• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2023-24 Out of Town Scoreboard

Phil

50 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

1. The ref messes up the icing call

2. Hughes is a little bitch

Ends up with a 5 min major and Hathaway ejected. Torts' reaction is gold as always lol.

This clip is gold for so many reasons: Devils getting hammered (minus the injury), a scrum, ref incompetence, Torts reaction, all to the tune of The Offspring in the background.

• The Chyt! 1

yet, another blown call!!  Jesus, it's been bad this season.

I never remember the officiating being as bad as it has been the last few seasons.  I actually think it was better when there were only 3 officials!!  They've been fucking horrible all year, and we've been fucked more times than a $5 hooker this season.

Toronto is very little help too!  They've been practiced in the art sucking moose dick too!  ...and not just for us!!!

The level of refereeing this season is noticeably far worse than any other year. In this example, someone could have gotten seriously injured. If it's not icing there, there's a reason you yell and scream at the top of your lungs that there's no icing and give hand signals so everyone knows what's going on. The goalie would communicate to the defenseman and luke hughes doesn't just sit there not playing hockey since he, including everyone else, thought it was going to be icing. He's lucky his season is not over. 

Then the five minute major after review? Give me a fucking break. Garbage refereeing, every night. I don't care if it's bad and a penalty is missed or whatever or you have soft calls or anything, but on video reviews like this? Get fucked. Hathaway is a dirty player and he even holds up here. Ridiculous call.

• Keeps it 100 1

4 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Torts right on the money here.

You will find no bigger Torts fan than I on this board. I even agreed with what he said about Zegras last year (well, the spirit of it anyway.)

That said, there are some parts of this rant that are just dinosaur. Policing the game? Look, the league understands that the players are It's commodity. You have to protect the players. This is not 1983, it's 2023. Head injuries are a thing, CTE is a thing. If you want to protect the players, this is the way the game is going to go. If you don't like it, well, you're not the one who's putting your head on the line, Torts. 

The issue that I do agree with is that the league needs to be consistent. You're either trying to protect the players, or you're not. Two willing combatants want to go at it, sure let them fight. If they want to scramble their eggs, that's their problem. But guys getting hit in a prone position, or guys getting hit on plays that should have been icing, that needs to stop. 

I'm sorry that the game is changing in a way that a lot of you guys don't like, but the game is changing nonetheless, people's livelihoods are at stake here. And you know what...It's not yours. And if you don't like it, just stop watching. 

• VINNY! 1

Yeah I guess as a guy that lives with a brain injury Pete I was focused on the guy has to be prepared to protect himself by turning away, being prepared to be hit the Hughes hit being the example. Also think it's bs as torts points out that guys having to defend themselves by dropping the gloves after a clean but heavy hit is ridiculous. In this case I missed the forest through the trees or however that goes. I was locked in on those two points. The rest about turning the clock back I fully agree it's not going to happen nor should it. Probably not explaining it well at all but hopefully you get a little of where I'm trying to land. 

The last thing I want to see is more head injuries, they're no fucking joke especially when you turn a corner where there's no coming back from it. 

• Bullseye 1

8 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Torts right on the money here.

The issue with Hathaway was the lack of whistle from the ref. Hathaway played as if the game was continuing as he should have. Hughes put himself in a vulnerable position expecting the whistle. Should not have been a penalty but the refs were trying to save face.

Guys play within the rules for the most part and the new up and comers don't play the game like guys did 20 years ago. The same as any other job. Things change.  

Torts is double speaking when he says that we take away policing from the players but then out of the other side of his mouth says guys shouldn't have to answer the bell after a big hit. Those are one in the same.

Rules to protect players are paramount. Play the whistle, Hughes didn't and this happened. Plain and simple. Has nothing to do with bracing for a hit.

• Bullseye 1

39 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

The issue with Hathaway was the lack of whistle from the ref. Hathaway played as if the game was continuing as he should have. Hughes put himself in a vulnerable position expecting the whistle. Should not have been a penalty but the refs were trying to save face.

Guys play within the rules for the most part and the new up and comers don't play the game like guys did 20 years ago. The same as any other job. Things change.  

Torts is double speaking when he says that we take away policing from the players but then out of the other side of his mouth says guys shouldn't have to answer the bell after a big hit. Those are one in the same.

Rules to protect players are paramount. Play the whistle, Hughes didn't and this happened. Plain and simple. Has nothing to do with bracing for a hit.

