• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers-Penguins Round One — General Series Thread

Phil

How many games for the Rangers to win?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/03/2022 at 04:00 PM

3 minutes ago, Morphinity said:

I agree with the Rangers players' assessments that it was a 50/50 call. It wasn't clearly, super blatant goaltender interference. I think Kakko tried to avoid, but he inevitably made contact and they call that goaltender interference every time. It's just infuriating to see a defenseman get a free pass for pushing a player into his goalie though, negating a goal. 

I'm thinking if that was was Sid, that goal counts, Morph.  That's the sad part that I truly believe.  Either way, I liked what I saw in the first period last night and the kids had some really good jump.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • Keeps it 100 3

11 minutes ago, Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc said:

Reaves was done hitting after the 1st period, so I wouldn't mind putting Hunt in for him next game. We need a bit more pace and pressure. Goodrow - Rooney - Hunt can be a solid 4th line.

No way. Dude played with heart all game and was noticeable each time on the ice. No way I'm taking Reavo out.

• Like 4
  • Bullseye 1

3 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

No way. Dude played with heart all game and was noticeable each time on the ice. No way I'm taking Reavo out.

He was non-existent after the first period, and had a couple of solid shifts in the OTs....Other than that 2nd/3rd period I didnt even hear his name and he couldnt keep up.   He was out of gas after the first period.

Reaves is turning into the inspirational leader of this team.  I'd leave him be.  I thought he was fantastic last night, and played his role very well.  The matchups were not the best, as @Petepointed out in the GDT.  That's on Gallant. 

They'll be better in Game 2.

• Keeps it 100 1

12 minutes ago, jsm7302 said:

It's not about taking him out because he was bad. He did his job perfect, especially early in the game. He got crowd into it and helped the kids settle and created spaces.

I'm just saying, we played a triple OT, Reaves played more than he's done in many years. I think we could benefit from some fresh legs, especially a guy like Hunt with the energy and pressure he brings.

I'll have no problem with Reaves playing the next game, just saying it's an option.

• TroCheckmark 1

2 hours ago, Phil said:

Agreed. The icings, fine, maybe, but let's recognize what actually happened here. They abused the Penguins up 1-0 after one and thought this would be a cakewalk. It wasn't. They subsequently lost the game in the second giving up multiple goals and something like 18 shots against in 12 minutes.

The problem with blaming refs is it's always seen as whining to excuse shitty play, and I'm afraid that's exactly what it looks like this morning, too.

The Rangers blew this game. The Rangers. Not the refs. 18+ shots in 12 minutes.

Crosby + Guentzel on the ice at 5v5:

2-0 in goals
24-9 in shots
43-17 in attempted shots
30-3 in scoring chances
16-2 in "high-danger" scoring chances

That's the reason. Right there. Not the refs.

Why not both? There’s no excusing the Rangers letting the foot off the gas after going up 2-0. None at all. But I don’t understand what’s wrong with pointing out a lack of PP opportunities on top of it. The Rangers could have, and maybe should have, won regardless, but do we really think Pittsburgh only committed one infraction in that game? If the answer is no, should we expect it to be like that all series?

Edited by rmc51
  • Like 1

I don’t want to get on the 4th line too much, because they played well enough especially at the start to set a tone. But that is one slow fucking line. And they were skating in mud before it even hit OT. More pep required. Someone needs to come out, either Rooney or Reaves. That’s not much of a debate. It has to be Rooney.

Another issue: Chytil was 1 for 10 on faceoffs. Abused all night in the dot. Someone needs to be on that line who can be more competitive on draws. Yes, it would mean breaking up the kid line who otherwise had a good game. Chytil included. I don’t think you can move Copp off the Panarin line just for this purpose. He’s too productive there. There’s different directions to go here, but making sure Goodrow is paired with Chytil makes the most sense to me. I thought Chytil and Kakko were most effective on the kid line, so I’d go Goodrow-Chytil-Kakko and Lafreniere-Brodz-Reaves next game. This is not meant to be an indictment of Lafreniere, who gave good energy and physicality last night. Brodz over Rooney because we need more speed.

