• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

I can understand Gallant getting outcoached by Jon Cooper, but Lindy Ruff? Ruff isn't really a hack by any stretch, but c'mon. He's shown here what he's been everywhere else. Not necessarily horrible, quick successes, but just on a very short leash when some realize he doesn't really have a plan. You can be a player's coach to a degree, but you still need a game plan. I don't care how veteran laden your team is, if you don't have anything for them to go on, they're just going to do whatever and not really respect you.

18 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I can’t say I really disagree with what he said here. Two seasons with over 105+ points. One season where they were within an arms reach of going to the Finals. If we’re supposed to stand by our players for their regular season success even though it didn’t translate into playoff success, why does the coach fall after back to back solid campaigns?

I’m really torn here.

Ice Hockey Sport GIF by NHL

• Bullseye 2

6 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Vince's quote from Kane is different. Boo.

For cheap?

Being a hockey player and having had major hip surgery, I can understand what Kane is saying in his interviews. He's really hurt, and his focus wasn't on hockey, it was on just feeling "OK" every day. I went through a year of rehab before I got my hip done, and it takes a lot out of you. At one point I just said "My life can't be daily rehab", and I got it replaced.

But the hate this guy is getting is just completely undeserved, IMO. Maybe they shouldn't have brought him in, and I didn't end how I wanted it to, but the personal attacks on him are just not justified IMO.

• Like 1

Kane started slow, but by Game 7 was really the only forward in top 9 who looked dangerous at ES.

Seemed to settle better in to supporting role, rather than a leading role.

The 2nd PP was so bad that it had me laughing, but that was 99% Trochek and Trouba. Trochek just needs the Hagelin treatment.

• Like 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

If Kane has the surgery and goes elsewhere, we're going to see him go back to being the Patrick Kane of old. We all know it. lol

Not so sure, he talks about he's not even sure surgery is necessary in some interviews today. Pete, it's not personal, just didn't think it was a good move at the time, more of the same old Rangers type move bringing in more of the same. Not what they needed in this lineup and not at this stage in his career and especially when his game appeared to be impacted by injury prior to arrival.  Hip/back injuries are brutal on the rest of us let alone professional athletes. They brought in more of what they already had too much of who clearly wasn't able to play at the top of his game.

• Keeps it 100 1

I still think Kane would want to stay, and could be had for less than market value here. If he comes back healthy l, I still see no reason why he couldn’t be an 80+ point player next season. He was very far from 100%. If he wants in and is willing to take a discount, I definitely do it if I’m Drury. Hell, maybe a full season here is what gets the best out of Panarin not only during the season but also come playoff time. 

Edited by RichieNextel305
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

Not so sure, he talks about he's not even sure surgery is necessary in some interviews today. Pete, it's not personal, just didn't think it was a good move at the time, more of the same old Rangers type move bringing in more of the same. Not what they needed in this lineup and not at this stage in his career and especially when his game appeared to be impacted by injury prior to arrival.  Hip/back injuries are brutal on the rest of us let alone professional athletes. They brought in more of what they already had too much of who clearly wasn't able to play at the top of his game.

That's great if he doesn't need it, and just an offseason of rest would do the trick.

Yeah, I didn't really hate bringing him in, though, it just wasn't really a need. Not only that, but it fucked up the roster a bit for about two weeks.

57 minutes ago, jsrangers said:

I hear you but they got him for almost nothing. Who was taking that spot and would have changed the outcome?

Expectations were too high, @Dunny is right, he was here for a support role. Tarasenko was the golden goose and he wasn't even all that good, but everyone loves him (me included). I don't see why anyone should be hating on Kane, other than he didn't live up to some fan's individual reputations.

I mean once I knew he was hurt and they got Tank, I wasn't so sure he was the guy to get from CHI. I was kind of hoping it was gonna be Domi.

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Friedman lays a lot of this on Panarin, who needs to be better. Also says the Quenneville chatter could stem from

the fact Panarin has had a lot of success under him. Which to me, makes little sense. Panarin has had success under every coach he’s played for. That isn’t any doubt. The doubt comes from his lackluster, lazy and horrid playoff play. Also says that at some point in the series, there was a screaming match that everyone heard; didn’t specify who it involved but sounded more coaches/management than players. But no clarification.

Argument could just as easily be he had playoff success with CBJ working for  a  certain coach known for structure who is on his way out in Philly. And that is not happening. 

2 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

I can’t say I really disagree with what he said here. Two seasons with over 105+ points. One season where they were within an arms reach of going to the Finals. If we’re supposed to stand by our players for their regular season success even though it didn’t translate into playoff success, why does the coach fall after back to back solid campaigns?

I’m really torn here.

Surprising they have not yet spoken. Very odd.

Drury probably does not know what he wants to do yet.  His coach and becoming his team over the last two seasons.

Lots of decisions made before he took top job are becoming questionable at this point and he probably genuinely does not know how to handle some of the interactions necessary at this point.

I=

14 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Surprising they have not yet spoken. Very odd.

I would think its due to the fact that today was breakout day, player interviews with Drury.....Next up would be GM-Coach breakup day, where Drury would decide on what the next steps would be.....I would assume that would be tomorrow.  

Not sure it's too much of a surprise either. If JQ is the target they don't even have the answer if he would be allowed back into the league at this time. I would bet that has an impact as to the timing of this all playing out too.  I would think the league would prefer t not deal with their playoffs not being interrupted with any noise around JQ either way which I also think is fair. The league isn't on the Rangers schedule.

4 hours ago, RichieNextel305 said:

Friedman lays a lot of this on Panarin, who needs to be better. Also says the Quenneville chatter could stem from

the fact Panarin has had a lot of success under him. Which to me, makes little sense. Panarin has had success under every coach he’s played for. That isn’t any doubt. The doubt comes from his lackluster, lazy and horrid playoff play. Also says that at some point in the series, there was a screaming match that everyone heard; didn’t specify who it involved but sounded more coaches/management than players. But no clarification.

They showed Trocheck in a clear argument with Gallant on the bench, I believe towards the beginning of the 3rd. 

10 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Thought this was interesting. As you can see, the playmaker managed to create one single HDC the entire series. Trocheck 3x as many.

I think it's fair to say there's no one else than Panarin to blame for his embarrassing showing these 7 games.

Were the players on the ice with Panarin, getting themselves in position for some high danger scoring opportunities? You win as a team, you lose as a team.

• Applause 1
  • Keeps it 100 1