• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

9 minutes ago, Phil said:

Great. Show it at ES. Score goals at ES and you're all but guaranteed to get PP time. That's how it works. Show offensive instinct and actually score goals and you'll get there.

Goals at 5v5

Panarin 19

Kreider 19

Chytil 17

Zib 16

Kakko 15

This isn’t a big gap. It behooves the team to groom the young talent for the betterment of the future at this stage. That means significant PP time. No more of this PP2 afterthought approach where they don’t get any time during the season and then look predictably bad in the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 2

11 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

Goals at 5v5

Panarin 19

Kreider 19

Chytil 17

Zib 16

Kakko 15

This isn’t a big gap. It behooves the team to groom the young talent for the betterment of the future at this stage. That means significant PP time. No more of this PP2 afterthought approach where they don’t get any time during the season and then look predictably bad in the playoffs.

Well, the good thing is, regardless of whether Kane comes back, Tarasenko very likely doesn't, so that opens a huge door for him right out of the gate — especially if Kane ends up having hip surgery and misses a good chunk of the year.

So he may be getting that PP time by default.

2 minutes ago, Phil said:

Well, the good thing is, regardless of whether Kane comes back, Tarasenko very likely doesn't, so that opens a huge door for him right out of the gate — especially if Kane ends up having hip surgery and misses a good chunk of the year.

So he may be getting that PP time by default.

I don't think that's true. Even with a coaching change, if the roster doesn't change I would suspect the same PP1. Kreider-Zib-Tro-Panarin-Fox. Putting Kakko in the bumper spot where the puck barely touches his stick is not going to cut it for the same reason they wouldn't put Panarin in the bumper spot. He needs to be in a position to succeed where he's utilizing his strengths with the puck on his stick.

Ergo, demote or trade Panarin.

4 minutes ago, BrooksBurner said:

I don't think that's true. Even with a coaching change, if the roster doesn't change I would suspect the same PP1. Kreider-Zib-Tro-Panarin-Fox. Putting Kakko in the bumper spot where the puck barely touches his stick is not going to cut it for the same reason they wouldn't put Panarin in the bumper spot. He needs to be in a position to succeed where he's utilizing his strengths with the puck on his stick.

Ergo, demote or trade Panarin.

I didn't say he's getting PP1, I said he's likely getting PP time by default.

I'd happily cut Trocheck out of the first unit for Kakko, though, for the record.

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

Goals at 5v5

Panarin 19

Kreider 19

Chytil 17

Zib 16

Kakko 15

The team has enough talent to have two #1 units, just alternate them. You don't always have to start with the Fox/Zib whomever unit. Construct 2 units that have different strategies, with the right people on them not a mishmash of guys who didn't make the PP1 cut.

That's coaching.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

36 minutes ago, Phil said:

I didn't say he's getting PP1, I said he's likely getting PP time by default.

I'd happily cut Trocheck out of the first unit for Kakko, though, for the record.

Trocheck should never see the PP. Like at ES, he gets his points there, but there's no flow, there's no sync, no chemistry with the other guys.

• Keeps it 100 1

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

Trocheck should never see the PP. Like at ES, he gets his points there, but there's no flow, there's no sync, no chemistry with the other guys.

Yup, and his hockey sense is pathetic. He never knows when to shoot or pass, so he just shoots, and has Callahan-like accuracy, so every shot/attempt is a fucking crap shoot on where the puck is going.

This is an easy swap to make. Kakko probably needs the boost/opportunity, and is better built to play the bumper than Trocheck is. Just swap them one-for-one.

10 minutes ago, Pete said:

The team has enough talent to have two #1 units, just alternate them. You don't always have to start with the Fox/Zib whomever unit. Construct 2 units that have different strategies, with the right people on them not a mishmash of guys who didn't make the PP1 cut.

That's coaching.

I think 99% of the teams in the league have a clear 1st unit. So it's actually impressive of you to find another thing to blame GG for lol.

And he tried this approach as well. The problem is that it's only one Adam Fox on this team. Trouba and Miller is just not good enough to quarterback a PP. Miller is better offensively but it's mainly off the rush. He's not good at controlling the puck along the blue line, nor is he good at finding the right pass and even his shot has limitations.

What you can do is have to "equal" units and try to double-shift Fox as much as possible, but I fear that will cause way too many odd man rushes the other way when Fox gets tired and the forwards don't care to backcheck on the PP.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I think 99% of the teams in the league have a clear 1st unit. So it's actually impressive of you to find another thing to blame GG for lol.

And he tried this approach as well. The problem is that it's only one Adam Fox on this team. Trouba and Miller is just not good enough to quarterback a PP. Miller is better offensively but it's mainly off the rush. He's not good at controlling the puck along the blue line, nor is he good at finding the right pass and even his shot has limitations.

What you can do is have to "equal" units and try to double-shift Fox as much as possible, but I fear that will cause way too many odd man rushes the other way when Fox gets tired and the forwards don't care to backcheck on the PP.

99% of teams didn't have Panarin, Zib, Krieder, Kane Tarasenko, Fox for unit #1 and the kid line (#1 #2 #18 overall) with Trouba and Miller for unit #2 and plenty of teams don't keep unit #1 out for 1:30 of a PP and then throw on 5 guys who don't play together at any other time out for the last 30 seconds, fucking up every other line so that you have the 4th line out there right after a PP.