• Believe 1

33 minutes ago, rmc51 said:

I thought Chytil and Kakko were most effective on the kid line, so I’d go Goodrow-Chytil-Kakko and Lafreniere-Brodz-Reaves next game. This is not meant to be an indictment of Lafreniere, who gave good energy and physicality last night. Brodz over Rooney because we need more speed.

You can't put Laf on the 4th line after the game he had. Not saying he was great, but he was engaged and involved. Putting him on a 4th line now with Brodzinzki and Reaves will kill the guy.

Might be my eyes lie here, but I don't think Kreider - Zib - Vatrano has been good on 5v5. I might be wrong, but I just feel like there's something wrong with that line.

I'm sure GG won't overreact, but it would be interesting to see something like:

Kreider - Zib - Laf

Panarin - Strome - Copp

Goodrow - Chytil - Kakko

Hunt - Brodzinski - Vatrano

That 1st line has looked good before, and Laf's has been better lately. The 2nd line is fine as it is. Goodrow on the 3rd to help with the draw and some defensive stability. And that 4th line is the complete opposite of what we had this game. That 4th line got speed for days and would be an annoying line to play against.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phil said:

Agreed. The icings, fine, maybe, but let's recognize what actually happened here. They abused the Penguins up 1-0 after one and thought this would be a cakewalk. It wasn't. They subsequently lost the game in the second giving up multiple goals and something like 18 shots against in 12 minutes.

The problem with blaming refs is it's always seen as whining to excuse shitty play, and I'm afraid that's exactly what it looks like this morning, too.

The Rangers blew this game. The Rangers. Not the refs. 18+ shots in 12 minutes.

Crosby + Guentzel on the ice at 5v5:

2-0 in goals
24-9 in shots
43-17 in attempted shots
30-3 in scoring chances
16-2 in "high-danger" scoring chances

That's the reason. Right there. Not the refs.

After reading the top half I couldn't agree more even though it stings, bad. 

The Crosby and Guentzel #'s at 5v5 are shovels full of salt in the open wound.  If our best don't play a much different game next time out while we also figure out a way to slow down the Crosby line it could be a short series.  So much of this is what we've been saying for many months now (not playing a 60 min game, refusal to shoot, playing a perimeter game etc.) Certainly not over by any means, yet. So LGR.

Whether it be now (it better be now) and in the future, but this organization truly needs to bring someone in to help out the centers when it comes to faceoffs. I have rooted for this team my entire life, and can’t remember them ever being good on faceoffs. And the trend continues. And last night it hurt. I’ll never understand how we can suck so bad when it comes to them across years and different eras of hockey. It’s wild.

They've been taking draws their whole lives, I don't think there's much room for improvement in guys like Strome and Zibanejad. I'm sure it's been tried.

In the case of those two, it's something that was ignored, or discounted in their evaluation. Strome looks great as a 2C, until you understand he can't be trusted to take any meaningful draw, at any time. Nobody cares about that in October, but then the value becomes obvious in the playoffs.

Zibanejad is very similar in that vein, but Strome, at times, is nothing short of a C on paper, only. It's almost like pretending Gary Sanchez was actually a catcher. It can be very embarrassing.

Chytil may never get there, but at least he's young, so I can't immediately write him off.

Anyone else think you look at deploying a best-assembled checking line vs Crosby?

I would.

Thats a key tactic in this series

Id like to see that.

Crosby’s line is the threat.

Rangers D is better

Rangers Goaltending is better.

This series is won on forward matchups. 

But I think Gallant needs to come up with some sort of “specialized deployment” to deal with

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust

Maybe some combination intermittently of Copp/Goodrow/Kakko…?

IDK

But I’d be looking for a true checking option vs Crosby.

Got to neutralize him. 