Totally agree on the whistle not being blown was a big part of it. I do think Hughes could of been more aware and not put himself in such a vulnerable position. 

I think you summed it it well too in the bolded part regarding Torts with the double speak.  IMO clean hard hits should remain part of the game, unfortunately in some cases it will lead to injuries. I don't think every hard clean hit should lead to the guy throwing it having to drop their gloves. 

Gretzky during one of the national broadcast this week said basically he was in favor of banning hitting in almost every euro league, college, most minor leagues. Saying something along the lines of let's face it these kids have no shot at making the NHL and that being the case there's not need for them to play in a league where hitting was allowed. Really extreme position, nobody challenged his position they just nodded especially Carter who was sitting next to him, I believe Hank and Biss were on that night too.  I don't think that's the answer either personally. 

8 hours ago, jsrangers said:

Totally agree on the whistle not being blown was a big part of it. I do think Hughes could of been more aware and not put himself in such a vulnerable position. 

I think you summed it it well too in the bolded part regarding Torts with the double speak.  IMO clean hard hits should remain part of the game, unfortunately in some cases it will lead to injuries. I don't think every hard clean hit should lead to the guy throwing it having to drop their gloves. 

Gretzky during one of the national broadcast this week said basically he was in favor of banning hitting in almost every euro league, college, most minor leagues. Saying something along the lines of let's face it these kids have no shot at making the NHL and that being the case there's not need for them to play in a league where hitting was allowed. Really extreme position, nobody challenged his position they just nodded especially Carter who was sitting next to him, I believe Hank and Biss were on that night too.  I don't think that's the answer either personally. 

If guys didn't want to hit or get hit then they wouldn't play the game. I think Gretz is way off on this one. Imagine someone taking that stance with football. We would be watching flag football and roller hockey rules. Less injuries but a WAYYYY different game entirely. 

Because of all of the issues we’ve seen over the last 30+ years with concussions, the league is sensitive to that.

And they want to protect players.

Thats warranted.

All of it.

Especially with star players. Which Like Hughes is going to be.

You need to protect the players, especially the stars.

The game is worse when those guys aren’t playing.

Watch an NFL game where you’ve got backup QB’s playing and you’ll see why the NFL protects the QB so much, cause the product is terrible when you have backup QB’s out there.

However, while it’s irresponsible on Hatahaway’s part, I can’t actually blame him for delivering that hit there.

Its bang bang.

He doesn’t hear the whistle.

He probably shouldn’t deliver the hit because Hughes is prone and vulnerable. 
He needs to recognize that.

But once there’s no whistle, he gets placed in a spot where he feels like he has to. 

And the refs created that situation by not blowing the whistle when they should have. 
And then the call afterwards is bad.

Refs needed to absorb some of that.

It can’t all be on Hathaway.

Though he does need to be penalized.

If they call a minor there, ok.

If they can do it as a double minor, ok.

If it’s just the major, I can live with that too.

But the misconduct/ejection, was excessive and inappropriate. 

I’ll also say that yes, Hathaway is a dirty player.

But in this instance, no whistle, he’s not targeting the head at all, he kind of gets pushed, so there’s added momentum, and he’s trying to force Hughes off the puck and put his body in between the puck and Hughes. 
It’s ill-advised, and dangerous. 
But it’s also not completely on him.

They put the hybrid/no-touch icing rule in place to avoid plays like this. 
When they did so, they took that play away from the players and gave it to the refs.

But if you don’t blow the whistle, you’re going to have plays like this. You’re giving it back to the players in this instance.

As for Torts comments, the stuff about no whistle is all fair.

The other stuff is kind of BS.

But I get his upset

• Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Because of all of the issues we’ve seen over the last 30+ years with concussions, the league is sensitive to that.

And they want to protect players.

Thats warranted.

All of it.

Especially with star players. Which Like Hughes is going to be.

You need to protect the players, especially the stars.

The game is worse when those guys aren’t playing.

Watch an NFL game where you’ve got backup QB’s playing and you’ll see why the NFL protects the QB so much, cause the product is terrible when you have backup QB’s out there.

However, while it’s irresponsible on Hatahaway’s part, I can’t actually blame him for delivering that hit there.

Its bang bang.

He doesn’t hear the whistle.

He probably shouldn’t deliver the hit because Hughes is prone and vulnerable. 
He needs to recognize that.

But once there’s no whistle, he gets placed in a spot where he feels like he has to. 

