• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Penguins Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/2022 at 04:00 PM

24 minutes ago, Parsley said:

That's what happens when this team is bulit (or leans too heavily) on their goalie. Goalie can't score GWG's.

I used to say the same thing when it was Hank in net for us in the playoffs. We went through a stretch where we lost 6 straight OT games in the playoffs, across different sets of Ranger teams. And I felt the same way, that all those teams relied too heavily on Henrik to make saves and just played conservative until the time to make a move came. No. Attack.

• Keeps it 100 2

1 hour ago, Phil said:

I don't take Reaves out, but I absolutely limit his minutes late in the game. His line was out against Crosby's line at numerous points, and that just can't happen.

I was rather confused on how many times I saw the Reaves line out there for offensive zone face-offs, even in OT.

1 hour ago, ThirtyONE said:

No chance I'd take Reaves out. If the Rangers can continue to play a heavy game they'll wear down the Pens. They were a bad call and a deflection away from winning last night. Playing 6 periods hurts the Pens more than it does the Rangers. Continue to pound them. 

Especially pound Malkin, he has a tendency to get frustrated and take stupid penalties.....

6 hours ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Reaves was done hitting after the 1st period, so I wouldn't mind putting Hunt in for him next game. We need a bit more pace and pressure. Goodrow - Rooney - Hunt can be a solid 4th line.

Rampage No GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

• LOL 1
  • LMFAO 1

6 hours ago, jsm7302 said:

No way. Dude played with heart all game and was noticeable each time on the ice. No way I'm taking Reavo out.

I was very impressed by his energy level throughout. Was all over the ice and noticeable. I didn't expect that at all. I keep him in until he loses that pep. Then I dress 7 Dmen, because Hunt is the least effective player in the entire organization. Ever.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, rmc51 said:

I don’t want to get on the 4th line too much, because they played well enough especially at the start to set a tone. But that is one slow fucking line. And they were skating in mud before it even hit OT. More pep required. Someone needs to come out, either Rooney or Reaves. That’s not much of a debate. It has to be Rooney.

Another issue: Chytil was 1 for 10 on faceoffs. Abused all night in the dot. Someone needs to be on that line who can be more competitive on draws. Yes, it would mean breaking up the kid line who otherwise had a good game. Chytil included. I don’t think you can move Copp off the Panarin line just for this purpose. He’s too productive there. There’s different directions to go here, but making sure Goodrow is paired with Chytil makes the most sense to me. I thought Chytil and Kakko were most effective on the kid line, so I’d go Goodrow-Chytil-Kakko and Lafreniere-Brodz-Reaves next game. This is not meant to be an indictment of Lafreniere, who gave good energy and physicality last night. Brodz over Rooney because we need more speed.

Rooney kills penalties and is just coming back from injury.  He'll get his wheels going and IMO is the best hockey player on the 4th line. He's brings more to the table than Hunt. Guys like that come through big in the playoffs. 

13 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Not going to lie I hated the idea of that kid line together but I thought they played really well.  I hope they continue to do so.

If they don't I kind of want to see what could possibly be an unpopular change.

Kreider Zib Laf

Panarin Strome Copp

Goodrow Chytil Kakko(Goodrow taking face offs when needed)

Vatrano Rooney Reaves

or, when Reaves is out

Brodzinsky Rooney Vatrano

I wouldn't do this as a demotion to Vatrano due to his play, just to mix things up. 

I wouldn't be against

Goodrow Chytil Vatrano

Brodzinsky Rooney Kakko...again, not due to Kakko's play in game 1, just to mix things up.  

Sure would be nice to have Motte right now.

Edited by SaveByRichter35

IMO. Bottom line is, you can't let a team that has the goalies the Pens have, beat this team and Shestyorkin. 

When Domingue was put in the game the Rangers got him some warm up shots by weakly lofting shots from the point.  You have to attack the shit out of the net and not let him get comfortable in that situation.  They failed there even more so than how they let DeSmith look like an elite starter, which he is far from. 