• Keeps it 100 1

37 minutes ago, RangersIn7 said:

Anyone else think you look at deploying a best-assembled checking line vs Crosby?

I would.

Id like to see that.

Rangers D is better

But I think Gallant needs to come up with some sort of “specialized deployment” to deal with

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust

IDK

Got to neutralize him. 

I'm not a analytic guy but I'm curious if anyone has the stats on our top 6 at 5on5 especially compared to Crosby's line.  Was it as bad as it seemed is what I'd like to know

No chance I'd take Reaves out. If the Rangers can continue to play a heavy game they'll wear down the Pens. They were a bad call and a deflection away from winning last night. Playing 6 periods hurts the Pens more than it does the Rangers. Continue to pound them. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RangersIn7 said:

I would.

Id like to see that.

Rangers D is better

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust

IDK

Got to neutralize him. 

No, I think you have play your game, in this case. The Rangers are the better team, on paper, and in full personnel. Dictate the play.

Hopefully game 1 got the nerves out.

• Keeps it 100 1

7 minutes ago, Dunny said:

No, I think you have play your game, in this case. The Rangers are the better team, on paper, and in full personnel. Dictate the play.

Hopefully game 1 got the nerves out.

Agreed. The good news is, now they know what the Pens look like when they're on, so they have everything they need to study and course correct as needed. Personally, I'd start with returning to what they did for the first 23 minutes.

20 minutes ago, Phil said:

Agreed. The good news is, now they know what the Pens look like when they're on, so they have everything they need to study and course correct as needed. Personally, I'd start with returning to what they did for the first 23 minutes.

Yup...We stopped getting pucks behind their D on the rush.  We had too many failed clearing attempts, and turnovers at their blue line...and ours.  If we can continue to pound them into the glass behind their own net or make them go 200 feet every time, we're going to be golden.

I have no doubt we get back to that, boss.  We've seen how it works, and shouldn't be too hard for everyone to buy into that again!

We've seen the enemy and now they're ours!   We got this shit!

• TroCheckmark 1

37 minutes ago, Sod16 said:

1-5 in last six OT games going back to 2015 Conf. Finals.  Come on Hockey Gods!

That's what happens when this team is bulit (or leans too heavily) on their goalie. Goalie can't score GWG's.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

31 minutes ago, Phil said:

Yes but its pretty much inconceivable to keep up that type of game play for a full 60 minutes.....They expended so much energy in the first period that they were gassed as the game went on....Has to be some sort of fine line, and better coaching with matchups.  Focus on crushing Letang whenever possible, try and limit Crosby's space which is easier said than done.  Crash the net, make the goaltender uncomfortable, screen the goalie and SHOOT THE FUCKING PUCK.  What did the Pens do to have 83 shots on goal??? throw pucks at the net and try and get rebounds that were sitting at the feet of Shesterkin.  Panarin, he has to play like the superstar he is, he scores or dishes the puck regularly for scoring chances......we win.  

8 minutes ago, Blue Heaven said:

Yes but its pretty much inconceivable to keep up that type of game play for a full 60 minutes.....They expended so much energy in the first period that they were gassed as the game went on....Has to be some sort of fine line, and better coaching with matchups.  Focus on crushing Letang whenever possible, try and limit Crosby's space which is easier said than done.  Crash the net, make the goaltender uncomfortable, screen the goalie and SHOOT THE FUCKING PUCK.  What did the Pens do to have 83 shots on goal??? throw pucks at the net and try and get rebounds that were sitting at the feet of Shesterkin.  Panarin, he has to play like the superstar he is, he scores or dishes the puck regularly for scoring chances......we win.  

I'm not talking about the using their bodies as missiles on every shift thing. That's not sustainable over 60, no, but they played with the puck so much better in the first. Short, crisp passes. Way more control. Way more OZ time. They didn't hit themselves a two-goal lead. They worked for it. That can translate over 60.

• Like 1
  • Bullseye 1
  • TroCheckmark 1