too high for Drury, I still stand by the fact I would have little issues reuniting with Tarasenko.

As it’s been said, any deal for him means Drury picking up the full cap hit and being unable to bring in other teams to lessen it. That said, while I do see the issues with his foot speed, he’s still someone who knows how to play and produce in the playoffs, he’s played under disciplined coaches before so even in a scoring role I expect him to responsible, he has familiarity playing with Zibanejad and Kreider to varying degrees of success, and, if we’re picking up the full tab on a deal, we likely wouldn’t have to sacrifice as much as a team who would be searching for retention in a trade for him.

Again, just spitballing here. But given the situation, I wouldn’t despise seeing him be the one that ends up slotting in on that line, honestly.

We don't need retention for Tank. We have 5.1m cap space right now thanks to LTIR and tanks cap hit if we acquired him today would be a tad over 1m in cap space for the remainder of the year. 

15 minutes ago, Keirik said:

We don't need retention for Tank. We have 5.1m cap space right now thanks to LTIR and tanks cap hit if we acquired him today would be a tad over 1m in cap space for the remainder of the year. 

Well, technically yeah. But it would hurt our ability to acquire a 3C. Or at least shrink the options or, with the rumors of Wennberg, would really force us to get a 3rd team involved.

All issues that can be resolved. 

I'm not positive about this, but I think that we might have to send Rempe and Edstrom back down to Hartford by Friday.  If I remember correctly, the AHL roster to qualify for their playoffs has to be submitted by Friday, and they would have to be on it. 

I THINK...

@Drew a Penalty??  Is that right??

If so, that would give us some more space under the cap....even if it's a paper transaction, no?

37 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I'm not positive about this, but I think that we might have to send Rempe and Edstrom back down to Hartford by Friday.  If I remember correctly, the AHL roster to qualify for their playoffs has to be submitted by Friday, and they would have to be on it. 

I THINK...

@Drew a Penalty??  Is that right??

If so, that would give us some more space under the cap....even if it's a paper transaction, no?

That's correct re: the AHL roster playoff eligibility. The Rangers would get some temporary cap space from having both Rempe and Edstrom down, but figure you need to keep enough to recall one of them.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blue Heaven said:

Why wouldnt they just send them down today and recall them Saturday since their arent any games in between now and then?

Don't quote me on this, but I think NHL salaries are paid out by days on active roster, not games played. So sending them down for any extended period of time would cut their salaries to their AHL levels for an extended period of time. It would create an additional 70k in cap space or so over the course of the week, but I can't imagine how that moves the needle more than these kids actually getting their NHL paychecks. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Tarasenko to Florida. Very good, very dangerous add to a very good, very dangerous team.

They are going to be a real tough team to bounce out in the spring.

Curious to see what Drury does.

Edited by RichieNextel305

11 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Tarasenko to Florida. Very good, very dangerous add to a very good, very dangerous team.

They are going to be a real tough team to bounce out in the spring.

Curious to see what Drury does.

Better swing big or we won't be keeping up with Fla. This is the expected ECF imo.

Posted (edited)

I really do believe we are the 2nd best team in the East. I think aside from Florida, I like us better than teams like Boston and Toronto and Carolina.

But man, Florida is a scary team.

We are going to need some help if we plan on getting by them. Either that or pray someone else takes a major swing and knocks them out for us so we don’t need to see them down the line. 

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Keeps it 100 1

17 minutes ago, RJWantsTheCup said:

You would think with them not playing until Saturday the sooner they make a trade the better so new players can get acclimated to the team.

Per Marek/Friedman there are teams that still have not yet made the buy/sell decision. Depending on which of those fall where, it could both open up new possibilities and drive last minute prices down. So nobody wants to commit prematurely. (I doubt Tarasenko will be FLA's most consequential add.) I haven't seen this much pressure build to the final 48 hours in a while.