No net front presence. No cuts to the net and Zibanejad was extremely perimeter most of the night. His off wing one timer set up was too far to the outside and closer to the boards. Vatrano seemed to be going to the net in the 1st, but that's it for the game. 

I feel like Panarin was getting back into rhythm and got better as the game went on. Copp looks like hes fighting an ailment. So, that line may improve in the next game. 

Kid line was impressive. What a sweet goal set up by Kakko on the bullshit challenged goal. I'm expecting a heightened level of play from them. Kakko especially. 

Gallant needs to use his last change on home ice more wisely and also stop giving the 4th line O-zone starts. No need to do that. Just can't do that. 

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Agree. Kreider needs to do Carey Price things.

Not necessary against this fucking scrub. Chris Kreider simply needs to do CK52 things and this will be a W. The Rangers can't afford to fuck this up now. 

• Bullseye 2

6 minutes ago, Phil said:

Do Marty St. Louis to Dustin Tokarski things.

2 minutes ago, Karan said:

Not necessary against this fucking scrub. Chris Kreider simply needs to do CK52 things and this will be a W. The Rangers can't afford to fuck this up now. 

Nah.

spacer.png

It's not that Reaves did something to deserve being scratched; it's a matter of taking him out before he does, which, frankly is rather likely after a lumbering 35 year old plays two games in one night

I wonder if Vatrano and Laf would be a good match. Vatrano with the speed and for-checking and also a lethal left-handed shot from the right side. Sounds like a perfect fit for Laf tbh.

Kakko with Kreids-Zib didn't work all too well last time, but I think it's something that's worth considering. He looked strong last game, he's defensively responsible and he likes to hold the puck and keep possession in the O-zone. Something I feel the first line has struggled with lately.

K-Z-K

Panarin - Strome - Copp

Laf - Chytil - Vatrano

4L

• TroCheckmark 1

1 hour ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

I wonder if Vatrano and Laf would be a good match. Vatrano with the speed and for-checking and also a lethal left-handed shot from the right side. Sounds like a perfect fit for Laf tbh.

Kakko with Kreids-Zib didn't work all too well last time, but I think it's something that's worth considering. He looked strong last game, he's defensively responsible and he likes to hold the puck and keep possession in the O-zone. Something I feel the first line has struggled with lately.

K-Z-K

Panarin - Strome - Copp

Laf - Chytil - Vatrano

4L

I can't see changing anything from last game. They played well enough to win. They did win. 

• Bullseye 4

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I can't see changing anything from last game. They played well enough to win. They did win. 

The coaches have to be happy with how they played minus period 2. 

Smarter deployment against Crosby and Guentzel. Miller has been a beast for us. Im tasking Miller with shadowing Crosby.

Trouba looked slow in game 1. Hoping he bangs down a red bull and a PowerBar before game 2.

14 hours ago, The Dude said:

IMO. Bottom line is, you can't let a team that has the goalies the Pens have, beat this team and Shestyorkin. 

When Domingue was put in the game the Rangers got him some warm up shots by weakly lofting shots from the point.  You have to attack the shit out of the net and not let him get comfortable in that situation.  They failed there even more so than how they let DeSmith look like an elite starter, which he is far from. 

No net front presence. No cuts to the net and Zibanejad was extremely perimeter most of the night. His off wing one timer set up was too far to the outside and closer to the boards. Vatrano seemed to be going to the net in the 1st, but that's it for the game. 

I feel like Panarin was getting back into rhythm and got better as the game went on. Copp looks like hes fighting an ailment. So, that line may improve in the next game. 

Kid line was impressive. What a sweet goal set up by Kakko on the bullshit challenged goal. I'm expecting a heightened level of play from them. Kakko especially. 

Gallant needs to use his last change on home ice more wisely and also stop giving the 4th line O-zone starts. No need to do that. Just can't do that. 

I said this in the other thread but I'll repeat it here, by the time Domingue came in the Rangers had already played just about 5 periods and were sucking wind.  With rest and fresh legs coming at him he'll look more like the journeyman/AHL goalie he is.

• Keeps it 100 1