• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2022-23 Off-season Thread: Endless Pain, Hatred, and Rage ... Also Boredom

Phil

9 minutes ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

What exactly did he do? Took a shot in the dark by playing Scmid. Great coaching move. Hardly. The Devils settled themselves and played exactly the way they played all season. Ruff didn’t make amazing tactical changes in the series. The Rangers played right into their hands. So do tell, what did Ruff do to “out coach” Gallant? And what great moves should Gallant have done? 

Scratched ineffective players, moved his lineup around, changed goaltenders, used a system to stifle zone entries for the Rangers and creating turnovers for quick neutral zone transitions.

Gallant should have scratched a useless Kane and employed Brodzinski on the fourth line who has brought energy everytime he is inserted into the lineup. Then should have moved Goodrow and Vesey up the lineup. These roster shake ups alone would change the forecheck on 3 lines. Practice a system of dump and chase with a very proactive aggressive forecheck. GET THE PUCK THROUGH AND OUT OF THE NEUTRAL ZONE AS QUICK AS POSSIBLE. It shuts down the speedy neutral zone turnover game which killed the Rangers.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

What exactly did he do? Took a shot in the dark by playing Scmid. Great coaching move. Hardly. The Devils settled themselves and played exactly the way they played all season. Ruff didn’t make amazing tactical changes in the series. The Rangers played right into their hands. So do tell, what did Ruff do to “out coach” Gallant? And what great moves should Gallant have done? 

He completely took away the middle of the ice from the Rangers and then totally exploited the ways the Rangers tried to counter that. 

• Bullseye 1

Wow…….all of these suggestions are revolutionary. Be sure to get your applications in if GG gets fired. Let me repeat, the Devils played the exact same way they played all season. Lineup changes were a luxury for Ruff and he made a few. Did those players inserted or subtracted make the difference? Not likely. The Rangers had self inflicted wounds all over. The Devils did not alter their system, they simply executed the way they play to be successful. Do you think the Rangers coaching staff told the players to make stupid plays? All of you would complain regardless. If they sat Kane and lost, you would complain. When they move players around, you complain. If they don’t move players around, you complain. If the Rangers players stuck to what was working, they had a chance. The players did not execute. Plain and simple. You all think you know what gets said behind closed doors. You don’t. The players don’t get a pass. How many coaches are we going on that the fan base has complained about? ALL OF THEM. 

• Keeps it 100 1

1 minute ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

Wow…….all of these suggestions are revolutionary. Be sure to get your applications in if GG gets fired. Let me repeat, the Devils played the exact same way they played all season. Lineup changes were a luxury for Ruff and he made a few. Did those players inserted or subtracted make the difference? Not likely. The Rangers had self inflicted wounds all over. The Devils did not alter their system, they simply executed the way they play to be successful. Do you think the Rangers coaching staff told the players to make stupid plays? All of you would complain regardless. If they sat Kane and lost, you would complain. When they move players around, you complain. If they don’t move players around, you complain. If the Rangers players stuck to what was working, they had a chance. The players did not execute. Plain and simple. You all think you know what gets said behind closed doors. You don’t. The players don’t get a pass. How many coaches are we going on that the fan base has complained about? ALL OF THEM. 

It's OK Gerard, you're still gonna get paid until 2025.

Edited by Pete
  • LMFAO 4
  • The Chyt! 1

7 minutes ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

Why have coaches? They don't say or change anything that matters....

• Applause 1

Just want to be very clear as the  coach chatter amplifys...

The "system" Ruff deployed was a 1-2-2. It's not rocket surgery. Wanna get crazy? Deploy a 1-3-1. There's no secrets, here. Hockey is very basic. 

Gallant didn't adjust, well maybe, but he also doesn't have the personnel to chip it in and pound their D. 

1 minute ago, Dunny said:

The "system" Ruff deployed was a 1-2-2. It's not rocket surgery. Wanna get crazy? Deploy a 1-3-1. There's no secrets, here. Hockey is very basic. 

Gallant didn't adjust, well maybe, but he also doesn't have the personnel to chip it in and pound their D.

Both things are true on once. I said something similar a bit ago when everyone was mad about him not shitting on them publicly a second time after game five.

Gallant didn't adjust because he probably can't adjust. Nothing about his coaching career suggests he's much of a tactician at all. He's just a really likeable guy that players really enjoy playing for. But quadrupling down on skill with the Kane trade locked the team in to live or die by their supreme PP offense.

11 minutes ago, Dunny said:

And that's great, no one said otherwise. But he made a change, correct? Did GG? Isn't part of coaching using the tools you have available to beat what the other team is trying to do to you? You know what would have helped in beating the Devils? GG deploying a 1-2-2 as well. Boring as shit. But he kept playing literally directly into the counterpunch NJ wanted.

Also, the high pressure PK NJ had...Change up the PP. Maybe go with 2D. Get pucks to the net. Simplify. Give less PP time the players who aren't doing what you're asking. It's coaching. It's not a lot to ask.

But changing the lines every period, that's the way!