Miller had 40+ with barely any PP time, he's earned the chance to have time more than ANYONE on the kid ine.

Edited by Pete
  • Like 1

The kid line excelled against 3rd line favorable matchups this season to the point that I could hardly stand it. Hearing any of them talk about needing more pp time or playing up falls on deaf ears here. 1 and 2 started up in the lineup day one this season, no? For all the hype overall they didn't do much especially 1 and 2 and I believe 72 started off at a much faster pace but tailed off significantly??.  All the talk and pumping of the tires again going into the season about the vaunted kids line was just that - talk.   

https://nypost.com/2023/05/02/kid-line-likely-to-pay-price-for-rangers-playoff-failures/

Kid Line likely to pay price for Rangers’ playoff failure, roster construction

It’s not that the Rangers lost, it’s the way they collapsed against New Jersey while showing a mystifying lack of urgency, resolve and poise after taking a 2-0 lead in the series that was probably achieved much too easily for their own good.

There will be no knee-jerk reaction here to the future of head coach Gerard Gallant, who has steered the team to 110- and 107-point seasons in his two years behind the bench, with one trip to the conference finals as notches in his belt. There should be no rush to judgment here and there won’t be from Drury, who operates methodically and without knee-jerk emotion.

The Rangers, as I have been saying for years, need a line with a lockdown mentality and matchup capability. But I am not sure how Drury would go about that while locked in with Zibanejad, Trocheck and Filip Chytil down the middle. Not one is a checking center. Maybe, and this is probably indicative of the type of knee-jerk reaction Drury and the staff should avoid, but maybe this is the time to revisit the notion of moving Chytil to the wing on either of the top two units. See why I am a columnist?

I cannot even begin to explain Artemi Panarin’s series. The notion that No. 10 is going to be willing to waive his no-trade seems as cockamamie to me as being able to find a team that would be willing to take the 31-year-old’s contract that has three years to go at an annual cap hit of $11,642,857 per.

Plus, there is this: The Rangers probably wouldn’t make the playoffs without Panarin, who is eighth in the NHL in points (68-178-246) and points-per-game (1.24) over his four seasons on Broadway. You can’t win the Cup if you can’t make the playoffs.

If there is limited roster maneuverability with the no-move veterans, then Drury is looking at what would probably become a very unpopular option of dealing (at least) one of this quartet. Miller, a pending restricted free agent, would fetch the most in return, but boy, what a gamble trading him would be. Next in line is Lafreniere, also a pending free agent.

If Drury needs to restructure the roster — and he does after this stark reminder that there are not enough hard hats in the neighborhood — then here is where it starts.

Kids. Here today. Might be gone tomorrow.

I wrote a couple of bad takes in this one, but I'm also paid to get clicks.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • LMFAO 3

https://nypost.com/2023/05/02/kid-line-likely-to-pay-price-for-rangers-playoff-failures/

But the performances of the young’uns who gained such valuable experience through last year’s 20-game playoff run (right?) added up to perhaps the biggest collective letdown of the postseason. That includes K’Andre Miller as well as Chytil, Kaapo Kakko and Alexis Lafreniere, all of whom regressed to varying degrees.

The third-line thing seems to not only have outgrown them but is kind of stifling each individual forward’s growth. It was fun while it lasted, truly it was, but the statute of limitations has hit as it pertains to evaluating Kakko as a second-overall pick and Lafreniere as a first-overall. That no longer holds relevance.

Edited by jsrangers

1 hour ago, BrooksBurner said:

I wrote a couple of bad takes in this one, but I'm also paid to get clicks.

Either Chytil to RW, or Trocheck to RW. Maybe the 2 combined with Panarin could be a line. Kinda rotating center duties. Trocheck fits as the shot chucker from the wing. 

Or, Trocheck becomes your 3C in a grinding roll, where his line can be more meat and potatoes.  Which puts Chytil in more of a role that suites him. 

That 3rd line needs a different identity than the other lines. It's obvious, you can have too much skill.  

10 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Either Chytil to RW, or Trocheck to RW. Maybe the 2 combined with Panarin could be a line. Kinda rotating center duties. Trocheck fits as the shot chucker from the wing. 

Or, Trocheck becomes your 3C in a grinding roll, where his line can be more meat and potatoes.  Which puts Chytil in more of a role that suites him. 

That 3rd line needs a different identity than the other lines. It's obvious, you can have too much skill.  

I really hope not. Panarin and Trocheck go together like peanut butter and tuna fish. Chytil might work, but they've barely played together, so the jury's still out. They also don't have much choice outside of him, so they'll probably play together by default.

Personally, I've seen all I ever want to see of Trocheck and Panairn. Next season, I think it'd be smart to consider the idea of Laugh taking Kreider's spot at ES on the Zib line (to boost him) and then reuniting Kreider and Trocheck to create a straight line third line (with Vesey).

We don't know exactly what the outcome of the off-season will be, but with their limitations, they could easily go with:

Laugh-Zib-Kakko

Panarin-Chytil-Fast

Kreider-Trocheck-Vesey

Othmann-Kampf-Motte

They get "harder to play against" with all the bolded new additions and they won't break their cap.

If shit goes sideways, you can reconfigure, but I'd be actively trying to work a lineup that doesn't pair Panarin and Trocheck.

• Applause 1