And the refs created that situation by not blowing the whistle when they should have. 
And then the call afterwards is bad.

Refs needed to absorb some of that.

It can’t all be on Hathaway.

Though he does need to be penalized.

If they call a minor there, ok.

If they can do it as a double minor, ok.

If it’s just the major, I can live with that too.

But the misconduct/ejection, was excessive and inappropriate. 

I’ll also say that yes, Hathaway is a dirty player.

But in this instance, no whistle, he’s not targeting the head at all, he kind of gets pushed, so there’s added momentum, and he’s trying to force Hughes off the puck and put his body in between the puck and Hughes. 
It’s ill-advised, and dangerous. 
But it’s also not completely on him.

They put the hybrid/no-touch icing rule in place to avoid plays like this. 
When they did so, they took that play away from the players and gave it to the refs.

But if you don’t blow the whistle, you’re going to have plays like this. You’re giving it back to the players in this instance.

As for Torts comments, the stuff about no whistle is all fair.

The other stuff is kind of BS.

But I get his upset

Agree with @jsm7302, Hathaway hit was pretty legal, maybe a boarding call. Hughes problem is that he didn't play to the whistle and Hathaway did. 

1 hour ago, jsm7302 said:

If guys didn't want to hit or get hit then they wouldn't play the game. I think Gretz is way off on this one. Imagine someone taking that stance with football. We would be watching flag football and roller hockey rules. Less injuries but a WAYYYY different game entirely. 

European hockey does not have much hitting. Hitting/fighting is strictly a North American thing. 
hockey is a violent sport but it doesn’t have to be, it’s a beautiful game.  Don Cherry would probably kick my ass for saying this…lol. 

Edited by Albatrosss
  • Bullseye 1

45 minutes ago, Pete said:

Agree with @jsm7302, Hathaway hit was pretty legal, maybe a boarding call. Hughes problem is that he didn't play to the whistle and Hathaway did. 

Yeah

It’s not an illegal hit.

Its definitely dangerous and thereby imprudent and irresponsible. 

But it only occurs because no whistle comes.

Its almost entirely on the refs.

Hathaway… any player, should know better.

That’s why they took it away in the first place.

But if you don’t blow the whistle, you give it back.

Hughes back isn’t turned.

Theres no hit to the head.

Its shoulder to chest/shoulder.

Its a positional hit.

And yes, Hughes is prone and vulnerable, but only because he makes himself so due to expecting the whistle.

He clearly stops skating and and relaxes expecting a whistle and stoppage.

Its the new norm.

Which is understandable given the rule

But players need to understand that while the whistle is coming that

A) It’s coming 98-99% of the time, IT IS NOT COMING 100% Of the time.

B) They still need to play those pucks like the whistle isn’t ever coming. 
C) Coaches need to emphasize that and coach their players accordingly.

Especially the ones that grew up with hybrid icing which is at all levels. 

A 2 minute minor should absolutely be assessed. Because you’re protecting players and you should be consistent. 

A double minor or even a major there is excessive, but if it happens, it’s acceptable.

But the misconduct was way too much 

Edited by RangersIn7

On Torts comments, the part about him talking about hitting being part of the game, he’s right in general, but it’s wrong in this instance.

This isn’t a “take/deliver a hit to make a play” type situation.

It is however a situation where the players involved have to expect hitting… 

I just put that as a dropped ball by the officials, which resulted in the hit.

And Hathaway took the bullet in terms of the call. 
But he should not have.

The after the play stuff… that’s coming too.

But also because you didn’t blow the whistle.

I think his general comment about how players should be able to lay a clean and hard hit without having to fight is true. 
And while I think it has some relevance here, it’s not fully relevant.

Bottom line… this is an instance where the refs cause this whole thing.

5 hours ago, Albatrosss said:

European hockey does not have much hitting. Hitting/fighting is strictly a North American thing. 
hockey is a violent sport but it doesn’t have to be, it’s a beautiful game.  Don Cherry would probably kick my ass for saying this…lol. 

Don Cherry is a dinosaur with a dinosaur brain who was forced into early retirement cause of his dinosaur thoughts. Right kind of person to piss off with progressive thoughts about making the sport safer and better. 

4 minutes ago, phillyb said:

Don Cherry is a dinosaur with a dinosaur brain who was forced into early retirement cause of his dinosaur thoughts. Right kind of person to piss off with progressive thoughts about making the sport safer and better. 

Don Cherry was fun to listen to.