Edited by Pete
  • VINNY! 1
  • Keeps it 100 1

I’m not saying the coaches have no impact or accountability. I am simply asking why some fans are giving the players a pass. Quite a few players were almost invisible. In no universe was Kane going to sit or be scratched. Not gonna happen after what it took to get him. Same with sitting any big name players. Sorry. It won’t happen. Does anyone really think the coaching staff did not tell the players to simplify? To be responsible with the puck? To dump and chase when a play isn’t there? I would venture a guess that the coaches repeated the need to get pucks on net and create traffic. When the players executed this, they had some success. The Devils had the horses to dictate play and pressure. It was up to the players to be smart. They were not. Coaches can coach until they are blue in the face. It is up to the players to play. 

Edited by FanaticsKnowBest

38 minutes ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

You make a lot of good points.  But these revolutionary suggestions, made from the safety of our couches, while we're not at our non-hockey jobs.....isn't that the point of an internet forum?

• Thanks 1
  • Applause 1

39 minutes ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

When did gallant join the forum? 

1 minute ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

I just joined today when I heard all the talk of me possibly being fired. I thought it may be a friendly space for me to vent. Richard Pryor Reaction GIF

It is a friendly space.

The thing with Gallant is that most of his bad decisions were made in September, and he never adjusted from them.

Yes, the players could, and should have done better, but the talent is there both offensively and defensively, and it was never properly utilized. A simple, defensive structure would have gone along way to helping this team win. And after watching this team the last two seasons, I still have no idea what the defensive structure actually is supposed to be. Granted I am no expert in this field, but clearly something was lacking here.

It’s also a coaches job to get his players to play the way he wants them to play. If we’re going to blame the players we also need to acknowledge that if they don’t play that way, why is he playing them and I get that he’s a players coach, and he’s loyal to his guys, but this is the playoffs you lose 2-3 games you’re done for. 

15 minutes ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

I just joined today when I heard all the talk of me possibly being fired. I thought it may be a friendly space for me to vent. Richard Pryor Reaction GIF

Seriously though, welcome aboard!!  You picked a heck of a day to jump in the pool, that's for sure!!!  But what the hell!  Hop in and have some fun with the crew!  We're a great bunch, albeit we're an aggravated bee's nest today!!

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

I’m not saying the coaches have no impact or accountability. I am simply asking why some fans are giving the players a pass. Quite a few players were almost invisible. In no universe was Kane going to sit or be scratched. Not gonna happen after what it took to get him. Same with sitting any big name players. Sorry. It won’t happen. Does anyone really think the coaching staff did not tell the players to simplify? To be responsible with the puck? To dump and chase when a play isn’t there? I would venture a guess that the coaches repeated the need to get pucks on net and create traffic. When the players executed this, they had some success. The Devils had the horses to dictate play and pressure. It was up to the players to be smart. They were not. Coaches can coach until they are blue in the face. It is up to the players to play. 

Try to remember, you joined today. We didn’t. So while some of your points are valid, the board isn’t giving the players a pass. We have been on a good number of them for quite a while. In the end though, you cannot fire all of the players. You can however change a team philosophy overnight via the coach. 

2 minutes ago, RichieNextel305 said:

All I know is that we just went from having Henrik to Igor. And I watched us waste away Henrik and him end up without a ring and it still kills me. We cannot have the same happen here. This is the biggest offseason in recent memory. 

I feel like we've been saying that the past 3 offseasons. 

drury is going to have to get creative for sure

• Keeps it 100 2

2 hours ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

Welcome.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here. I do think the issue falls on both sides but when the guys lose what feels like every every loose puck, board battle and is skated around all night in a game 7 and basically lays down like dogs that's on  players. But as a result the coach will lose his job. The effort on the ice was beyond disgraceful sans Igor.

To me all signs point to last year's playoffs as being a perfect example of fools goal.  They don't play the game with the intensity and speed as many of the teams in this years playoffs.

I hope you all took the time to order your "This Team Is Special" T-shirt today to memorialize this season.

Fuck.

• Like 1

To be clear I dont think anyone on here is giving anyone a pass besides maybe Igor. Scroll through the last 10 months of posts, how many people have called this team soft? how many time have I personally used the term "dump and dont chase" or something along those lines. This team couldnt win a faceoff to save its life.

There is plenty of blame to go around. GG is at the head of the table so he is getting his share.

Let me ask you this.. if Torts was the head coach do you think they would have played like this?

4 hours ago, FanaticsKnowBest said:

It is always comical to hear fans, in all sports, offer their expert opinions on their respective teams. As if they know soooooo much more than coaches, GMs, etc. Really easy to say what you would do when you risk nothing. Your “decision” or “choices” made from the safety of your couch. So I ask all of the brilliant hockey minds out there, while you take a break from your jobs (more than likely not hockey related), what amazing and awesome tactical moves could the coaching staff have made to turn the tide? At the end of the day, the players go out there and play. The players knew what it would take to beat the Devils. They didn’t get it done. If not for Igor, this doesn’t make it to Game 7. The Rangers made unforced errors all over the place. This is on the players. 

The point of joining and reading a hockey teams message board is what then? What should our conversations be?